Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

shalafi4 posted:

Random thought that I would need to clear with the main other person in the company. Say we get a group buy done. it's BLA amount for X amount of brass as is... or BLABLA for the same amount that we process? (it's just a thought, details would have to be hammered out ect bla bla bla)

I understand about the time thing. Just throwing it out.

Maybe to a three tier price structure:
1. You show up and help sort, price is $X (basically the price you paid for the brass plus a little more for shipping and handling to your barn, maybe a slight discount since they're doing the grunt work).
2. You can't show up to help sort, you get a flat rate shipping box packed full of however many it can handle, you pay the price for the brass and shipping, plus a little extra for handling (look at current prices for unprocessed, once-fired brass).
3. You can't show up to help sort, but you want it processed. Again, flat rate shipping box packed full of processed brass, price is whatever is a fair price for once fired processed brass and shipping (Again, look at other prices for processed brass).

Gets you the possibility of some help sorting the brass, and opportunity for people to get it cheaper for helping.

Also, depending on how many fit in a flat rate shipping box, start offering that from your store, if the amount of time spent sorting and processing is worth the money you'd be charging.

Again, just thoughts. I understand you're not doing the ammo biz full time, and that changes whether any of this is worth your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.

Mishaco posted:

Yep, he's sticking it to you on shipping at $40 from NY to VA.

Earlier in the year i shipped 5 AK milled rifles to a guy. So about 40 pounds from AR to GA...it cost me $34, not including insurance.

Usually long arms run me $19-$23 for UPS Ground. Once in a long while a relaly big/long gun will be $26 or so.

Today i shipped a 36 lb box with 3 guns and accessories USPS Priority Airmail, to Hawaii and it cost me $80.

Keep in mind, UPS charges $12 more to ship to residential regardless of weight or shipment type (ground/air/etc).

Even then, it's going to an FFL (commercial) in a state 100 miles away. Shipping SHOULD be no more than 20 bucks.

Mishra
Dec 12, 2007

CanAm posted:

Keep in mind, UPS charges $12 more to ship to residential regardless of weight or shipment type (ground/air/etc).

Even then, it's going to an FFL (commercial) in a state 100 miles away. Shipping SHOULD be no more than 20 bucks.

He corrected to $35 and I won't bitch too much. the only reason I bid was cause $250 is a pretty good deal on a K31 and I've got a local FFL who does $12 transfers. I've seen nicer wood on them but the metal still looks really good. How long are C&R's takeing to approve these days anyway?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

You can run across all sorts of random bullshit when shipping via any of the common carriers, ESPECIALLY if you're shipping to a residential address. There are surcharges now for fuel, "regional surcharges" if it's out of the way or rural at all, etc. Usually you can get from point A to B in the lower 48 for around $20-30. That said, I've had the most random poo poo end up costing me way more. Just recently I shipped a rifle to a guy in upstate NY via UPS and it came out to $45. Why? hosed if I know. Meanwhile I sent a rifle to loving Alaska a couple months before that and it was only $60. I would fully expect North Carolina -> Alaska to be more than an extra $15 over NC -> NY.

On the other hand, I had my dad ship me one of my rifles from Oregon to NC last year and it was $25. So. . . . yeah, go figure.

Any time I sell on GB I just list a flat shipping fee of $35. That tends to cover shipping materials and the cost of the average shipping. Sometimes I come out ahead, sometimes I come out a few bucks short, but I think averaged over a year I don't end up paying out of pocket when I sell. $35 seems to be pretty standard for what people quote as shipping costs, and is all around well accepted in my experience.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 29, 2012

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

McNally posted:

I kinda miss my assault pack. Maybe we can do a group buy, a bunch of us can get some for cheap, and then sell the rest to recoup our losses.

What's up? This sounds nice.

Misplaced Yankee
Jan 29, 2009

Last time I looked into this the thing that deterred me and my friends is the line stating that the scrap had to be mutilated on site. When we asked someone who was stationed at the base he told us that it had to be shredded before it left. That was the standard on all scrap. You buy it, look at it, then shred it all. Don't know if this auction works the same way, but that's what I was told.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Misplaced Yankee posted:

Last time I looked into this the thing that deterred me and my friends is the line stating that the scrap had to be mutilated on site. When we asked someone who was stationed at the base he told us that it had to be shredded before it left. That was the standard on all scrap. You buy it, look at it, then shred it all. Don't know if this auction works the same way, but that's what I was told.

What's the point of that requirement?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

Misplaced Yankee posted:

The auction will note when it has to be mutilated. A few examples of both:

6000 lbs(approx) Light and Heavy Steel with ferrous and non-ferrous attachments All scrap under this contract requires mutilation by the buyer prior to removal or mutilation must be witnessed and certified by DOD Surplus personnel at another facility. Title to the material does not pass to the buyer until the scrap has been mutilated. Buyer agrees to allow USG personnel to witness destruction.

12, Model - PD68, Aluminum ammo boxes with bottoms and tops, contained on (2) wooden pallets. Mutilation is not required.

2463 lbs(approx) fired brass casings Mutilation not required.GL will provide tail gate loading

42,000 lbs(approx.) Fired 105MM steel shell casings with foreign attachments All scrap under this contract requires mutilation by the buyer prior to removal if allowed at facility or mutilation must be witnessed and certified by DOD Personnel at the buyer's facility. Title to the material does not pass to the buyer until all scrap has been mutilated. Buyer agrees to allow U.S. Government (USG) Personnel to witness destruction. GL will only load open top container that is 12 ft. or less in height. No culling is permitted.

Misplaced Yankee
Jan 29, 2009

Bummey posted:

What's the point of that requirement?

I always assumed the requirement only existed for the chance that if the military had something they didn't mean to throw away in there, it'd just be destroyed. All I know is the brass ones I was looking at required mutilation, so we moved on.

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can run across all sorts of random bullshit when shipping via any of the common carriers, ESPECIALLY if you're shipping to a residential address. There are surcharges now for fuel, "regional surcharges" if it's out of the way or rural at all, etc. Usually you can get from point A to B in the lower 48 for around $20-30. That said, I've had the most random poo poo end up costing me way more. Just recently I shipped a rifle to a guy in upstate NY via UPS and it came out to $45. Why? hosed if I know. Meanwhile I sent a rifle to loving Alaska a couple months before that and it was only $60. I would fully expect North Carolina -> Alaska to be more than an extra $15 over NC -> NY.

On the other hand, I had my dad ship me one of my rifles from Oregon to NC last year and it was $25. So. . . . yeah, go figure.

Any time I sell on GB I just list a flat shipping fee of $35. That tends to cover shipping materials and the cost of the average shipping. Sometimes I come out ahead, sometimes I come out a few bucks short, but I think averaged over a year I don't end up paying out of pocket when I sell. $35 seems to be pretty standard for what people quote as shipping costs, and is all around well accepted in my experience.

UPS, and I believe the other big parcel carriers but I know for sure UPS, bundle up shipments at hubs around the country, and ship them truckload to other hubs. A lot of this is outsourced. I imagine the online pricing system is basing it on some sort of average truckload cost in that lane, plus average door delivery/pickup cost, divided by weight/volume of the piece you are shipping, etc.

The differences you see are because of how trucking works. Truckload pricing is all based on supply and demand of well... trucking. Shipping into places like NY, New England, FL where there are a lot of consumers but not that much industry any more is a lot more expensive than shipping to places like the Carolinas or southern California when there is a lot being imported. Florida, AZ, TX, are good places to go when produce is running, but not otherwise. Conversely, it is cheaper to ship out of these places.

The difference in price is pretty large. A load from NC to FL, your looking at like $2.75/Mile to the truck right now, and a load from FL to NC your looking at like 1.15 to the truck. MA to CA and CA to MA would be a difference of about 2 grand in truckload cost for UPS, for example. Shipping anywhere remote, like way upstate NY, or Wyoming or whatever, is going to be expensive going in, and cheap going out.

As for AK being cheap. Most the freight going up there ships ocean from Tacoma to Anchorage. Ocean prices are really cheap for the past few years because the ocean carriers all screwed themselves and bought too many boats. The economy crashed, and now there's a lot of supply, and not enough demand. Its cheaper to ship things to China than domestically a lot of times.

Anyways, its late, Im rambling, and I don't know if anyone cares, but that is my take on the differences in price.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

bandaid posted:

Anyways, its late, Im rambling, and I don't know if anyone cares, but that is my take on the differences in price.

I care. That's really loving interesting.

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008

Bummey posted:

I care. That's really loving interesting.

:hfive:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Go on. :allears:

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008

What do you want to know?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bandaid posted:

Stuff about shipping

A fun addendum to this. My companies FedEx account gets discounted more the further up the priority tree we move (Ground->Express->2Day->Overnight). It's honestly cheaper by as much as 25% a lot of times to ship overnight than 2 day to certain zones. :psyduck:

Akion fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 30, 2012

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bandaid posted:

What do you want to know?

You, try to explain this:

Akion posted:

A fun addendum to this. My companies FedEx account gets discounted more the further up the priority tree we move (Ground->Express->2Day->Overnight). It's honestly cheaper by as much as 25% a lot of times to ship overnight than 2 day to certain zones. :psyduck:

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Herr Tog posted:

You, try to explain this:

All depends on negotiated rates. When I worked at an IT VAR, somehow our FedEx account was linked through Ingram Micro and thus we were able to ship at their negotiated rates. Overnight shipping is/was almost always the most heavily discounted.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Holy poo poo. I just checked the FFL listing on GB, and there is one right down the street from me. I could walk there and pick up a gun.

And his fees aren't bad (for MD), either.

Long Gun Fee: $25.00 Non-Regulated $10.00 more for regulated
Hand Gun Fee: $20.00 + Md. regulated App. fee
NICS Fee: Included in above charges
Other Fee: Sales Tax + Ship& ins. cost if any

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Mad Dragon posted:

Holy poo poo. I just checked the FFL listing on GB, and there is one right down the street from me. I could walk there and pick up a gun.

And his fees aren't bad (for MD), either.

Long Gun Fee: $25.00 Non-Regulated $10.00 more for regulated
Hand Gun Fee: $20.00 + Md. regulated App. fee
NICS Fee: Included in above charges
Other Fee: Sales Tax + Ship& ins. cost if any

Oh god please PM me his info.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'm going to call the guy first, just to make sure his info is up to date.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

http://www.armslist.com/posts/526213/columbus-ohio-rifles-for-sale--sks-all-new-tapco-furniture-price-reduced----449-00-obo
For Sale: SKS All New Tapco Furniture Price Reduced!! $449.00 OBO

quote:

Nice SKS mounted and properly fitted in a Tapco Stock color Desert Tan. Adjustable lenth of pull stock and adjustable cheek rest. Equiped with adj. bipod, New Tapco sling and a Centre Point Red Dot type scope with different colors and type of recticles. Scope is mounted on a see through type mount so that you can use the iron sights also. this rifle is accurate and fun to shoot. This rifle has the original 10 round magazine in place as I have just had reliability problems with all the aftermarket mags that I have tried for the SKS rifle, with the exception of a company in Detroit Michigan that makes an excellent mag but they are pricey at about $85.00 each but if you like the SKS they are well worth the money. I will also include 10 stripper clips with the rifle. I also will include the original stock, bayonet and ramrod all numbers match.
Will meet FTF in the Hilliard / Dublin area only and you must have a picture ID for proof of age and there will be a bill of sale for my records only.
Cash only, I am not interested in any trades at this time as I am just reducing inventory. If you are interested in any of my listings do not be afraid to make an offer.
Thanks for looking!

Should I offer him $50 to take all that tapco garbage off of it?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Hey Cyrano, is this close to the drilling you were looking for? :haw: The 6.5x57 may be a bit bigger than you wanted...but, it's got a barrel insert for .22 mag.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Hey Cyrano, is this close to the drilling you were looking for? :haw: The 6.5x57 may be a bit bigger than you wanted...but, it's got a barrel insert for .22 mag.

Get out of my HEAAAADDDDDD!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Get out of my HEAAAADDDDDD!

Goddammit quit stalking my gunbroker sellers <:mad:>

It's like some weird gun mojo at work....

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Mad Dragon posted:

I'm going to call the guy first, just to make sure his info is up to date.

Nagging you again.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Goddammit quit stalking my gunbroker sellers <:mad:>

It's like some weird gun mojo at work....

Its like our souls touch across the void of whatever the gently caress states are between us. Seriously I never remember where half of you people live.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Its like our souls touch across the void of whatever the gently caress states are between us. Seriously I never remember where half of you people live.

I'm in small-town eastern Kentucky. It's basically the diametric opposite of the PNW. You're like the Yin to my Yang. :awesome:

That's the seller I bought my International Medalist from, and who had the Benelli B76 I was watching just a few days before LSP posted his box thread. I'd never heard of 'em before and just saw it and thought 'Huh, Benelli pistol. Fuckin cool' and kept track of it for a while. It's a small weird gun world. v:shobon:v

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

You're like the Yin to my Yang. :awesome:
when you both had pony avatars I often had difficulty telling your posts apart.

"Found this [FANTASTIC OLD GUN] at the shop for $[GODDAMMIT] today." :arghfist::fh:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

I just bought a New ISSC M22 with the "pre-glock lawsuit" glock-esque features/styling intact. for $300 + ship on GB.

I blame you because I never would have been loving around on GB if it were not for this thread.

edit:

the gun I just bought

the new ones

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 6, 2012

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=304101920

Hilariously humped over SVT40 "sniper" for $4600? Sign me the gently caress up!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is the scope supposed to point down relative to the rest of the rifle?

I would understand if it was, like, a 1000m target rifle, but it looks like you'd get a magnified view of the front sight on this gun.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Safety Dance posted:

Is the scope supposed to point down relative to the rest of the rifle?

I would understand if it was, like, a 1000m target rifle, but it looks like you'd get a magnified view of the front sight on this gun.

Clearly this is a "warning shot only" rifle. Very Rare. Two thousand dollars, please.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

nrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggh :gizz:

goddamnit, somehow I knew the Germans would have made one, and it would be way too much.

A gun that can kill any animal you would concievably see walking through a forest? Yes, Germany has your back on this one.

loving god.

If you guys need me, I'll be in my bunk.

:dong:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Cyrano4747 posted:

somehow I knew the Germans would have made one

Well, of course they would have, since 'drilling' is a German word after all. It means 'triplet'! :eng101:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Detective Thompson posted:

Well, of course they would have, since 'drilling' is a German word after all. It means 'triplet'! :eng101:

Hey now, for all I know it could have been one of those dirty Austrians or Swiss who made it. :colbert:

Really, though, what I meant was that the Germans would have actually made the 3 barrels, 3 different gun concepts. Every other time I've found a drilling it's been a 2+1 combo of something. The idea of a barrel insert hadn't really occurred to me.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Maybe if you hit the Powerball you can go to Peter Hofer and commission something that will make three barrels look like a kid's first Cricket.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Funfling is an appropriate name for that in both languages. :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

Funfling is an appropriate name for that in both languages. :v:

I would not be happy if a funfling is the result of a fun fling.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

As far as combination guns go, I want a Vierling laid out like this, with two 12 gauge barrels, the rib barrel in .22LR, and the lower barrel in 6.5x55 Swede or something. Also I like the tasteful music on that guy's site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Really, though, what I meant was that the Germans would have actually made the 3 barrels, 3 different gun concepts. Every other time I've found a drilling it's been a 2+1 combo of something. The idea of a barrel insert hadn't really occurred to me.

I get what ya mean now.