Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Has anyone else noticed a LOT more GPU ( not a typo) fan activity under Windows 7?

I've got my home machine dual booting which has an Nvidia 7800GT. On XP the fan hardly ever runs even when running games, however in Win7 It's constantly cycling itself on and off sometimes taking time to throttle up just from opening IE8.

I'm wondering if Rivatuner runs under 7. I may just use that to hardwire it.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Lum posted:

Until you want to run some old app that is incompatable :P

Which is what besides antivirus and disk imaging software

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Has anyone else noticed a LOT more GPU ( not a typo) fan activity under Windows 7?

I've got my home machine dual booting which has an Nvidia 7800GT. On XP the fan hardly ever runs even when running games, however in Win7 It's constantly cycling itself on and off sometimes taking time to throttle up just from opening IE8.

Sounds like a driver problem. Are you using the latest drivers?

Factor Mystic posted:

There are multiple apps that run perfectly fine in Win7 to do both of these.

Lum posted:

Until you want to run some old app that is incompatable :P

I might be missing some sarcasm here but you could always run such an app in XP Mode.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Phayray posted:

I might be missing some sarcasm here but you could always run such an app in XP Mode.

:ssh: XP Mode isn't in the Home version.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I apologize if this has been covered, but it's a long thread and I could only skim it.

I currently dual-boot with Vista and Linux. If I upgrade Vista to Win7, will it attempt to destroy or change my Linux partition? I saw that people have had to add things back to the boot menu, but I want to make sure it won't cause any other problems. Has anyone done this?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Windows has never touched a partition you didn't tell it to install on, but it will absolutely write its own boot loader in place of what you currently have.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Farking Bastage posted:

Shouldn't be taxing a 7800GT all that much but yes, there should be a lot more GPU load. The UI graphic elements in Vista/7 are hardware rendered by the GPU, unlike XP and earlier which were rendered by the CPU. This is a very good thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am tempted to turn on sticky keys now because every time you press shift it sounds like lasers.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

giZm posted:

I'm one of those horrible people who turn off UAC, so no idea.

Hrm. Well, okay, I'll try it and see what happens.

drat, why didn't I see that before? I'm definitely in. Not sure if I'll make the deadline for this one as I'm rather busy this week, but the next one is a sure thing.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Basic question that I'm sure has been answered but this thread is huge :ohdear:.

I'm upgrading from XP 32 to 7 64, and before I take the plunge I'm trying to grab all the drivers that I need. Is it safe to assume that a Vista 64 driver will carry over to 7 if there aren't any 7 specific drivers listed?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

How are y'all using it? MSDN? I have it preordered. Is there any way I can use it now? (I got vista early through MSDN)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Dominoes posted:

How are y'all using it? MSDN? I have it preordered. Is there any way I can use it now? (I got vista early through MSDN)

Some people are still on RC, but yeah, most of us have it on RTM via MSDN, you can also trial up to 120 days without a key, so if you have it preordered, you can install RTM without the key, rearm it every 30 days till you get your key and then put it in. Just be sure you install the same version, and it probably won't work well if you got an upgrade.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Antivirus and disk imaging software that are incompatible with Win7 are not apps I would even consider running on a system that has a Win7 partition.

No it's usually more obscure or bespoke apps that are the problem. For example I have the parts database apps for both Nissan and Volvo, neither of which run on Win7 except in the XP Mode virtual machine. (The Nissan one comes in both 16bit and 32bit versions and both versions look like Windows 3.1 apps)

There is also the driver that I use to update my Origin B2 (A GPS device that maintains a database of speed cameras) The USB interface doesn't work on Vista or 7, only XP, however I just use the serial cable instead which does work only it triggers a UAC prompt, apparently you need admin to access the serial port now? However if I only had the USB cable I'd have to use USB pass through to XP mode to get it to work.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

NmareBfly posted:

Basic question that I'm sure has been answered but this thread is huge :ohdear:.

I'm upgrading from XP 32 to 7 64, and before I take the plunge I'm trying to grab all the drivers that I need. Is it safe to assume that a Vista 64 driver will carry over to 7 if there aren't any 7 specific drivers listed?

They're pretty related, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Hell, if they're signed, some things can (and do) still use XP-compatible drivers, although this is serious last resort territory. (Also it should go without saying that the new video and sound models mean you can't do this with those parts of the system.)

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

NmareBfly posted:

I made such an install last month and all my hardware was recognized off the bat. As long as your NIC wasn't designed in the last month, you can safely assume instant internet access.

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER
Still using XP. I wish I were still a student, I would love Windows 7 but man these OSes get more expensive every time. And yet, they must be practically giving the licenses away to the big makers. XP for the forseeable future, I guess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RU 187 261 LIB posted:

these OSes get more expensive every time

No they don't. Vista/7 Home Premium is the same price as XP Home, Vista Business/7 Pro is the same price as XP Pro, Vista/7 Ultiamte is the same price as XP Pro + Plus! for XP.

If you add inflation, it's gotten cheaper.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So I just tried to get on the RC and I saw Microsoft has ended the download period. Is there still any way to get a download link legally or am I SOL until Oct. 22?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Wise Teen posted:

So I just tried to get on the RC and I saw Microsoft has ended the download period. Is there still any way to get a download link legally or am I SOL until Oct. 22?

I have RC ISO's directly downloaded from Microsoft to my webserver, and Microsoft hasn't told me to remove them yet:
64 bit: http://fishmech.net/7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso
32 bit: http://fishmech.net/7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

fishmech posted:

I have RC ISO's directly downloaded from Microsoft to my webserver, and Microsoft hasn't told me to remove them yet:
64 bit: http://fishmech.net/7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso
32 bit: http://fishmech.net/7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso

Thanks, you are a true hero.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Has anyone else here had any sort of audio problems, I just installed this last night and have been unable to get my speakers working.

First my speakers weren't detected at all and told me they were not even plugged in. I fixed this by just installing all of my mobo (EVGA 680i) drivers, and I thought the problem was gone. Well it wasn't and I looked around and according to the sound mixer, there was sound going to my speakers and everything should have been working.

Google came up mostly empty, but I found one spot where people had been using Realtek's newest drivers with success (R2.33, on the EVGA website it had the version number for their audio drivers listed as R2.32) so again I thought my problems were solved.

Well Windows is still telling me there's activity going to my speakers (yes they're turned on and the volume is up), but I still can't hear anything.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I used the search beta to look through this thread and I didn't catch anything that seemed like it would help.

tia

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
For those of you who are students, you might be eligible to get Windows 7 Home Premium for $30.00!

https://www.win741.com

I just saw this on twitter while following some dude that works at Cryptic and I jumped all over it. Check it out. It's better than being stuck with Vista!

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
I have the 7100 RC version of Windows 7 that I downloaded about a month ago. I'm planning to install it on a different partition from my existing XP install.

However, when I try to boot the DVD, the Windows logo shows up, it says loading files, the progress bar gets to the end, then it takes me to this wallpaper-looking screen with a drawing of a bird next to a branch and curvy laser things shooting across the screen. And then... nothing. No dialog boxes, nothing at all. It just leaves me sitting there staring at that wallpaper forever and doesn't do a thing.

What the hell? Anyone know what's going on here?

e: I just verified the MD5 of the ISO and it matches up with what I've found other users reporting online.

Shasta Orange Soda fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 17, 2009

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Cizzo posted:

For those of you who are students, you might be eligible to get Windows 7 Home Premium for $30.00!

I just saw this on twitter while following some dude that works at Cryptic and I jumped all over it. Check it out. It's better than being stuck with Vista!

Yeah, just saw the news today and I'm eligible for it. It seems like I should be fine going from Windows Vista Basic to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit for $30. I'm trying to figure out if there is a catch otherwise I'll preorder it this weekend, because that is a really good deal.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

I have the 7100 RC version of Windows 7 that I downloaded about a month ago. I'm planning to install it on a different partition from my existing XP install.

However, when I try to boot the DVD, the Windows logo shows up, it says loading files, the progress bar gets to the end, then it takes me to this wallpaper-looking screen with a drawing of a bird next to a branch and curvy laser things shooting across the screen. And then... nothing. No dialog boxes, nothing at all. It just leaves me sitting there staring at that wallpaper forever and doesn't do a thing.

What the hell? Anyone know what's going on here?

e: I just verified the MD5 of the ISO and it matches up with what I've found other users reporting online.

Just keep waiting. I'm not sure what it's doing at that point, but whatever it is takes forever. I thought the same thing you did and almost restarted my computer, but something distracted me for awhile and when I came back it had progressed.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I mentioned this in the other win7 thread, i have two of the pre-order pro versions coming to me. I'll not be needing them since I went MSDN. PM me if you want to take them off my hands. They'll hit SA MArt otherwise.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dominoes posted:

Finally got Technet subscription, going to be installing Ultimate 64bit RTM on the weekend.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Just keep waiting. I'm not sure what it's doing at that point, but whatever it is takes forever. I thought the same thing you did and almost restarted my computer, but something distracted me for awhile and when I came back it had progressed.

Ah, thank you. After 6 minutes of just sitting there with no drive activity and no CD activity and no progress indicators, it finally started.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

fishmech posted:

No they don't. Vista/7 Home Premium is the same price as XP Home, Vista Business/7 Pro is the same price as XP Pro, Vista/7 Ultiamte is the same price as XP Pro + Plus! for XP.

If you add inflation, it's gotten cheaper.

I don't know where to look it up, but as far as I know:

Windows 98: $200, $230-$250(?) with Plus!
Windows XP Home: $200, $230-$250(?) with Plus!
Windows Vista Home Basic: $200

Windows Vista Home Premium: $260. $10 more than Windows+Plus! (but includes Media Center, which was OEM-only before and so can't be priced exactly).

Windows 2000 Professional: $300
Windows XP Professional: $300, $350 w/ Plus!
Windows Vista Business: $300
Windows 7 Professional: $300

Vista Ultimate: $320 (cheaper than XP w/ Plus!). Although this *was* something insane before like $400. Microsoft has since dropped the price on it.

So yeah, the $200 price for the crippled "Home" versions and $300 price for the "Pro" versions seems pretty standard.

The only people that complain about the price are the ones that probably haven't purchased Windows before.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

You Am I posted:

Finally got Technet subscription, going to be installing Ultimate 64bit RTM on the weekend.

Technet is the best deal around if you have a lot of computers in a "non-production" environment. Surprising more people don't talk about it more.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lenins Potato posted:

Technet is the best deal around if you have a lot of computers in a "non-production" environment. Surprising more people don't talk about it more.

Yeah, assuming you're one person with a lot of computers.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 18, 2009

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Maneki Neko posted:

Or a beefy workstation, a virtual machine monitor, and too much time on your hands.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Sil posted:

Yeah, just saw the news today and I'm eligible for it. It seems like I should be fine going from Windows Vista Basic to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit for $30. I'm trying to figure out if there is a catch otherwise I'll preorder it this weekend, because that is a really good deal.

How did you manage the Pro version? I thought the offer was only for Home Premium or did I miss a checkbox somewhere?

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Once you get around 4-5 computers, its a good deal. Which isn't that much, kinda depends on your household.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Cizzo posted:

How did you manage the Pro version? I thought the offer was only for Home Premium or did I miss a checkbox somewhere?

On the screen where you select 32 or 64 bit systems, there is a big yellow bar below that with the question "Need to join your school's network domain? Click here". Opens a popup that lets you get Pro.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Sil posted:

On the screen where you select 32 or 64 bit systems, there is a big yellow bar below that with the question "Need to join your school's network domain? Click here". Opens a popup that lets you get Pro.

Sigh, for some reason I thought that had to do with schools...

Well I guess now I have two copies.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

Cizzo posted:

Wow. Chose the Pro version (since it comes with Media Center this time around!) for $29.99. Not a bad deal. Not at all.

Man-Eating Cow
Jan 18, 2001

by Fistgrrl
I'm pretty out of the loop on this so bear with me if I sound like some kind of noob:

I have Windows XP and hook my computer up to a monitor with a VGA cable. I watch a lot of HD video. I seem to remember hearing that Vista had some bullshit where it would downgrade video to 480p if transmitted over a non-DHCP interface...like VGA.

If I upgrade to Windows 7 Pro, will I still be able to watch HD video in Media Player Classic?

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Man-Eating Cow posted:

I'm pretty out of the loop on this so bear with me if I sound like some kind of noob:

I have Windows XP and hook my computer up to a monitor with a VGA cable. I watch a lot of HD video. I seem to remember hearing that Vista had some bullshit where it would downgrade video to 480p if transmitted over a non-DHCP interface...like VGA.

If I upgrade to Windows 7 Pro, will I still be able to watch HD video in Media Player Classic?

Pretty sure that only goes for HDCP-protected content like HDDVDs and blu-rays. If you have HD videos on your hard drive they'll play at the correct resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Well I upgraded to Pro x64 and of all the things to have a problem with it's not being able to use aero glass over remote desktop.

It was working previously on the RC so I don't really know what's up that it stopped working in the RTM when i can't find anything in google about it.

The only thing I can think of is that when I was on the RC it was the 32bit version.

Small annoyance, but I do spend an awful lot of time in remote desktop and glass actually worked quite nicely.