Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

what do you guys have against ifranview?

it can view anything picture wise, has decent batch conversion tools and best of all, it stays out of your way. and it's fast coz it's simple as gently caress

I just didn't like it. Got too used to the way ACDSee works, and I prefer it. I tried Irfanview and although it's plenty fast, I found it a bit clunky.

Not trying to get into a debate here, you like it and a lot of others do, too. I recognize that Irfanview is good quality software, it's just not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

So is this "ACDSee Photo Manager 2009"?

Yep, I downloaded/installed the Photo Manager 2009 trial.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Leviathan posted:

What's the best way to share media to a 360 from windows 7?

You can stream straight to the dashboard with WMP12, Zune software and 3rd party stuff like TVersity and The Orb. I've been using the Media Center extender for music, because the music interface is way better than the dashboard.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed

Fun Shoe

Xenomorph posted:

I've heard some people say the Anytime Upgrade just unlocks/installs components.

I thought it was supposed to work that way, but when I dropped the money for a Vista Anytime Upgrade (Business to Ultimate), my experience was nothing like that.

Yeah that's one of the improvements over Vista. With 7, the entire suite of OS is installed; the key you purchase as the Anytime upgrade simply unlocks the features.

turbodog
Aug 4, 2009

johndoe7776059 posted:

Does anybody know of a Windows 7 compatible replacment for Startup Monitor? I know Spybot SD has one, but it doesn't seem to work very well. About half the time something gets added to startup it doesn't catch it.

I admit I haven't tried the monitor myself, but did you run it as administrator? His Startup Control Panel app worked for me that way in Win 7, but not as a regular user.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

FAILS AT EVERYTHING posted:

Okay got a question...

Just installed the retail version from an old version of the RC (did a completely clean install), and my permissions on my external hdd are all messed up, some folders are saying I don't have access to them and won't let me modify them in any way, is there an easy way to fix this for the entire drive?

Right click the drive, go to security tab, click ADVANCED, go to Owner tab, click Edit, and change owner to the Administrators group or your account. Make sure Replace owner on subcontainers and objects is enabled. Hit OK. This will take a while.

When that finishes you need to run the TAKEOWN command in an elevated command prompt. Simplest way to start that is to start command prompt normally, then right click the little icon thing on the taskbar, and right click the command prompt text in there. Then, you click Run as Administrator in that. Change to the drive letter of the external drive inside the command prompt.

You'll then need to do this command:
code:
TAKEOWN /F * /R /D Y
After this, you'll have ownership of all the drive, so no more permissions problems.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

DarkPrime posted:

It works just fine for me. Are you using wireless or wired?
Wired, it was fine under WinXP, but it's a bit sluggish with Windows 7 for some reason.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I highly recommend this program, the Jumplist Launcher. I suggest adding it to the OP. It allows you to create customizable taskbar-pinned menus using the built-in Windows 7 jumplist functionality. It's the answer to my question posted earlier about having a pinned games menu. It's a single executable.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 29, 2009

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Did iTunes always have a jumplist, or did that update that added appletv 3 support and broke pre syncing that came out today add it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dogen posted:

Did iTunes always have a jumplist, or did that update that added appletv 3 support and broke pre syncing that came out today add it?

It's had a jumplist since 9 came out, I think.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

well i'm glad to say that I finally spent money on a Microsoft product besides hardware (my keyboard)...

i'm happy to give my money to Microsoft for Windows 7; it's so loving much better than Vista. they deserved it. their best product since WinXP or Win 98 easily.

-edit-
My sister bought a Toshiba laptop for school work at the end of September (I dunno the exact date, but definitely after July 26th) that came with Vista Home Premium; this should be included in the "Express Upgrade" deal that Microsoft has with manufacturers correct?
Is there a product listing that I could check to make sure before I hassle her for model numbers/serial numbers/proof-of-purchase/etc?

chomper fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 29, 2009

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

How do upgrade discs actually work? Does it just simply see what I have installed and then proceed to do a clean install?

I'm dreading having to find my XP discs, install XP, then install 7. I'm on RC right now

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Rent posted:

How do upgrade discs actually work? Does it just simply see what I have installed and then proceed to do a clean install?

I'm dreading having to find my XP discs, install XP, then install 7. I'm on RC right now
You have to install a previous OS before you can use the upgrade version. There are ways around it but that means you are breaking the EULA.

DeathFlame
Dec 31, 2007

Erwin posted:

Not sure if it works in 7 but in XP if a user was set to automatically log in, holding shift while clicking log out got you to a login screen. It sounds like you have greater problems and that might not help you, but it's all I got.

That would get me to the log in screen, but I still couldn't log in as admin. Bit the bullet and reinstalled, wasn't a huge hassle as it was only a couple hours of time on a fresh install yesterday.

Captain Libido
Jun 17, 2003

chomper posted:

My sister bought a Toshiba laptop for school work at the end of September (I dunno the exact date, but definitely after July 26th) that came with Vista Home Premium; this should be included in the "Express Upgrade" deal that Microsoft has with manufacturers correct?
Is there a product listing that I could check to make sure before I hassle her for model numbers/serial numbers/proof-of-purchase/etc?

There is no product list, you're eligible based on when you purchased it, so it pretty much boils down to the stuff you need to hassle her about.

http://laptops.toshiba.com/windows7upgrade-learnmore

coldsnap
Jun 28, 2004

Rent posted:

If you have RC 7100 and it has been activated, then you can upgrade to Windows 7 over that. No need to mess with XP. It will do a clean install.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Crackbone posted:

Why do you need to turn it off? Just mark it hidden.

Because if you click the "X" button on steam it closes the taskbar icon but minimizes to tray.

Factor Mystic
Mar 19, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Turd Nelson posted:

Why can't I see my system rating?

Clicking on the "rate this computer" icon does nothing.

What services have you disabled or what tweaks have you applied

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I built a new machine a couple of months ago, got Vista Home Premium 64bit and it came with a free Win 7 Home Premium upgrade. I'm a retard and didn't pay attention to it before though, and now it seems like the only way to get my upgrade is to order it from Microsoft and wait 6-8 weeks for them to mail it to me. I just assumed I'd be able to download my upgrade when 7 came out. Is there anyway I can download an iso from the OP and use the upgrade key I have?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

nrr posted:

I built a new machine a couple of months ago, got Vista Home Premium 64bit and it came with a free Win 7 Home Premium upgrade. I'm a retard and didn't pay attention to it before though, and now it seems like the only way to get my upgrade is to order it from Microsoft and wait 6-8 weeks for them to mail it to me. I just assumed I'd be able to download my upgrade when 7 came out. Is there anyway I can download an iso from the OP and use the upgrade key I have?

If you actually have your upgrade key to hand then knock yourself out and download the ISO.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

If you actually have your upgrade key to hand then knock yourself out and download the ISO.

Thanks man. The way they worded it it kind of seemed like the upgrade key + proof of purchase would get me a valid key (via mail,) and the upgrade key was only good for that purpose. That's good news then.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

nrr posted:

Thanks man. The way they worded it it kind of seemed like the upgrade key + proof of purchase would get me a valid key (via mail,) and the upgrade key was only good for that purpose. That's good news then.

I'm assuming that you actually have an upgrade key for Windows 7 and not just your Vista key?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

O'riginal posted:

I just didn't like it. Got too used to the way ACDSee works, and I prefer it. I tried Irfanview and although it's plenty fast, I found it a bit clunky.

Not trying to get into a debate here, you like it and a lot of others do, too. I recognize that Irfanview is good quality software, it's just not for me.

It's always annoyed me how Irfanview doesn't support Unicode filenames. I guess there's a hacky plugin to do it now, but come on it's been more than 10 years since a Windows that natively supports unicode came out, it is way past time to get with the program.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

I'm assuming that you actually have an upgrade key for Windows 7 and not just your Vista key?

Yeah it came with a seperate Win 7 Upgrade option insert with it's own key.

But... uhhh, where can I find those images? I'm on Technet and all I can find is a 90 day trial of Enterprise.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

nrr posted:

Yeah it came with a seperate Win 7 Upgrade option insert with it's own key.

But... uhhh, where can I find those images? I'm on Technet and all I can find is a 90 day trial of Enterprise.

If it's in the format xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx then I think it'll be safe to assume it's a working upgrade key.

You can download the ISO from Microsoft here (it's a public link given by Gizmondo, Digital River are supposed to give this link out to those have problems with the .exe installer). Also has a guide on making a bootable DVD or Flash drive. Unfortunately I don't know if this ISO is 32 or 64 bit, I think it's 64bit.

Alternatively download from a torrent site, making sure to check the hashes. Unless you're wanting to install Ultimate, you'll need to delete some file in the sources folder to make the ballot screen pop up during installation offering different variants of Windows. I think this is in the OP?

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 30, 2009

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks man, yeah those install option details are in the OP. My key is XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX But gonna give it a shot anyway cos it sure beats the hell out of waiting 6-8 weeks.

Thanks again for all your help DarthBlingBling.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IF I JUST LICK ENOUGH BOOT LEATHER, BIG DADDY TRUMP WILL SURELY LOVE ME

Dominoes posted:

I highly recommend this program, the Jumplist Launcher. I suggest adding it to the OP. It allows you to create customizable taskbar-pinned menus using the built-in Windows 7 jumplist functionality. It's the answer to my question posted earlier about having a pinned games menu. It's a single executable.
wow. Awesome.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

nrr posted:

Thanks man, yeah those install option details are in the OP. My key is XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX But gonna give it a shot anyway cos it sure beats the hell out of waiting 6-8 weeks.

Thanks again for all your help DarthBlingBling.

Don't think that is a valid key I'm afraid. But you can go unactivated for up to 120 days, so you'll have plenty of time to get your real key.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Dominoes posted:

edit: The developer has somewhat fixed my issues with said software. It's still a bit of a turd though. It would be nice if we could just add jumplists to shortcuts like meta data or something.

revolther fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 30, 2009

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

You can download the ISO from Microsoft here (it's a public link given by Gizmondo, Digital River are supposed to give this link out to those have problems with the .exe installer).

hmmm when I try and download that iso, it says it's 3.00Gb and then it downloads in a couple of minutes and tells me it's only 6 meg. Any ideas?

e: it's 16 meg not 6. Starts off saying the download is 3G and then at 16megs it stops and tells me it's completed, which it obviously hasn't.

nrr fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 30, 2009

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm moving from Vista to 7 and I want to do a clean install (to get rid of any bloat I might have accumulated over the past year). What's the best way to make sure I re-install all of the programs I currently have? Should I just copy down a list of my programs from the add/remove program list?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

I'm moving from Vista to 7 and I want to do a clean install (to get rid of any bloat I might have accumulated over the past year). What's the best way to make sure I re-install all of the programs I currently have? Should I just copy down a list of my programs from the add/remove program list?
Yep, or just them down in notepad.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

DorianGravy posted:

The "bloat" is all the programs you installed!!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

madprocess posted:

The "bloat" is all the programs you installed!!

Haha, but you know what I mean - the programs I no longer want and any potential spyware I might have.

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

turbodog posted:

I admit I haven't tried the monitor myself, but did you run it as administrator? His Startup Control Panel app worked for me that way in Win 7, but not as a regular user.

Thanks, can't believe I didn't think to try that myself.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

nrr posted:

hmmm when I try and download that iso, it says it's 3.00Gb and then it downloads in a couple of minutes and tells me it's only 6 meg. Any ideas?

e: it's 16 meg not 6. Starts off saying the download is 3G and then at 16megs it stops and tells me it's completed, which it obviously hasn't.

loving great, I just got it up to 1.8G and it died again

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Well this is a goofy problem I've encountered. If I leave my computer alone for a few hours and return it is in a psuedo locked up state. I can move the mouse around but nothing actually works. The autohidden taskbar won't come down or alt+ctrl+del won't pop up the relevant screens. This didn't occur during the Beta so I have no idea what the hell is going on.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

I've got a 4850, and just installed Windows 7. Do i need to install the ATI drivers off of the disk, or do I just go with the drivers that it installed for me?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

For video, you're better with the official drivers, but get them from the website, as chances are the disk had an old version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathFlame
Dec 31, 2007

Windows Update installed the new ATI drivers automatically for me after install. A little flicker (no restart) and voila, latest drivers.