Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I've been asking Alan for almost a year about making his pocket holster for a P238, and they've only been available for a little over a month, I think. I ordered two, one for my standard model and one for my dad's HD, and then stumbled upon that same thread. The HD slide is just under 0.1" wider than mine, a June 2010 production model. I don't have a newer-production standard model to check, but I suspect that the dimensions are the same as on the HD slide.

Mine fits perfectly but my dad's HD model would not. If you have a caliper handy, would you measure the front of the slide at its widest point? Mine is 0.745".

Also, what's your take on the aholster pocket holster? It seems as though it's a better fit for slim pockets. With my old holster I'd use my right thumb to keep the holster in place while drawing, but the aholster depends on catching on the inside of your pocket in just the right place.

It does do an exceptional job of concealing the shape while still being thin, so bonus points for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

GroovinPickle posted:

but the aholster depends on catching on the inside of your pocket in just the right place.
my experience with it has been that "just the right place" translates to "the entire pocket surface," whether it's jeans, slacks or cargo pants. I've never had it come out during a draw at all.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Are your pockets coated in rubberized course-grid sandpaper? I can easily draw the gun and holster completely out of the pocket just by gripping the gun as you would for a draw. The Kydex slides easily in a pocket, whereas something like the rubberized material on a DeSantis Nemesis would not. Of course, that type of material makes for a thicker holster.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

GroovinPickle posted:

Are your pockets coated in rubberized course-grid sandpaper?

Makes for better pocket pool.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

nope, normal pockets. It helps to angle the gun to the right or left when drawing from a larger pocket, but 90% of the time I'm wearing jeans and it has always snagged no matter what angle.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ok guys.

Glock 26 vs Snubbie vs Walther PPS. Go!

I came into some money and want to spend (some) of it on a new gun.

I am leaning towards G26 as I already have an MTAC that will fit and it takes G19/G17 mags and many spare parts. I also have a rear sight I could install. also can shoot GSSF matches with it.

PPS is... thinner...? i think thats its only advantage.

j frames are revolvers and theoretically smaller. i dunno.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Go by how they feel in your hand, not how they measure on paper. G26 is too thick imo to be worth the minimal size difference from the G19, which is why I sold mine. Being able to share mags & holsters is nice but in reality how often will you need to do so?

I haven't handled a J-frame often enough to form an more detailed opinion but after carrying my Dad's LCR to get the feel of it, a .38 snubbie doesn't offer any amazing advantages to me over a subcompact 9mm - thicker, less capacity, slower to reload. I'm sure I'll get a 642 at some point but it's not a priority.

The PPS feels much slimmer and more compact to me than the G26. I also prefer to carry singlestack guns since I can easily slip a spare mag into a back pocket if a mag pouch isn't practical.

plus it just looks better which is important :colbert:

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 8, 2011

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

ok guys.

I am leaning towards G26 as I already have an MTAC that will fit and it takes G19/G17 mags and many spare parts. I also have a rear sight I could install. also can shoot GSSF matches with it.

I can get a full grip on the PPS with the 7 or 8 round mag, and if you put a larger mag with a grip extension in the G26, you might as well be carrying your G19 anyways. I don't mind the Glock trigger by any means but the PPS trigger is one of the first striker triggers I've really liked. That said, obviously the PPS doesn't touch Glocks in terms of aftermarket if that's a concern for you, and mags cost $crazy, although it comes with two anyways.

I'm not a big G26 fan. They're great guns, I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but I'd rather have a full grip and a slimmer profile for a carry gun as opposed to a thicker one with a half grip. I know you don't grip with your pinky but I'm just more comfortable having a full grip. it's accurate as hell too.

As far as subcompacts go, the PPS is one of the most comfortable shooters I've fired as well. There isn't a ton of snap in them or anything.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

How often do you guys clean your pocket/IWB guns?

Just normal lint and crap stuck behind the trigger and whatnot. Not a lot by any means, but cat hair and stuff get lodged in every crevice it can.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I just spray it with an air duster once a week or so; they only get cleaned/oiled after they've been to the range.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Just got my new BeltMan belt here at the office. It's fits perfectly and looks great! I can't wait to try it out with my MTAC and G19. :toot:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

M.C. McMic posted:

Just got my new BeltMan belt here at the office. It's fits perfectly and looks great! I can't wait to try it out with my MTAC and G19. :toot:

TFR combo

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

thermobollocks posted:

TFR combo

Yup.

Now, what I really need is a pocket gun and holster for this Texas heat. Too bad I'm blowing all my money on my house right now. :(

edit: Does a Sig 232 work as a pocket gun?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Saw this in the deals thread: while I have no idea how suitable they are for carry, but 5.11's having a closeout sale a belt -- it's $5 (though shipping starts at $8)

They've also got single and double mag pouches for $5 too.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Uncle Caveman posted:

plus it just looks better which is important :colbert:

I know you're not saying a PPS looks better than a J-frame. :nyd:

M.C. McMic posted:

edit: Does a Sig 232 work as a pocket gun?

It's a little large and heavy for pocket carry, but it can be done if the pockets are big enough and you have a decent pocket holster.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

infrared35 posted:

I know you're not saying a PPS looks better than a J-frame. :nyd:
who would you rather have in your pocket

or

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

More like, who would I rather have in my pocket:

or

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kommienzuspadt posted:

ok guys.

Get a PPS, unless you really want to play Gotta Catch 'Em All with 9mm Glocks. I would anticipate that there will be far more situations where you could carry a PPS but not your 19 than situations where you could carry a 26 but not the 19.

Also, if I understand what Ty was saying at the match Sunday they've changed the categories for GSSF so there's no longer a subcompact category. You would shoot the 26 against 19s and 17s.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

infrared35 posted:

ain't no j-frame in .44 I ever heard of

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Uncle Caveman posted:

ain't no j-frame in .44 I ever heard of

A five-shot K-frame in .44 is just a J-frame on steroids. :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I know I've said this over and over but it still holds true:

The PPS is the single-stack Glock everyone's been wanting for years now.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

I'll also throw my admittedly inexperienced hat into the mix. The PPS's size difference may not seem like a big deal on paper, but it's night and day when shoved into your pants. With the flush fit 6 round magazine it's god drat invisible.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I wasn't going to say anything here, since I feel like half of my posts in TFR are me raving about the PPS, but...yeah, the PPS is pretty much my perfect carry gun. Great trigger, highly accurate, thin enough that you don't even know it's there, and a pleasure to shoot/practice with.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

I know I've said this over and over but it still holds true:

The PPS is the single-stack Glock everyone's been wanting for years now.

I'm trying to convince myself to get one, but I hate the mag release on the trigger guard and the little loaded chamber indicator on the back of the slide is stupid. But I'll probably end up with one anyways. The trigger is very Glock-like, which is a plus in my book.

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about the Ruger LCR for concealed? Seems perfect to me, I've started shoveling money away before my 21st so I can invest in one. Small, light hammerless revolver seems pretty perfect to me.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Craptacular posted:

I'm trying to convince myself to get one, but I hate the mag release on the trigger guard and the little loaded chamber indicator on the back of the slide is stupid. But I'll probably end up with one anyways. The trigger is very Glock-like, which is a plus in my book.

Why does the LTI bother you? It's not like you can feel it and as far as I can tell, it has no effect on the feel or operation of the gun. Seems like a weird thing to be bugged by.

I love the mag release, but I also have action figure sized hands and can't hit a normal one without turning the gun awkwardly.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I find LCIs objectionable because if you need to know if the gun is loaded then you should check the chamber, not rely on the LCI. It promotes lazy habits.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

cory ad portas posted:

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about the Ruger LCR for concealed? Seems perfect to me, I've started shoveling money away before my 21st so I can invest in one. Small, light hammerless revolver seems pretty perfect to me.

It's my pocket gun. It's far from something you'll want to shoot at the range a lot but it's great in a Nemesis.

Also it's a striker indicator like the XD's, not an LCI. The LCI is just that gap at the back of the barrel.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Craptacular posted:

I find LCIs objectionable because if you need to know if the gun is loaded then you should check the chamber, not rely on the LCI. It promotes lazy habits.

I agree. Which is why I check the chamber and don't rely on the LCI. :)

DJExile posted:

Also it's a striker indicator like the XD's, not an LCI. The LCI is just that gap at the back of the barrel.

..aaaand I'm an idiot. So yeah, what DJ said.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 9, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

I don't find the cocked striker or loaded chamber indicators to be a big deal. They don't hamper the performance of the gun in any way, so just ignore them. Are you worried about them setting a precedent with stupid "safety" features? The quicksafe backstrap is a far worse problem and one I can see as a legitimate complaint.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Bummey posted:

The quicksafe backstrap is a far worse problem and one I can see as a legitimate complaint.

Yeah that too, I forgot about it.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

The backstrap never actually needs to be removed :ssh:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

But it's another potential point of failure.

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.
Are LCI's really safety features? I thought they were just to make a press check unnecessary. More of a "I want a round in the chamber, is there one?" rather than "I think my gun is unloaded, let me hand it to my grandma."

Also the striker indicator is nice on the PPS for similar reasons. I'm a little OCD about things like "did I put my wallet/keys back in my pocket?" or "Did I remember to close the garage door." I know my keys are in my pocket, but I still do the pocket slap every time I stand up or change locations.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

My Steyrs got an LCI on the back of the slide, if I feel a nub sticking out when I thumb it Ill press-check it to make sure its loaded. I wouldnt replace press-checks with it though.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

darnzen posted:

Are LCI's really safety features? I thought they were just to make a press check unnecessary. More of a "I want a round in the chamber, is there one?" rather than "I think my gun is unloaded, let me hand it to my grandma."

Also the striker indicator is nice on the PPS for similar reasons. I'm a little OCD about things like "did I put my wallet/keys back in my pocket?" or "Did I remember to close the garage door." I know my keys are in my pocket, but I still do the pocket slap every time I stand up or change locations.

The LCI (and I'm betting the striker indicator, but I'm not so sure there) are a couple of the things you need for import, and I believe LCIs are required to make them legal in a couple states.

A striker indicator is as useless on the PPS as it is on the XD (ED: and the Steyr). If you've got a round in the pipe, there's no way the striker isn't ready to fire.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

DJExile posted:

A striker indicator is as useless on the PPS as it is on the XD (ED: and the Steyr). If you've got a round in the pipe, there's no way the striker isn't ready to fire.

Im not sure about the XD, but the LCI on the Steyr will only come out if theres a round in the chamber. Theres a little pin that sticks out of the bolt face that presses against the back of the loaded round that would press the LCI out. There is no 'strikers ready' indicator at all.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Gray Stormy posted:

Im not sure about the XD, but the LCI on the Steyr will only come out if theres a round in the chamber. Theres a little pin that sticks out of the bolt face that presses against the back of the loaded round that would press the LCI out. There is no 'strikers ready' indicator at all.

My bad. I know that little nub you're talking about and always assumed it was a striker indicator as well.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DJExile posted:

If you've got a round in the pipe, there's no way the striker isn't ready to fire.

Chamber a round, remove the magazine, remove the backstrap, replace the backstrap, replace the magazine. On my PPS, there's a round in the chamber and the striker indicator is now off.

I found that out after months of carrying the gun. When I had to lock the gun up if we were going somewhere that didn't allow carry (almost always a restaurant), I'd remove the backstrap and take it with me as a tiny bit of extra security. Obviously Joe Gun Thief wouldn't be bothered, but I think the gun would be useless to your standard smash and grab idiot. Anyway, after doing this who knows how many times, I finally noticed that the striker indicator was off. It takes a special kind of stupid for this to have never occurred to me, because when you remove the backstrap, it makes a very audible clicking sound. I guess I figured it was just some internal safety and never thought it decocked the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

The LCI on the XD only pops out when said chamber is loaded.

• Locked thread