Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I've decided to get my first new skateboard since somewhere around 2000. I was terrible then, I'll be terrible now. I'm getting the shop deck from a skate shop back home which looks rad as hell and reminds me of home. What would be a good cheap set of trucks/wheels/etc.

What you are looking to do, how large you are, etc. should all be factored into your buying decisions. It might even be worth it just to go to your local shop and get a complete.

I can only speak from a street skating background. I find that Ventures are the best for the price. Light, pretty cheap, and generally durable. Bearings don't really matter much to me; They're cheap enough that I can pay up the $15 or so when I bust 'em. ABEC 5 is standard, I usually go with Diamonds or Luckys. Wheels, like bearings, don't matter too much to me. 99a and 53mm, I usually just go with my local shop's. Hardware is probably the least important thing to consider but I usually go with Diamond. Grip tape is always hecka cheap so w/e on that.

I wish it wasn't winter in the northeast right now. It's been surprisingly mild though and I've managed to get out a few times within the past month but I broke a kingpin in December and wasn't able to get to a store until the middle of January. It snowed here this weekend though, which sucked. Apparently there's an indoor park close to me that I need to hit up soon, and my local shop has a mini-ramp in the back which loving owns but I've only hit it up twice.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Dec 31, 2009

I picked up a new board a few weeks ago, but haven't really ridden it all that much yet. Only got one short session in so far.
Bombsquad Agent Orange, really comfy and a good size and shape. Its odd adjusting to being on a longer wheelbase (26.5 or 28.5 options) than the 24" on my Comet Ethos, mostly because there is so much less grip. Throwing slides at low speeds it was so much easier to get the board out but I found myself loosing balance a lot. Part of that is from hardly having skated since last spring or so. When its nicer I'm gonna bike to the decent hills north of me and spend more time goin' fast and throwing slides.
Here it is next to my ex-girlfriends Comet Crystal Chalice, with Caliber 44* trucks and 80a blue Metro Motion wheels.

No riser, no bite, just the way I like it.
The wheel wells are really good, but because Calibers move the effective wheelbase in compared to other RKP trucks, they match the inner wheel wells perfectly when on the outer wheelbase. I don't really plan to run it on the shorter wheelbase with these trucks so its not really a big deal.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Winter has been poo poo as usual, I've maybe been out 3 or 4 times since December. Just been pissing wet and cold for ages. My folks got me a new street setup for my 30th, bless 'em, so I'm just waiting for some dry days to get it out.

Want to try out my new family size cruiser as well.

I fancy sticking some stomper tread wheels on it and setting it up for bombing dirt.

Horizontal Tree
Dec 31, 2009

All of these videos need to be posted here because holy gently caress big boards own if you can ride them like a boss. Seriously watch them all and be amazed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1lA9CABcEU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGcuiPrp8U8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vadnd9qNdAh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHNNO3MBQ44

Obscuritatem, how big are those boards? I think my friends sister has one just like the left, but with a different graphic. Its fun for a quick run to 7/11 or similar.
I can't decide if I want to thin my quiver by selling either my single-kick (Comet Ethos 37) or giant double-kick (Earthwing Crewzer or just keep both and learn to use kicktails properly. I could use money for other things and I don't really skate enough but I'm so attached to them

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 18, 2012

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Those no-comply flips he does up the stairs in the the last link are just ace. I just saw that Broadway Bomb video on the Earthwing site as well, holy poo poo!

The landshark is pretty small, about the size of a normal street deck with the front kick taken off. SC make a load of them with different graphics nowadays, great for just rolling place to place.
The Heroin setup with the big soft wheels is just normal street size and 8" wide but slightly asymmetric. Most of the street spots here are super rough, little 99a wheels barely even roll so I'm usually on that one.
The SC monster is huge, it came with 10" indys and is pretty much the same width all the way down!

The Girl was my bday setup, I don't think I would of bought Royal trucks myself but I'm actually finding them to be really good, they feel exactly like Ventures I had years ago that I loved and swore I'd never replace.

Horizontal Tree
Dec 31, 2009

What wheels are on the Heroin? The colour makes me think Abec 11 but I can't tell anything else.
My big double kick is 38x9.5, and I have Indy 215s and some worn-down-to 61mm 80a Venom Sidewinders. Its the same as the guy I posted above is riding in the second video, but without the extra inch on either end... and I suck at riding it
Although, I do have the rad rear end old one with awesomer graphics

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

I had a look for one of those EW Crewzers when some pics were posted way back in this thread, they seem to be hard to get in the UK in that shape. The Jailbird complete looks pretty cool though, 9.5 is a nice size too.

The wheels on the Heroin are fairly cheap Mindless Speedballs.

They're meant to be the same hardness as the Road Rider wheels SC stick on all their Cruzer completes, but they ride a fair bit harder and faster. They're pretty sticky, and they make nose and tailslides an adventure, but you can skate super sketchy surfaces on 'em and they go forever at the park.

Horizontal Tree
Dec 31, 2009

I was probably the one who posted the Crewzer earlier in the thread. Its a really awesome deck and it pops super well for being so big, and I've had plenty of street skaters impressed by how it rides. The Venom Sidewinders I have on it are awesome for it, they're really slippery but still plenty soft and comfy. Made for freeriding and big slides, but work really well on there since I've taken 10mm off of them.

Heres a UK retailer that carries Earthwing, Crewzer is out of stock though.
http://www.octanesport.com/earthwing-crewzer.html

Earthwing is also coming out with a new Drifter in two sizes soon. Designed for tech sliding but I'm sure it'd be equally great as an oversized, soft wheel street deck

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

So I went to my local parking ramp this weekend and took some kinda dumb footage with a couple buddies on Friday. It's not super exciting as the ramp doesn't get very fast, but for being filmed and edited drunk it turned out alright.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW7D8EkSt64&context=C3847a2fADOEgsToPDskJ_r7gNPzGsmR_TzqkLO7xT

Horizontal Tree
Dec 31, 2009

Holy shiiiit Tony Hawk and Andy Macdonald doubles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PpD9z_309Y

What are you guys riding Yerok? I wish we had garages to ride where I live, especially since my setups are all perfect for riding them

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 22, 2012

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Well there's the excuse I needed to post Tony Hawk's latest footage, it caught me by surprise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDsLyLXLxeQ

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

I noticed the BMX/MTB thread is in the Watch and Woot now with the all the running and cycling threads, was wondering if NBWBW would be a bit busier if it was in there as well? There's probably quite a few skaters or people who might be interested in starting that might not have seen this thread. It does tend to get bumped off the page all the time by the ballsports, racing and whatever in SASS.

I Pledge The Legence fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 22, 2012

desert pickle
Jun 9, 2007

You can touch and lick em' all.

Picked these up around 7 years ago. It was hard not to skate the first one I bought because I liked the size and shape so much. Glad I didn't now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Those are really cool. gotta catch em all! I've got quite a few decks just as hangers but madness lies down that road.
You start off casually browsing ebay and before you know it you're pimping yourself out for a blue-stained misprinted 1986 Roskopp.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

I bought my first deck since the 1990s :3: As a volcanologist I saw that and was like WELP IMPULSE BUY.

What kind of trucks do I want to get wrt low/high/med? I'll be using it for transportation over short distances but would like to pretend I'm going to be ripping up a skatepark but really none of it will matter because I'll stand on the skateboard then break my ankle.

I was thinking of these.

Horizontal Tree
Dec 31, 2009

If you're going to be using it to get around more than doing flippy tricks and all, go with higher trucks so you can turn better, and softer wheels. As someone who is into sliding down hills rather than down rails, I'd suggest Indy's or Aces, and I could possibly point you towards some nice small soft wheels if you want

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Cult Classics!!

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

I had a set of Ventures for years and loved them, they never even broke in the end, just completely wore through the baseplate at the bolts!
If you want to go a bit cheaper have a look at Bullets - classic NHS brand, come in wider sizes and turn like beasts.

If you don't fancy huge soft wheels and don't want to spend a tonne Spitfire cheapshots are amazing for the price. They've got a nice urethane that still feels and sounds soft on rough surfaces, even though they're quite hard. I like the wider profile on spits too.

Post pics of your setup when you're all sorted, artistic shots of the concave, maybe some graphic closeups of greased bearings, we love that poo poo round here.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

I went with these on the advice of another goon. On one hand they're pricy, on the other hand a random seller on Ebay gave me fifty bucks to change my feedback from neutral to positive so I figure free money why not.

Obscuritatem posted:

Post pics of your setup when you're all sorted, artistic shots of the concave, maybe some graphic closeups of greased bearings, we love that poo poo round here.

I'm having it all sent to a house near where I'm moving after my wedding, so I won't have it all put together for a while.

Next up: wheels! Oh god why do these all look like poop?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

I really like the Theeves. I'm on my second pair of TIAX. A few friends recently got some Aces and drat if those don't seem to turn just a little bit easier. As far as turny-ness goes it seems to go like this: Independants < Theeves < Aces

desert pickle
Jun 9, 2007

You can touch and lick em' all.

Obscuritatem posted:

Those are really cool. gotta catch em all! I've got quite a few decks just as hangers but madness lies down that road.
You start off casually browsing ebay and before you know it you're pimping yourself out for a blue-stained misprinted 1986 Roskopp.

I ran a skate park for a few years so I got them at cost. I haven't got too deep into collecting but I love the art aspect of it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I've been skating for about 6 years now, for my first two on a lovely no-brand (and no design) local made deck I bought at Warped Tour in Vancouver, and then did my own lovely grip-tape job on (which taught me to never try and do this again).

In any case I was never even vaguely good at trick or street skating (I can still do little more than ollie), which prompted me to pick up the first of these two skates (on the left, below) about 4 years ago:

It remains my favorite deck (although it's starting to show it's age), a decent transition which can still pick up quite a bit of speed on a downhill. I wish I could say more about the second deck but I bought it for 5 bucks at a garage sale almost mint, and I forget what the guy at the shop had to say about it. The smaller board seems to throw off the size of the larger in that photo, they measure 38" by 8&3/4", and 31" by 9&3/4".

I've been considering picking up a new regular street skating deck lately, though I'm still doubtful I'll get anywhere on it; is it a good idea to try to go as light as possible for a relative beginner like myself? (I'm only 150lbs, so I'm not gonna be breaking anything too easily I think).

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

So I picked up a board back in college, tried to learn how to ollie, but could never figure it out, and dammit I really want to ride, and maybe help me get back into better shape. Bought an element board based on looks, and got some Destructo Trucks. I keep reading tips on the best way to learn to ollie but I can't get it down.. Any good pointers?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Practice. It's frustrating as gently caress, but it's pretty much the only way. It'll feel awkward and you'll probably just kick the board off behind you or something. This will happen repeatedly. Slowly, it'll start to click. I think it's a lot easier to learn rolling (I learned by repeatedly trying to clear an old broomstick). But I know some people that say it's easier to learn while stationary, so I'd say try both and see what works for you. Once you get it, it'll just be a matter of fine tuning it. I've gone years without skating, but I could step back onto a board and still nail ollies (and varials) like I never stopped.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

fyallm posted:

So I picked up a board back in college, tried to learn how to ollie, but could never figure it out, and dammit I really want to ride, and maybe help me get back into better shape. Bought an element board based on looks, and got some Destructo Trucks. I keep reading tips on the best way to learn to ollie but I can't get it down.. Any good pointers?

This guy has a youtube channel dedicated to teaching you skate tricks. He's not the most radical aggro dude but he seems to have the most thorough and detailed explanation of tons tricks in one place.

How to ollie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp5_jSPJE4

do it hundreds of times, over and over. Eventually you will get it right and then you will figure out how to keep getting it right. I would recommend doing it stationary at first. In the grass or on carpet even.

You might start trying to mess with shuv-its too: http://www.youtube.com/user/aronl#p...3/1/DnCJStZaO8Q

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/aronl#p/a

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

JawKnee posted:

I wish I could say more about the second deck but I bought it for 5 bucks at a garage sale almost mint, and I forget what the guy at the shop had to say about it. The smaller board seems to throw off the size of the larger in that photo, they measure 38" by 8&3/4", and 31" by 9&3/4".

I've been considering picking up a new regular street skating deck lately, though I'm still doubtful I'll get anywhere on it; is it a good idea to try to go as light as possible for a relative beginner like myself? (I'm only 150lbs, so I'm not gonna be breaking anything too easily I think).

That Jeff Kendall deck got a SC classics re-release so it could be worth a bit of cash if it's an original. If it's the re-issue you still got an amazing bargain anyway.

http://www.skateandannoy.com/features/ebay/2006/ebay040/
The white colourway of that same deck went for $630 back in 2006!

Edit:
OK, I just came back from TK Maxx (TJ Maxx in the states I guess) and it's rare they have skate brand stuff here, maybe the odd DC or Indy tee, but by some weird coincidence today they had this for a tenner:

I didn't even know you could fit so much 80's on a t-shirt.
Proper awful graphic, I love it! Gonna wear it everywhere. I wonder if I could get one in pink...

I Pledge The Legence fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 25, 2012

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Thanks I actually use to practice it at my old job in a call center, haha. I plan on watching those vids and hopefully putting some time in this weekend if it isn't weekend.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Obscuritatem posted:

That Jeff Kendall deck got a SC classics re-release so it could be worth a bit of cash if it's an original. If it's the re-issue you still got an amazing bargain anyway.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Went on a bit of a search and found this ebay listing for the same deck, and this older retail listing from 2008 (I think) which both confirm that it's a reissue and that I'm unlikely to get much for it if I tried to sell it used, but as you said, I got great deal.

E: Yup, it's a 2007 reissue.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Anyone know anything about Girl wheels? Really considering trying to track down a pair of the Loonie/Toonie wheels or I kind of love goatwheels.

Horizontal Tree
Dec 31, 2009

If anyone wants little soft wheels, seriously check these out http://skately.com/shop/p/venom-street-snakes-skateboard-wheels
I ride the old Venom Sidewinders on my big double kick, but I've worn them down to the size of these. (Old Sidewinders were 71mm and red thane like the Street Snakes, just 10mm bigger)

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone know anything about Girl wheels? Really considering trying to track down a pair of the Loonie/Toonie wheels or I kind of love goatwheels.

Don't buy wheels for the picture on them, you'll be really sad after about 6 hours of skating around when it's all scratched off.

From my experience, all company wheels are generic and work well. I'd rather skate Bones or Spitfires, but whatevers.

Rainskates and Venom both make better wheels that cost a little more scratch.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

I've got Spitfire, Alien Workshop, Bullet, Enuff and Chocolate street wheels and TBH I can't really tell the difference between most of them for park skating or rolling on smooth tarmac.

Spitfires seem to have the widest profile out of all of them, they sit almost flush with the axle nuts of the trucks, which I really like.
I've got three sets of spits, ancient (12 year old!) fireriders, basic white cheapshots and some 58mm Stu Graham sigs.
The Fireriders and Cheapshots I think are the standard spit formula (same as classics, bigheads, swirls etc) they are so much smoother than any of my other street wheels it's weird. If I was still skating concrete parks every day I don't think I'd use anything else.

New wheels fresh out of the plastic are the best. Anyone else get the urge to taste them? ...Just saying, It would be nice if OJ's tasted of orange.

I'm not a pervert

Horizontal Tree
Dec 31, 2009

donJonSwan posted:

Don't buy wheels for the picture on them, you'll be really sad after about 6 hours of skating around when it's all scratched off.

From my experience, all company wheels are generic and work well. I'd rather skate Bones or Spitfires, but whatevers.

This is true. Smaller, harder wheels are often stock urethane from whatever company pours them, whereas longboard wheels from companies like Abec 11, Venom, Metro, Rainskates, Orangatang, Sector 9, Cult, Divine, Nersh, etc, have a lot more testing and time put into them. Urethane formula makes a HUGE difference in ride characteristics. It really matters more on bigger, softer wheels, that are being ridden faster, slid on, trusted to grip corners at speed, and wear evenly while doing it all. These days urethane formulas are tweaked and tested constantly before a company settles on a final formula, and will sometimes even have a slightly different formula between different durometers of the same wheel design. Using stock urethanes and shapes saves time and money
I love wheels and I've ridden so many that picking new ones is tough, thinking about the shape and urethane and how I want them to act

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yMTHKncFL8w

I just finished building myself a popscicle stick for getting around the shop. I can't wait until I can do what he's doing (yeah right).

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Horizontal Tree posted:

Holy shiiiit Tony Hawk and Andy Macdonald doubles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PpD9z_309Y

I still remember either during the Gravity Games or one of the X Games, I forget witch because it was in the late 90s after all, when vert doubles was still a big thing and Andy and Tony were partners. I remember during one of the finals, Tony hops off his board and walks over to the edge of the coping and held his board right at his waist, like in did in this video. But instead of flipping the board to Andy, he held it in place and allowed him to basically stall on his board while he held it. I think they won because the judges didn't know how to score it.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting one of those Stereo or Penny Cruisers, just because they're so dope looking and it would be easier to carry around in back of my car. Anyone have any experience with them yet and if so how are they? Are they worth the time or are they crap.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Penny cruisers are fantastic! They're so much fun to just putter around town on. I didn't have the best of times on them until I rode one with a footstop, though. I kept slipping off the front a lot without one.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

screenwritersblues posted:

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting one of those Stereo or Penny Cruisers, just because they're so dope looking and it would be easier to carry around in back of my car. Anyone have any experience with them yet and if so how are they? Are they worth the time or are they crap.

I have a Stereo one and its pretty cool. Havn't had much use due to the weather though. The bearing aren't the greatest but they can be easily changed

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Any Scottish nwbw skated the Crieff dam?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nj1pMFg1o

I was up at the Crieff park on Sunday and it was totally empty. Great wee park too, I think if we get a nice weekend I'm going to head back and see what the dam is like.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

donJonSwan posted:

Doesn't everybody flip the graphic inwards on new wheels anyway?

I don't like riding Spitfires because they tend to flatspot pretty easily, especially when doing lipslides or bluntslides on ledges or speed checks. I usually just buy whatever blank white wheels are at the shop or that my friends hook me up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pardiggle
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Are there some decent starter videos/guides out there? A friend and I found some decent skateboards and figure we'd like to try skateboarding out. We've been practicing on them for a few days now, and we haven't fallen too much yet.