Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well
You need to be a licensed electrician to do commercial work.

You need a neutral for the dryer.

One could pull a white wire from the panel, remove the green wire from the outlet but not the box ground screw, and put in a dryer receptacle.

The existing outlet is for 2 hots and a ground, so I'd change it out for a dryer outlet. It would work fine, but I wouldn't want someone down the line to plug in another piece of equipment expecting a ground instead of a neutral. Would only really matter if ground and neutral are not bonded in the panel that this circuit comes from.

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Thanks for the information. I did find a 30 amp cable if it could be used in some way with the existing outlet to the dryer.

I did not explain the use here, this is not a permanent installation. I am just trying to fix two dryers and test them and it will be supervised when on and once they're gone anything ive done would be reverted

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

1gnoirents posted:

Thanks for the information. I did find a 30 amp cable if it could be used in some way with the existing outlet to the dryer.

I did not explain the use here, this is not a permanent installation. I am just trying to fix two dryers and test them and it will be supervised when on and once they're gone anything ive done would be reverted

Yeah, you could use that cord/existing outlet if the ground gets put back to the outlet when you're done.

If the green ground wire isn't bonded to any other boxes, and if it isn't spliced somewhere to go to another receptacle or whatever, and if ground and neutral are bonded in the panel, and if the conduit is well-installed emt the whole way and capable of being a ground, then one could take the green wire off of the box ground screw and use it as a neutral temporarily, but that's way too many "ifs". Pulling a white wire from the panel, even if it's going to be capped off when you're done, would be the way to go.

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 9, 2021

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FISHMANPET posted:

So help an amateur out here, it looks like currently, that's a 240V with a ground and no neutral, so it can't provide any 120V power. It looks like the "3 wire" diagram assumes 2 hots and a neutral to be able to provide both 240V and 120V. Electrically you could treat the current green ground wire like a neutral but that would be VERY BAD for safety. So from what I know, that's really gonna require pulling a fourth white wire through that conduit to get a neutral to that box to be able to do the 4 wire method.

Waiting for Motoronic to point out my mistake and how making it could kill somebody.

You are correct. That dryer requires a neutral, the box does not provide one, an additional wire is required. Connecting the green wire to the N block in the dryer is against the dryer's UL listing and the NEC.

1gnoirents posted:

If you are literally standing right next to the thing and you watch it and have a fire extinguisher handy and it's for testing ONLY, then use your L6-30 cord, connect the green wire in the cord to the green on the chassis, and leave the ground strap on. If the dryer explodes, it's out of warranty now anyway. If not, then it works, and take that cord out. Don't be surprised if something somewhere in the building's panel notices the ground current. Hope your main service breaker isn't an RCD. If it is, then there's a nonzero chance that this could trip power to the entire building.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

It sounds like its in my best interest to run a neutral wire. The panel isn't very far.

Panel

So I run a wire from the bar circled here to the neutral on the dryer and then wire the two hots from that cable I have directly to the dryer? Should I do anything with that ground wire in that cable?

And if that is indeed what I should do, what do you even call this kind of wire so I can buy some? Solid copper electrical wire seem to be commonly 3 wires

Edit again: And since I've never added a wire to anything other than a turned off breaker in the past, are there safety considerations with adding a wire to the neutral bar ? Can I just... put it in ? I'd prefer not to die but

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 9, 2021

movax
Aug 30, 2008

It might be helpful to think about why grounding exists / matters to understand how miswiring neutral/ground can be bad. The whole concept behind protective Earths (PE) / the overloaded term 'GND' is to create a separate, designated path for accidentally energized things to dump a fuckload of current through and trip the upstream protection (hopefully!). Metal devices that are AC powered have a convenient death mechanism where the fact they have metal cases means it is conductive and if the insulation on the line wire rubs to a point where it shorts against the chassis, congratulations, it's now at line potential.

So, what if we tie the case to neutral? That should do it, right? Line will short to neutral, a few kA will flow for hopefully some number of milliseconds and then the upstream breaker trips. But -- neutral is the nominal return path for current. Now, if you touch the dryer, you present a non-zero impedance / resistance for current to flow, and you could become the return path instead of the neutral wire in the wall.

Now -- what if we spend the money / update all the building codes / change EVERYTHING to add a designated third wire that in ideal circumstances, doesn't actually functionally do anything (i.e., nominally not a current-carrying conductor), but in the event voltage touches it, it creates a convenient shorting path for the above protection mechanism to kick in (namely, upstream device opening under load). We tie it at one point only to the neutral, so we are 100% sure of the path it takes -- no shortcuts. Call it 'ground', slap a third prong on the plug and try to use it wherever you can. Plastic devices / double-insulated devices / etc don't strictly need to do this if a person can't reasonably touch it -- that's why most wall-warts / USB chargers / etc are still two prongs -- ground is not useful. If you start slicing open the plastic brick to try and lick the transformer in the middle that's dropping line voltage.... that's not a reasonable fault scenario to protect against.

If you take a Fluke, and measure impedance between neutral and ground -- it should be shorted together / very low. That's the whole point, they want to be equipotential. The difference is in the routing and physical wiring -- that's what keeps people safe because through construction, you create that path in the way you wire outlets and stuff.

Maybe that helps in understanding it.

GFCIs are a special class that specifically watches for current flow being equivalent (to some limit, 5 mA IIRC?) on line and neutral. If the current on neutral (for example) is more than 5 mA (again IIRC) higher/lower, the assumption is that current is taking some other unintended path (i.e., meat popsicle) and that power should be cut off.

movax fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 25, 2021

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

Yeah, land the new white wire (#10 stranded THHN) to the circled bus bar. You can just put it in as there should be zero volts between neutral and ground.

The new white wire will replace the green wire on the outlet. The cord will be using it's green wire as a neutral, so it'll land on the neutral terminal (middle one) in the dryer.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Thanks movax, I know so little about this every bit helps for context and understanding

Blackbeer posted:

Yeah, land the new white wire (#10 stranded THHN) to the circled bus bar. You can just put it in as there should be zero volts between neutral and ground.

The new white wire will replace the green wire on the outlet. The cord will be using it's green wire as a neutral, so it'll land on the neutral terminal (middle one) in the dryer.

Thanks for the wire type. So I'm clear on this

Does this seem right? Sorry if I'm missing some obvious stuff here, should I connect the ground from the salvaged cable to something (like ground on the dryer?)

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

No.

The new white wire will go to the outlet junction box, and be connected to the outlet in place of the green wire.

The green wire on the cord will go to the middle terminal of the dryer.

The cord will plug in to the outlet, which will connect the new white wire on the outlet to the green wire on the cord.

Don’t just have a loose wire from panel to dryer. When you’re done leave the white wire connected in the panel, swap the green back on the outlet, and cap the white wire off.

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 9, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is there a standard book on home electricity you guys recommend? Like, not "You are a contractor, please know how not to gently caress this up", but "This is the difference between neutral and ground, this is what the wiring diagram looks like for two switches in the same room", that sort of thing? I don't expect to be doing any wiring myself, but I like knowing how things work.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Blackbeer posted:

No.

The new white wire will go to the outlet junction box, and be connected to the outlet in place of the green wire.

The green wire on the cord will go to the middle terminal of the dryer.

The cord will plug in to the outlet, which will connect the new white wire on the outlet to the green wire on the cord.

Don’t just have a loose wire from panel to dryer. When you’re done leave the white wire connected in the panel, swap the green back on the outlet, and cap the white wire off.

Please don't do this. What Blackbeer posted is the right way to wire it up if, like, zombies have taken over the town and you absolutely need a working dryer in order to keep your ragtag group of survivors alive long enough to be rescued by the helicopter coming in. But as soon as you have a working dryer, you are going to get a call that your dog got shot and your wife just discovered she's 9 months pregnant with non-identical quadruplets, and you are going to forget all about your "temporary" wiring job until somebody decides to take a power drill to the chassis of the dryer in order to mount a clothesline, and suddenly your business is faced with a lawsuit for having a dryer not wired up to code. When they bring the expert witness in, she'll testify that for some god damned reason you wired a L6-30 to have the ground plug connected to neutral, and then connected the wire of the cable to neutral on the back of the dryer, and she'll say "I can't imagine what this person was thinking, but no licensed electrician would ever do such a ridiculous thing" and you can kiss your cruise to Haiti good-bye.

Just wire it up properly now, while you're thinking about it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there a standard book on home electricity you guys recommend? Like, not "You are a contractor, please know how not to gently caress this up", but "This is the difference between neutral and ground, this is what the wiring diagram looks like for two switches in the same room", that sort of thing? I don't expect to be doing any wiring myself, but I like knowing how things work.

I really like my copy of Wiring Complete, but if somebody else posts an answer to this, I would go with their recommendation instead.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Black and Decker of all folks has a very good book on home wiring.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Thanks guys

RIP 1gnoirents 9/9/21

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

cruft posted:

I really like my copy of Wiring Complete, but if somebody else posts an answer to this, I would go with their recommendation instead.

I've got this book too and it's really great for homeowners. I'm always sending pictures and diagrams from it to friends that are trying to swap out three-way switches and such.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

For the sake of argument, could I use the three wires as they are from the outlet and run a four wire setup if I added the separate neutral wire where its supposed to go? So from the outlet I'd run the two hots and the ground wire to the dryer in the diagram then run the neutral wire directly in ?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got the Black & Decker wiring book as well. It seems fine, I don't have another book to compare it to. It's got a good number of wiring diagrams for simple circuits, but it feels like I've still had a lot of basic questions that aren't answered by the book, and it's full of tons of stuff I'll probably never use. Just glancing through the Table of Conents of that Wiring Complete book on Amazon, it looks like it might have some more useful information.

For example, stuff that I wish was covered in some capacity in a book:
What the heck is AC vs DC
What does the neutral do
120v vs 240v and why 240v doesn't need a neutral
Some more stuff about what you'll find in an old house (knob & tube, outlets grounded purely via metal conduit, etc) but maybe I need to find an "old house" book for that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rex Cauldwell's Wiring A House has the clearest diagrams and most comprehensible explanation of ground & neutral that I've come across in a book, the best explanations have all been ITT.

FISHMANPET, you'd probably enjoy Grob's Basic Electronics, it's on the college textbook treadmill so you should be able to score a ~2010ish copy for $5 somewhere

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 9, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

For the sake of argument, could I use the three wires as they are from the outlet and run a four wire setup if I added the separate neutral wire where its supposed to go? So from the outlet I'd run the two hots and the ground wire to the dryer in the diagram then run the neutral wire directly in ?

No. You were already told this when you posted a diagram of exactly that.

That's maxmad-world level wiring. There is never a reason to do that. And whoever insures this business and/or the property would not be happy at all. Nor any code official who saw something like this going on.

It's a BUSINESS. If it's too hard or expensive to do this the correct and safe way you shouldn't be fixing dryers there.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Is this the same guy doing commercial work without a license, isn't that literally illegal (not to mention could void your liability insurance)? Come on man this doesn't sound like it's going to end well. I say this as someone who has already screwed up an electrical job where I live.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

Inner Light posted:

Is this the same guy doing commercial work without a license, isn't that literally illegal (not to mention could void your liability insurance)? Come on man this doesn't sound like it's going to end well. I say this as someone who has already screwed up an electrical job where I live.

Yeah, I should have stopped with the first part of my first post probably, especially in light of

Motronic posted:

No. You were already told this when you posted a diagram of exactly that.

cruft posted:

Please don't do this. What Blackbeer posted is the right way to wire it up if, like, zombies have taken over the town and you absolutely need a working dryer in order to keep your ragtag group of survivors alive long enough to be rescued by the helicopter coming in. But as soon as you have a working dryer, you are going to get a call that your dog got shot and your wife just discovered she's 9 months pregnant with non-identical quadruplets, and you are going to forget all about your "temporary" wiring job until somebody decides to take a power drill to the chassis of the dryer in order to mount a clothesline, and suddenly your business is faced with a lawsuit for having a dryer not wired up to code. When they bring the expert witness in, she'll testify that for some god damned reason you wired a L6-30 to have the ground plug connected to neutral, and then connected the wire of the cable to neutral on the back of the dryer, and she'll say "I can't imagine what this person was thinking, but no licensed electrician would ever do such a ridiculous thing" and you can kiss your cruise to Haiti good-bye.

Temporarily using the wrong outlet isn't great. There are literally millions of 3-wire dryer hookups (NEC legal) in the US if that's what you're concerned about. 4-wire is best and code on new home construction for a reason, but it's not exactly an end of world scenario.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blackbeer posted:

Temporarily using the wrong outlet isn't great. There are literally millions of 3-wire dryer hookups (NEC legal) in the US if that's what you're concerned about. 4-wire is best and code on new home construction for a reason, but it's not exactly an end of world scenario.

Except this isn't a home.......

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

Commercial is the same as residential with dryers. I'd still just hook it up 3-wire instead of buying a cord and plug for temporary testing if it were me. It's not to code, but little of this was; just like trying to solve stuff and it got away from me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blackbeer posted:

Commercial is the same as residential with dryers. I'd still just hook it up 3-wire instead of buying a cord and plug for temporary testing if it were me. It's not to code, but little of this was; just like trying to solve stuff and it got away from me.

Depends on who's jurisdiction. And we're talking about modifying an outlet or cord, so my code official interpretation based on the 1996 NEC is that you're wrong.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Blackbeer posted:

My thought here was if they're willing to run a single wire across the laundromat (or whatever the business is) for neutral, why not just wire up a 4-prong outlet. Like, just do it right and then the next time they need to "test" something they will have all the connections they need.

And I was also concerned about a green wire carrying neutral. I know there's nothing physically different about green insulation, but I've seen a lot of "temporary hacks" go for years and then get forgotten. It just struck me as something that would get posted in this thread with the question "what was the PO thinking here?"

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

Motronic posted:

Depends on who's jurisdiction. And we're talking about modifying an outlet or cord, so my code official interpretation based on the 1996 NEC is that you're wrong.

The dryer req's are in 240 or 50, applying to both commercial and residential, in anyone's jurisdiction. A new wiring run for a 3-wire dryer outlet wiring run is not legal for either and modifying an outlet is the lynchpin of this shitshow. What I described would not have been legal but would have been as safe as possible without buying a cord and outlet for temporary testing. Again, probably shouldn't have gotten in to it in the first place.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

And I was also concerned about a green wire carrying neutral. I know there's nothing physically different about green insulation, but I've seen a lot of "temporary hacks" go for years and then get forgotten. It just struck me as something that would get posted in this thread with the question "what was the PO thinking here?"

There is a perfectly fine solution to "wrong colored wire", and that's marking both ends, usually with the "correct" color tape.

That still doesn't make that modification code compliant for use on a dryer.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

There is a perfectly fine solution to "wrong colored wire", and that's marking both ends, usually with the "correct" color tape.

That still doesn't make that modification code compliant for use on a dryer.

Is it code compliant to replace the ground terminal with neutral on an L6-30 outlet? I know very little about this standard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

Is it code compliant to replace the ground terminal with neutral on an L6-30 outlet? I know very little about this standard.

No. An L6-30 must have a ground.

But you could replace it with a 3 prong dryer outlet......oh wait, it's not pre-1996 anymore, no you can't do that.

My point was only that you can "change" the color of wires with proper markings and be code compliant. This box/outlet is short one wire, and there is no way out of that other than running another wire for dryer use.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Bought a house, PO did some interesting electrical stuff like non-GFCI external outlets with a water mister system supply hose routed through the electrical conduit powered by a suicide cord inside the house.

Next questionable item: they wired in a generator hookup to the main panel. This is (of course) a standard 4-prong 240V socket in the garage with another suicide cord to back feed the main panel.

I know this is a Bad Idea, but exactly how much of a Bad Idea is it? I know that if I ever think about using this thing to cut the mains power first, and to take care not to run around with a live suicide cord. I don’t even have a generator at this point, just looking for some input if I ever get hit by a hurricane and need to use it in a pinch.

I guess I can use the plug for an EV charger in the garage if I ever get one of those. I have an electrician coming for some other stuff, I will probably ask him for an estimate for how much a legit generator hookup would cost.

Edit: this plug has 30A breakers. What amperage does your typical EV charger need?

smax fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 10, 2021

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

smax posted:

Bought a house, PO did some interesting electrical stuff like non-GFCI external outlets with a water mister system supply hose routed through the electrical conduit powered by a suicide cord inside the house.

Next questionable item: they wired in a generator hookup to the main panel. This is (of course) a standard 4-prong 240V socket in the garage with another suicide cord to back feed the main panel.

I know this is a Bad Idea, but exactly how much of a Bad Idea is it? I know that if I ever think about using this thing to cut the mains power first, and to take care not to run around with a live suicide cord. I don’t even have a generator at this point, just looking for some input if I ever get hit by a hurricane and need to use it in a pinch.

I guess I can use the plug for an EV charger in the garage if I ever get one of those. I have an electrician coming for some other stuff, I will probably ask him for an estimate for how much a legit generator hookup would cost.

Edit: this plug has 30A breakers. What amperage does your typical EV charger need?

Do you have a lock-out mechanism (a sliding cover preventing a breaker from turning on) so that you can't have utility power at the same time as generator power? If so, the suicide cord for generator hookup was pretty common. If you don't have a lockout mechanism, then it is an extremely bad idea as it could be energized with the simple flip of a breaker.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

smax posted:

A very bad idea, because not only could you kill yourself, but you could kill a lineman trying to fix your power down the street. It's dangerous, against code, and illegal in most areas.

Assuming the wiring is good (not a great assumption since it's clearly DIY), you may be able to do a proper interlock kit for your panel for relatively cheap. Many panels support them, though you'll probably need to move breakers around to the designated positions.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

No interlocks, of course. Main breaker is outside, main panel is inside.

I'm going to get the estimate for an actual hookup on the main breaker outside, and will re-label the breaker for the plug as an EV charger.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

It might be helpful to think about why grounding exists / matters to understand how miswiring neutral/ground can be bad. The whole concept behind protective Earths (PE) / the overloaded term 'GND' is to create a separate, designated path for accidentally energized things to dump a fuckload of current through and trip the upstream protection (hopefully!). Metal devices that are AC powered have a convenient death mechanism where the fact they have metal cases means it is conductive and if the insulation on the line wire rubs to a point where it shorts against the chassis, congratulations, it's now at line potential.

So, what if we tie the case to neutral? That should do it, right? Line will short to neutral, a few kA will flow for hopefully some number of milliseconds and then the upstream breaker trips. But -- neutral is the nominal return path for current. Now, if you touch the dryer, you present a non-zero impedance / resistance for current to flow, and you could become the return path instead of the neutral wire in the wall.

Now -- what if we spend the money / update all the building codes / change EVERYTHING to add a designated third wire that in ideal circumstances, doesn't actually functionally do anything, but in the event voltage touches it, it creates a convenient shorting path for the above protection mechanism to kick in (namely, upstream device opening under load). We tie it at one point only to the neutral, so we are 100% sure of the path it takes -- no shortcuts. Call it 'ground', slap a third prong on the plug and try to use it wherever you can. Plastic devices / double-insulated devices / etc don't strictly need to do this if a person can't reasonably touch it -- that's why most wall-warts / USB chargers / etc are still two prongs -- ground is not useful. If you start slicing open the plastic brick to try and lick the transformer in the middle that's dropping line voltage.... that's not a reasonable fault scenario to protect against.

If you take a Fluke, and measure impedance between neutral and ground -- it should be shorted together / very low. That's the whole point, they want to be equipotential. The difference is in the routing and physical wiring -- that's what keeps people safe because through construction, you create that path in the way you wire outlets and stuff.

GFCIs are a special class that specifically watches for current flow being equivalent (to some limit, 5 mA IIRC?) on line and neutral. If the current on neutral (for example) is more than 5 mA (again IIRC) higher/lower, the assumption is that current is taking some other unintended path (i.e., meat popsicle) and that power should be cut off.

This is a Good Post™

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This is a Good Post™

:yeah:

I learn a lot about how to electric by lurking this thread, but learning why really helps with remembering the how.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

movax posted:

Now -- what if we spend the money / update all the building codes / change EVERYTHING to add a designated third wire that in ideal circumstances, doesn't actually functionally do anything, but in the event voltage touches it, it creates a convenient shorting path for the above protection mechanism to kick in (namely, upstream device opening under load). We tie it at one point only to the neutral, so we are 100% sure of the path it takes -- no shortcuts. Call it 'ground', slap a third prong on the plug and try to use it wherever you can. Plastic devices / double-insulated devices / etc don't strictly need to do this if a person can't reasonably touch it -- that's why most wall-warts / USB chargers / etc are still two prongs -- ground is not useful. If you start slicing open the plastic brick to try and lick the transformer in the middle that's dropping line voltage.... that's not a reasonable fault scenario to protect against.

This is a good post indeed, we should link it from the OP so people can find it. Goes well with the "three prong upgrade" link. (Since OP still posts here I'll let them do it.)

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Another reason why this is so dangerous especially near plumbing is that we specifically tie (bond) the plumbing system to ground/neutral near the service entrance. This means that if you have copper plumbing, all your metal faucets/pipes and things are low-resistance potential current paths. Electricity always takes ALL available paths, inversely related to the impedance (resistance, basically.) So, with neutral tied to the washing machine chassis, you could take a wire and connect it between the chassis and a metal faucet and observe that wire carrying some current. The current return path (ignoring that it's AC for convenience) is 'shared' between the actual neutral wire and your plumbing system.

Now, replace that wire with your body as you reach for the faucet while touching the dryer...the impedance of that part of the circuit (you+plumbing) is higher than the neutral wire, but it may be just low enough at 120V to get enough current flowing through you to stop your heart. Dangerous current levels start around 50mA, so we're not talking about much on a circuit that can deliver 100s of times that amount.

So why do older appliances tie G to N when an actual EGC isn't available? It's a tradeoff based on that impedance rule. Yes, there is the potential for some return current to flow from the chassis through you, but the actual neutral wire should get most of it. If the chassis was floating (not tied to neutral) and then got energized with the hot, like movax explained, that would be way worse. Most of the time, you touching a neutral on a circuit with current flowing will not result in a shock, because your path back to the transformer is such high impedance. The only path is the literal earth, which you probably aren't touching.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

B-Nasty posted:

Another reason why this is so dangerous especially near plumbing is that we specifically tie (bond) the plumbing system to ground/neutral near the service entrance. This means that if you have copper plumbing, all your metal faucets/pipes and things are low-resistance potential current paths. Electricity always takes ALL available paths, inversely related to the impedance (resistance, basically.) So, with neutral tied to the washing machine chassis, you could take a wire and connect it between the chassis and a metal faucet and observe that wire carrying some current. The current return path (ignoring that it's AC for convenience) is 'shared' between the actual neutral wire and your plumbing system.

Now, replace that wire with your body as you reach for the faucet while touching the dryer...the impedance of that part of the circuit (you+plumbing) is higher than the neutral wire, but it may be just low enough at 120V to get enough current flowing through you to stop your heart. Dangerous current levels start around 50mA, so we're not talking about much on a circuit that can deliver 100s of times that amount.

So why do older appliances tie G to N when an actual EGC isn't available? It's a tradeoff based on that impedance rule. Yes, there is the potential for some return current to flow from the chassis through you, but the actual neutral wire should get most of it. If the chassis was floating (not tied to neutral) and then got energized with the hot, like movax explained, that would be way worse. Most of the time, you touching a neutral on a circuit with current flowing will not result in a shock, because your path back to the transformer is such high impedance. The only path is the literal earth, which you probably aren't touching.

This post brings to mind the post about an electrician in a crawl space with a broken lightbulb (and the reason that a crawlspace circuit needs to be GFCI protected): lightbulb was broken but turned on, electrician was crawling on the ground, got wedged in between the ground and the broken lightbulb and made contact with the conductor in the light bulb, and became the easiest path to ground and was electrocuted. My electrician was telling me that story as he ripped out the incandescent bulbs he found in my attic, but I'd already heard it here as well.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

1gnoirents posted:

Just jumping right to here.

For the sake of argument, you can use the existing ground wire and conduit to pull in a new ground wire (green #10 stranded THHN) and neutral wire (white #10 stranded THHN). You then install a NEMA 15-30 plug in that outlet box. Then wire up the NEMA 15-30 cord to your now-4-wire-dryer, test the dryer, and do whatever you want with it. If you need the L6-30 later, you unwire the 15-30 plug, put a wire nut on the white wire in the box, wire the L6-30, and go.

There's conduit, the panel is right there, this is the correct way.

Do not entertain ANY OTHER IDEAS. Full stop. DO not speculate. Do not assume. DO not take any shortcuts of any kind at all, including ones suggested earlier in this thread. DO not do anything else, at all, except the right way.

Full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

H110Hawk posted:

This is a good post indeed, we should link it from the OP so people can find it. Goes well with the "three prong upgrade" link. (Since OP still posts here I'll let them do it.)

I have done as you asked.