Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahahahahahha

EDIT: Does ninite let you choose what drive or folders it installs everything to? I keep Windows+drivers on a seperate partition from apps
No, it installs to the default directory that application uses.
Edit: More information on Internet TV, it won't show up until media center updates itself.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/get-started/internet-tv.aspx

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

How legit are those $30-$60 Windows 7 ultimate keys on Ebay? Are they just extras from some corporate pack or are they straight-up fake?

All of the sellers have positive ratings but I haven't kept up on Ebay scamming enough to know if that is legit either.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Only downside so far: They changed the menu options in WMP, which means the options to set up video streaming to my Xbox isn't where I expected them to be. Instead of being buried in a menu they are right out in the open in the Library screen. Took me longer to find them because I was thinking they were still out of the way. I'm glad to see they made them easier to find, at least for someone who hasn't used it before and didn't know where it was last time.

Using the Italy theme and tossed in some of my pictures from my trip. Really like how they added rotating desktop background too. The less extra programs I need the better.

And this Internet TV is really neat. I had to restart WMC a few times for it to prompt me to add the gadget though.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Well you can try turning USB Legacy off then

But yeah it sounds like your keyboard is messed up

Or it could be a certain port.
I know that front panel USBs sometimes don't get counted.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

leo_r posted:

Has anyone downloaded W7 off MSDNAA? What was your experience like?

It downloads a compressed file and then it unpacks into an ISO automatically for you.

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Is it possible to change the icons of games in the Games folder?
I never figured out how to do it in Vista or if you could even do it at all.
It is annoying to have every Steam game have the Steam icon.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Krieger von Rosen posted:

Is it possible to change the icons of games in the Games folder?
I never figured out how to do it in Vista or if you could even do it at all.
It is annoying to have every Steam game have the Steam icon.

If you setup a shortcut with the correct icon it should be fine when you drag it in.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
If anyone wants to turn the Digital River .box crap into an ISO here you go:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

That's not the point, the point is it should be there and I'd like to know why it isn't.

Did you ever figure it out? I didn't have it either until i clicked this linl.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/launch-wmc.aspx?lcd=611

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

WebDog posted:

If you setup a shortcut with the correct icon it should be fine when you drag it in.

:pcgaming:

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahahahahahha

EDIT: Does ninite let you choose what drive or folders it installs everything to? I keep Windows+drivers on a seperate partition from apps

Ok, I fixed my problems with the Audigy 2, and the X-series can be solved the same way -- use the Daniel_K drivers.

I used his SB Support Pack 2.5

Also set the playback quality to Studio Quality

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Ok I stand corrected.

I've been able to drag in any old icon from Zdoom to Calculator and assumed that Steam games worked that way.

Seems Games Explorer picks the icon from the source application and given a steam shortcut is pretty much steam.exe - startgame ### it doesn't really apply.

I guess if you made a batch file that replicated that action it could work.

damaca
Feb 7, 2009
Anyone having trouble with DigitalRiver billing? I was able to purchase a copy of WIndows 7 yesterday no issues, but when I try and pay for a mates copy with the same credit card, it gets right near the end of the purchase and reverts all the way back to the billing screen.

It suggests the billing department has closed down without telling anyone. Surely I can use the same credit card on separate transactions?

Notes: used different computers, browsers and internet connections all with the same result.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

SiLk-2k5 posted:

If anyone wants to turn the Digital River .box crap into an ISO here you go:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/

This looks nice, but I don't have etfsboot.com in \expandedSetup, just Win7Setup.wim

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Moktaro posted:

This looks nice, but I don't have etfsboot.com in \expandedSetup, just Win7Setup.wim

Check the \boot folder.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

SiLk-2k5 posted:

Check the \boot folder.

No \boot folder either. :iiam:

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Moktaro posted:

No \boot folder either. :iiam:

Home Premium?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So, this may have been addressed but every time I try to catch up in the thread it's gotten bigger by about 200 posts.

I was wondering if anyone had run across an add on similar to gmail notifier plus, that allows me to minimize my iTunes window to the task bar and give me basic controls when I mouse over the icon, play, pause, etc. If it isn't out I'm sure it will be.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

SiLk-2k5 posted:

Home Premium?

Yep, the download from 741.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:siren: Did you download from DigitalRiver? If so, do you want to create a bootable .ISO? :siren:

1. Copy your expandedSetup folder to your desktop
2. Download this and extract it into your Windows\system32 directory.
3. If you are in Win7/Vista, open an elevated command prompt then type:
code:
oscdimg -bC:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso
:siren: ^^ DO NOT PUT A SPACE IN BETWEEN -b AND C:\:siren:
code:
C:\Windows\system32>oscdimg -bC:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.
com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso

OSCDIMG 2.54 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility
Copyright (C) Microsoft, 1993-2007. All rights reserved.
Licensed only for producing Microsoft authorized content.

Scanning source tree (500 files in 46 directories)
Scanning source tree complete (874 files in 200 directories)
Computing directory information complete
Image file is 3242131456 bytes
Writing 874 files in 200 directories to C:\7.iso
100% complete
Final image file is 3244328960 bytes
Done.
C:\Windows\system32>
4. Burn your ISO and enjoy.

The original source on this was http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/30470-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l.html
There was a mistake or two in the OP, so I fixed them using the information in that thread. I'm burning the ISO now and am about to install this bitch.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 24, 2009

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 5, 2023

revolther
May 27, 2008

You could just make shortcuts to the actual game executables and drag them to the Games Explorer. I don't use Steam often but I imagine the online focused ones will launch Steam on their own to ensure multiplayer.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

OK, one other problem appears to be that it downloaded into D:/Documents and Settings\blah (d: is my Windows partition, don't ask)

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

crumshot posted:

:siren: Did you download from DigitalRiver? If so, do you want to create a bootable .ISO? :siren:

Just a quick post to say that I had trouble with this method until I realised that the lowercase 'L' in the font the code box uses looks like a 1, so I was typing -1WIN_EN_DVD instead of lWIN_EN_DVD. When I changed the 1 to a lowercase L, it worked just fine.

Tufty fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 24, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So is there a non-retarded way that doesn't involve symbolic links to add a network share to a library? I keep all my music, docs, pics, etc on a NAS and it's retarded that W7 won't index it.

When I was running the RC, I had to create folders on C:\ for docs, music etc, point my libraries to those, delete the folders and replace them with symbolic links to my network share. loving pain in the dick. There's gotta be a better way, right?

edit: No "make this available offline," please.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 24, 2009

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Yaos posted:

I've had my first crash I think. The screen went black while I was using the computer, I hit the power button on my system and then tried the reset button a few times and then the computer shut down. I played the whole way through Crysis Warhead under Vista on the same hardware. :argh:

I'm guessing Ati card? Probably even in the 48XX series?

I have an issue - probably a driver problem - with my 4870 running the fan at a too slow speed; if I force it to 100%, no crash; default settings, Tales of Monkey Island crashes after about 10 minutes, and that's hardly the most advanced 3D game. :( Looking at replacing the Ati card with a cheaper nVidia card now (I don't care if it's slower).

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

damaca posted:

Anyone having trouble with DigitalRiver billing? I was able to purchase a copy of WIndows 7 yesterday no issues, but when I try and pay for a mates copy with the same credit card, it gets right near the end of the purchase and reverts all the way back to the billing screen.

It suggests the billing department has closed down without telling anyone. Surely I can use the same credit card on separate transactions?

Notes: used different computers, browsers and internet connections all with the same result.

If you're doing the student discount through digitalriver then you need a different email and billing address for each purchase.

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
So I burned an ISO of the 64 bit RTM to use on my new PC but it gives me an error saying "Cannot Boot from CD: Code 5"

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I ordered a physical copy of Win7 Pro from Digital River, but have not received an email saying my order has shipped. Has anyone? Is DR delayed as hell too?

damaca
Feb 7, 2009

Rahu posted:

If you're doing the student discount through digitalriver then you need a different email and billing address for each purchase.

Thanks, I knew it had to be something simple like that.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

I ordered a physical copy of Win7 Pro from Digital River, but have not received an email saying my order has shipped. Has anyone? Is DR delayed as hell too?

I received mine on the 24th at 6:30 CDT. Earlier in the thread someone said the e-mails for shipping were delayed, so I don't know if that means they shipped them on the 22nd and couldn't get the e-mails out until now, or if they shipped it today.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Capnbigboobies posted:

Just to update about my order through MS, I recently got this email.

A buddy of mine and a fellow goon that PM'ed me, have not got their confirmation emails yet. Looks like they are lagging right now.

Still haven't gotten my confirmation e-mail. I'm going to call them when they open (12et). The guy on the other end sounded like a new guy. Might've gotten my email address wrong.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Just to be sure I'm not missing a step, are you guys letting the Digital River download unpack the files before doing the .iso thing?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Every time I turn on my computer Microsoft Security Essentials pops its window up, is there a way to make it start minimized?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We need a new thread with a faq.

General Adventure
Feb 16, 2007
I've been trying to install Windows 7 and im running into a problem

(it should be noted that I'm completely pathetic at computers, so any lingo will go flying over my head)

After running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, which showed that I am completely fine to install from my 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium to a 64-bit Windows 7. The only exception was that I needed to do a custom installation. So after moving my important files to an external hard drive I hit the "run" button after downloading Windows 7. It started to run and it checked these desktop files known as "setup1.box" and also "setup2.box"

Then an error message appears with the headline "Unloading the Box" and it read

We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only.

I changed a number of folders to be not read-only and also increased their security permissions in their properties to allow the "write" option. It still isn't working, I feel like im missing something obvious and any help will be GREATLY appreciated

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Installed yesterday (clean install, from xp 32 to 7 pro 64). I changed it so I dn't have to enter my password when I login - and my account was Administrator before - but now for some reason I'm showing as a guest account. I can't figure out how to switch it back so I have to enter my password - I did "switch user" and entered my password but my account is still showing as a Guest Account. I can't activate the built-in Administrator account b/c I don't have privileges. When I try to do stuff (like install a program or access certain things) it tells me "enter an administrator password" but there's no field to put in the pw I had before.

What's going on?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

General Adventure posted:

I've been trying to install Windows 7 and im running into a problem

(it should be noted that I'm completely pathetic at computers, so any lingo will go flying over my head)

After running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, which showed that I am completely fine to install from my 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium to a 64-bit Windows 7. The only exception was that I needed to do a custom installation. So after moving my important files to an external hard drive I hit the "run" button after downloading Windows 7. It started to run and it checked these desktop files known as "setup1.box" and also "setup2.box"

Then an error message appears with the headline "Unloading the Box" and it read

We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only.

I changed a number of folders to be not read-only and also increased their security permissions in their properties to allow the "write" option. It still isn't working, I feel like im missing something obvious and any help will be GREATLY appreciated

Move the box files and the run file to your desktop

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My Win7 upgrade came today. I submitted one upgrade request, but I got two DVD's in the mail. Two separate packages, each with a DVD and a product code of its own. Did Microsoft gently caress up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Codiusprime posted:

So, this may have been addressed but every time I try to catch up in the thread it's gotten bigger by about 200 posts.

I was wondering if anyone had run across an add on similar to gmail notifier plus, that allows me to minimize my iTunes window to the task bar and give me basic controls when I mouse over the icon, play, pause, etc. If it isn't out I'm sure it will be.

iTunes does that out of the box on Windows 7 though, try hovering over the icon in the taskbar.

I also find it hard to believe that you guys trying to use that crappy Digital River download can't just get an ISO of 7 from somewhere. I realize they dropped the ball on that but the media for Windows 7 has to be one of the mostly highly available things on the web right now, I don't think you can spit on google search without hitting a download link (analogy fail)

jmu fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 24, 2009