Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juice
Jun 19, 2002

Naramyth posted:

Too bad I am loving retarded and ordered a holster for a LCR not a LCP :eng99:

Sounds like a great reason to buy a new gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

You see now you have to buy an LCR and send it to me with that holster. Can't waste all that money you know...

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Helter Skelter posted:

Any random belt buckle, as long as it's the right size for the belt width. A 1.25" buckle probably won't fit a 1.5" belt, and a 1.75" buckle will probably look goofy on a smaller belt.

That's cool. I have this awesome Jim Beam belt buckle, but I don't have a belt to put it on.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

infrared35 posted:

That's cool. I have this awesome Jim Beam belt buckle, but I don't have a belt to put it on.

I have a belt and no buckle, so you should give it to me.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

May have been posted before but here is a good read on defensive handgun ammunition

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Black Stormy posted:

Your SP101 will probably be easier to conceal. I could actually conceal an SP101 in a Galco OWB under a loose t-shirt. My Glock pretty much has to be IWB.

I suppose so, but I feel like I'd rather have the gun be IWB anyway just to keep it as close as possible. I'm a :btroll:, too, so my shirts aren't really long enough.

Any other opinions, oh great internet? I have a lengthy pro/con list of the two.

Ruger SP101 - .357 Magnum Revolver:
+ I have lots of reloadable brass for it
- $30 for 100 rounds (100rds being the minimum I want to shoot in a range session)
- No time to reload = no time to shoot = buying ammo = higher range cost, or no range trip
+ I want a "beater" gun to shoot and put a lot of wear on
+Keeping means not putting wear on my S&W revolvers that I inherited from my grandad
- Reloading lower power loads anyway would keep wear to a minimum - besides, guns were meant to be shot
- I only shoot 38spl - would a dedicated 38spl gun[ie, one of my S&Ws] suffice for fun time at the range?
- I already have a beater gun to put wear on and reload for, my Redhawk
+ It's a revolver
- Bobbed hammer
+++ Mostly carry in my truck. It's true.
My range time for just this gun would be ~$45 at a local indoor range

Glock 19, 9mm semi-auto pistol:
- No desire to reload 9mm now
+ $20 for 100 rounds
+ My range time for just this gun would be ~$32 at a local indoor range.
+ "Buy and shoot" - No time to reload? Just buy a box and shoot it. Only thing cheaper is 22lr
- Higher range costs in the long run
- Who would trade? Trading would probably cost me money.
+ More accessories, lots of cheap accessories (It's very very common gun in a super common round)
+ If I am going to move up to carrying my gun on my belt instead of in my pocket, I might as well increase my magazine capacity
- I'd have to buy a holster for it
- If I got bored with my 1911, why wouldn't I get bored with this one?
- Ammo isn't as cheap as 22lr
- I haven't shot one in forever. It feels nice in my hands, but how does it feel to shoot? How well do I shoot with it?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

May have been posted before but here is a good read on defensive handgun ammunition

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Conclusion: Penetration and girth :quagmire:

Interesting read about the psychological effects of how quick the body will give up, though.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

QuarkMartial posted:

I suppose so, but I feel like I'd rather have the gun be IWB anyway just to keep it as close as possible. I'm a :btroll:, too, so my shirts aren't really long enough.

Any other opinions, oh great internet? I have a lengthy pro/con list of the two.

Ruger SP101 - .357 Magnum Revolver:

- Bobbed hammer

Bobbed hammers are a good thing for CCW. The hammers can do lots of fun stuff, including snagging on a draw, and the most fun sounding, jamming up into your ribs and side when you bend over for something. With a short barrel revolver, you have a lot of options for IWB. An SP101 would be pretty much perfect for IWB appendix carry.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

rifles posted:

Bobbed hammers are a good thing for CCW. The hammers can do lots of fun stuff, including snagging on a draw, and the most fun sounding, jamming up into your ribs and side when you bend over for something. With a short barrel revolver, you have a lot of options for IWB. An SP101 would be pretty much perfect for IWB appendix carry.

Woops. I should explain that one. I know why bobbed hammers are a good thing. I bobbed mine myself, and while I did a fine job of it and didn't do any other bubba'ing to the gun, a potential buyer might see it as a red flag. Or may not want a bobbed hammer.

Shedman
Apr 3, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Both are good choices.
Only pro I would add is many more holster options out there for the Glock.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Shedman posted:

Both are good choices.
Only pro I would add is many more holster options out there for the Glock.

I keep waffling on it. I'll just wait a while and buy a Glock and have both.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

QuarkMartial posted:

I keep waffling on it. I'll just wait a while and buy a Glock and have both.

This is always the best choice.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Juice posted:

Sounds like a great reason to buy a new gun.

That was my second thought after opening the box. :haw:

Insane Totoro posted:

You see now you have to buy an LCR and send it to me with that holster. Can't waste all that money you know...

HEY INSANE TOTORO TAKE MY HOLSTER :confuoot:

I emailed the guy and he is taking care of it no question, even though it a lefty OD green holster. He is getting my free advertising for awhile.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Ask him if he has managed to get a dummy gun to make a P238 pocket holster. I've only been asking him since July.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

GroovinPickle posted:

Ask him if he has managed to get a dummy gun to make a P238 pocket holster. I've only been asking him since July.

Did you check his site? It is an option in the list for pocket holsters.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

HOLY gently caress

I've emailed him seven times, the last of which was March 31. He responded most of those times, telling me that he's still working on it. I had pretty much given up.

edit: ordered two, so I can give my dad one for father's day

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 13, 2011

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

What is a good revolver to look at for pocket carry? Thinking of the LCR but open to other ideas.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

S&W J-frames, specifically the aluminum frame concealed hammer .38 Specials, in stainless (642) or blued (442).

The aluminum frames are a lot lighter than the steel framed versions, which is obviously an important consideration for pocket carry. They make titanium alloy frames too but those cost a lot more and don't lose nearly as much weight versus an aluminum frame as an aluminum frame versus steel. You can get .357 Magnum J-frames but IIRC .357 doesnt have much of an advantage over .38 Special in short barrels. You can also get shrouded hammers like the 638 which will let you shoot in single action versus the DAO concealed hammers but IMO you're unlikely to use single action in self defense so get a concealed hammer model.

No matter what get a pre-lock model. S&W did a run of a couple thousand lockless 642s a couple years ago, it shouldnt be too hard to find one.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Craptacular posted:

S&W J-frames, specifically the aluminum frame concealed hammer .38 Specials, in stainless (642) or blued (442).

The aluminum frames are a lot lighter than the steel framed versions, which is obviously an important consideration for pocket carry. They make titanium alloy frames too but those cost a lot more and don't lose nearly as much weight versus an aluminum frame as an aluminum frame versus steel. You can get .357 Magnum J-frames but IIRC .357 doesnt have much of an advantage over .38 Special in short barrels. You can also get shrouded hammers like the 638 which will let you shoot in single action versus the DAO concealed hammers but IMO you're unlikely to use single action in self defense so get a concealed hammer model.

No matter what get a pre-lock model. S&W did a run of a couple thousand lockless 642s a couple years ago, it shouldnt be too hard to find one.

Cool. How much can I expect to pay for one? Does anybody else (ruger?) offer an alternative? a pocket pistol is definitely on the short list. My buddy is considering selling his LCP but frankly I dont really like 380 very much and a snubbie would provide better ballistics.

also are they enjoyable at all to shoot with softer .38 spl loads?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I've seen them under $400 lately. I think Bud's has/had them for around $360. Local shops still price them at around $450.

They aren't very fun to shoot due to the short sight radius, but they're not bad with WWB ammo. A poor grip and some Gold Dot +Ps resulted in a cracked thumbnail and a little blood for me.

I sold mine after I got my P238, which for me is more fun to shoot, more accurate, and much more concealable in the pocket.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

GroovinPickle posted:

I sold mine after I got my P238, which for me is more fun to shoot, more accurate, and much more concealable in the pocket.

Yeah, I'm not .380's biggest fan, but I do think it's ideal for pocket carry guns (besides maybe a Rohrbaugh R9 in 9mm). I've never found a revolver that I'd enjoy trying to carry in my pocket.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kommienzuspadt posted:

What is a good revolver to look at for pocket carry? Thinking of the LCR but open to other ideas.

Have you handled Ty's LCP at all? I'd bet that would fit in a pocket just as easily as an LCR would, and you get two more shots.

Is this CT summer carry?

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.

Anyone here have a CCW in MD? From what I can tell it is almost impossible to get one here. You have to pay $117 just to get rejected because your "reason isn't good enough".

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Any other decent IWB holsters besides the CTAC for a J-frame? The idea of kydex against my skin sounds very unappealing.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Grimey Drawer

Crossbreed makes a Supertuck Deluxe for J-frames.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Cool. How much can I expect to pay for one? Does anybody else (ruger?) offer an alternative? a pocket pistol is definitely on the short list. My buddy is considering selling his LCP but frankly I dont really like 380 very much and a snubbie would provide better ballistics.

also are they enjoyable at all to shoot with softer .38 spl loads?

There's a few listed on Gunbroker for under $400. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?source-id=Mozilla%20Firefox&Keywords=103810&pbSearch=Search

I don't shoot mine all that often but it doesn't particularly hurt to shoot it.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Chantilly Say posted:

Have you handled Ty's LCP at all? I'd bet that would fit in a pocket just as easily as an LCR would, and you get two more shots.

Is this CT summer carry?

The LCR is a fat whore. It isn't suited to pocket carry at all. I couldn't even pocket carry it comfortably in baggy cargo shorts. MAYBE with the boot grip, but I doubt it.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Chantilly Say posted:

Is this CT summer carry?

I have thought about Ty's LCP. It will depend the price he pitches me. I just dont like .380 very much...

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I have thought about Ty's LCP. It will depend the price he pitches me. I just dont like .380 very much...

Do you not like the recoil, or the terminal ballistics? If it is the latter, get some of these: http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127

I wouldn't shoot them regularly, and the manual tells you not to shoot +p out of it, but I didn't have any issues running them through mine.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I thought the same thing, until I pulled the trigger (literally, on a live round) on the P238. The LCP, while attractive in size and price, had/has a reputation for being "snappy." The P238 has a short-recoil action and feels like a pea shooter with standard ammo. I can do 3-4 round dumps into an 8" target at 15 feet no problem with the P238, but I never felt comfortable with anything but point-shooting with the J-frame, and it was slow with that heavy DAO trigger.

Some people complain about the P238's reliability, and my dad had one that wasn't 100% perfect, but like with any defensive gun, I put enough rounds through it to be confident with it, and Sig will generally take care of you with their CS if you need (in my experience, anyway).

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Black Stormy posted:

Do you not like the recoil, or the terminal ballistics? If it is the latter, get some of these: http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127

I wouldn't shoot them regularly, and the manual tells you not to shoot +p out of it, but I didn't have any issues running them through mine.

The latter. Hmm.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Doesn't the LCP use the same short recoil method as the 238? I know the Sig is more pleasant to shoot, but the Ruger is certainly not a blowback handwhacker.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GroovinPickle posted:

I thought the same thing, until I pulled the trigger (literally, on a live round) on the P238. The LCP, while attractive in size and price, had/has a reputation for being "snappy." The P238 has a short-recoil action and feels like a pea shooter with standard ammo. I can do 3-4 round dumps into an 8" target at 15 feet no problem with the P238, but I never felt comfortable with anything but point-shooting with the J-frame, and it was slow with that heavy DAO trigger.

Some people complain about the P238's reliability, and my dad had one that wasn't 100% perfect, but like with any defensive gun, I put enough rounds through it to be confident with it, and Sig will generally take care of you with their CS if you need (in my experience, anyway).

For Christ's sake , this. The P238 is awesome and my favorite pocket carry. I have liked mine so much I gave away 3 as gifts. None have had any problems with any ammo. Still pissed they came out with the pinkie mag after I got mine.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Uncle Caveman posted:

blowback handwhacker.

Sounds like a sexy pulp novel from the late '50s.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

bulletsponge13 posted:

For Christ's sake , this. The P238 is awesome and my favorite pocket carry. I have liked mine so much I gave away 3 as gifts. None have had any problems with any ammo. Still pissed they came out with the pinkie mag after I got mine.

Any chance you want to give me one too :shobon:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Maybe like a cash-for-clunkers deal where people turn in their LCPs to get a voucher for a P238 :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A quick question for you CCW guys. Is a non-resident permit for a state only valid in that state, or is it honored by all states that accept the resident permit?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Grimey Drawer

Generally all states that accept that permit, but there are some exceptions.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Arrath posted:

A quick question for you CCW guys. Is a non-resident permit for a state only valid in that state, or is it honored by all states that accept the resident permit?

I don't think nonresident permits are honored most of the time. Do you have a specific state combination in mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

thermobollocks posted:

I don't think nonresident permits are honored most of the time. Do you have a specific state combination in mind?

I'm looking into getting an OR non-res permit since they don't honor my WA state one, and wondering how that would apply. Seems to be a non-issue though, as it looks like all the states that honor the Oregon permit honor the Washington permit (and then some).

• Locked thread