Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Alright, this is driving me loving mad. I've had Win7 Professional 64 bit on my computer for about the past month. Almost every day in the morning after I wake up I will go to my computer and find that the internet connection is apparently nonexistent. Of course, I can still get onto the internet with other devices, so its not the actual connection or something with my router. Once I restart Win7, the connection is back up like nothing was wrong.

After doing some research on this, I found that some people were having this problem when their computer would go into sleep mode. Well I had turned sleep (and hybrid) mode off entirely shortly after I installed the OS.

I found out last night that in the Device Manager you can right click on your network adapter and see that by default it is set to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Of course!!! So I switched that off. I then proceeded to leave my computer on overnight on a huge 16GB download.

I wake up today, and the loving internet connection is not there on my PC again, and the download stopped after something like 200MB. Incredibly frustrating; if I download something overnight when I'm not using my PC it is losing the internet connection - and if I download during the day it will be fine but it will eat up a huge chunk of my bandwidth that I am trying to use!

Anyone have any clue as to what could still be causing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

berserker posted:

Alright, this is driving me loving mad. I've had Win7 Professional 64 bit on my computer for about the past month. Almost every day in the morning after I wake up I will go to my computer and find that the internet connection is apparently nonexistent. Of course, I can still get onto the internet with other devices, so its not the actual connection or something with my router. Once I restart Win7, the connection is back up like nothing was wrong.

After doing some research on this, I found that some people were having this problem when their computer would go into sleep mode. Well I had turned sleep (and hybrid) mode off entirely shortly after I installed the OS.

I found out last night that in the Device Manager you can right click on your network adapter and see that by default it is set to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Of course!!! So I switched that off. I then proceeded to leave my computer on overnight on a huge 16GB download.

I wake up today, and the loving internet connection is not there on my PC again, and the download stopped after something like 200MB. Incredibly frustrating; if I download something overnight when I'm not using my PC it is losing the internet connection - and if I download during the day it will be fine but it will eat up a huge chunk of my bandwidth that I am trying to use!

Anyone have any clue as to what could still be causing this?

I'm having this exact same issue with several computers with Windows 7. This. Exact. loving. Issue.

All computers are different models/brands and some are even clones.

I haven't a loving clue what is going on but a restart is required every time. I too have the setting in device manager unchecked to not turn off the device. I've tried power settings on high performance and balanced. I've tried updating network card drivers. I've tried updating motherboard bios.

Nothing loving works. I still have this problem and the only thing I can do is restart the machines.

edit. I did check the event logs and it said something about DHCP timing out. I'm not around any of my machines so I haven't tried setting a static IP on any of them yet but you may want to give that a try.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 4, 2010

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

IT Guy posted:

edit. I did check the event logs and it said something about DHCP timing out. I'm not around any of my machines so I haven't tried setting a static IP on any of them yet but you may want to give that a try.

My computer is running a static IP for port forwarding reasons.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Read on engadget that microsoft has started the whole family pack (3 copies of home premium upgrades) for $150 deal going again. Bought one.. i have a lot of copies of XP just waiting to be upgraded.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002MV2MG0

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

Am I just a jackass or does anyone hate how expensive windows operating systems are? I'm still rolling around on XP cause I just can't bring my self to drop that kind of cash on a god drat piece of software. Especially when that software is on millions of computers already so I don't see the need for such a high price. I also "need" the best version of it cause I feel like I'm crippling my self somehow not buying the most robust version. Even if I may not need half of the features it provides. I think I am just a jackass...

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

FalloutGod posted:

Am I just a jackass or does anyone hate how expensive windows operating systems are? I'm still rolling around on XP cause I just can't bring my self to drop that kind of cash on a god drat piece of software. Especially when that software is on millions of computers already so I don't see the need for such a high price. I also "need" the best version of it cause I feel like I'm crippling my self somehow not buying the most robust version. Even if I may not need half of the features it provides. I think I am just a jackass...

How long ago did you buy XP? You will get years of use out of Windows 7. All your other stuff will run better on it. What features do you need beyond Win7 Home Premium? One of us, one of us...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames

Salad Prong

FalloutGod posted:

Am I just a jackass or does anyone hate how expensive windows operating systems are? I'm still rolling around on XP cause I just can't bring my self to drop that kind of cash on a god drat piece of software.

If you're like I don't know 85% of computer users you just get Windows "free" in the price of your pre-built desktop.

If you're building it yourself, well, you should be buying an OEM version and that's like $200 tops for Pro isn't it? What's that - 4 video games? For something you'll run for years and years?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

That 3-license home premium deal for $150.00 is pretty compelling.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames

Salad Prong

Kynetx posted:

That 3-license home premium deal for $150.00 is pretty compelling.

That's upgrade licenses, by the way, not full licenses.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Windows 7 for System Builders (1 license):
ULTIMATE           180.
Professional       140.
Home Premium       100.

Note that A) You'll only need to go above Professional in certain circumstances and B) should never have to go all the way to Ultimate.

So yes, you may in fact be a jackass.

Also: FalloutGod: Make sure to get the 64-bit version, unless you're using an Atom or something (and even then check against Intel's specs for the chip to see if you can do it). If your system is so old that it can't run 64-bit and ISN'T an Atom, then you need to replace it anyway.

Each key works on either architecture, but it's a pain in the rear end if the disc isn't the right one.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

fishmech posted:

That's upgrade licenses, by the way, not full licenses.

Sounds like he's upgrading to me. He'll have a pair of licenses for friends or family.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jesus, dont rag on the guy for not wanting to pay $100 for windows 7. I'm wondering if it's possible to buy the windows 7 family pack and sell the other 2 keys so that you only wind up paying about $50 for a license. As far as I understand it's okay/at least a harmless gray area to do an install by installing without a key and then reinstalling with the key for an upgrade edition if you own a previous version of windows. We used to have people selling keys in SA-mart but the thread got closed because I guess the it's a little too gray of an area.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

They got closed/gassed because they were MSDN licenses, iirc, and you can't sell keys in SA-Mart anyway. It is against the EULA to share family packs with people not in your "household":

quote:

b. Family Pack. If you are a “Qualified Family Pack User”, you may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Pack” on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there.

...and the same key is used for all three installations.

The "upgrade" actually being an upgrade even on a clean install isn't a grey area at all. It's intended that if you have a copy of Windows 2000 and later that you are eligible for an upgrade, regardless of whether it's actually installed on the system. The double-install method is even the way Microsoft advises you to do it on a clean drive, although changing the MediaBootInstall value in the registry is far quicker.

Since you can still get a legitimate Professional upgrade for $65, that's the way to go if you have an .edu email address. In any case, it is definitely worth it even at full price, especially because XP is an outdated piece of poo poo. Pro is also great because only systems with Professional can be Remote Desktop-ed into (although anything can initiate a connection). I installed Pro on both my netbook and desktop when the $35 deal was going on and use Remote Desktop almost daily. I just wish they had offered Ultimate for a little more for the multi-language support but otherwise it's pretty much useless.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I don't understand why people are so against paying $100 for Windows 7 (granted I got all mine on the cheap through MSDN). You're going to be using Windows 7 nearly every single day for the next few years at least. It costs about 20 cents a day in the long run.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

As a vista user (now an OS X user) I feel ripped off in spending $100 for a marketing rebrand design to salvage Windows, and essentially what Vista should have been.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

As a vista user (now an OS X user) I feel ripped off in spending $100 for a marketing rebrand design to salvage Windows, and essentially what Vista should have been.

Idiots are still parroting this bullshit? How much did you pay for OSX?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

fleshweasel posted:

Hurf durf, I've never used Windows 7, and don't remember the release cycle of windows before XP came out.

It's not a marketing rebrand. It's a better operating system that was worked on after Vista was released. Do you not remember how before XP, there was a new windows every couple years? You're just lucky that they happened to make XP so much better two times for free.

The fact that you say you use OSX now is even more hilarious. Have fun paying for your "marketing rebrands" every year or so. What jungle cat are they on now?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I have used windows 7. I think it's great. I think that vista users deserve the improvement in memory footprint and UI for less than $100. I think that it's possible to reduce the price of an OS in 2010 because of how continually massive the pool of computer users is becoming. OEMs are able to bundle the OS with their computers at a very low cost and I don't see why every individual user can't do that. I wonder if you would be this hostile if I didn't mention OS X, which has a whopping $29 price tag on its current upgrade edition.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

fleshweasel posted:

I think that vista users deserve the improvement in memory footprint and UI for less than $100.

The Student upgrade has been $30, and the Family Pack is $150 for 3 upgrade keys.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

ayyy

fleshweasel posted:

I have used windows 7. I think it's great. I think that vista users deserve the improvement in memory footprint and UI for less than $100. I think that it's possible to reduce the price of an OS in 2010 because of how continually massive the pool of computer users is becoming. OEMs are able to bundle the OS with their computers at a very low cost and I don't see why every individual user can't do that. I wonder if you would be this hostile if I didn't mention OS X, which has a whopping $29 price tag on its current upgrade edition.

1. Just keep using Vista if you don't think it's worth the upgrade. I think I'm going to stick with Vista until I get a new machine put together.

2. OSX's price is subsidized by the markup Apple puts on its hardware.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, the student deal from back in august or whatever was awesome. Now it's $65 for a pro upgrade. Pro is necessary for a lot of users and costs $140 normally if I recall correctly, for XP mode, and (correct me if I'm wrong) the ability to join domains and remote desktop. The family pack would be awesome except that it gives you one key to use 3 times which makes it more difficult to split a purchase with other people. And I'm saying that everyone should be able to get the upgrade for less, not just someone with a .edu email address handy.

revolther
May 27, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

And I'm saying that everyone should be able to get the upgrade for less, not just someone with a .edu email address handy.
Is this a direct Steve Jobs quote?

Protagonist
Apr 2, 2004
[b]text[/b]

Can someone recommend someplace where I can purchase a Windows 7 Home Premium full version key and download online?

Briefly my circumstances are that I have a pc currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, but it was upgraded from the release candidate when it all just came out.

I have done things that are generally a 'bad idea' with Windows and want to get to fresh ground. Basically I replaced a whole lot of hardware (all of it), didn't un-install any drivers or anything and just let Windows figure it out. It actually did very well at first, but now system stability is almost nill.

So now I want to get to fresh Win 7 home premium 64 and be legit about it. I also like instant gratification and want it today.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

College Slice

Protagonist posted:

Can someone recommend someplace where I can purchase a Windows 7 Home Premium full version key and download online?

Briefly my circumstances are that I have a pc currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, but it was upgraded from the release candidate when it all just came out.

I have done things that are generally a 'bad idea' with Windows and want to get to fresh ground. Basically I replaced a whole lot of hardware (all of it), didn't un-install any drivers or anything and just let Windows figure it out. It actually did very well at first, but now system stability is almost nill.

So now I want to get to fresh Win 7 home premium 64 and be legit about it. I also like instant gratification and want it today.

Download the iso, check the hash, and install right now. You have at least 30 days unitl you need to get a key, and you can push that out a bit. Can't get more instant then that.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Protagonist posted:

Are you sure your Ultimate upgrade is 32-bit only? It seems like a clean install from an upgrade copy is legit enough for just about everyone.

Protagonist
Apr 2, 2004
[b]text[/b]

LorneReams posted:

Download the iso, check the hash, and install right now. You have at least 30 days unitl you need to get a key, and you can push that out a bit. Can't get more instant then that.

I forgot about that! This is a good idea.

Toast Museum posted:

Are you sure your Ultimate upgrade is 32-bit only? It seems like a clean install from an upgrade copy is legit enough for just about everyone.

My ultimate upgrade discs I have read 32-Bit software on the dvd and packaging.

I totally forgot you have a grace period and this will work out for me great!

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

College Slice

Protagonist posted:

I totally forgot you have a grace period and this will work out for me great!

Try entering in the 32 bit key...it may work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames

Salad Prong

There is no such thing as 32-bit ONLY keys, only 32-bit ONLY media. Simply find 64 bit media somewhere and use the key you already have.

Protagonist
Apr 2, 2004
[b]text[/b]

fishmech posted:

There is no such thing as 32-bit ONLY keys, only 32-bit ONLY media. Simply find 64 bit media somewhere and use the key you already have.

This news just keeps getting better. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

I will decide who posts John Howard pictures in this thread and the circumstances in which they post.

fishmech posted:

Seriously, this should be like in 100 point font in the OP. So many people have asked or got confused over whether their key can be used with either 32 or 64bit Windows.

Lumb
Jun 29, 2007

My PC suddenly won't Sleep. I have to shut down every night or else the computer will just stay on after I tell it to sleep. I click sleep and nothing happens. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post since it might not actually be a software problem, but there you go. Any ideas?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Fun Shoe

Lumb, i've also had problems recently with sleep in windows 7, my netbook used to sleep happy as a baby but now every time i close the lid it blue screens.

Nothing's changed other than windows updates as far as I know, but if anyone else has similar experience I'd love to hear it.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Sniep posted:

Lumb, i've also had problems recently with sleep in windows 7, my netbook used to sleep happy as a baby but now every time i close the lid it blue screens.

Nothing's changed other than windows updates as far as I know, but if anyone else has similar experience I'd love to hear it.

I had this exact problem with my laptop. I had just installed the Connectify beta, and after uninstalling it, sleep didn't blue screen.

My guess is some lovely drivers you just installed, or maybe the battery isn't pushed in all the way.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

I got one that I think fits in this thread:

Windows 7's built in image viewer is worse then XP's. No anti aliasing, won't animate gif's. Not animating gif's hasn't been too big a deal until now. I do like that the image viewer will go full screen, but for my plans I need animated gif support.

See, I'm going to hook my little laptop up to a projector, and use it to project an animated image onto a sheet in a rear screen projection setup. But I need a program that will loop an animated gif, at 640x480 full screen without bogging down a 1.6 Ghz CPU. If it goes well, I'm going to have a very big jackolantern or some other spooky thing this Halloween.

I'm aware that I could make a looping video and just play that full screen, but that would be very time consuming for me to make with the software I have. Still, if there's something out there that would allow me to fairly quickly insert a sequence of images into video frames... unless Windows Movie maker does this?

Any ideas?

Landerig fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 13, 2010

syscall girl
Nov 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fun Shoe

Landerig posted:

I got one that I think fits in this thread:

Windows 7's built in image viewer is worse then XP's. No anti aliasing, won't animate gif's. Not animating gif's hasn't been too big a deal until now. I do like that the image viewer will go full screen, but for my plans I need animated gif support.

See, I'm going to hook my little laptop up to a projector, and use it to project an animated image onto a sheet in a rear screen projection setup. But I need a program that will loop an animated gif, at 640x480 full screen without bogging down a 1.6 Ghz CPU. If it goes well, I'm going to have a very big jackolantern or some other spooky thing this Halloween.

I'm aware that I could make a looping video and just play that full screen, but that would be very time consuming for me to make with the software I have. Still, if there's something out there that would allow me to fairly quickly insert a sequence of images into video frames... unless Windows Movie maker does this?

Any ideas?

If I'm reading this right you just need a simple piece of software that can loop an animated gif? If that's all you need I'd recommend IrfanView.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

If I'm reading this right you just need a simple piece of software that can loop an animated gif? If that's all you need I'd recommend IrfanView.

Does that show images in full screen now? (It's been a few years since I've downloaded and used infranview)

syscall girl
Nov 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fun Shoe

Landerig posted:

Does that show images in full screen now? (It's been a few years since I've downloaded and used infranview)

Yeah, I just tried it (with the .gif of WWII as an MMORPG ) and the fullscreen hotkey is the Enter button. Also, go to the View|Fullscreen Options menu and deselect "show text" so it doesn't show the filename, you might have to futz with the options a little bit but the program is free, lightweight and very user friendly.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Yeah, I just tried it (with the .gif of WWII as an MMORPG ) and the fullscreen hotkey is the Enter button. Also, go to the View|Fullscreen Options menu and deselect "show text" so it doesn't show the filename, you might have to futz with the options a little bit but the program is free, lightweight and very user friendly.

Oh awesome! Thanks!

Now I just need to find the right jack o lantern to use, so many pics to choose from, maybe I should have it morph between two or more jack o lanterns.

I need to tinker with this idea I think.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

fishmech posted:

I like this because in HK the Simplified Chinese 32-bit license packages are cheaper than Traditional Chinese or English.

Had a weird 7 licensing issue today: I bought a Mac mini with a new 7 Ultimate license, the Mac mini was delayed in shipping so installed 7 on a Dell Hybrid Studio I have running 64-bit Ubuntu on; Dell sold the device with an OEM Vista Basic license. I install the new license and a few days later it says the copy is not activated and automagically replaced the key I entered with an OEM key presumably extracted from the hardware. The new OEM key activates 7 Ultimate with no complaint. So I finally receive the Mac mini and install the 7 Ultimate I had bought and it activates as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

I'm not totally sure if this is the right thread but here goes.

I'm looking for a PC version of Mac Notepad. Not the built in flip-pad, but the Apimac program (http://www.apimac.com/notepad/). It allows to you to keep a number of notes that you can easily switch between and automatically opened on start up.

I thought about using Evernote but I don't want to clog my evernote up with League of Legend build orders and other nonsense.

Thanks!