Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

DJExile posted:

If you've got a round in the pipe, there's no way the striker isn't ready to fire.
Yes
The only way to be chambered without cocked on the XD is a misfire. You can't load a round without cocking it (though you can easily cock it without chambering. It only takes about 3mm to cock the striker).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Taking the WV CCW class this weekend with a few shooting buddys.

If all goes well next weekend should be a "new gun weekend".

New gun weekends are the best.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Yes
The only way to be chambered without cocked on the XD is a misfire. You can't load a round without cocking it (though you can easily cock it without chambering. It only takes about 3mm to cock the striker).

I can't speak to the XD, but again, you can have a round in the chamber of a PPS without the striker being cocked.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

I can't believe how big of a difference having this Belt Man belt makes, despite reading all the reviews in this thread. It's like night and day.

My gun/holster conceal so much better, and it's infinitely more comfortable. I no longer feel like my gun is pulling my pants down or trying to lean away from my body. It's just snug up against my side.

It even draws easier because the belt has so much less give. I might even go so far as to say the belt is the most important part of the gun/holster/belt equation.

I'm pretty amazed. Best purchase I've made in a while.

P.S. The belt is great whether you're carrying or not.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A good holster is still essential, though. It's one of those cases where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Good belt + lovely holster = crappy experience.
Good holster + lovely belt = also very sub-optimal.
Good holster + good belt = sunshine and kittens.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Is there a good holster for holding a compact pistol (I have a Glock 19) in a cargo pants pocket? I can fit my gun in it pretty comfortably but is there a holster that's made for carrying like this? I find it so much easier than having to wear an IWB holster.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

No, there isn't. A cargo pocket wouldn't work well, the gun would flop around too much when you walked.

Carry methods that depend on a specific style of clothing (e.g. cargo pants/shorts) is suboptimal. One or two methods that work with many different styles is better.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Risky posted:

Is there a good holster for holding a compact pistol (I have a Glock 19) in a cargo pants pocket? I can fit my gun in it pretty comfortably but is there a holster that's made for carrying like this? I find it so much easier than having to wear an IWB holster.

That's going to look awkward as hell when you have a loaded Glock 19 swinging one pant leg around as you walk. I can't think of anything that would facilitate that unless you built something yourself. That said, if you're not big on IWB carry, the Glock 19 just isn't going to suit you well for concealed :shobon:, you might want to look into guns like the LCP, LCR, or one of the airweight S&Ws.

E: CRAPTACULAR :doom:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

That said, if you're not big on IWB carry, the Glock 19 just isn't going to suit you well for concealed :shobon:

You could probably OWB it.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

thermobollocks posted:

You could probably OWB it.

Wow yeah I can't believe I didn't think of that. :downs:

There are some very good OWB holsters that conceal nicely under a 2nd shirt. Maybe not the best thing ever in the summer but there's certainly worse options.

Risky
May 18, 2003

DJExile posted:

Wow yeah I can't believe I didn't think of that. :downs:

There are some very good OWB holsters that conceal nicely under a 2nd shirt. Maybe not the best thing ever in the summer but there's certainly worse options.

I'm in Florida so it gets really drat hot out here. I'm actually considering the purchase of a CZ RAMI just so I can carry in a cargo pocket but I really love my Glock and would rather carry that. I'm not totally against IWB carry at all but I thought there might be some type of cargo pocket holster alternative that conforms to the pocket and keeps the gun from rolling all over the place and kept it somewhat balanced when walking around.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Risky posted:

I'm in Florida so it gets really drat hot out here. I'm actually considering the purchase of a CZ RAMI just so I can carry in a cargo pocket but I really love my Glock and would rather carry that. I'm not totally against IWB carry at all but I thought there might be some type of cargo pocket holster alternative that conforms to the pocket and keeps the gun from rolling all over the place and kept it somewhat balanced when walking around.

Really, if you want to carry in a pocket, buy a pocket gun. But still don't carry in a cargo pocket.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Risky posted:

Cut that pocket out of your pants and strap the 19 to your thigh.

More seriously, a 19 isn't a pocket-carry gun. You really want to have it IWB.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Risky posted:

Duct tape the shorts to your leg, above and below the cargo pocket so that it doesnt bounce around.

VVV I've got an rear end like Dale Gribble.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 10, 2011

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Duct tape the shorts to your leg, above and below the cargo pocket so that it doesnt bounce around.

Nice rear end.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Orange thigh highs? That's hot.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Chantilly Say posted:

Get a PPS, unless you really want to play Gotta Catch 'Em All with 9mm Glocks. I would anticipate that there will be far more situations where you could carry a PPS but not your 19 than situations where you could carry a 26 but not the 19.

Also, if I understand what Ty was saying at the match Sunday they've changed the categories for GSSF so there's no longer a subcompact category. You would shoot the 26 against 19s and 17s.

I thought that was just subcompact .45/10mms...

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

evilnissan posted:

Taking the WV CCW class this weekend with a few shooting buddys.

If all goes well next weekend should be a "new gun weekend".

New gun weekends are the best.

whatre you getting?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I thought that was just subcompact .45/10mms...

Hmm, could be. Ask him, I guess.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Naramyth posted:

Nice rear end.

Some people don't need "rear end"

Edit: gently caress forgot to swap the Front/Back labels :/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Micromancer posted:

Some people don't need "rear end"

Edit: gently caress forgot to swap the Front/Back labels :/

So, crapping your pants is an integral part of concealed carry with cargo shorts?

VSEPR
Jun 18, 2008

M.C. McMic posted:

So, crapping your pants is an integral part of concealed carry with cargo shorts?

Its the Magpul Way:

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Risky posted:

Even if you get a good holster to keep it from shifting in the pocket, it is still going to be banging against your leg and into every drat thing around you. If that doesn't bother you then go for it, but I tried that with a 15 oz 442 just to see how feasible it was and that poo poo drove me insane very quickly. Have you tried carrying with your normal method in the heat? I used to IWB a 1911 or FS M&P when I lived in Florida and it wasn't any worse than wearing my normal clothes. I was in the panhandle though so it wasn't quite as bad as the rest of the state but it was in the 90s with extremely high humidity.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Now I am thinking about other single stack 9mms... are the S&W 3913 slim or is that just a silly idea?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Now I am thinking about other single stack 9mms... are the S&W 3913 slim or is that just a silly idea?

They're pretty slim, but they can be a little on the heavy side. I always push the idea of the USP Compact, which has a slimmer grip than most single-stack pistols.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

infrared35 posted:

They're pretty slim, but they can be a little on the heavy side. I always push the idea of the USP Compact, which has a slimmer grip than most single-stack pistols.

But like 2x the price of the 3913

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

AIM still has .40 LEM USPc's for $560

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1HKUSPC40&name=H%26K+USP+Compact+.40SW+Pistol&groupid=3

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone have recommendations for a leg/ankle holster that would be suitable for a G26?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

fffff

I've already got one and I still want to take advantage of that offer.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

FormulaXFD posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a leg/ankle holster that would be suitable for a G26?

Do you have big fat cankles? Do you like to wear bell bottoms? If neither is true, G26 ankle carry is probably not suitable.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I'm trying to come up with a solution for my first carry given that on most days I wear business casual with fitted dress shirts. My slacks have some give and figured that might be workable. Next solution might be a tailored pocket holster. (I just completed my CHL course at the County Sheriff's office, whee)

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

FormulaXFD posted:

I'm trying to come up with a solution for my first carry given that on most days I wear business casual with fitted dress shirts. My slacks have some give and figured that might be workable. Next solution might be a tailored pocket holster. (I just completed my CHL course at the County Sheriff's office, whee)

You might be able to appendix carry something small, but you'll still have somewhat of a shirt in the way. If you're good at sewing, you could also turn some of your shirts' buttons into snaps.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I just picked up a BLACKHAWK! IWB for my J-frame Smith. It's pretty nice.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

infrared35 posted:

I just picked up a BLACKHAWK! IWB for my J-frame Smith. It's pretty nice.

So, what's the consensus on Blackhawk? Junk, gimmick, you could do better but it works?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Successfully pocket carrying a G26 is even more difficult than successful ankle carry. If you want to stick with the G26, try IWB with a tuckable holster. If not, get something smaller (J-frame or single stack .380/9mm auto) and try pocket carry. Some dress pants still don't have suitable pockets though, so I'd suggest trying the G26 IWB first.

You'll need a better gun belt, so you might as well get a Comp-tac CTAC or MTAC with v-clips and a belt with velcro on the inside (or the equivalent holster & belt from another manufacturer, but I don't know if anyone makes one) so you don't get awkward questions about what those strange clips on your belt are.

Now my question:

Does anyone pocket carry a Walther PPS? I'm liking my J-frames less and less as I shoot them more and would like to go back to an auto for pocket carry. Is it too big for pocket carry or not?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I ankle-carried my G26 exactly once. In bell-bottoms. Even then it was awkward as hell.

(both the ankle- carrying and the bell-bottoms)

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Also the PPS is too big for pocket carry imo

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Craptacular posted:

Now my question:

Does anyone pocket carry a Walther PPS? I'm liking my J-frames less and less as I shoot them more and would like to go back to an auto for pocket carry. Is it too big for pocket carry or not?

Beaten by Uncle Caveman on preview, but yeah, the PPS is too big for pocket carry.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

:( Ok so does know of a semi-auto handgun that fits this description:

1. 9mm
2. Reliable
3. Small & light enough for pocket carry
4. No external safety
5. Doesn't have a looooooong trigger (Kahr I'm looking at you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I already own my G26, just don't carry it yet. I actually bought a comp-tac minotaur inside holster, but have been having issues coming up with the logistics of making it work with fitted business casual.
:smith:

• Locked thread