Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Refresh my memory, which herbs are so invasive you'd not want to plant it with others? I know mint is one. Just got oregano, basil, Thai basil, thyme, sage and apple mint and trying to decide which ones will share a planter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jan posted:

Refresh my memory, which herbs are so invasive you'd not want to plant it with others? I know mint is one. Just got oregano, basil, Thai basil, thyme, sage and apple mint and trying to decide which ones will share a planter.

Mint is the big one. Thyme is supposed to be a big spreader, but it's not that aggressive and I've never really seen it be a problem. Honestly the biggest for me now is the sage that is just thriving so much that it crowds other stuff out!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My sage probably needs to get moved to a bigger pot because its out of control.

I don't know what to make of my mint. It seems ok but its growing out and viney and I'm not sure how to handle that.

My basil's gotten big and even though they're in my biggest pots I'm debating moving the biggest one to something else. Its like 2 feet tall and the dirt is packed tight. If it were closer to fall I'd probably just plant it in the ground and let it grow wild. But I don't have any room left in my garden beds right now so I might grab a bigger pot.

My thyme, oregano, and rosemary all seem easier although I killed a couple of plants by knocking them over and them getting flooded in rain. I'm dumb for not drilling some holes in the cheap plastic pots I have, I'm just worried they'll split in half or something.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hubis posted:

Mint is the big one. Thyme is supposed to be a big spreader, but it's not that aggressive and I've never really seen it be a problem. Honestly the biggest for me now is the sage that is just thriving so much that it crowds other stuff out!

The grass in my lawn disagrees with you on thyme, I loose inches to it that I have to cut back in the spring. Make sure you get one that isn't known to spread and it won't be an issue. Mine was planted by the previous owner and I haven't had the energy to dig it out and it's great when it flowers due to the hundreds of bees it attracts. It does take a year or two to get really going, so if you're only doing one season planters it should be fine. My oregano also came back this year much larger, but not much for spread. My solution for the sage is to just cut it back and make it grow up again (and it obliges but is still a small shrub size). I'm in Zone 5b(ish).

I've had success in the past with oregano and basil together (also with tarragon that year). Thyme and basil is okay if there's enough room for the basil to get tall enough before the thyme gets very big.

Never mint with anything else. I left some in a planter without water for an entire year on a Kentucky porch and it came up the next year after it had gotten a bit of snow and ice over winter.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
One of my ground cherry plants got so heavy that it has fallen over and the main stem has split. RIP

I didn't think these needed caging, but poo poo, next year I'm definitely putting them in some big surrounding support system.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
If it didn't rip entirely you might still save it with stakes and tape. I've had bad breaks heal up alright by binding the still partially attached stem together again.

Thyme and sage are taking over my 6a garden. Horehound, mugwort, and various daisies too. Not really a terrible problem to have though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
What's getting into these eggplants?

Every once in awhile a couple show up with nearly perfectly round holes dug out of the side of the eggplant. Whatever it is doesn't appear to be disturbing anything else near the eggplants, which includes a couple kinds of cukes and several kinds of tomatos.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Looks like caterpillars. I've had the same thing with eggplants and this year my tomatoes.

And speaking of ground cherries, I think I need to give up on trying tomatillos. This year is my second time trying to grow them and the second time without a properly fertilized fruit. I have two plants right next to to each other that have gotten pretty large and both are covered with bees but still not a single fruit.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

One of my ground cherry plants got so heavy that it has fallen over and the main stem has split. RIP

I didn't think these needed caging, but poo poo, next year I'm definitely putting them in some big surrounding support system.

A cage is a good idea, but the best support in my experience seems to be other plants. Last year I had two 4' wide ground cherries growing two feet apart among some peppers that wove together really well. The stems were still really thick and tough and it woulda taken a hurricane to knock em over.

I would just leave it alone for now. This Season I Learned that tomatillos don't have two fucks to rub together about twisting and snapping, so long as they have a chance to heal up. That tomatillo I posted a few pages ago that was topping 5' just kept on growing. One morning after a storm I came out to see it belt over the top of its cage and I just said "gently caress it" and let nature run its course.

Then

Now :stare:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Good lord

My tomatillos look about halfway between your two pics, but there are a bunch of tennis ball-sized husks on there now along with what seems like hundreds of other smaller, growing husks!

Also, my zucchini is going for a poo poo. I don't know what the hell is going on, all of a sudden the main stem from the soil up to about 10" is covered in white goop and the fruit on there have begun to rot from the blossom end back. Happened in the past 36 hours or so. They're in fabric grow pots and get watered twice a day.

~*~gardening~*~

I have an Iznik cucumber plant too, and it has about 8 big fat cukes hanging off of it. They're all neon green/yellow though, and have been for like 2 weeks. When the hell do I pick these? Aren't they supposed to be dark green? I'm told that these are best picked when they're about 4" long, but these are waaaay bigger. I guess I missed my window of opportunity there.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
If you don't pick cucumber in time it goes to water/to seed. It'll get all sloppy and yellow and basically gross.

If you want your plants to try again, get that poo poo off post haste and hit them with some food and water but make sure all the grey snotty poo poo is cleaned up.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
poo poo, okay they're coming off now.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Guys I hosed up.

My plants were wilting because I wasn't watering them enough so I watered them super hard on tuesday and now they're slowly drowning and I can only watch them die slowly. :tif:

The saddest sunflowers.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
You can't drown a sunflower. Let it have some sun, it'll come back around.

I think the main problem folks have with small gardens is thinking too much. Let them be plants. It's been however many years science currently determined - they're still plants!

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
So I should stop watering them right? The soil is still moist.

Its annoying how underwatered and overwatered plants have the same symptoms. :-(

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Edit: can't read!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My courgette plants that were suddenly all rotting have recovered with a vengeance, and I'm now drowning in courgettes again. Foisting them off on everyone I see and still have a huge stack in the kitchen.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I'm pretty sure one of my garden gems has died because it's extremely wilted now and the small tomatoes on it are getting all dark and raisin-y. Well, the good news I guess, is I still have my bigger plant. That one looks like it's going to pull through.

I think I should be strict about only putting water in the terra cotta pots and not into the soil directly. This watering business is really loving me up. :(

By the way, did you know artichokes look like this???

Apparently they grow really well here in San Jose, CA.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Cool, I did not know that artichokes were family Asteraceae along with other thistle members; and it's funny you mention this because I was wondering the other day what 'chokes were the buds for. Apparently I've never seen one growing or I did and didn't know it.

Edit: Last night was garlic harvesting night and the crop kinda sucked this year. I'm blaming the relatively small bulbs on our spring getting hot and staying hot earlier than usual, and fighting to keep water in the ground in that heat. I got 24 bulbs of Spanish roja (a well-preserving mild softneck) and 46 bulbs of Duganski (a spicy gourmet hardneck)

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 31, 2018

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I harvested most of my corn yesterday. It's a little red popcorn variety. I think I'll get...several bowls of popcorn of out it...

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Cory Parsnipson posted:

So pretty! :swoon:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I'm having the worst luck with tomatoes this year. In addition to the blight situation, and the couple I've tried being pretty mealy (can still sauce 'em, so that's not a deal breaker), I go out today and see this:

Not even sure what to google/how to describe this condition. Can anyone advise?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I think the wrinkling is caused by some manner of stress - some people say it's from a temperature drop when the fruit is setting, others say it's over/under watering or some other change when the fruit was setting that stressed the plant.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I'm up in San Leandro and 1 of our two plants goes crazy every year while the other always seems stunted on makes a few small, oddly shapped fruits/buds.
We let the one grow all over the place, but it seems some of the other ones I see around town have all but the trim all the non-flower leaves away.
This was it back in April, it fell over under it's own weight but kept giving us artichokes.

Unrelated, yesterday's tomato haul:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Shame Boner posted:

Edit: Last night was garlic harvesting night and the crop kinda sucked this year. I'm blaming the relatively small bulbs on our spring getting hot and staying hot earlier than usual, and fighting to keep water in the ground in that heat. I got 24 bulbs of Spanish roja (a well-preserving mild softneck) and 46 bulbs of Duganski (a spicy gourmet hardneck)

I had a similar problem last year when I ended up with a bunch of small bulbs with black marks on the cloves. There was a suggestion I left them too long in the soil before cutting back on water and harvesting them. This year I couldn't cut back on the water (same drip lines feeding fall crop seedlings growing in the other half of the bed) so I folded them over as soon as they started to turn yellow. Better results than last year, although I still have some small bulbs, especially among my Gabriola Gourmet (local Gulf Island hippy haven variety). The Duganski and Bogatyne are really good though.

First year I've grown either of them. The Duganski tasted like the perfect choice for a jar of home-brewed kimchi now bubbling on the back of the counter. My timing was good for the Napa cabbage and garlic but I screwed up with my early planting of daikon radish and had to buy some. Ah well, maybe in the fall...

The kimchi recipe calls for Korean salted shrimp. I have to do a bit more research on these - I'm pretty sure these are euphausids, a.k.a. krill. Technically, I suppose you can call them shrimp but in my mind they're more "plankton". I'm sure these little bits of self-propelled eyeballs are critical for a good batch of kimchi.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Just for the hell of it I started a line of Green Globe artichokes along one fence this spring. I've never grown them before and never had them fresh, only canned where they basically come out as vegetable flavoured green slime. Guess I need to figure out how to eat these now.

If they're worth it I might plant some Cardoon artichokes next year. They look more like your picture and would jazz up the garden a lot better than Green Globe, which looks like it was designed by the military.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
im jealous of all you northern hemisphere bastards
i've got my silverbeet to keep me going through the winter

:smith:

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Did you know much of the US’ summer crop of artichokes is grown about an hour south of you? You do have to keep harvesting them or they’ll stop producing.

Hexigrammus posted:

Just for the hell of it I started a line of Green Globe artichokes along one fence this spring. I've never grown them before and never had them fresh, only canned where they basically come out as vegetable flavoured green slime. Guess I need to figure out how to eat these now.

If they're worth it I might plant some Cardoon artichokes next year. They look more like your picture and would jazz up the garden a lot better than Green Globe, which looks like it was designed by the military.

Harvest close to the globe, cut about the top 1” off, drizzle in some olive oil, bbq or roast in the oven. Serve with a side of mayo dip.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

Steamed/boiled and eaten with butter or mayo is the standard. I like to split them in half, spoon out the choke, then pressure cook the heart and petals for 10 minutes, then brush with oil and grill, and serve with a lemon garlic mayo.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

Hexigrammus posted:

The kimchi recipe calls for Korean salted shrimp. I have to do a bit more research on these - I'm pretty sure these are euphausids, a.k.a. krill. Technically, I suppose you can call them shrimp but in my mind they're more "plankton". I'm sure these little bits of self-propelled eyeballs are critical for a good batch of kimchi.

Yeahh that is the right stuff. Various kinds of salted sea thingies are used but that is a common one. They apparently help with fermentation and also help give the finished kimchi that deep salty-funky taste.

Since other people have been posting tomato photos -- I've been getting a nice steady supply recently. This is a photo from a week or so ago. I had been picking the bigger ones a little early to get them away from the caterpillar threat but I think it should be safe now as I haven't seen much damage on these plants.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Hexigrammus posted:

drat that is a healthy looking plant. Now that I think of it, I don't know how to eat an artichoke either. I usually just get the hearts on a pizza or salad. The pretty flowers have me thinking about growing some.

jvick posted:

Did you know much of the US’ summer crop of artichokes is grown about an hour south of you? You do have to keep harvesting them or they’ll stop producing.

Harvest close to the globe, cut about the top 1” off, drizzle in some olive oil, bbq or roast in the oven. Serve with a side of mayo dip.

Huh! Are you talking about Gilroy? There are acres of farmland down there you can see even from the highway. I figured artichokes must be native to here or something because I saw a few just growing out of a plot of grass between the curb and the sidewalk in front of somebody's house. It might have been on purpose though.

Here's my dead gay plant. Notice the dark raisin-y tomatoes.

Everything I have looks wilted and dead right now, but I think other than the plant above, everything else should survive if I stick to a strict watering regimen. I wish my plants were healthy and nice looking again. :( Next time you can bet I'll have a better irrigation setup.

On the bright side, here's the bigger, still surviving plant. I think it's in stable condition now and there's actually a lot of tomatoes on it (like maybe about 10?)

There's one here that has blossom end rot, but I think the rest are okay so far. I also have a wild herd of ladybug larvae protecting it. :3:

And here's something exciting!

I found a female flower on my watermelon! Look at it's little stripes! This is a crimson sweet variety, btw. The moon and stars plants are growing really slowly and I don't think they'll bloom in time. I think they're being choked out by all the stuff I planted in the top. Also a 5 gallon bucket isn't really enough space for a watermelon.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Cory Parsnipson posted:

drat that is a healthy looking plant. Now that I think of it, I don't know how to eat an artichoke either. I usually just get the hearts on a pizza or salad. The pretty flowers have me thinking about growing some.

Huh! Are you talking about Gilroy? There are acres of farmland down there you can see even from the highway. I figured artichokes must be native to here or something because I saw a few just growing out of a plot of grass between the curb and the sidewalk in front of somebody's house. It might have been on purpose though.

Castroville and Salinas. Gilroy is more garlic, cherries, and leafy greens. You can see a lot of artichokes if you take 101 to 156 to 1 into Monterey. I used to work in the produce industry down there. Now up in the Davis area.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Enfys posted:

I think the wrinkling is caused by some manner of stress - some people say it's from a temperature drop when the fruit is setting, others say it's over/under watering or some other change when the fruit was setting that stressed the plant.

I found the temperature drop thing, which appears to be called catfacing and not the situation here. Thanks, though!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
(singing to himself)
Too many cukes, too ma-ny cukes...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hubis posted:

(singing to himself)
Too many cukes, too ma-ny cukes...

make agua fresca. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cucumber-agua-fresca-201229

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Nosre posted:

I found the temperature drop thing, which appears to be called catfacing and not the situation here. Thanks, though!

I'm really not sure, but if the leaves look fine then it's either a) something about temperature, b) something about water, or c) the roots are screwed up somehow. Has there been anything off about the first 2 options recently? Also maybe double check the variety you're growing to make sure it's OK with your conditions?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Mozi posted:

I'm really not sure, but if the leaves look fine then it's either a) something about temperature, b) something about water, or c) the roots are screwed up somehow. Has there been anything off about the first 2 options recently? Also maybe double check the variety you're growing to make sure it's OK with your conditions?

I have had some blight issues: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672&pagenumber=297&perpage=40#post486160462

Thing is, I'm seeing this wrinkly fruit on plants with and without the blight, and I'm seeing it all of a sudden, while the blight has been around for a while. Kinda weird, everything was firm up until a few days ago (:wiggle:)

Water: very dry weather, with consistent watering (maybe too little? I've been doing every two days but a couple [especially the potted one] are a little wilted by the second day). So yea, that might be the problem, but it's still odd that they turned wrinkly all of a sudden when the fruit is practically ready to pick.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Watering daily would be the first thing I'd try, then. Not too much, but maybe a bit more consistent moisture in the roots would help. Certainly worth a shot.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
my tomatoes are looking good, aside from the one plant that got groundhogg'd.

my legal weed is looking good, too. it's amusing to me to grow them side by side, given the prevalence of "tomatoes" as a euphemism for "pot" on various hydroponics forums.

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

Posting to say I have really enjoyed following your upside-down piss plant journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

my tomatoes are looking good, aside from the one plant that got groundhogg'd.

my legal weed is looking good, too. it's amusing to me to grow them side by side, given the prevalence of "tomatoes" as a euphemism for "pot" on various hydroponics forums.

I'm growing tomatoes hydroponically are you telling me dankdood420 isn't being truthful when he says he is? No that can't be. I guess I'll take this opportunity to plug my hydroponic thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830 .