Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Corte posted:

For some reason my administrator account is not recognized as an administrator, I am becoming incredibly frustrated at not being able to change permissions on anything on the installed hdd and am honestly considering a wipe, partitional and reinstall but don't know if that will solve anything.

This may be a stupid question, but you do know that the security tab under properties only shows permissions and you have to click edit to change them, right? At least this is assuming it's like Vista, because I haven't had a chance to install Windows 7 yet.

redeyes posted:

Have you turned off UAC?
Why would he have done that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

redeyes posted:

Have you turned off UAC? Have you taken ownership of the folders?

I have turned off UAC and set several different owners for the drive proper but none worked.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Corte posted:

I have turned off UAC and set several different owners for the drive proper but none worked.

Ok after you take ownership, check the permissions. You obviously want your username to have full permissions for everything, but also check CREATOR OWNER, because sometimes it is set to have no permission which somehow trumps.

quote:

Why would he have done that?

because I knew it would piss someone off enough to post about it

(actually, to diagnose the problem)

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

redeyes posted:

Ok after you take ownership, check the permissions. You obviously want your username to have full permissions for everything, but also check CREATOR OWNER, because sometimes it is set to have no permission which somehow trumps.

I checked and I didn't even have CREATOR OWNER in the permissions, when I added it I couldn't set its permissions or even change some files since they were running such as:
c:\hiberfil.sys
c:\pagefile.sys

and some serials. I think I hosed with who was on the permissions when I first installed thinking I only needed my administrator/user

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Hmm I'd like to have the task bar at the right side of my screen and the start button at the bottom - isn't that possible out of the box?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

OK - so I formatted my hard drive and restarted using my Win 7 RC install cd. I was not able to figure out how to properly partition a drive to fit the OS so I just have devoted my primary hdd to the OS. I set my user account to have ownership of the c:\ drive excepting a few files it denied. I then set full control of permissions with the replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions for Administrators, SYSTEM, Users and Authenticated Users. I then attempted to uncheck the read-only option for the program files folder within but while it processed when I reopened properties for it the read-only option was checked again.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Corte posted:

OK - so I formatted my hard drive and restarted using my Win 7 RC install cd. I was not able to figure out how to properly partition a drive to fit the OS so I just have devoted my primary hdd to the OS. I set my user account to have ownership of the c:\ drive excepting a few files it denied. I then set full control of permissions with the replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions for Administrators, SYSTEM, Users and Authenticated Users. I then attempted to uncheck the read-only option for the program files folder within but while it processed when I reopened properties for it the read-only option was checked again.

I have no idea why this is so hard. For partitioning, you just hit next, the installer will do everything. After the install everything should be ready to go. If you really need admin access to everything, just turn off UAC right away, reboot and you should have correct permissions.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

redeyes posted:

I have no idea why this is so hard. For partitioning, you just hit next, the installer will do everything. After the install everything should be ready to go. If you really need admin access to everything, just turn off UAC right away, reboot and you should have correct permissions.

The options it gave me would have created partitions smaller than the recommended lowest settings for installing the OS. I have turned off UAC right away and I have the correct permissions but it will not allow me to complete the task. My current solution is just to install programs to my secondary hdd. Another possibility is my confusion between read-only folders and files since I have never used Vista.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Warthog posted:

Hmm I'd like to have the task bar at the right side of my screen and the start button at the bottom - isn't that possible out of the box?

Nope, it isn't, but it should be.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Warthog posted:

Is it swapping even though there's only about 2GB of ram in use?

Out of curiosity, what does "Verwendungsverlauf des physikalischen Speichers" mean in English?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Out of curiosity, what does "Verwendungsverlauf des physikalischen Speichers" mean in English?

direct web translate:

use process of the physical memory

English task manager says this:

Physical Memory Usage History

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
I just installed Win7 on my desktop. The new taskbar is taking some getting used to, and seems a little too large compared to what I'm used to with Vista, but I'm sure I'll be running into some oh-cool moments soon.

The only part that worries me is that right-clicking on files or folders will occasionally crash Explorer. This also happened in Vista, and only started once I put in the hard drive a few months ago, which together makes me wonder whether that issue runs deeper than I thought.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mein Eyes! posted:

I just installed Win7 on my desktop. The new taskbar is taking some getting used to, and seems a little too large compared to what I'm used to with Vista, but I'm sure I'll be running into some oh-cool moments soon.

It's small if you have a high resolution and use "Small" icons set through the properties. Unless you are doing that and it's still too big for your tastes.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008
Okay, I've been having a rather strange problem ever since I installed the RC.
Whenever I click All Programs, I just get a blank start menu.

The other reports of this say the problem is something to do with the number of items to the right, but that's had no effect.

Any ideas?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

nimper posted:

Nope, it isn't, but it should be.

How would it work? Would there be a whole shitload of wasted space at the bottom, or would the program somehow overlap the start button but still not get in the way?

It seems a bit silly to me, is all.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

All Too Much For Me posted:

The other reports of this say the problem is something to do with the number of items to the right, but that's had no effect.

Any ideas?

Is there anything in your start menu folders? Right-click All Programs and choose Open, do it again and choose Open All Users.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

All Too Much For Me posted:

Any ideas?

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to run into that here. It's supposedly related to the number of items in the All Programs folders. My roommate suffers from this bug, but I do not, even though I have 84 odd entries.

Take a look at this discussion on the Windows 7 forums http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/4354-program-icons-missing-all-programs-menu.html

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

How fast should this run compared to XP? I'm on a Q6600 with 2GB RAM and I'm finding it's slower than my XP (I'm dual booting). When I open folders and programmes and such I get more of a hang than I do XP. I'd pinned it down to it being an RC and not the final version, but was just wondering.

Also when I play Team Fortress 2 it keeps crashing, a box pops up saying it is trying to diagnose the problem, and then I have to quit the game. Again this may just be incompatability issues perhaps?

One other thing. Before I installed, I was running 32 bit XP on partition A, with partition B just being for files. I split partition B into two, giving me B and C. Tried to install Windows 7 (64 bit) on C, but something weird happened (I can't remember what, it was a few weeks ago) and I ended up with Windows 7 on partition C, but with an extra partition, D. I tried combining B and D together (using partition magic in XP) and then using the windows 7 manager, but it won't let me do it. I'm not sure if it's because I need certain permissions, or the fact that one partition was created using XP and the other with W7. Any ideas?

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

phosdex posted:

Is there anything in your start menu folders? Right-click All Programs and choose Open, do it again and choose Open All Users.

Yes, sorry completely forgot to mention that. It's all there in:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and the local one too.

I also removed one of those directories to see if that would do anything.
It didn't.

Edit:

kapinga posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to run into that here. It's supposedly related to the number of items in the All Programs folders. My roommate suffers from this bug, but I do not, even though I have 84 odd entries.

Take a look at this discussion on the Windows 7 forums http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/4354-program-icons-missing-all-programs-menu.html
Took a look at that thread, moved everything from both programs folders out into two folders and logged out then in. Moved them back and they're there. And yes, I upgraded from 7000 to 7100 which seems to be the cause. If this was the only bug then it was worth it.

Second Edit:
It fucks up on reboot and can fix itself. I've sort of hosed it up worse now. I've learnt my lesson and do a proper reinstall when it goes live on Ultimate Steal. (Which is basically Microsofts new, less legitimate sounding version of a student licence.)

All Too Much For Me fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 27, 2009

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Spekkio posted:

Has anyone tried an RDP session nested within another RDP?
It seems to lag the original PC's cursor behind.

The VPN software I use to remote into work doesn't run on 64-bit, so I use VMWare to run a 32-bit copy of Vista.

So, I RDP into the Vista VM, run the VPN software, then RDP to my PC at work that runs XP, (and then even occasionally from there I'll RDP into a server running 2000 or 2003). I've never had lagging cursor problems.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

DarthBlingBling posted:

I have the same drive I believe. I recently watched Terminator 2 on HD DVD on Windows 7 x64 using the Arcsoft player. However I am also using Slysoft's AnyDVD HD.

I also noted that I was able to watch the film on a cloned display (the film displayed on both displays), in the past this wasn't possible and only played on the monitor marked as the main display. Google led me to believe this was due to restrictions. Has this now changed or is it something Slysoft has recently got around?

This is actually an improvement that happened in Vista. The problem you likely were having before was due to Arcsoft player using overlay which is hardware limited to the primary monitor in XP. (there are cards can do it on secondary but they are rare) Secondary monitors either tried to display in software, or just refused to show it at all. however since the GUI is hardware accelerated in Vista/7 this largely eliminates the problem there as Overlay is depreciated unless something triggers aero and/or desktop composition to disable for compatibility or memory issues. This isn't to say that you won't have problems playing video on the secondary monitor ever, but it largely is a driver or hardware issue today than a windows limitation.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Ryokurin posted:

This is actually an improvement that happened in Vista. The problem you likely were having before was due to Arcsoft player using overlay which is hardware limited to the primary monitor in XP. (there are cards can do it on secondary but they are rare) Secondary monitors either tried to display in software, or just refused to show it at all. however since the GUI is hardware accelerated in Vista/7 this largely eliminates the problem there as Overlay is depreciated unless something triggers aero and/or desktop composition to disable for compatibility or memory issues. This isn't to say that you won't have problems playing video on the secondary monitor ever, but it largely is a driver or hardware issue today than a windows limitation.

I was just about to post that I had the same problem in Vista, but I just remembered that watching Blu Rays or HD DVDs in Vista disabled Aero. This no longer happens in Windows 7 (in fact I've yet to run into any software that disables Aero). So your reasoning sounds spot on.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm running x64 Windows 7 and java wasn't working for me in firefox. I found a fix for it that solved the problem, so if anyone else needs it here's what you do:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/2359-java-firefox-7-64bit-2.html#post24692

quote:

I believe I have the fix as I was also having problems.

1. Install Java from their download page.
2. After install reboot (not sure if it's necessary but I did anyway)
3. Go to Control Panel (expanded view) and you'll see a Java (32bit) icon.
4. Click on Icon and Java Control Panel will open.
5. Click Advanced Tab
6. Click + sign For Java Plug-in
7. Uncheck Box that says Enable Next Generation plug in.
8. Close your browser (if it was open). I think I rebooted here, too..probably not necessary.
9. Go to the Java Test Page and click the version link at top of page.
10. You should see a pink box (I did) with version you have installed.

I also found this blog that shows why Java might not be working on x64 Vista and how to fix it....I am certain it applies for x64 Windows 7 as well.
The reboots weren't necessary.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there some way to make the taskbar preview for Internet Explorer show windows instead of tabs? Previews of all tabs clutters things when I'm trying to choose between windows.

I'm using IE problem because Firefox 3.5 doesn't support a lot of the extensions I use, specifically mouse gestures.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 27, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Hamelin posted:

I'm running x64 Windows 7 and java wasn't working for me in firefox. I found a fix for it that solved the problem, so if anyone else needs it here's what you do:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/2359-java-firefox-7-64bit-2.html#post24692
The reboots weren't necessary.

This is typically more an issue with specific java apps. The Java engine, once invoked by the browser, stayed loaded and in memory with the browser until the parent process is closed. The Next Generation Plug-in that was released a few months back is basically a more intelligent version that will load and unload the JRE depending on if the browser is actually using it or not. Some Java applets really don't like this behavior some reason and will just hang while loading (I know the Dell Openmanage client is one of them).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Well, it wasn't working for anything for me before, not even the java tester on the java website. It does now.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Hamelin posted:

Well, it wasn't working for anything for me before, not even the java tester on the java website. It does now.

I understand. I'm just saying that is more an overarching issue with the new JRE that goes beyond just Windows 7, in case someone else stumbled upon this.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
If I recall correctly, the 'next-generation' plugin, while it will work with Firefox 3, is actually optimized for 3.1 which was supposed to be done when the last version of Java was finished. We all know what happened there however. I do know another thing to look for is the quick starter, which isn't supposed to enable in Vista as it can conflict with windows prefetch.

Anyhow, if you don't mind betas you can try SE 6 update 14 here. Its slated for release some time in the 2nd quarter. https://jdk6.dev.java.net/6uNea.html#DOWNLOAD

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I've read the past few pages and seen nothing so I thought I'd see if any of you have encountered this. I'm using XP Mode for a few applications - it's been working fine for the past couple of weeks, but now when I try to boot Virtual Windows XP, it tells me that it couldn't enable the integration features. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling XP, as well as turning off and then turning back on Virtual PC.

Otherwise the OS has been stellar. We're excited to finally get off of XP at work. :suicide:

edit: I tried disabling integration features on boot, and I obviously don't get the message anymore, but when I boot it just gives me a black screen. This happened previously when I clicked "Continue" out of the integration features error box, too.

edit 2: Well nevermind. I guess the VM was always hibernating when I closed it rather than shutting down. It just needed a proper reboot :doh:

torb main fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 27, 2009

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Nam Taf posted:

How would it work? Would there be a whole shitload of wasted space at the bottom, or would the program somehow overlap the start button but still not get in the way?

It seems a bit silly to me, is all.

Haha what. I think he's talking about taskbar on the right, start button at the bottom right instead of top right. You are thinking taskbar on the right, start button in lower left?

Got KarmA?
Sep 11, 2001

Life is a game. Have fun losing!
Just got this in the mail from Microsoft.

Special Beta Edition -- Correction

Because you signed up to test the Windows 7 Beta, we recently sent you mail about the expiration dates for the Beta and Release Candidate. Unfortunately, we made a mistake.

We said the Beta would start shutting down every two hours on June 1, 2009. The correct date is July 1, 2009.

The rest of the dates in the mail were correct. Here’s a quick summary:
Version: Starts shutting down every two hours: Expires:
Beta July 1, 2009 August 1, 2009
Release Candidate March 1, 2010 June 1, 2010

We apologize for the error and any confusion it may have caused.

Thanks again for helping us test Windows 7.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Hamelin posted:

I had this problem as well with java not working in firefox. I didn't know about that fix so I just moved over any netscape related plugins from the java /bin/ folder over to firefox/plugins/ and that seemed to have also fixed it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Anyone having trouble with bluescreens during network/internet access?

Install your NIC drivers. My Attansic L1 bluescreened the system with whatever default driver W7 used. After installing the drivers it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

beejay posted:

Haha what. I think he's talking about taskbar on the right, start button at the bottom right instead of top right. You are thinking taskbar on the right, start button in lower left?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about - I'm using a widescreen monitor, vertical stuff is more economic than horizontal but I like the start button at the bottom left:

Click here for the full 222x1047 image (and excuse the crappy gimp-shop).

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Drogadon posted:

Anyone having trouble with bluescreens during network/internet access?

Install your NIC drivers. My Attansic L1 bluescreened the system with whatever default driver W7 used. After installing the drivers it has worked flawlessly ever since.

I don't believe NICs in Windows 7 run as kernel drivers, so a full blue screen doesn't make much sense in that situation. Odds are there was some kind of conflict between the NIC driver and your AV software or something else that loads a kernel driver.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I don't believe NICs in Windows 7 run as kernel drivers, so a full blue screen doesn't make much sense in that situation. Odds are there was some kind of conflict between the NIC driver and your AV software or something else that loads a kernel driver.

No idea about the reasons, but the bluescreen happened on a clean install, before installing anything else.

The first thing I do when I install windows is download firefox or chrome, when doing that I got the bluescreen.

Installed the NIC drivers from the manufacturer and never got the problem again.

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.
edit: I am dumb

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...
Has anyone been using Ableton Live 7 with Windows 7?

Also, has anyone been using Line 6's "PodFarm" VST plugin, or the "Studio GX" hardware device?

I keep thinking about moving to Windows 7. However, I just bought a Studio GX and Ableton Live 7, and can't do without it...

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

Iblys posted:

Also, has anyone been using Line 6's "PodFarm" VST plugin, or the "Studio GX" hardware device?

I keep thinking about moving to Windows 7. However, I just bought a Studio GX and Ableton Live 7, and can't do without it...

I use Ableton 8 in 7 and it is pretty much entirely stable. I would imagine that 7 would be equally as stable if not more so. I've had one crash and that was probably related to plugins and not Ableton. I don't use a ton of VSTs but the 5-6 that I do use all work pretty well. I haven't had any major issues with them.

Drivers or your hardware might be sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Iblys posted:

Live 7 works just fine as far as i can tell, although i haven't really installed any VST plugins yet, but i imagine if they work in Vista they should work under Win7 just fine.