Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

grrowl posted:

The badges work only for applications that are currently running and located in the task bar.

Badge?
I think i've missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

url posted:

Badge?
I think i've missed something.

The unread email count, in a little badge, only works on the taskbar, not in the start menu. Er... we are talking about the same thing right?

on a slightly related aside, gmail notifier 1.2 is out, which is meant to remove it from the alt-tab menu but it's not working for me.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Casao posted:

It's on the download page, or linked in the OP of the Digsby thread here. Something like 'If you're having problems installing or putting it on a flashdrive".

As for Aliases, it's supported by pretty much every IM protocol natively, and Digsby supports storing them server side and renaming. I don't know anyone's IM names since I've got other names listed.

It also supports metacontacts, in case you have friends cross-protocols or with lots of usernames.

drat, this is pretty snazzy. Think I'm gonna keep this and uninstall Pidgin. Thanks for the recommendation!

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Alright so I have Windows 7 running on this laptop now. Several questions, how do I make it boot faster, and can I relocate the "show desktop" button to be right next to the windows orb? That's where my show desktop button is in Vista and XP and everything else so it's kind of confusing. Plus, my mouse is never ever on the lower right corner of my screen.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

grrowl posted:

The unread email count, in a little badge, only works on the taskbar, not in the start menu. Er... we are talking about the same thing right?

on a slightly related aside, gmail notifier 1.2 is out, which is meant to remove it from the alt-tab menu but it's not working for me.

ahhhhh, okay.
I'm with you now.

I think I will re-pin my outlook.
I'll post back when I get mail :p

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hahaha!

I finally figured out my mysterious internet connectivity issues.

It was the router (WRT54g v.3.1). After wrestling with it for a few hours and dealing with openwrt not working and it being completely wtf, I managed to get ddwrt on it and it worked off the bat. I was using old firmware revision Hyperwrt+Thibor v15c which I haven't updated in years but once I upgraded everything started working properly. I don't have to reset my network connections or anything.

Lovely.

For future reference:
Upgrade your router's firmware to the latest one and prepare your drivers before you dive into Windows 7.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

grrowl posted:

You should re-read the changelog.

quote:

Application will no longer appear first in alt-tab

It's still in alt-tab, it just isn't always the first item. Which was obnoxious, but I find myself using alt-tab a lot less in 7 so not as obnoxious as it could've been.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Outlook 2k10 pinned to SuperMegaUltraBar, new mail arrived.

No Badge

:(

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I need to know: In windows 7 when you set the USB policy to optimize for performance, can you use safely disconnect device and it will work?

Scrios
Jul 24, 2005

by elpintogrande
I've looked for a solution to this elsewhere but I didn't find much.

Every time I run the Display Color Calibration thing, I get this error:

and it reverts back to my old settings. Is this known for build 7100 or changed recently or what?

edit- Yes I've tried closing other programs that are open and trying again

Scrios fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 11, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Scrios posted:

build 7000 [Really!? -Ed.]

I think I speak for most of the thread when I say MOVE TO THE RC ALREADY. It's far more stable and works a fair bit smoother besides, and with more things, and I'd be a bit surprised if your problem didn't go away.

If you're worried about losing stuff, just upgrade to it from within your current build. (You'll want to open up /sources/cversion.ini on your install media and change MinClient from 7100 to 7000, otherwise it won't work. This is just one reason why flash media is so useful for installing OSes.)

Or don't, and then we'll laugh at you next month when you computer starts periodically shutting down (by design; it is a beta, after all) and you join the flood of people coming in and going "wtf m8 ^^;" about it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 11, 2009

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

Tivac posted:

You should re-read the changelog.

It's still in alt-tab, it just isn't always the first item. Which was obnoxious, but I find myself using alt-tab a lot less in 7 so not as obnoxious as it could've been.

Oh wow, thanks... it showing up in alt-tab pisses me off constantly (as well as whatever Adobe Reader has going on with this) but I guess that's an improvement. I find myself running a lot more applications on w7 mostly due to not filling up the taskbar so easily, so alt-tab seems to get used a lot more.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dogen posted:

Correct. I do have it pinned, but I don't think that would make a difference.
I got it working. I had to turn off all the notification options and restart Outlook a bunch of times and send myself a few test messages but it's working now. It's small and easily overlooked but it definitely wasn't working at all for me before.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Ziir posted:

how do I make it boot faster
Suspend (or hibernate, if more than a day) your laptop instead of shutting down the OS? I suspend/hibernate my laptop multiple times a day, every day, yet only reboot once every month or two, almost always for OS patches and/or driver updates.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

xamphear posted:

I got it working. I had to turn off all the notification options and restart Outlook a bunch of times and send myself a few test messages but it's working now. It's small and easily overlooked but it definitely wasn't working at all for me before.

I wish it had a little number or something on the badge, but I guess it doesn't really matter that much, since I'm just going to open outlook and see how many I messages I have anyway. Infinitely better than having an annoying taskbar item, for sure.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I went ahead and ordered a Core 2 Quad Q9550 from Newegg. Pretty much one of the best quad-core CPUs out there now. :3: (with a full twelve times as much L2 cache as my current dual-core CPU!)

Of course, part of the purchasing decision was based on the fact that it was one of the "lucky" CPUs that was NOT selected on Intel's "wheel of VT support" - where they spin a big colorful wheel to randomly decide which CPUs have Virtualization Technology disabled.

It looks like I'll be able to try XP Mode now.

Scrios
Jul 24, 2005

by elpintogrande

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I think I speak for most of the thread when I say MOVE TO THE RC ALREADY. It's far more stable and works a fair bit smoother besides, and with more things, and I'd be a bit surprised if your problem didn't go away.

If you're worried about losing stuff, just upgrade to it from within your current build. (You'll want to open up /sources/cversion.ini on your install media and change MinClient from 7100 to 7000, otherwise it won't work. This is just one reason why flash media is so useful for installing OSes.)

Or don't, and then we'll laugh at you next month when you computer starts periodically shutting down (by design; it is a beta, after all) and you join the flood of people coming in and going "wtf m8 ^^;" about it.

Yeah I meant 7100 instead of 7000. That's what I get for posting at 4:30 in the morning :ughh:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Okay.

Yeah, that seems a bit odd. I don't suspect it's a difference between AMD64 and x86 codebases, though, because it seems to work fine in both versions of 7 RC.

Let's see what display hardware you have - including monitor drivers and additional monitor software, if any.

Also: check your color profiles (under color management - it gets its own entry in the control panel), and retry calibration on a default one (if any). The one you're using could be corrupt or badly written.

I would also suggest trying to do most of your color correction in monitor hardware, if at all possible.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 11, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Xenomorph posted:

I went ahead and ordered a Core 2 Quad Q9550 from Newegg. Pretty much one of the best quad-core CPUs out there now. :3: (with a full twelve times as much L2 cache as my current dual-core CPU!)

Of course, part of the purchasing decision was based on the fact that it was one of the "lucky" CPUs that was NOT selected on Intel's "wheel of VT support" - where they spin a big colorful wheel to randomly decide which CPUs have Virtualization Technology disabled.

It looks like I'll be able to try XP Mode now.

Do you have a chart or something of which CPUs have the VT extensions enabled?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Do you have a chart or something of which CPUs have the VT extensions enabled?

Intel does. (Use the small text headers to switch processor classes.)

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Anyone else had issues getting Fallout 3 to run with the most recent build of Windows 7 RC?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Intel does. (Use the small text headers to switch processor classes.)

* Motherboard bios must also support VT and set correctly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I still haven't figured out what the purpose of XPM is for personal machines.
Anybody want to clue me in?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Well, there's a reason it doesn't ship with Home Premium.

tommej
Apr 18, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ilkhan posted:

running old rear end programs

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Corte posted:

Anyone else had issues getting Fallout 3 to run with the most recent build of Windows 7 RC?

I had some issues with 7000, but I sorted those out by launching it through steam and disabling anti-aliasing. However in 7100, the music in GNR stutters really badly, which can make it almost unplayable.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Corte posted:

If we're talking 7100, it's running super well for me. My main problem is that I can't get Crysis 64 bit to work, but I don't know if that would make a big difference in how it plays or not anyway. Seems to run fine under 32 bit on my machine.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

All Too Much For Me posted:

I had some issues with 7000, but I sorted those out by launching it through steam and disabling anti-aliasing. However in 7100, the music in GNR stutters really badly, which can make it almost unplayable.

Do you have an audigy card? I managed to largely fix that by routing the audio through the Alchemy layer and doing some minor fiddling with those settings.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ilkhan posted:

I know what I'll be running on it on my personal machine.

Cisco VPN
SimCity
SimEarth
Ancient, DOS-only self-extractors.
IE6 and OE

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
XPM won't really run games. I've used it quite a bit for VPN (I VPN into work, and then use Outlook, RDP, and IE to do work from home)... and it definitely has it's limitations.

For one, it uses a hybrid of Remote Desktop to draw the graphics, so you don't get ClearType, and it draws windows pretty slowly. Think of it like using Remote Desktop to connect to a machine right next to you on a very fast LAN... it's very very usable for common apps, but there's the tiniest delay in the UI, and I can't imagine trying to run a game on it.

Also, it has its limitations when it comes to options in VirtualPC, although I hope that's just because its in beta still (see my aforementioned rant about how VM's can ONLY be installed on the C: drive).

syphon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 11, 2009

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

EnergizerFellow posted:

Suspend (or hibernate, if more than a day) your laptop instead of shutting down the OS? I suspend/hibernate my laptop multiple times a day, every day, yet only reboot once every month or two, almost always for OS patches and/or driver updates.

What about moving the show desktop button to be next to the start button?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ziir posted:

What about moving the show desktop button to be next to the start button?

"oops meant to click the start button but minimized all my windows instead"

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I find I am not even using the desktop in Windows 7, and I used the desktop for everything in XP.

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe

beejay posted:

I find I am not even using the desktop in Windows 7, and I used the desktop for everything in XP.

Yeah, I really wish people would get away from depending on the desktop. Especially with the Search feature in the Start Menu being so incredibly useful. I never really paid attention to it until someone else pointed it out in this thread, but it's really changed how I use and find applications. And now with the ability to group and pin programs to your taskbar, and in advent of Jump Lists for common tasks, I just can't see any use for storing things on the desktop at all.

But maybe it's just because I've been using bblean as my Windows shell since I saw a thread here on it four or so years ago. There's really no point in having icons on the desktop if you just know how to sort things properly.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
News for any European purchasers of Windows 7: retail copies of the OS will not include ANY browser.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/windows-7-to-be-shipped-in-europe-sans-internet-explorer.ars

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Stutes posted:

News for any European purchasers of Windows 7: retail copies of the OS will not include ANY browser.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/windows-7-to-be-shipped-in-europe-sans-internet-explorer.ars

Welcome to Windows 95!

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Stutes posted:

Then...how does one download a browser :psyduck:

url shortcut on the desktop?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Stutes posted:

Won't that make it kind of hard to get a browser?

e:f,b.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Stuntman Mike posted:

Then...how does one download a browser :psyduck:

url shortcut on the desktop?

They may have some app with embedded IE (that can't be removed from windows) with links to Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and IE8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
God drat, I hate the EU sometimes. They're also the reason MS had to remove the ability to put an Address Bar on the taskbar with XP SP3 (which is loving retarded. It didn't launch IE, it launched whatever your DEFAULT BROWSER was).

EDIT: I wonder if they care that OSX comes with Safari, or that most Linux distros come with Firefox (or Konqueror or whatever).

syphon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 11, 2009