Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey DELETED, what were the bushings that everyone likes again? I'm ready to swap out the stock bushings on my crackedskulls already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

leica posted:

Hey DELETED, what were the bushings that everyone likes again? I'm ready to swap out the stock bushings on my crackedskulls already.

Running Khiro double barrel bushings seems like the standard, I run a Orange and Blue combination on my Dervish.

Buying something like this kit is a pretty good investment if you're not sure what type of ride you're looking for.

There are some smaller companies like Venom that apparently do a good drat fine job as well.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
This is my favourite skate short on Vimeo. These guys just look like their having a fun, chilled session. :)

http://vimeo.com/1340684

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I need to get me some skate buddies already.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Shortymrbig posted:

I need to get me some skate buddies already.

Aye, I know the feeling.

Right now, one of my chums is learning to unicycle so we practice together at local flatland spots.

I know people who skate but they never seem to be into non-park chills. :/

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh man, last weekend was the best.

I finally dropped in for the first time. Felt like I was playing a video game and I had cheats on. I never knew it would feel so natural, so smooth, so surreal.

Still loving the hell out of the Lee & Joe Jamail Skatepark in Houston. I go Sunday morning when it's cool outside and nobody is there yet.

For a sense of scale, that cradle in the top left is this here cradle:

I can't wait to bring some of my 6th grade students and have them catch up and surpass me in skill. Little shits are indestructible at the skate park!

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
The Machotaildrop trailer looks pretty cool, appropriately hipster-esque.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 5, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

donJonSwan posted:

You did not link what you think you linked.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Bucket Joneses posted:

You did not link what you think you linked.

Wow, you're totally right.

Fixed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

donJonSwan posted:

they just had to use the generic indie film hand-lettering didn't they?

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

qirex posted:

they just had to use the generic indie film hand-lettering didn't they?

Yeah. I've seen it; it's decent at best. Some aspects of it really bothered me, but it definitely had a phat John Rattray cameo.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
Anyone feel the difference between Reds and Super Reds? They feel and skate like the exact same bearing.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Don't know if there are any other Scots here, but Edinburgh's new monster concrete park is coming along nicely:

http://www.edinburghskatepark.org.uk/

It's a total beast, I'm fearing for my own personal safety already!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Wow. That is amazing looking. Color me jealous

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Obscuritatem posted:

Don't know if there are any other Scots here, but Edinburgh's new monster concrete park is coming along nicely:

http://www.edinburghskatepark.org.uk/

It's a total beast, I'm fearing for my own personal safety already!

I used to live right around the corner from where they're building this. I moved away just as they got the green light. :(

It looks loving great too!

Edit: It still won't live up to the atmosphere of Bristo Square though. :)

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I didn't even know this thread existed so I was pretty psyched when I searched for it. Ive been skating since I was in 6th grade. I wanted to ask anyone from Chicago what they thought about an indoor private skatepark. I'm looking to build one and I've got a couple of locations scoped out. I have been talking with Team Pain about construction and I think I'm going to go with them for the project. Anyone have any reasons why they think it might flop? Anyone heard of any other Chicago skateparks being built? Ive heard Logan Square's underbridge park is a bust.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
In my experience, private skate parks often fail in a financial sense.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I think much of the failure of private parks is due to the gigantic loans people take out with no way of paying them back. I know I might be a little optimistic thinking that the park we are building would be different, but having the capital to build and rent without loans means the park will not have the bank taking a large cut every time the park makes money. I'm not disqualifying your belief, but in my experience the city of Chicago has a couple lovely parks that can only be skated during the day in the right weather. A correctly designed indoor park can attract visitors during any weather, especially in a city with such a large population. Thanks for your response though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There are multiple reasons why indoor parks typically fail. The first and largest hurdle is to get starting capital. The second part comes down to the owners. Now I don't want to paint with too large a brush but largely, the people who decide to open a park are not business people first but rather skaters first. Which is to say their heart is in the right place but the have no clue how to run a business.

It is not a "If you build it they will come situation." People don't immediately rush to the new park just because its there.

Secondly, there are typically huge issues/hassles in getting set up and setting up the proper insurance/liability waiver situations. Often the location will suck as well because most people don't want a skatepark indoor or outdoor near their homes because its going to end up with a lot of groms loitering.

Lastly, if you dont' have a good design and flow for the park word will get out and consider yourself DOA.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I'd love to set up a smallish private park with 4 or 5 other key holders.

Just an old man bunker with a fun bowl or some such poo poo.

Here's a cool article on Slap talking about this poo poo exactly.

I just don't know enough people to get it rolling.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Cashing in on the offer for help getting a setup. I'm 210 lbs looking to get in to skateboarding. I've never done it before in my life. I want to use it mostly for weekend transportation to the park and occaisionally as a way to get around the neighborhood - nowhere to keep a bike where I'm at, you see. I'm also a pretty drat good snowboarder, I do mostly back country and "skier runs" so I'm looking for a way to train my balance during the warm months. I definitely do not want a longboard. Too many people where I'm at get those, ride them for a month, and then never use them again. There's a pretty sweet skate park where I'm at but I'm not quite interested in that yet. I'd be thankful for any advice anyone could give!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Shania Twain posted:

I think much of the failure of private parks is due to the gigantic loans people take out with no way of paying them back. I know I might be a little optimistic thinking that the park we are building would be different, but having the capital to build and rent without loans means the park will not have the bank taking a large cut every time the park makes money. I'm not disqualifying your belief, but in my experience the city of Chicago has a couple lovely parks that can only be skated during the day in the right weather. A correctly designed indoor park can attract visitors during any weather, especially in a city with such a large population. Thanks for your response though.

Shania,

It's people like you who I'd like to personally thank.

Recently in Montreal some older guys set up and built an indoor bowl with a small street course complete with skate shop. I'm not sure how they are doing but no one skates for free, everyone (including local heros) understands that for a place like it to remain open is to pay up so the lights can stay on. The winters in Montreal are rough as hell and a place like this close, to a metro system is a godsend.

It's pretty small, and nothing on the scale that Team Pain is, but it has a good vibe and everyone is pretty level headed.

http://www.ndgskate.com/

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

MobMentality posted:

Cashing in on the offer for help getting a setup. I'm 210 lbs looking to get in to skateboarding. I've never done it before in my life. I want to use it mostly for weekend transportation to the park and occaisionally as a way to get around the neighborhood - nowhere to keep a bike where I'm at, you see. I'm also a pretty drat good snowboarder, I do mostly back country and "skier runs" so I'm looking for a way to train my balance during the warm months. I definitely do not want a longboard. Too many people where I'm at get those, ride them for a month, and then never use them again. There's a pretty sweet skate park where I'm at but I'm not quite interested in that yet. I'd be thankful for any advice anyone could give!

Depending on where you live, I'd hit up the local shop and pick up a 8.5 to 9" deck.

Some rad smaller companies who make sturdy decks are Deckcrafters, Old Man Army and Bacon.

Search around for a local brand and support those dudes.

You'll want Indy 169 trucks, 1/4" risers and a pair of Bones Medium Bushings (these are important).

Soft-ish 60mm 85a wheels like Rainskate Tsunamis would give you a nice smooth ride, and they'll be big enough to roll over some nasty pebbles.

Go for Bones Reds, or Bones Swiss bearings depending on your budget.

Grip doesn't matter, I dig Mob.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 10, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Cool. I just bought a new Sector 9 longboard to coast around the neighborhood with my kid while she rides her razor. We rode for a few hours today; I actually wore my six-year-old out which I thought was impossible. I think it's called a Gremmie; I bought it new (or very much like new) off Craigslist for $130. If the price is high I don't care, but I don't think it is. But it has uhm 65mm 78a wheels, Gullwing trucks (dunno what kind), 40" solid wood (birch is what the guy told me) deck. Already wiped out pretty hard when my back foot was over the tailend and for some reason I lifted my front foot off. Thankfully my kid saw it, because when she wiped out pretty hard on her razor (shut up she's six) she remembered daddy walked it off and got back on the board.

I'm pretty enthusiastic. It was a really great day for us. I used to dread when she would ask me to go on scooter rides because it was boring as gently caress walking behind her. Now I run her rear end in the dirt.

Boppin
Sep 4, 2004
DO YOU WANT TO HEAR A STORY?
Picked up a Creature Sam Hitz pro deck the other day. loving huge difference from the blank/shop decks I normally ride. Never pushing Chinese wood again.

Just need some new wheels now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fakie big spins are go.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

Fakie big spins are go.

Post/Avatar combo delight!

Right now, I've developed slight shin splints in my right leg. I have to take it easy and make sure I do stretches before heading out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Speaking of indoor parks, I grew up skating one in Milwaukee Wisconsin called the Turf. It had huge garage doors down the side that were open during the summer and closed during winter and heated. It's the measuring stick for every park I have skated and nothing has come close yet.

I was there when Santa Cruz filmed "Streets On Fire" and got to meet all the pros and skate with them. I witnessed a fight between Salba and Rob Roskopp that they show part of in the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yPieA6iiEk

Notice the part where Salba is carving one of the clover bowls over and over (2:15 in) you could literally keep going until your legs gave out, it was the best feeling ever.

Jason Jesse was the coolest, he was there all day every day until they all left. I bought a brand new deck from him for 30 bucks so he could get a bag of weed :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEGZ38kvIAk

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I am the most obnoxious longboarding old person ever. I ride it literally everywhere.*

I noticed that the tip of my board's tail is starting to splinter. How do I fix this, or do I? Also, holy gently caress my feet get loving tired from steering back and forth. Is there a good shoe that combats this?

I'm glad I was in pretty good shape before I started skateboarding, otherwise I would totally quit. It's definitely a workout steering that little fucker around, plus having good core strength is key for actually making those tight turns.

Finally, I spend like $25 on a pro-tec helmet. Hope it doesn't suck.

*I am 30 years old

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
RobotEmpire
I dont ride longboards, but i notice that when I wear out a pair of basic skateboarding shoes my feet start to hurt. I usually just get a cheap pair off of ccs.com because they always have stuff in their sale section. I know a lot of the longboarders I see during the summer wear flip flops because its cool so I'm not sure if thats what your problem is, but really any flat pair of shoes is skateable. I used to rock reebok classics when they were cheaper than any name brand shoe.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Shania Twain posted:

RobotEmpire
I dont ride longboards, but i notice that when I wear out a pair of basic skateboarding shoes my feet start to hurt. I usually just get a cheap pair off of ccs.com because they always have stuff in their sale section. I know a lot of the longboarders I see during the summer wear flip flops because its cool so I'm not sure if thats what your problem is, but really any flat pair of shoes is skateable. I used to rock reebok classics when they were cheaper than any name brand shoe.

Yeah I'm wearing my Vibram FiveFingers now. Board's a lot more steerable when I don't have an inch of shoe material between me and the board.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

RobotEmpire posted:

Yeah I'm wearing my Vibram FiveFingers now. Board's a lot more steerable when I don't have an inch of shoe material between me and the board.

Go out and get a pair of skate shoes.

Those creepy space feet are hideous and embarrassing.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

donJonSwan posted:

Go out and get a pair of skate shoes.

Those creepy space feet are hideous and embarrassing.

Dude, I'm a 30-year-old guy riding around a long board in a low-income neighborhood with a six-year-old riding a Razor scooter. Hideous and embarrassing shoes are the least of my worries.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
There are a lot of 30+ dudes out there riding with their kids, I'm drat near 30 myself.

Being old isn't an excuse for being a kook.

Honestly though, I'm self conscious enough to buy into style nearly as much as substance. Do what feels right and keep riding.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
So my leg is feeling better and i'm taking up the task of getting comfortable rolling switch.

Jesus. It's like i've never skated!

P.S. Those footgloves made me snort and guffaw like crazy. Hideous but intriguing.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Mincher posted:

So my leg is feeling better and i'm taking up the task of getting comfortable rolling switch.

Jesus. It's like i've never skated!

P.S. Those footgloves made me snort and guffaw like crazy. Hideous but intriguing.

They're not really any better than wearing a thin-soled shoe like my Onitsuka Tigers. Having very, very little between your foot and the thing you're standing on makes a huge difference on your ability to balance. I'm talking in general, not just skating. Running, weight lifting, and yeah longboarding too.

In other news, where in general is a good place to cruise? I don't mean like in my town, but what kind of places are good to go to? My kid and I are pretty tired of tooling around the neighborhood, and I don't want to just drive to a different neighborhood.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

RobotEmpire posted:

In other news, where in general is a good place to cruise? I don't mean like in my town, but what kind of places are good to go to? My kid and I are pretty tired of tooling around the neighborhood, and I don't want to just drive to a different neighborhood.

Get some pads for your kid and find some hills to bomb, one of the best feelings on a skateboard.

Dutchbag
Jun 13, 2006
just went into the skateshop yesterday and dropped cash on a girl deck, venture trucks, and spitfire wheels.

the only thing is, my city has very few good locations to skate at.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Sirkus posted:

Get some pads for your kid and find some hills to bomb, one of the best feelings on a skateboard.

She has a full set of pads for her scooter, including gloves. I have nothing. Helmet's supposed to come in today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Dutchbag posted:

just went into the skateshop yesterday and dropped cash on a girl deck, venture trucks, and spitfire wheels.

the only thing is, my city has very few good locations to skate at.

"If you build it, they will come..."

Seriously, a few hours at the weekend and you can knock up a nice kicker and grindbox for you and all your chums. :)