Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Here's a third way: Why not use x64 Win 7 Pro and use XP mode for your various tools and gizmometers? Or do you know it wouldn't work virtualized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Factory Factory posted:

Here's a third way: Why not use x64 Win 7 Pro and use XP mode for your various tools and gizmometers? Or do you know it wouldn't work virtualized?

I only got a Home Premium OEM (Builder :ssh:) license right now, so no XP mode for me. I can probably get my tech studies buddy to get me a Professional or Ultimate license if he still has one to spare, but then i might as well go for 32 bit in the first place. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HenryEx posted:

Some discontinued tools or programs i occasionally use that are cockblocked by the x64 kernel patch protection.

Virtual PC, VMWare, VirtualBox, all are free.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

HenryEx posted:

Some discontinued tools or programs i occasionally use that are cockblocked by the x64 kernel patch protection.

It might be time to find some new applications if they won't work on a 64-bit OS in 2011. You really should look into running a virtual machine before you dual boot.

quote:

So this probably isn't Win7 exclusive, but i was kinda surprised to hear that the User files directories are symbolic links and that i can place my User profiles anywhere i want on the hard disk, outside the boot partition, too.
Is it possible then to use the same profiles i have on my 64 bit installation on the secondary 32 bit one without having to tweak and reconfigure them all over again? This takes up ungodly amounts of time on every Windows installation, right behind installing all my little essential tools and apps.

I don't see why this would be a problem.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Anyone know why my Win7 bootable USB drive errors out on my Atom netbook? the installation is working fine on an old P4 but it says it's missing files when I try it on the Atom.

EDIT: nm works now

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 14, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SnatchRabbit posted:

Anyone know why my Win7 bootable USB drive errors out on my Atom netbook? the installation is working fine on an old P4 but it says it's missing files when I try it on the Atom.

EDIT: nm works now

Why are you booting Windows 7 off a USB stick? Especially on two different computers, apparently, which Windows is really not designed to handle.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

fishmech posted:

Why are you booting Windows 7 off a USB stick? Especially on two different computers, apparently, which Windows is really not designed to handle.

He might have meant installing from a USB drive.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

HenryEx posted:

So this probably isn't Win7 exclusive, but i was kinda surprised to hear that the User files directories are symbolic links and that i can place my User profiles anywhere i want on the hard disk, outside the boot partition, too.
Is it possible then to use the same profiles i have on my 64 bit installation on the secondary 32 bit one without having to tweak and reconfigure them all over again? This takes up ungodly amounts of time on every Windows installation, right behind installing all my little essential tools and apps.

Symbolic links? You can move the Users directory anywhere you want, but unless you edit the registry path, Windows will just make another Users folder at that default directory the reg. directs it too, and your other folder will just be a folder that happens to be called "UsernameHere". Unless of course I'm misreading this..

Personally I'm using an SSD for my OS, so I had to swap around alot of registry locations for default folders, and installation paths, but switching out the users folder, for another folder is definitely possible. As I actually reformatted my SSD, then just changed the reg. paths, and popped in my old Users file.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So who else is F5ing the VLSC to grab SP1? I'm thinking it won't pop until 11 am eastern, as that will be 8 am redmond time. Yeah the final leaked build is out there but seeing as i'm in a corporate environment i'm not about to download an OS service pack from anywhere but microsoft, no matter how legit-looking the site is.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there a way to change the color of the unskinned Win7 theme? I have to use the unskinned version every so often to save battery power but I'd really like to have it a darker color instead of the near-white.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

devmd01 posted:

So who else is F5ing the VLSC to grab SP1? I'm thinking it won't pop until 11 am eastern, as that will be 8 am redmond time. Yeah the final leaked build is out there but seeing as i'm in a corporate environment i'm not about to download an OS service pack from anywhere but microsoft, no matter how legit-looking the site is.

Almost every version is up on MSDN now, I can't find Enterprise 32-bit for some reason though.

Every version of Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 is now downloadable from MSDN, along with an ISO containing the three versions of the update (32-bit, 64-bit, Itanium).

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 16, 2011

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

flatluigi posted:

Is there a way to change the color of the unskinned Win7 theme? I have to use the unskinned version every so often to save battery power but I'd really like to have it a darker color instead of the near-white.

Unless your graphics adaptor consists of a small gnome with a pencil then turning off compositing will probably end up costing you power. What you want to do is turn off all the effects but leave compositing on, because your graphics card is much more efficient at doing graphics than your processor is. Try setting it up like this:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

univbee posted:

Almost every version is up on MSDN now, I can't find Enterprise 32-bit for some reason though.

Every version of Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 is now downloadable from MSDN, along with an ISO containing the three versions of the update (32-bit, 64-bit, Itanium).

Yeah I can't grab poo poo, it's waaaaay overloaded.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

devmd01 posted:

Yeah I can't grab poo poo, it's waaaaay overloaded.

Really? I'm pulling at 360 kilobytes per second at my work, which I think is as fast as this work connection gets.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Someone tell me if the leak I got a while back matches the official ISO:

FILE: 7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave0-GRMSP1.0_DVD.iso
SIZE: 1,545,795,584 byte
SHA-1: 9D85703A456B79FC295BE24E797367F032FE947B
MD5: AE635827CA85D35EAC36B44F5064CD4B
CRC: 59CF095B

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

univbee posted:

Really? I'm pulling at 360 kilobytes per second at my work, which I think is as fast as this work connection gets.

I just tried again and it's working now. For some reason HTTP kept erroring out as was the download manager.

edit: Got to 60% and failed again. Guess I'll download it tomorrow.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 16, 2011

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

c0burn posted:

Someone tell me if the leak I got a while back matches the official ISO:

They skipped the whole "Wave 0/1" stuff and the only ISO that's up is basically equivalent to Wave 1. I'm not sure if Microsoft will officially push out the Wave 0 installers ever.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Downloading it from Technet at the moment. It's a 1.91GB ISO, supposedly covers Win 7 and Server 2008 both 32 and 64bit versions in the one ISO

jwnin
Aug 3, 2003
One thing that I noticed is that the service pack itself dates back to November 19th, 2010. That's a healthy amount of testing time, not that I'm complaining.

jwnin fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 17, 2011

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is the service pack just a collection of previous updates or is there new stuff?

If it's cumulative I might just roll my computer back to the factory install on the HD and patch it with the SP to fix an annoying lack of icons on my taskbar from a certain .ico vulnerability hotfix that never would uninstall.

Although that would mean reinstalling all of my applications though, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Is the service pack just a collection of previous updates or is there new stuff?
It's pretty much just a hot-fix roll-up. RemoteFX and Dynamic Memory are new features, but they really only matter to enterprise environments.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

How long is it usually until SP1-integrated install ISOs would go up?

When a Service Pack comes out I prefer to be ridiculously anal about it and do a fresh integrated install, rather than just install the service pack.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

How long is it usually until SP1-integrated install ISOs would go up?
That's what went up today.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?
nevermind (i know this post is quoted ahead of me, wasn't asking for files though, i swear!)

CUMGUARD fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 17, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

CUMGUARD posted:

I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place for this, I looked around and couldn't really find anywhere better to ask, though.

I've got a friend who is currently running Vista on their laptop, but wants to upgrade to 7. I've offered to do it for her, but she wants a "legit" version (despite the fact that the version I have is the RTM iso hahaha) and she's also thinking of buying an Acer netbook that has Windows 7 on it too. She's wondering if there's a way to take the install on the Acer netbook and copy it over to her Dell laptop. She's also not sure whether or not there will be an install cd that comes with the netbook.

I told her that if there is, there's a good chance it'll be some kind of OEM thing where it's locked to (at the very least) an Acer mobo. I got to thinking about it, though, and it occurred to me that it might be possible to take the netbook when it's completely fresh out of the box, ghost it, and then install the ghosted image onto her laptop. I've used Ghost before (not in several years, though) and could easily do all this for her, but I've got a couple of questions.

First, will the image be "hardware locked" as well? I.e., will it just simply not work putting an image of an Acer system onto a Dell laptop? Any time I've ever used Ghost, it has been creating an image of one machine, then deploying it to a lot of identical machines, so I've never run across this situation before.

Secondly, if it does work, will there be driver issues? Obviously the drivers in the ghosted image will be the Acer drivers, which won't necessarily play nice with the Dell hardware. Is Windows 7 "plug-n-play" enough that this won't be an issue?

Before the objections start, I'm aware of how silly this is, and I know there are better ways to go about all this, and that this is an extremely convoluted way to go about something that could easily be much simpler, but this girl is (despite being an incredibly close friend) really hard-headed, and this is what she wants to do, so I just want to know if it's possible. Thanks!

Unless I'm really misunderstanding your post, what you're talking about is :filez:

Tell her to pony up the $100 and get an actual "legit" copy instead of all this convoluted retardation.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

quadratic posted:

Unless I'm really misunderstanding your post, what you're talking about is :filez:

Tell her to pony up the $100 and get an actual "legit" copy instead of all this convoluted retardation.

Yeah, it just occurred to me that it could look like I'm asking for :filez: here, which I'm really not. This is really stupid, though, I'm just gonna tell her to either take what help I can give her or else just buy her own copy.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
That is not legit, it won't work anyways, and she is not going to sleep with you.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

tk posted:

That is not legit, it won't work anyways, and she is not going to sleep with you.

1. realized that
2. realized that
3. already has many times, that's not what this is about

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dammit, the ei.cfg removal tool doesn't seem to work on SP1 discs yet. Whoever works on it updated it a few weeks ago, though, so hopefully that means he's on-the-ball enough to update it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

univbee posted:

Dammit, the ei.cfg removal tool doesn't seem to work on SP1 discs yet. Whoever works on it updated it a few weeks ago, though, so hopefully that means he's on-the-ball enough to update it.

Can't you just delete ei.cfg to get the same effect?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yep. Just delete it. If you're installing from USB it's easy enough, but if you're using DVD you can rebuild the image with PowerISO, UltraISO etc.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

On behalf of everyone without MSDN (or with a slow MSDN AA server :argh: or something), I'd like to ask whether checksums for the official SP1-integrated images are :filez: now.

If they aren't, you'll probably spare a lot of goons a lot of frustration by posting them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well for people without MSDN I've extracted the x64 and x86 SP1 installers and am hosting them:
windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
windows6.1-KB976932-x86.exe

These are the installers that Windows Update will probably have up soon, not images of SP1 integrated DVDs. If there's a problem having these posted I'll edit it out but I don't think there should be.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fishmech posted:

These are the installers that Windows Update will probably have up soon, not images of SP1 integrated DVDs. If there's a problem having these posted I'll edit it out but I don't think there should be.
Nah it's cool. Thanks. Do you mind if I edit it into the OP?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nah it's cool. Thanks. Do you mind if I edit it into the OP?

No problem!

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

On behalf of everyone without MSDN (or with a slow MSDN AA server :argh: or something), I'd like to ask whether checksums for the official SP1-integrated images are :filez: now.

If they aren't, you'll probably spare a lot of goons a lot of frustration by posting them.

You don't need to have a technet account to view file information on their downloads.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx

Navigate on the left to get to 7, click on view to view lots of info including the sha1 sum for the download.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

fishmech posted:

Well for people without MSDN I've extracted the x64 and x86 SP1 installers and am hosting them:
windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
windows6.1-KB976932-x86.exe

Thanks for these, I'm pulling good download speeds on that first link.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I had some weird error installing on one machine, apparently my PC was no longer configured to mount hard drives automatically(?) and required me to set automount to true using diskpart. All good otherwise.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Couldn't you put those on alluvion.org or something? That's an awful lot to host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

Couldn't you put those on alluvion.org or something? That's an awful lot to host.

I have plenty of bandwidth to hand for now. x64 is only 900 megabytes and x86 is 550 megabytes or so, my hosting will be fine.