Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

The biggest difference is that legally a OEM license is supposed to be tied to the hardware it's supposed to be sold with, Retail can be moved around and activated willy nilly (as long as it's only in use on one computer at at time). Only really matters if you want to be on the up and up and may eventually want to move that windows 7 license to a new computer.

This is the killer. If your motherboard dies (or is upgraded), you no longer have a Windows 7 licence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So if I bought a cd key and used it, I have to buy another if I decide to buy a new computer to replace this one?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

change my name posted:

So if I bought a cd key and used it, I have to buy another if I decide to buy a new computer to replace this one?

If the CD key is an OEM licence then yes, if it's Retail then no.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lum posted:

Is this a new thing, I was considering building a PC and using an old XP OEM and decided to read the OEM license. It seemed to indicate as long as I could verify that the software was removed from the old PC it was kosher to reuse the license.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Is this a new thing, I was considering building a PC and using an old XP OEM and decided to read the OEM license. It seemed to indicate as long as I could verify that the software was removed from the old PC it was kosher to reuse the license.

It's not a new thing, was the same on XP and quite probably earlier versions too.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Technically, you aren't supposed to buy an OEM key and use it on your own computer. You can only install it on a computer you sell to someone else, and you have to install it using the pre-install kit so that when your customer boots the computer the first time the Microsoft licence agreement crap pops up.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

evensevenone posted:

Technically, you aren't supposed to buy an OEM key and use it on your own computer. You can only install it on a computer you sell to someone else, and you have to install it using the pre-install kit so that when your customer boots the computer the first time the Microsoft licence agreement crap pops up.

So you sell your computer to your mum for £1 and then she gives it back to you when she's done with it.

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

Lum posted:

Are you talking about what's legal or what's actually possible? If I upgrade my motherboard, is my OEM Win7 install going to de-activate?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lum posted:

This is the killer. If your motherboard dies (or is upgraded), you no longer have a Windows 7 licence.

I'm pretty sure they've changed this recently to be about a certain % of the computer changing and not just the motherboard, but I could be mistaken.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Iblys posted:

Are you talking about what's legal or what's actually possible? If I upgrade my motherboard, is my OEM Win7 install going to de-activate?

Not likely, but even if it does it is super easy to call support for them to give you a new activation number. I've done it before.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Iblys posted:

I'm talking about what's permitted in the EULA.

The legality of EULAs is still up for debate, depending on what country you are in, but that is a topic for another thread.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am setting up a file server for home and looking at installing Win 7 Pro x64 on it. Can Win 7 expand RAID 5 arrays without needing to rebuilding, or do you need to rebuild the RAID each time you put a HDD in?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Iblys posted:

He's talking about what the EULA "permits". I've changed motherboards in machines with OEM Win7 installations and just called up the activation number and got it sorted.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

He's talking about what the EULA "permits". I've changed motherboards in machines with OEM Win7 installations and just called up the activation number and got it sorted.

This is what I was thinking, the system was toast, so I move the OEM to a completely diff. system and save myself paying for a new OS. Wanted to know if it was possible, not if it was %100 legal. MS probably wouldn't poo poo a brick and send lawyers after me if I reused an OEM license.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

You Am I posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am setting up a file server for home and looking at installing Win 7 Pro x64 on it. Can Win 7 expand RAID 5 arrays without needing to rebuilding, or do you need to rebuild the RAID each time you put a HDD in?

Win 7 doesn't do RAID 5 from what I can tell. As far as I know the only RAID software that can expand an array is mdadm in Linux.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Firefox keeps loving up, dropping downloads and such. This happened when I first installed the RC but went away eventually. Any suggestions?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

change my name posted:

Firefox keeps loving up, dropping downloads and such. This happened when I first installed the RC but went away eventually. Any suggestions?

Get rid of all your extensions and add-ons in FireFox and start from the beginning. This did it for me.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Don't have any extensions or add ons.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

change my name posted:

Don't have any extensions or add ons.

Well then, is FireFox up-to-date? Did you try to uninstall/re-install?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

subx posted:

When I try to do a backup it is telling me G: is a system drive. It's where I install games, that's it, there's no system files on the drive at all, but when I try to do a system image in windows it won't let me unselect G:.

Is Windows backup just that bad or what am I missing here? Is it just because some things are "installed" there or what? If that's the case, that's just plain stupid.

(Note I have backups of important poo poo like docs and pictures, I just want a Windows image to restore to if I need to reload Windows for whatever reason)

Well the only fix I could get to work is to just disable G: and do a backup, then re-enable the drive.

Also a question:

The whole reason I wanted to do a backup is that G: is failing, so I bought a new drive. Since its a newer and faster hard drive I am just going to replace the system drive with it as well.

I thought I saw in this thread at some point that you can put an image from a Windows install onto a new drive without much issue, right? For the life of me I can't find it now though.

kotau
Mar 21, 2003

Whatever is not forbidden is compulsory.
I'm running win7x64 and have been for a week now, I love it.

However! Now I am being slowly driven insane by my large storage drive becoming write protected at erratic times. At first, a reboot was all that was needed, now however, I have lost all ability to write to it. This sucks a whole lot.

When trying to change the permissions back I get feedback that every file is write-protected and cannot be modified. Right clicking on ANY folder in the machine shows the readonly attribute set!

Anyone know wtf is the deal here? I've tried the diskpart clearing attributes on the disk and volume, but nothing is helping anymore!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The OEM restrictions have come up in this thread before, and I'll say now what I said then: I transferred my Vista OEM license across three different motherboards over the course of its life.

How successful you are depends on how the rep you're speaking to when you call up to reactivate is feeling I guess, but I just said that the motherboard in the machine had died (to be fair, the first time around this was true) and they got me up and running immediately.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I'm finally taking the ol' swan dive into Windows 7, because I've just had enough of Vista throwing up errors and generally being awful on my laptop. This is my first, 'proper' OS upgrade so I'm already a bit cautious in case I throw the CD in and it goes, 'What the gently caress is all this hardware?' and turns my laptop into a expensive doorstop.

If I'm just buying the upgrade disc for Home Premium, will it kick off all the 'Brand' software when I use it?

The Acer I have uses it's own software to control some extra fun stuff like media-center controls, one-touch wireless switching, etc. and I have no clue if it'll just gobble up the software or just go :wtf:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Regarding the OEM thing:

Yes, it will work if you transfer it to another system, install on multiple systems, give it to a friend or family member, re-install on a new computer, etc, etc, etc. It "works" the same as a version of Windows that is sold at retail at a higher price.

Even if you can do all of that, it is still against the EULA.

That being said, the EULA isn't legally binding, and how much you choose to follow the EULA is entirely up to you.
You bought the product, shouldn't you be able to use it how you feel?

limited posted:

I'm finally taking the ol' swan dive into Windows 7, because I've just had enough of Vista throwing up errors and generally being awful on my laptop. This is my first, 'proper' OS upgrade so I'm already a bit cautious in case I throw the CD in and it goes, 'What the gently caress is all this hardware?' and turns my laptop into a expensive doorstop.

If I'm just buying the upgrade disc for Home Premium, will it kick off all the 'Brand' software when I use it?

The Acer I have uses it's own software to control some extra fun stuff like media-center controls, one-touch wireless switching, etc. and I have no clue if it'll just gobble up the software or just go :wtf:

You're over-thinking things. Computers aren't living creature you can kill by installing Windows. I'm pretty sure installing Windows 7 won't turn your computer into a doorstop. If Windows 7 doesn't work, put something else on it. Done.

Windows doesn't come with any "Brand" software. It installs a generic OS. Different companies try to customize their installs by installing poo poo and putting their logo wherever they can.

If your computer uses weird hardware, Acer's website will have free drivers to download to make it work on a clean install of Windows.
If something works with Vista, it will work with Windows 7. There shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Windows 7 is just "Windows Vista R2" or "Windows Vista SE". Vista is 6.0, Windows 7 is 6.1. The two operating systems are mostly the same. Moreso than any other version of Windows.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 4, 2010

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TTBF posted:

I believe my XP drive, and at least one (possibly two) backup drives were also connected when I installed the RC.

I reinstalled my new copy of Windows 7 onto the harddrive which wasn't working. It is now working properly and booting up fine.

I know this is a little late, but I had a similar issue and it was just that my Windows drive wasn't part of the BIOS boot order. I left the installer CD in, and that seems to have its own bootloader which could find the Win7 installation - when I took that out a few days later I got the boot manager error, until I messed with the boot order.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Xenomorph posted:

You're over-thinking things. Computers aren't living creature you can kill by installing Windows. I'm pretty sure installing Windows 7 won't turn your computer into a doorstop. If Windows 7 doesn't work, put something else on it. Done.

If your computer uses weird hardware, Acer's website will have free drivers to download to make it work on a clean install of Windows.
If something works with Vista, it will work with Windows 7. There shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Windows 7 is just "Windows Vista R2" or "Windows Vista SE". Vista is 6.0, Windows 7 is 6.1. The two operating systems are mostly the same. Moreso than any other version of Windows.

Awesome. Thanks for the pointers. Like I said, first time I've done a OS upgrade, and I was having nightmares of finding drivers, and general mayhem. Already have to use a workaround on vista just to get latest drivers for my graphic card because ATI don't do their own mobility drivers. :argh:

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having a little trouble figuring out the Windows 7 automatic backup tool. When setting the automatic backup, it prompts me to select the items I want to include in the backup, but then it asks me if I want to include a system image in the backup.

Doesn't the system image include everything? If I include a system image but select no files to include in the backup, do I just end up with an installation of Windows missing all my files?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

limited posted:

ATI don't do their own mobility drivers. :argh:

Am I missing something? If you use the product selector here it looks like Mobility is an available option...

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

limited posted:

Awesome. Thanks for the pointers. Like I said, first time I've done a OS upgrade, and I was having nightmares of finding drivers, and general mayhem. Already have to use a workaround on vista just to get latest drivers for my graphic card because ATI don't do their own mobility drivers. :argh:

Neither does nVidia.

For my HP laptop, I'm stuck with drivers that are 2+ years old because every goddamn OEM has to do their own goddamn implementation on each different goddamn laptop and UGH gently caress THIS IS WHY I'M NOT BUYING ANOTHER ONE.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Schpyder posted:

Neither does nVidia.

For my HP laptop, I'm stuck with drivers that are 2+ years old because every goddamn OEM has to do their own goddamn implementation on each different goddamn laptop and UGH gently caress THIS IS WHY I'M NOT BUYING ANOTHER ONE.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Download the official Nvidia driver, get the modified inf for that driver from that site, ???, profit.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

subx posted:

Well the only fix I could get to work is to just disable G: and do a backup, then re-enable the drive.

Also a question:

The whole reason I wanted to do a backup is that G: is failing, so I bought a new drive. Since its a newer and faster hard drive I am just going to replace the system drive with it as well.

I thought I saw in this thread at some point that you can put an image from a Windows install onto a new drive without much issue, right? For the life of me I can't find it now though.

Anyone? Sorry to repost I just don't want it to get lost, apparently my drive will be here tomorrow (Newegg's free overnight shipping* is fun!).

It's Win 7 Enterprise, if it matters.

*3 day shipping from Memphis, TN to Louisville, KY usually equates to "overnight" since a truck drives between the two cities every night.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

subx posted:

Anyone? Sorry to repost I just don't want it to get lost, apparently my drive will be here tomorrow (Newegg's free overnight shipping* is fun!).

It's Win 7 Enterprise, if it matters.

*3 day shipping from Memphis, TN to Louisville, KY usually equates to "overnight" since a truck drives between the two cities every night.

I have a number of times used an Ubuntu live cd and Gparted and dd to copy my windows partition from a smaller drive to a bigger drive and resize the partition.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

FISHMANPET posted:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Download the official Nvidia driver, get the modified inf for that driver from that site, ???, profit.

Would you recommend doing this over nvidia's own forceware drivers? I got them to install on this laptop just fine but perhaps those are better tuned for mobile cards? I don't know, help.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

Doesn't the system image include everything? If I include a system image but select no files to include in the backup, do I just end up with an installation of Windows missing all my files?
System Image includes the entire Windows partition, including your Users folder if it's on the same partition. If you have other partitions/drives, it won't cover those.

But even if you have only one partition, it's handy to backup both the system image and your files. System Image includes everything, including files that haven't changed. If you want to access older versions of your documents, keeping multiple system images around just wastes space. I've set up my work laptop to keep only the latest system image, but as many old file backups as possible. I can do a full restore when necessary, but I can also retrieve a month-old version of a document.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

rolleyes posted:

Am I missing something? If you use the product selector here it looks like Mobility is an available option...

I've got the same problem as Schpyder. Acer have to be jerks and use their OWN FANCY DRIVERS for my particular card. Which haven't been updated since oooo... Ever. It would let you update the controlling program ( Catalyst ) from ATI but not the actual drivers. :haw: Seriously. If you select the, 'other mobility' option on that website, you get what basically amounts to a, 'your manufacturer is a retard, go to their website' link.

But then hey, http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php does the same thing that those jerks don't. :smug:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Zigmidge posted:

Would you recommend doing this over nvidia's own forceware drivers? I got them to install on this laptop just fine but perhaps those are better tuned for mobile cards? I don't know, help.

You only need to do this if Nvidia doesn't provide a driver for your (most likely) older card. In the driver there's an INF file that says "I work with these cards!" Back in the day before Nvidia started releasing mobility drivers, that INF would only work with desktop cards. When you download the INF there it works with the Desktop cards, I'd imagine the Mobility drivers, and adds older mobile cards that Nvidia doesn't support.

I also haven't updated an Nvidia driver on a laptop in years, so I don't know what the situation is anymore. If the official Nvidia drivers work for you than you're good to go. All those drivers do is allow the official driver to be installed on more cards.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
I'm curious if anyone has a similar dilemma to what I'm facing. I upgraded to Win 7 Pro a little while ago after using the RC for quite a while. Now, before doing the upgrade, I was using an old Xerox DocuPrint p8ex. Now, this is an awesome printer because it uses a toner cartridge I can get fairly cheap online if I hunt, and saves huge amounts of money in ink. It's also fast, etc etc. I don't care that it's old.

Problem is the only drivers I have found for it are for Windows 2000, and need to run in Kernel Mode (Mode 2) in order to function. Now, despite all the posts on editing group policy supposedly reversing this, I cannot for the life of me get the printer to install, forever being met with the message that the local policy prevents it.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006
Hey, I've been using a massive picture collection I found as my rotating background. I am looking for a desktop gadget that is capable of displaying the filename of the currently displayed background because occasionally I will see something I really like but I have to scan through the whole picture folder if I want to find it, which is very inefficient given the thousands of files in there.

Sorry if this has already been asked!

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Do you guys know of any good shell manager for win7? I remember a goon posting a suite he created, some time ago, that managed program defaults and the right-click context menu. Where can I find that, or something like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Eikre posted:

Do you guys know of any good shell manager for win7? I remember a goon posting a suite he created, some time ago, that managed program defaults and the right-click context menu. Where can I find that, or something like it?

Was it this, by any chance?

http://defaultprogramseditor.com/