Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Space Gopher posted:

Well, if you're in a compsci-ish program, your school probably pays for MSDN AA access. Otherwise, just buy the $30 upgrade and drop it on top of an unactivated demo installation. It's technically against the license, but it works, and Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo as long as you buy some sort of key.

I'm in a Comp Sci program. I'll have to look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Space Gopher posted:

This is pretty much the default. You can't do a straight upgrade without Vista in the mix, but you don't have to wipe the drive, either.

Personally, I'd copy the whole of my HDD to an external HDD, then do a fresh install of Win 7, followed by dragging back selected files to the primary HDD.

After a couple of weeks, I wipe the external HDD (i.e. once I am 100% sure that I haven't missed any files)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

spog posted:

Personally, I'd copy the whole of my HDD to an external HDD, then do a fresh install of Win 7, followed by dragging back selected files to the primary HDD.

After a couple of weeks, I wipe the external HDD (i.e. once I am 100% sure that I haven't missed any files)

Why waste time doing that? The installer will detect a previous Windows install and move the ENTIRE thing to a folder called "Windows.old."

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Joe Don Baker posted:

Why waste time doing that? The installer will detect a previous Windows install and move the ENTIRE thing to a folder called "Windows.old."

I always prefer to start from a blank HDD when installing an OS. These days it may not be required (not sure how good Win7 is at handling it) but I have fond memories of old Windows installations managing to still mess up supposedly 'clean' installs back in the day.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Joe Don Baker posted:

No, it will move the entire Windows folder. He'll still have his Documents & Settings (not a big deal, because poo poo's in User now) and Program Files (big deal, since Program files is still Program Files). If he's going from 32 to 64 bit, the fuckedness becomes even greater in the Program Files directory.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FISHMANPET posted:

No, it will move the entire Windows folder. He'll still have his Documents & Settings (not a big deal, because poo poo's in User now) and Program Files (big deal, since Program files is still Program Files). If he's going from 32 to 64 bit, the fuckedness becomes even greater in the Program Files directory.

Pretty sure it moves Program Files too.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I don't know what I did, but my library folders would show up like this:

And now it shows up like this:

How can I revert it back?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

VisAbsoluta posted:

I don't know what I did, but my library folders would show up like this:

And now it shows up like this:

How can I revert it back?

Right click on some empty space in the main field, go to Group by, and select (None).

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just upgraded the wife from Vista to 7 and I'm trying to leave her setup as vanilla as possible.

How can I get the default Windows backup to not backup 'Libraries' that aren't on her computer? I of course want to backup her Music and Photos but I can only get as granular as the Library level in the program and then I get a shitton of errors like 'Backup skipped backing up \\MAVERICK\Music as it is not on local machine.' . No poo poo, I don't need the backup to go around backing up Music on foreign machines in my network. The error it pops up in the Action Center is bad news because I want my wife to only get alerts when her local items are not getting backed up.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Hed posted:

Just upgraded the wife from Vista to 7 and I'm trying to leave her setup as vanilla as possible.

How can I get the default Windows backup to not backup 'Libraries' that aren't on her computer? I of course want to backup her Music and Photos but I can only get as granular as the Library level in the program and then I get a shitton of errors like 'Backup skipped backing up \\MAVERICK\Music as it is not on local machine.' . No poo poo, I don't need the backup to go around backing up Music on foreign machines in my network. The error it pops up in the Action Center is bad news because I want my wife to only get alerts when her local items are not getting backed up.

before starting the backup you'll be given two options:

"Let windows choose"
"Let me choose" (use this one)

pretty much just gives you an explorer style view and you can tick off what you want.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the reply, I got off my lazy rear end and took some pictures.

Here's what I see when I do the 'Let me choose'. I can't get more granular than just checking a library on or off:

I don't know why I didn't just go through the full path to her user profile directory and back up everything from there before, I guess I just figured the library thing would be local. I kind of understand why they did it that way now; and my problem is fixed, so thanks for the help.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just got my first SSD (Kingston V100 64GB, 80 bucks after rebate). I'm using it for my OS and a few games. I'm also upgrading from Vista to 7. I've got it installed and running.

Are there any suggested things I should be doing since this is on an SSD drive? And anything special to prepare the system for the fact that 90% of the programs I will use will NOT be installed on the OS drive? I mean, I'm sure I have stuff now I can use that's already installed on the old drive, but it doesn't show up in the Start menu or anything like that, along with file associations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't think you are going to have enough room on a 64GB SSD for both Windows and games. Keep the games on a separate drive. You need free space on the system drive for the swap file and hibernation.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can chuck the hibernation file and move your page file to your mechanical drive. If you have 4+ gigs of RAM not much uses the page file anyway. Are you using AHCI (enabled in the BIOS)? Also, disable write caching on the SSD. Never defrag the SSD (windows 7 is smart enough not to auto schedule it). Maybe read the SSD thread?

I have a 90 gig drive and I am constantly running out of space, even keeping stuff to a minimum.

Dr. Pwn
Jul 15, 2005

Money is the blood and soul of men and whosoever has none wanders dead among the living.
E: Whatever, problem solved.

Dr. Pwn fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 20, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I understand that Win 7 is, for the most part, a good upgrade from past versions, but something that seems so loving rear end-backwards is its handling of file permissions and the administrator user. I've got just the default user account, yet so many things require me to do it as 'administrator'. I was even getting unexplained sudden desktop crashes in Portal 2 until I right-clicked and ran the game as administrator.

Is there any way to permanently get around this poo poo?

You Am I posted:

I don't think you are going to have enough room on a 64GB SSD for both Windows and games. Keep the games on a separate drive. You need free space on the system drive for the swap file and hibernation.

Well, I'm only going to have one or two games on the SSD at a time. Right now it's my MMOs, since they benefit the most from such a fast drive. I'm at 5GB free space right now. (And the second MMO is the SWTOR beta, which is like 20GB, which is not normal and will not be staying beyond the beta window.)

So out of the ten games I have installed on my system right now, only two are on the SSD.

Dogen posted:

You can chuck the hibernation file and move your page file to your mechanical drive.

But don't I get a performance boost having the page file on the SSD?

Dogen posted:

Are you using AHCI (enabled in the BIOS)?

What is the benefit? The wikipedia article doesn't get that across.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Revol posted:

But don't I get a performance boost having the page file on the SSD?
Yes, although how big a benefit it is depends on how much RAM you've got and the load you're placing on it. Clearly if you've got 1GB of RAM then you're into disk-thrashing territory so it'd be a major boost, although why you'd have an SSD in a machine with 1GB of RAM is another discussion entirely. If you've got 4GB then paging is likely do be done in the background anyway so you might not see much of a boost. It's up to you to decide if you think the reduction in space is worth the boost in performance.

Revol posted:

What is the benefit? The wikipedia article doesn't get that across.

ACHI can be considered 'native' mode for all modern drives. If you're not using it some features become unavailable and others suffer performance drops.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Revol posted:

I was even getting unexplained sudden desktop crashes in Portal 2 until I right-clicked and ran the game as administrator.

Something else is wrong with your computer, I've never had to run games (including Portal 2) as administrator.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Revol posted:

I understand that Win 7 is, for the most part, a good upgrade from past versions, but something that seems so loving rear end-backwards is its handling of file permissions and the administrator user. I've got just the default user account, yet so many things require me to do it as 'administrator'. I was even getting unexplained sudden desktop crashes in Portal 2 until I right-clicked and ran the game as administrator.

Is there any way to permanently get around this poo poo?

I'll have to agree with the previous poster. I run a standard user account and rarely have to use admin privileges.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

You might try moving the Steam directory out of Program Files (x86) to the root or c:/games/ or some such.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

You might try moving the Steam directory out of Program Files (x86) to the root or c:/games/ or some such.

He shouldn't do it, it's the proper place and I've never had a Steam game complain about needing admin permissions everytime it runs. Something else is screwed up with his system.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

You Am I posted:

There is also MS Dreamspark, free developer/server tools:

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx
And here I was, thinking to myself "Now that I've got quite a lot of experience with linux as a server, maybe I should try windows server 2008 r2 some day" ... And there we go. Thank you so much. :)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

rolleyes posted:

ACHI can be considered 'native' mode for all modern drives. If you're not using it some features become unavailable and others suffer performance drops.

The biggest one is loss of TRIM support, which is discussed at length in the OP of the SSD megathread, along with why you shouldn't move your pagefile to a mechanical drive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

He shouldn't do it, it's the proper place and I've never had a Steam game complain about needing admin permissions everytime it runs. Something else is screwed up with his system.

No he really should because some games throw a hissy fit if they're installed to program files because they want full access which by default being in that folder will not be. It's not an issue with steam.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Thermopyle posted:

I'll have to agree with the previous poster. I run a standard user account and rarely have to use admin privileges.

It's a brand new W7 installation, though. What the hell could have gone wrong?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Is there anyway to switch the way the computer turns on from hybernate? In xp on my other computer it goes back on just by moving the mouse. In windows 7 it seems like the only option they give you is the power button on the computer. It would be nice to turn it back on just by moving the mouse. anyone know if this is possible?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No he really should because some games throw a hissy fit if they're installed to program files because they want full access which by default being in that folder will not be. It's not an issue with steam.

I have never, ever experienced this and I have various Steam games + non-steam games installed. You do know that Windows 7 silently redirects attempts to write to program files/program files (x86) to \users\<user>\AppData right? Mostly to AppData\Local\VirtualStore and AppData\Roaming. The only exception to this is if you've hosed around with UAC, which you really should not do.

Revol posted:

It's a brand new W7 installation, though. What the hell could have gone wrong?

Continuing with the theme above, have you hosed around with UAC? If so, put it back to how it was before. If not, I'm as confused as you. Is this an x64 install?

Peechka posted:

Is there anyway to switch the way the computer turns on from hybernate? In xp on my other computer it goes back on just by moving the mouse. In windows 7 it seems like the only option they give you is the power button on the computer. It would be nice to turn it back on just by moving the mouse. anyone know if this is possible?

Do you really mean hibernate? Hibernation means that the machine is powered off and the contents of the memory have been dumped to disk, ready to be reloaded when the machine is started back up. It's not normally possible to resume from hibernation just by moving the mouse because the machine is in the same power state as it would be if you'd selected "shut down". I suspect you mean sleep, in which case you should make sure that hybrid sleep is set up (it is by default) and select sleep rather than hibernate. To be clear, when the machine is in hibernation you can pull the power plug, move it halfway across the country, plug it back in and it will resume from where you left it when you hit the power button because it was completely switched off already.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 22, 2011

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Lum posted:

along with why you shouldn't move your pagefile to a mechanical drive.

Oh? I don't see it in the first page of that thread.

It's only an issue if you don't have enough RAM and actually need to use the page file, no?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Paging is a complicated thing. You'll still use it, although like you said not as much with high RAM, it'll have better performance to have it set to System Managed size and on the SSD.

Straight from the horse's mouth: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I'm planning to buy an entirely new machine and I'm wondering what the easiest, most painless way to migrate my existing Win7 installation (including all installed programs / games and their settings) to the new machine would be?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

beer_war posted:

I'm planning to buy an entirely new machine and I'm wondering what the easiest, most painless way to migrate my existing Win7 installation (including all installed programs / games and their settings) to the new machine would be?

Clone the hard drive. Otherwise Easy transfer will grab most stuff, but iirc not programs. Use gamesave manager for game saves.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone know why Windows 7 is randomly giving me issues installing software and/or updates?

Recently, when installing, for example, Dropbox or VLC updates, it'll give me a dialog box. It'll say to install for the current user "RovingReporter-PC\Roving Reporter" or run the program as the following user:, to which it will have Administrator typed in for the username and password dialog box empty.

The thing is, my account is set up as an Admin account with no login password, and only another limited account on the PC. Messing with the user settings so far hasn't yielded anything.

Virus or malware maybe?

Ideas?

Edit: Cancelling it gets "unable to elevate, error 6".

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 22, 2011

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I'm sorry if this has been brought up before.

I'm having issues with music and audio in general on Windows 7 glitching out, popping, cracking, and just not behaving okay. I've tried Zune, iTunes, Foobar... nothing can mend it.

I swear I have tried everything to fix this, drivers, disabling processes, disabling hardware, turning wireless off. Nothing seems to work.

I'm running 7 32-bit pro on a Dell Latitude E5510. Hardware wise it should be doing just great.

Any ideas?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thirst for Savings posted:

I'm having issues with music and audio in general on Windows 7 glitching out, popping, cracking, and just not behaving okay. I've tried Zune, iTunes, Foobar... nothing can mend it.

I swear I have tried everything to fix this, drivers, disabling processes, disabling hardware, turning wireless off. Nothing seems to work.

I'm running 7 32-bit pro on a Dell Latitude E5510. Hardware wise it should be doing just great.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you got a hosed up audio chip/card happening there man. Nothing to fix it except perhaps a usb sound card.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Sounds like you got a hosed up audio chip/card happening there man. Nothing to fix it except perhaps a usb sound card.

The laptop does have a firewire port... I could try my external soundcard I use for my home PC I suppose. Just gotta find a cable that will do the job.

Suppose I haven't tried EVERYTHING yet.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Hed posted:

Paging is a complicated thing. You'll still use it, although like you said not as much with high RAM, it'll have better performance to have it set to System Managed size and on the SSD.

Straight from the horse's mouth: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

With 8 gigs of RAM and only a 90 gig SSD Windows is always sucking up 8 gigs of space for the page file if I set it to system managed, and as far as I can tell it almost never gets used. I'd rather have about 10% of my primary drive space than suffer from no performance hit as far as I can tell. I'm sure if I had less RAM or more drive space I might feel differently, but really this seems to make the most sense for my situation, which I suspect is similar to many people's.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dogen posted:

With 8 gigs of RAM and only a 90 gig SSD Windows is always sucking up 8 gigs of space for the page file if I set it to system managed, and as far as I can tell it almost never gets used. I'd rather have about 10% of my primary drive space than suffer from no performance hit as far as I can tell. I'm sure if I had less RAM or more drive space I might feel differently, but really this seems to make the most sense for my situation, which I suspect is similar to many people's.

You're better off turning the page file down to something like 1 gb than turning it off completely, actually.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah, I leave it system managed on a mechanical drive.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Thirst for Savings posted:

Any ideas?

You might have already tried this, but find out who actually makes the sound chip in your laptop and grab the reference drivers directly from them, rather than Dell's versions which are usually out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lum posted:

You might have already tried this, but find out who actually makes the sound chip in your laptop and grab the reference drivers directly from them, rather than Dell's versions which are usually out of date.

Good idea in general, but definitely not the case with IDT, which explicitly states that they won't distribute drivers of any kind and tells you to go to the vendor's site.

This is apropos of nothing, other than the fact that my mom's Dell HD Audio is toast from some driver issue (possibly related to XP SP3.) I felt bad after assuring her I could fix it and being stymied at every turn short of reverting the OS or informing her she could pay money to get 7.