Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Captain Log posted:

(Well, the AWFUL Charter Arms revolver I bought, got them to repair, and then it sheared half a bullet into my forehead upon firing. gently caress that thing.)
:suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I bought a new Charter Arms 38. Undercover (five shots - hammer - completely awful) and took it out to stretch it's legs. First five rounds the cylinder completely locks up. Couldn't get it open with a screwdriver. There was also huge amounts of fouling around where my right thumb rested.

I sent it to them and got it "Completely Refurbished." I went to the range and the third shot sheared something backwards, into my forehead. It didn't really bleed but it stung like a mother.

I unloaded it, went upstairs, and sold it for $100 less than I bought it for.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Captain Log posted:

(Well, the AWFUL Charter Arms revolver I bought, got them to repair, and then it sheared half a bullet into my forehead upon firing. gently caress that thing.)

Mithridatism doesn't apply to bullets or head shots generally.

Seriously though I'd have cut that thing up after that.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

What is it about gunbroker that makes people think they are utterly, absolutely entitled to getting that extra 3% for credit cards and paypal? I have never encountered any other financial transaction in my life that the seller wasn't happy enough to be making money to begin with that they'd just eat the 3%. I am complete positive that the one in one hundred seller who doesn't give you poo poo about the 3% probably gets way more than 3% more business just from customers being more inclined to buy from them.

I just had someone selling accessories, not even actual guns, first complain that I needed to add 3% to the amount I sent via paypal which was annoying enough, but then they complained that I also needed to cover the 3% paypal skinned off of the extra 4 dollars I sent, which amounted to 16 cents. If I didn't really want the item and didn't want to hurt my gunbroker feedback I'd have just told them to refund everything so I could send a check and then just never respond to them again.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

But you forgot about the 3% of 16cents and so one forever. It's +3% all the way down.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Quickshanks posted:

What is it about gunbroker that makes people think they are utterly, absolutely entitled to getting that extra 3% for credit cards and paypal? I have never encountered any other financial transaction in my life that the seller wasn't happy enough to be making money to begin with that they'd just eat the 3%. I am complete positive that the one in one hundred seller who doesn't give you poo poo about the 3% probably gets way more than 3% more business just from customers being more inclined to buy from them.

I just had someone selling accessories, not even actual guns, first complain that I needed to add 3% to the amount I sent via paypal which was annoying enough, but then they complained that I also needed to cover the 3% paypal skinned off of the extra 4 dollars I sent, which amounted to 16 cents. If I didn't really want the item and didn't want to hurt my gunbroker feedback I'd have just told them to refund everything so I could send a check and then just never respond to them again.

Well the margins are very low, the majority of gun dealers are barely scraping by.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

It's one thing when it comes to dollar figures in which that 3% is actually somewhat substantial. But it's like because they get to point to those cases and say well they are doing it, every single transaction must be treated exactly the same. Again, in this case, it was a guy selling his own used crap and not a dealer, who probably preferred the buyer use paypal, and it was over first 4 bucks and then again over like 12 cents. There is just something about gunbroker that, no matter what the seller, no matter what the item, no matter what the circumstances in any way, that 3% is just their god given right to be a pain in the rear end about.

And honestly, for that matter, I've never encountered a single actual physical gun shop who expected extra for credit cards, and that would actually be more tolerable because in that case you are talking about a fixed retail price and not actual auctions, in which the buyer if they are not retarded has obviously factored that 3% into the amount they have chosen as their final bidding price. Sellers know that they do more business thanks to the convenience offered by credit cards and so they either factor it into their selling price or they are just perfectly content to be doing the business at all.

I don't know what percentage of gunbroker buyers end up using credit card or paypal when it's possible but I'm guessing it's probably the vast majority. The way they do it could easily be "price assumes you intend to use a credit card and if you would like you may credit yourself a 3% discount for utilizing other means" but they would of course never accept that because they are hinging on that buyer idiocy. I have seen like a dozen sellers without even looking for it who explicitly only accept credit cards, set their own buy it now prices, and still make their buyers add 3%.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Man, I sell stuff with Square Register all the time, and I don't even make the customer deal with friggin' sales tax; that's my problem, not theirs. Flat dollar amount and any other nonsense is my own cost of doing business, it gets factored into the pricing in the first place.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Quickshanks posted:

It's one thing when it comes to dollar figures in which that 3% is actually somewhat substantial. But it's like because they get to point to those cases and say well they are doing it, every single transaction must be treated exactly the same. Again, in this case, it was a guy selling his own used crap and not a dealer, who probably preferred the buyer use paypal, and it was over first 4 bucks and then again over like 12 cents. There is just something about gunbroker that, no matter what the seller, no matter what the item, no matter what the circumstances in any way, that 3% is just their god given right to be a pain in the rear end about.

And honestly, for that matter, I've never encountered a single actual physical gun shop who expected extra for credit cards, and that would actually be more tolerable because in that case you are talking about a fixed retail price and not actual auctions, in which the buyer if they are not retarded has obviously factored that 3% into the amount they have chosen as their final bidding price. Sellers know that they do more business thanks to the convenience offered by credit cards and so they either factor it into their selling price or they are just perfectly content to be doing the business at all.

I don't know what percentage of gunbroker buyers end up using credit card or paypal when it's possible but I'm guessing it's probably the vast majority. The way they do it could easily be "price assumes you intend to use a credit card and if you would like you may credit yourself a 3% discount for utilizing other means" but they would of course never accept that because they are hinging on that buyer idiocy. I have seen like a dozen sellers without even looking for it who explicitly only accept credit cards, set their own buy it now prices, and still make their buyers add 3%.

Many of the pawn shops I've been to charge an extra 3% on credit cards in the shop. At least one of the pure gun shops does out here too.

I don't think it's a gunbroker thing, I think its a small pawnshop thing, and gunbroker is basically just the front window of pawn shops across the country now.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Pretty much every gun store around her charges more for CC. I actually refuse to do business anymore at them and just use them for online transfers. I also wonít shop online at anyplace that charges more. Itís loving annoying when you see something advertised for one price and then you go to buy it and surprise itís $30 more because you want to use a CC.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

It's not a big deal to me to write a personal check for a gun. It's not like groceries where I'm buying them every week.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Itís a hassle. I get not want g to bother but on the other hand id itís a gun I want at a good price Iím also willing to drive to the bank and get some cash.

Back in 2010 or so that led to a fun teller experience. I needed more for a rifle that an old dude was selling than my ATM would spit out so I had to g inside. Teller must have been new. She was young and actually tried to make small talk about why I was pulling something like two grand. Think she asked me if I was going on vacation

Her look when I said nope buying a gun was enough to override my irritation at the teller asking that question in the first place.

Edit: this was the tiny branch on the main st of a college town across the street from the campus to paint the picture.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I haven't run into many outside of gas stations on interstates, but I'd probably treat a place that charges extra for using a credit card the same as a place that only takes cash in that they aren't getting my business. gently caress you and your bullshit, I'll go somewhere else.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Herr Tog posted:

i can't look at that for more than 5 secs

It's a beautiful angel and I will not hear you speak ill of it!

Frank Dillinger posted:

If I see anything Sparta related on a firearm, I just assume the owner is a white power dickhead. Havenít been disappointed yet.

Or they went to Michigan State, but I may be the only person who wants to buy an Overthow lower just to do a build in bright green and white.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 26, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s a hassle. I get not want g to bother but on the other hand id it’s a gun I want at a good price I’m also willing to drive to the bank and get some cash.

Back in 2010 or so that led to a fun teller experience. I needed more for a rifle that an old dude was selling than my ATM would spit out so I had to g inside. Teller must have been new. She was young and actually tried to make small talk about why I was pulling something like two grand. Think she asked me if I was going on vacation

Her look when I said nope buying a gun was enough to override my irritation at the teller asking that question in the first place.

Edit: this was the tiny branch on the main st of a college town across the street from the campus to paint the picture.

"Haha jk I'm buying a bunch of weed"

"Oh whew, I thought you might be doing something shady"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

IDK why you'd ever tell the truth when you coulda just gone "Condoms" or something.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

We've got a couple shops around here that do the + 3% for cards nonsense. In person I'll usually just pick up some cash for a big purchase, if it's online I usually eat the fee to get it shipped out quicker. What really pisses me off is when I pay the extra for the card and the drat thing takes several days ship, though I doubt I'd get the fee refunded for that.

I'm also of the mind that if I get through the transaction/wait with that being the most egregious thing to happen I'm doing pretty well.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If a company can't figure out that recouping 3% of credit card transactions isn't worth the people who will get pissed off or shop elsewhere, then I don't know what to say.

It hurts my brain.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Captain Log posted:

If a company can't figure out that recouping 3% of credit card transactions isn't worth the people who will get pissed off or shop elsewhere, then I don't know what to say.

It hurts my brain.

Gun shops are famous for being reasonable, business savvy, and going to great lengths to not piss off potential customers.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

DeesGrandpa posted:

Gun shops are famous for being reasonable, business savvy, and going to great lengths to not piss off potential customers.

A store I went to was covered in these 3% signs.

I walked into a "gold" shop in Frankfort, Kentucky once with a silver dollar to sell - worth about 15 bucks in silver, minimum. This was two days after all my ID's and poo poo got stolen. I needed the cash for enough gas to finish my day NOT sleeping in my car.

I dress like Henry Rollins or a complete dandy. Today was a dandy day, which normally helps if I have to sell something.

I walk into this shop with that has two old guys sitting in the back. It was listed as a Goldsmith. I figured I'd be in and out in five minutes.

The younger old guy immediately says, "Are you a G man?" and refuses to tell me his name. He then tells me I look like a city boy and tells me, "Only people mixed up in BAD business get a gun in their face!"

He then only gives me ten dollars. I needed it for gas. But a goldsmith bought my silver without paying spot, which is considered borderline illegal.

As I was leaving he told me they don't like my type. I'm pretty sure he was implying I was gay. That happens a lot.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

I don't know what the actual law is but I thought it was pretty much a given that if you walk into one of those WE BUY GOLD stores you will get massively ripped off. The whole business model is based on jewelry from obvious burglars and the desperate elderly.

Edit: although probably not as badly as if you just mail it off to one of those services that promise they'll send back a check for fair market value

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Pitch posted:

I don't know what the actual law is but I thought it was pretty much a given that if you walk into one of those WE BUY GOLD stores you will get massively ripped off. The whole business model is based on jewelry from obvious burglars and the desperate elderly.

Edit: although probably not as badly as if you just mail it off to one of those services that promise they'll send back a check for fair market value

My family and I deal in precious metals. Some of those "WE BUY GOLD" places are good jewellery stores with lovely signs. Some of them are borderline criminal. But offering below spot is considered the absolute lowest of the low an possibly illegal. It's like giving less than a dollar of change for a buck.

Those places make their money on offering "melt" value for jewellery that they then turn around and sell as is for a profit.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Check your jurisdictions- some states it's illegal to do the +3% for credit cards, or the reverse (3% discount for cash). It's also against the EULA for a lot of possessing companies.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Cash discounts used to be against the TOS for a lot of credit card companies-- they'd just refuse to process transactions from businesses that charged more for credit card purchases-- but as far as I know they all stopped doing that five or six years ago. Credit card surcharges are illegal in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas, but LOL at the idea of any of those states' attorneys general actually doing fuckall about individual cases, and ~~convenience fees~~ are still allowed so that's what the douchebags who charge extra for credit call them.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

My FFL fixed that issue by just no longer taking cards for guns/transfers, cash only. The issue was more that their old processor dumped them and they do more business than just guns, so they had to re-sign up with someone else that disallowed gun sales.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

As it was explained to me, after new rules in response to the 2008 crisis, credit card companies increased their fees not only for customers but also merchants. Merchants complained so the credit card companies decided to allow a 3% or 4% surcharge to be levied by merchants so they could make back some money. As noted, it's illegal in like 10 states, and still rare most places, but places with small margins might feel compelled to do it. You see it a lot at gas stations along the highway where people need to buy gas and can't as easily shop on price. I find it super annoying but I sympathize with merchants who felt a big change on their end.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

IDK why you'd ever tell the truth when you coulda just gone "Condoms" or something.

I didn't give a gently caress and wanted to see the reaction.

edit: this was also about 10 years ago now, when I was much more prone to trying to get a rise out of people.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

So that's what they all mean when they say they're three-percenters.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

So that's what they all mean when they say they're three-percenters.

lol

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i think 'bit coins' will get some really cool responses now a days.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Check out what I found on GunBroker.com!https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768732857

(Stupidity)

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

He's got Jack Ruby's Cobra too!

Now if only he had his guitar...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sten Freak posted:

Check out what I found on GunBroker.com!https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768732857

(Stupidity)

It was nice of mr hinkley to include the box

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769713592

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Naked lady grips?! :monocle:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

That is an extremely choice barbecue gun.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Jesus, this guy really liked .22 Jet and engraving:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768813610

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768816913

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768824726

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768811634

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768832752

Gotta say, that 4" one is pretty hot.

e: oh poo poo this is baller as gently caress: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768805319

e2: :lol: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768639425

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Oh, man, I wish there were better pictures of those Smiths. Cut-through-the-blue engraving like that is even less forgiving than regular engraving, so most of the time even really good engravers will turn out something that looks like it was done with an electropencil at a kitchen table. Once in a while, though, a master engraver will take on a project like that and knock it out of the park, and those are really gorgeous to see.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

These are far from masterfully engraved. It's like a step above those old pawn shop engraving jobs.

If that 4" one was like half the price I'd be all over it, that would be an awesome little flame thrower, and at that price I wouldn't care that the finish had been enhanced ruined.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

They look passable, they're never gonna look like some prince's showpiece you saw in a museum but there's nothing really wrong with the linework for <$15,000. Looks like the grooves are a little rough, which is fixable if you're willing to put the hours in burnishing them.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

These are far from masterfully engraved. It's like a step above those old pawn shop engraving jobs.

Yeah, it looks like that as I squint at more of the pictures. It's a shame; putting Robert Valade's name into Google pulls up some very good work (that is, admittedly, not cut through the blue - like I said doing that right is Hard Mode).