Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Well do you have a DVD-burner?

I don't see how Windows 7 can be your saviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Varicelli posted:

I have around 500gb of data, mostly important. I also have 50gb of Steam games and don't want to download those again. The fault is seperate.

:S

Doesn't Windows 7 put all your old stuff in a folder if you do an upgrade installation?

Or, depending on if your hard drive has partitions and your data is separate from the Windows installation, can't you just format your Windows drive and install Windows 7 without touching the data partitions?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Here's a little thing that's been bugging me. I downloaded a few mp3 albums from Amazon, and sometimes Windows shows a thumbnail of the album art in the folder icon and sometimes it doesn't. What can I do to make Windows display the album art in all of them? Some possibly useful information: I'm using a "artist/album/track.mp3" folder setup. So far it always displays the album art for the album folder, but only sometimes for the artist folder. Amazon only downloads MP3s with embedded album art, no cover.jpgs or anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Is it possible to disable TV recording in windows media center?
I can't seem to be able to do it.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Eddain posted:

Doesn't Windows 7 put all your old stuff in a folder if you do an upgrade installation?

This. Plus, if you drag all of your Steam game data to the correct folder on the new installation, Steam, upon starting and receiving the command to begin installing games, will detect that most of the game data is already in the proper place and only download updates and make the necessary registry entries or whatever. You won't have to download that 50 gigs again as long as you keep the data somewhere.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

raezr posted:

I think it shows the generic folders when there's no pic in the main folder?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Is it possible to disable TV recording in windows media center?
I can't seem to be able to do it.

I've never found a way. The recording completely kills performance on older system.

I would just look for a different program to do whatever it is you're trying to do (I use ChrisTV for NTSC and Easy HDTV for ATSC).

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Varicelli posted:

It has huge amounts of stuff I would hate to lose and its pretty impossible for me to backup the like 500gb of poo poo I can't/don't want to lose.

How important is this stuff? Not important enough to backup? Good luck with that...

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 14, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

I will decide who posts John Howard pictures in this thread and the circumstances in which they post.

Varicelli posted:

I have around 500gb of data, mostly important. I also have 50gb of Steam games and don't want to download those again. The fault is seperate.

:S
As others have said, buy another HDD for Win 7. That's what I did. And if you are worried about your Steam games, you know there are Australian Steam Mirrors which most ISP wont charge you to use?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

I think it shows the generic folders when there's no pic in the main folder?
There's no pic in the Grateful Dead folder though, unless Windows created one itself as a hidden file. I haven't done anything to the folders other than put mp3s in them. For clarification: both folders in that screenshot were completely created and managed by Amazon's downloader. Obviously something caused Windows to make a thumbnail for one but not the other, and I want to figure out what.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 13, 2010

KS
Jun 10, 2003

Outrageous Lumpwad

You can embed album art in MP3 files too, might want to use an id3 program to check and see if the Grateful Dead files have embedded art.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

KS posted:

You can embed album art in MP3 files too, might want to use an id3 program to check and see if the Grateful Dead files have embedded art.
All of the mp3s came with embedded album art (Windows even thumbnails it for the individual files, too). For my Grizzly Bear folder it will show the album thumbnail for the album folder, but not the artist folder. (I'm using "artist\album\track.mp3" organization) For the Grateful Dead it shows the album thumbnail for both folders, and I want to know why and how to make it do that for all folders too.

Eifert Posting
Mar 31, 2007

Sweet, pointless victory.

Grimey Drawer

(rage) So I've got a 7 boot disk and a vista boot disk, two potential hard drives that I've used, and my computer is set to boot (fury) from my dvd drive. On both hard drives the 7 cd either tells me the files are corrupted or crashes around step 5 of installation. With the Vista disk it blue screens (malcontent) around stage two, when it's expanding the files. I've tried repairing with both disks but no dice. The blue screen messages appear almost randomized (hate). At this point I have no (angst) clue what's going on and have to assume it's a problem with hardware.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Muldoon

Yeah we can't help you without system specs.

Edit: Are you loading your motherboard's SATA drivers? This is a textbook SATA driver issue.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 14, 2010

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

I had to do a clean install of windows 7 using an OEM disk and their customer service is telling me I need to pay 60 dollars for them to activate it again. Does this seem? Everytime I do a clean install of windows on an OEM disk I need to pay them a 60 dollar tech support fee to reactivate the key?

WayneCampbell fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 14, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Muldoon

Is it the same system or a different one than it was first activated on?

If it's the same, no you shouldn't have to pay.

Eifert Posting
Mar 31, 2007

Sweet, pointless victory.

Grimey Drawer

strwrsxprt posted:

Yeah we can't help you without system specs.

Edit: Are you loading your motherboard's SATA drivers? This is a textbook SATA driver issue.

What would that entail? I've tried using the motherboard's express recovery disk to no effect. My motherboard's a Gigabyte ga-ep45c-ud3r.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

strwrsxprt posted:

Is it the same system or a different one than it was first activated on?

If it's the same, no you shouldn't have to pay.

Same exact system. Same hard drive even.

Should I just keep harassing customer support until I get someone who isn't a prick?

edit: Nevermind, did exactly that.

WayneCampbell fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 14, 2010

Leoben
May 27, 2008

Can someone recommend a reliable $80-$100 external HDD that works on Windows 7 with both USB and FireWire? A lot of my searches will say compatible up to Vista and almost none say 7. Does it really matter?

Leoben fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 14, 2010

Eikre
May 2, 2009

No. It doesn't matter.

Like, at all. Buy literally any harddrive on the market and it will work.

(Actual harddrive quality is another thing entirely)

Binary
May 21, 2004

I know this is a simply question but I've yet to figure it out. When playing video files ( .avi or whatnot) on Windows 7, be it with the Windows media player or media player classic, the video does not scale to full screen on my main monitor, ie there's a large black border surrounding the video when I go to fullscreen. I can tell it could scale the horizontal aspect further but I can't figure out how to make it do so.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm impatient and couldn't wait five seconds before determining that it was the video source.

Binary fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 14, 2010

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I don't suppose anyone here is familiar with HP laptops quick launch buttons? You need to download software to get the drivers for the built in laptop brightness / volume buttons on the keyboard, but there is no apparent way of getting them to work on windows 7 64bit. I had trouble with the keys sometimes on 32bit but now they're completely gone.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

For those complaining about a lot of noise/HD reading/indexing/whatever it is. I was having the same issue and it was just annoying more than anything else really, especially when the rest of the room was quiet or when I'd be trying to sleep. Anyways I went into Services and disabled 'Superfetch'. Seems to have fixed the problem for now and hopefully forever.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Forgive me if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but I'm having problems with iTunes 64 freezing up a couple seconds after it loads. A google search gives me a bunch of results for different issues, but no satisfactory solutions.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64bit and iTunes 64bit. Would an older version of iTunes help? I didn't have this problem running the RC of Windows 7.

Edit: It freezes if I have my iPod Touch plugged in, and if it's unplugged it'll freeze when I plug it in.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bearnt! posted:

For those complaining about a lot of noise/HD reading/indexing/whatever it is. I was having the same issue and it was just annoying more than anything else really, especially when the rest of the room was quiet or when I'd be trying to sleep. Anyways I went into Services and disabled 'Superfetch'. Seems to have fixed the problem for now and hopefully forever.
Don't do this.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Subjective Poison posted:

Don't do this.

Could you elaborate?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

raezr posted:

All of the mp3s came with embedded album art (Windows even thumbnails it for the individual files, too). For my Grizzly Bear folder it will show the album thumbnail for the album folder, but not the artist folder. (I'm using "artist\album\track.mp3" organization) For the Grateful Dead it shows the album thumbnail for both folders, and I want to know why and how to make it do that for all folders too.

My guess is that the Grateful Dead folder, or something under it, is set as a Music folder, while the other one is set as a Generic folder. See if that's the case.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Bearnt! posted:

Could you elaborate?

Superfetch is a very good thing and you are handicapping your OS, disabling one of the things that makes Vista and 7 so superior to XP. Much like with indexing, it will settle down after a while, once it gets used to your usage habits.

KoB
Apr 30, 2009

Sorry if this has been answered, but how can I disable the different actions when bringing folders/applications to the edge of the screen (maximize/etc)?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

KoB posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but how can I disable the different actions when bringing folders/applications to the edge of the screen (maximize/etc)?

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/enable-and-disable-aero-snap-docking-windows-7/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bearnt! posted:

Could you elaborate?

It's like buying Win7 and then disabling Aero. As mentioned, Superfetch is one of the things that makes Win7 awesome, and it won't "make noise" for long.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

spanky the dolphin posted:

I don't suppose anyone here is familiar with HP laptops quick launch buttons? You need to download software to get the drivers for the built in laptop brightness / volume buttons on the keyboard, but there is no apparent way of getting them to work on windows 7 64bit. I had trouble with the keys sometimes on 32bit but now they're completely gone.
It probably depends on your exact model, they work just fine on my tx2z. Is there a 64-bit version available on their support site?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

raezr posted:

There's no pic in the Grateful Dead folder though, unless Windows created one itself as a hidden file. I haven't done anything to the folders other than put mp3s in them. For clarification: both folders in that screenshot were completely created and managed by Amazon's downloader. Obviously something caused Windows to make a thumbnail for one but not the other, and I want to figure out what.
Do you care if it's automatic? Open up the folder properties and change to the Customize tab.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I love you, this disables the drag-maximized-window-title-bar behavior that I'm prone to doing accidentally.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Swilo posted:

It probably depends on your exact model, they work just fine on my tx2z. Is there a 64-bit version available on their support site?

No, not that that I can find. I have Win 7 64bit Professional, and there are no installs available for that, the Vista 64 ones don't work and likewise with the 32bit Windows 7 installer. So annoying not being able to easily adjust brightness and volume. I'll keep looking, thanks.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Superfetch is a very good thing and you are handicapping your OS, disabling one of the things that makes Vista and 7 so superior to XP. Much like with indexing, it will settle down after a while, once it gets used to your usage habits.

Thermopyle posted:

It's like buying Win7 and then disabling Aero. As mentioned, Superfetch is one of the things that makes Win7 awesome, and it won't "make noise" for long.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll just let it do it's thing then and hopefully it won't be doing that for long.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

raezr posted:

I've got a related but different complaint with the Album art display behavior.

I'm attempting to use the Music library's ability to show the music in a format other than by folder structure (i.e. by genre). When going by folder structure, all the folders show the album art of any albums contained within. Yet when I switch to any other display, only two albums show artwork. They're both albums I ripped from CD, and are identical by tagging scheme and artwork as any number of other folders.

Is there any way to get the indexer to find the album art? Reset the index? Something easier?

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

Just got Windows 7 installed on a new box I just built. First time using 7, installed Windows 7 Professional and was saddened to see no Solitaire.

I didn't see anything in the OP and did some searches but didn't find anything, so sorry if this has been asked a billion times. Where is Solitaire? Do I have to do whatever the Windows 7 equivalent of "Add and Remove Windows Features" or whatever to get it installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Just got Windows 7 installed on a new box I just built. First time using 7, installed Windows 7 Professional and was saddened to see no Solitaire.

I didn't see anything in the OP and did some searches but didn't find anything, so sorry if this has been asked a billion times. Where is Solitaire? Do I have to do whatever the Windows 7 equivalent of "Add and Remove Windows Features" or whatever to get it installed?

Indeed you do. Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Games checked. (Actually it's an entire category, so you could have JUST Solitaire on if you wanted.)