Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Including the springs? How?

I mean just the stripped receiver, with a standard LPK. Put some bushings in the pin holes, and some little feet for the spring ends to sit on so they didn't wear through, and you'd have a semi-working lower. But yeah, melting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

How much force is the lower actually seeing? Yes heat transfer and all that, but to expan on what was written above, it's the forces exerted on the lower where it holds the upper in place, nothing containing the pressure of the round, right?

There are 100% plastic lowers out there, cavarms I think

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

You are correct. CavArms makes commercial polymer lowers, and other people mentioned ones made of HDPE and wood for gently caress's sake. (I want a wooden one so bad). The only forces on the lower are from the friction and momentum of the bolt carrier being moved around by the buffer tube spring, and the forces of the hammer and trigger being moved around. The forces on the pivot and takedown pins is more related to handling than firing, I'd wager. So yeah, reinforce those areas and handle carefully, and I bet you could get 3-4 rounds out of a chocolate lower before it started to fall apart due to heat and general crumbling.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

walrusman posted:

I mean just the stripped receiver, with a standard LPK. Put some bushings in the pin holes, and some little feet for the spring ends to sit on so they didn't wear through, and you'd have a semi-working lower. But yeah, melting...

I think someone needs to write another letter to the ATF for clarification. Is a chocolate lower considered a firearm? What about dark chocolate? What if it has nuts and berries in it?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Let's not give them too much to think about until we hear clarification on the hamster issue.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ah yes, the hamster gatling gun...

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166046842

quote:

It is an Ďas isí gun as far as I am concerned, not new like I was led to believe. The barrel and cylinder look like they are new, the grip frame too, but the frame is less than new, it looks like it has been tampered with using some kind of chemical on the case coloring,

Does this guy just not know what the Case hardened finish is, or is there something I am missing on this thing?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Does this guy just not know what the Case hardened finish is, or is there something I am missing on this thing?

None of you jerks bid on it. If it's about to go up with no bids, I'm buying it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Cylinder doesn't lock up? Idunno.

Wanton
May 16, 2003
Good job on returning those books.

But with his $50 shipping quote and at least $25 for a transfer, if it goes any higher than $300 it's really not THAT good of a deal.
I think he paid $375 for it on the original auction.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Wanton posted:

But with his $50 shipping quote and at least $25 for a transfer, if it goes any higher than $300 it's really not THAT good of a deal.
I think he paid $375 for it on the original auction.

Oh yeah, not trying to point it out as a deal or anything.

Just trying to figure out what he is talking about regarding the finish, it looks like the other new Case Hardened finishes I have seen.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Crowley posted:

Cylinder doesn't lock up? Idunno.

I'm guessing he's not checking it right. Most single actions don't fully lock up until the trigger is pulled. To check for cylinder lock up, you have to cock the hammer, pull the trigger and hold it, and with the hammer returned to the forward position, check for cylinder movement while keeping the trigger held to the rear.

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166602463

Not even antiques are safe from Bubba :sweden:

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

That stock was so beautiful...

Thepossiblelight
Jul 2, 2007
shut up.

Conquest7706 posted:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

omgLerkHat! posted:

That stock was so beautiful...

It's probably what drew Bubba to it in the first place.

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

That auction pissed me off. I've been lurking mauser prices for the past year waiting for that ultimate deal, and I've seen a bunch of great prices, the only catch SPORTERIZED to all hell.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's probably what drew Bubba to it in the first place.

Yeah, "This stock looks awesome! Lemme cut half of it off!"

I can't even pretend to understand the logic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Nipponophile posted:

They want the most aesthetically pleasing base rifle for their masterpiece. If you accept the end goal as being a positive (as it is in their eyes) it makes perfect sense to seek out the nicest specimen to cut up.

Plus, tiger striping appeals to a lot of the same groups that love super-shiny, highly finished commercial stocks. I really think that, proportionally speaking, tiger striped stocks are FAR more likely to suffer extensive refinishing than normal stocks are.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

The guy who sporterized that rifle no doubt liked the wood itself, but not the military stock design.

edit: beaten. :(

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Conquest7706 posted:

Urge to kill... rising.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

quote:

Missing fiber optic rod on front sight

WHY DO YOU HAVE FIBER OPTIC SIGHTS IN A SWEDE MAUSER?!?!?!?

And don't even get me started on that stock...I'm a pretty libertarian guy, one of those who laughs every time someone says "there oughta be a law," but seriously, there oughta be a law that if you do what that guy did to a mil-surp rifle which is THAT nice, you get executed in the most painful way possible. I'm thinking either the illuminated man, or perhaps hung, drawn, and quartered.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

And don't even get me started on that stock...I'm a pretty libertarian guy, one of those who laughs every time someone says "there oughta be a law," but seriously, there oughta be a law that if you do what that guy did to a mil-surp rifle which is THAT nice, you get executed in the most painful way possible. I'm thinking either the illuminated man, or perhaps hung, drawn, and quartered.

Buried in Mosins with bayonets attached

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Buried in Mosins with bayonets attached

It'd be slower without the bayonets.

loving fiber-optic sights. I don't loving believe it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

walrusman posted:

It'd be slower without the bayonets.

loving fiber-optic sights. I don't loving believe it.

Yeah, I about hit the roof when I saw the close up of the receiver, complete with neon green fiber optic sights. I was thinking the golden bull thingy the Romans used to cook Christians in. That sounded pretty painful. Or, for a more milsurp-esque death, how bout being dunked in a vat of cosmoline?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

iyaayas01 posted:

I won't defend someone chopping what looked to be a very clean Swede Mauser in this age of cheap new-production rifles - but if the guy who performed that conversion intended to hunt irons-only with the gun, fiber optic sights are fantastic for shooting at dusk/dawn when deer are most active.

And besides, you guys are overlooking the most obvious punishment for Bubbas: Being hunted for sport by Rutger Hauer & Gary Busey.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 26, 2010

Wrong Piteous
Jun 17, 2008

abjectly apologetic

Uncle Caveman posted:

And besides, you guys are overlooking the most obvious sexual fantasy of Bubbas: Being hunted for sport by Rutger Hauer & Gary Busey.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

This is also true.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

I was lurking around IRC and saw a conversation regarding a SVT and making a kid go hide in his dad's truck and started browsing for one and came across this mostrosity and abuse of milsurp.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/996923134/Guns/Rifles/R-Misc-Rifles/russian_svt_40.htm

loving FUDDS! Why do they always have to ruin things?!?:cry:

Comfy sponk fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 28, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Comfy sponk posted:

I was lurking around IRC and saw a conversation regarding a SVT and making a kid go hide in his dad's truck and started browsing for one and came across this mostrosity and abuse of milsurp.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/996923134/Guns/Rifles/R-Misc-Rifles/russian_svt_40.htm

loving FUDDS! Why do they always have to ruin things?!?

Because they are awful. Just awful.

That SVT must have been operated as a bolt action, right?

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

I have no clue, the ad didn't say.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Comfy sponk posted:

:ughh: Just :ughh:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Detective Thompson posted:

It must be. SVTs tap the barrel pretty far forward, and this is cut south of where the gas would be bleed off. If that's a semi-auto they'd have to drill a new port and make a new gas system from scratch. Yeesh.

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

Comfy sponk posted:

god.damnit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Comfy sponk posted:

Why can't they just gently caress up an SKS or something, leave the precious rare stuff alone. :gonk:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I realize $400 is a pretty big price break over an unruined SVT-40, but really this guy needs to mark it down even more than that if he wants to move that abomination. Is there any hope of undoing all that poo poo?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

chairface posted:

I realize $400 is a pretty big price break over an unruined SVT-40, but really this guy needs to mark it down even more than that if he wants to move that abomination. Is there any hope of undoing all that poo poo?

Not that big a break. I got my unfucked-with SVT with super duper gorgeous tiger stripy wood for $750 from a private sale at a gunshow.

And unless you can somehow rebarrel and rebuild the gas system, there's nothing that can be done to save this back to anything approaching original configuration.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I like turtles posted:

Not that big a break. I got my unfucked-with SVT with super duper gorgeous tiger stripy wood for $750 from a private sale at a gunshow.

And unless you can somehow rebarrel and rebuild the gas system, there's nothing that can be done to save this back to anything approaching original configuration.

Yeah, that's my point, he's gotta offer a BIGGER break to get it to move, even though this is 1/3 to 1/2 price for stuff on Gunbroker. Especially if it's impossible to ever fix this abomination.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only

Fun Shoe

Even if it were $100 bucks I wouldnt want to be seen with that frankenrifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atavism
Mar 29, 2010

I will live on in you.
Endless.
Forever recurring.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

FRENCH LEBEL FIRST MODEL 1886. 8mm NO FFL ANTIQUE
BUY NOW for $625.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=163870951

You know, what's really frightening about this is that the seller has two of them. One would be some unfortunate circumstances in the history of a rifle. That they have two almost makes it seem like the seller has gone out of their way to find these awful, awful things. That is, if they aren't sitting in their basement setting "shamanic tribal inlaid brass arrows" into the wood and giggling obscenely all on their own.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166647003
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=165832540