Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does SkyDrive integrate into Windows 7 at all? It would be really nice to just right-click a file and say "Send to SkyDrive". I'm guessing that 3rd party tools might exist but I'm wondering if Windows 7 comes with anything built-in.

Also, does anybody use BitLocker encryption? It sounds decently useful especially if your motherboard has a TPM module (which mine doesn't, doh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.

Tagra posted:

The last four days of event log are full of "The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations." I don't actually know what that means, but I'm assuming it's somehow related. I am running TVersity as a media server for the Xbox, I don't know if that's the server it's referring to or not. RAM usage seemed normal though.

You most likely have a bad driver that's leaking nonpaged memory. You can read a little more about nonpaged vs. paged memory here: http://blogs.technet.com/markrussin...26/3211216.aspx

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

So my taskbar thumbnail preview panes disappeared the other day along with all Aero effects for minimizing windows and such. I've made sure that my Windows score or whatever is high enough (4.3 with performance bottleneck at my onboard graphics), and all the effects are turned on as far as Windows will tell me... But after disabling, re-enabling, and rebooting everything I could find on it I can't get my preview panes or Aero effects back.

It's no big deal that I've lost them, but at this point it's just the principle of the matter that Windows is not playing by the rules. Any ideas on things I've missed?

Edit: when I right click the start menu > properties, the "use Aero Peak to preview the desktop" is checked but greyed out.

PabloBOOM fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 27, 2009

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

If the iso is not yet available on MSDN/Technet... what exactly is the leaked copy? Internal leak?

Probably. Major OEMs got the data already to start playing around with, so it could have come from there too, like some disgruntled worker at Dell China or something.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Windows 7 has ruined me. I keep clicking the clock in XP trying to reach the desktop

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

stedd posted:

You most likely have a bad driver that's leaking nonpaged memory. You can read a little more about nonpaged vs. paged memory here: http://blogs.technet.com/markrussin...26/3211216.aspx

It appears to be /Devices/LanmanServer that threw the errors, approximately once every 10 minutes starting on the 24th, but I'm guessing that doesn't necessarily mean it's the actual device that caused the leak? Just that it was the first one to run out of memory? Is there a way in just the base Task Manager to see which process might be leaking, or do I have to go get the program talked about in that article?

It still took it a month and a half to crash, and when I go to the final version I'll be updating everything again, but now I'm curious to see which one is loving up.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

I've just updated to RTM (Ultimate, I was lazy about changing ei, and there's a what, $30 difference anyway?).

Considering I've just come from the RC it's fast. As in, "oh, you're done... already? But I just clicked on that..." fast.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PopeOnARope posted:

I've just updated to RTM (Ultimate, I was lazy about changing ei, and there's a what, $30 difference anyway?).

Considering I've just come from the RC it's fast. As in, "oh, you're done... already? But I just clicked on that..." fast.

didn't think it was going to be on technet till next month

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

PopeOnARope posted:

No you're thinking of Professional.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I wish they'd release the RTM on TechNet sooner

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.

College Slice

No matter what I type in the Start Menu search box (even something like "P" for "Paint"), I get "No items matched your search." Is that something to do with an indexing setting or did I mess up my install somehow?

edit: This is a completely new install, Ultimate 32-bit version, on an Asus 901 netbook. This is also my first time installing Windows 7 so I don't know if this is normal behavior.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

NashAsh posted:

No matter what I type in the Start Menu search box (even something like "P" for "Paint"), I get "No items matched your search." Is that something to do with an indexing setting or did I mess up my install somehow?

edit: This is a completely new install, Ultimate 32-bit version, on an Asus 901 netbook. This is also my first time installing Windows 7 so I don't know if this is normal behavior.

Do you have "Search Programs and Control Panel" ticked?

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.

Tagra posted:

Is there a way in just the base Task Manager to see which process might be leaking, or do I have to go get the program talked about in that article?

You can add the "Paged Pool" and "Nonpaged pool" columns to the "Process" tab in Task manager, although I don't think you'll notice the leak by doing this.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is anyone else having Paint slow down when you have a lot of custom colors in the pallet? Also general itunes slowness.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.

College Slice

c0burn posted:

Do you have "Search Programs and Control Panel" ticked?

I browsed through all that I guess I didn't see it the first time around. Thanks for this!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also is anyone else having a problem with downloading in Firefox? Downloads seem to "stick" until you actually click the download progress window, then they start back up again. Never happened to me in XP.

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

change my name posted:

Also is anyone else having a problem with downloading in Firefox? Downloads seem to "stick" until you actually click the download progress window, then they start back up again. Never happened to me in XP.

The only time I notice this is when I'm seeing the mini-preview from the task bar - Firefox downloads don't update in real time in the preview. If they're maximized on my desktop, I do not see anything like you describe.

Of course, it's just the preview having a problem, the download never actually stops.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

d3rt posted:

The only time I notice this is when I'm seeing the mini-preview from the task bar - Firefox downloads don't update in real time in the preview. If they're maximized on my desktop, I do not see anything like you describe.

Of course, it's just the preview having a problem, the download never actually stops.

Minimized windows do not get drawn when their content changes. For obvious reasons, the previews of these windows will also not update until you show the actual window.

Assuming change my name has the download window minimized, this is the reason for the "hang" and it isn't actually hurting download times. If the window is visible but not active, something else is going on.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nah, I mean it literally stops until you open the download window, at which points it starts again.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've started having a problem wherein my laptop's keyboard randomly stops working until I reboot. I thought it was just the keyboard itself failing because everything else on this piece of poo poo is disintegrating now that it's two weeks out of warranty, but I tried opening the onscreen keyboard and it just hangs at a blank window indefinitely, leading me to believe that the keyboard driver might be loving up. I've been running Windows 7 since January and am only just now having this problem, but the only new thing I've installed recently is Virtual Clone Drive and I don't see how that would gently caress with the keyboard drivers. Has anyone else run into this?

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

edit: I'm an idiot

Ranter fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 28, 2009

DarthDommo
Feb 5, 2003

d3rt posted:

before edit: bla bla Flash
Speaking of Flash... I never ever had a problem with it on XP in any browswer and now on Win7 64 bit it runs like complete poo poo and will take up 50% of both processors if it's anything more complicated than youtube. Goddamn that is some annoying poo poo I don't know if windows is at fault, or Flash or Firefox.

Maybe they just haven't released the "optimized" version for 7 or something.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

I get that same Flash problem. It shits me.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Flash is basically terrible

See also: Quicktime, Adobe Reader

Weedle
May 31, 2006

c0burn posted:

Flash is basically terrible

See also: Quicktime, Adobe Reader

At least those have alternatives. Don't like Adobe Reader? Install Foxit Reader. Don't like Quicktime? Install ffdshow. Don't like Flash? gently caress YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Captain Novolin posted:

Windows 7 has ruined me. I keep clicking the clock in XP trying to reach the desktop

I'm always shakin' windows and throwing them to the side to do the "snap to half the frame" thing in XP at work. gently caress I can't wait until we upgrade.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I'm always shakin' windows and throwing them to the side to do the "snap to half the frame" thing in XP at work. gently caress I can't wait until we upgrade.

I was hoping we would upgrade soonish but apparently we just placed a huge order for a whole bunch of new Dells with Vista. Also we just bought a bunch of Mac Pros with Leopard since apparently we couldn't wait for Snow Leopard either.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Flash/Quicktime/Acrobat work fine on mine. Running Win7 x64, on a SSD Acrobat loads less than a second. For Flash make sure you have the latest video drivers installed.

For NVidia based laptop video cards you can get the latest Win7 Forcewares here:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

revolther
May 27, 2008

scarymonkey posted:

Running Win7 x64, on a SSD Acrobat loads less than a second.
Dear god don't let the word get out on this or we'll never see a decent version of Acrobat.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

revolther posted:

Dear god don't let the word get out on this or we'll never see a decent version of Acrobat.

You really think that'll happen, man? Adobe is just about the worst developer ever as far as poo poo and bloat is concerned. Ever open Adobe Bridge? I said god drat.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

Tagra posted:

I went to open windows explorer and the list to the left only had "Libraries" with a magnifying glass spinning over it. No computer, no subfolders, nothing. My library folders were there, and if I right clicked explorer on the bar the jump list was there and they all opened correctly (except that the list on the left was still empty), but if I went to "computer" from any of those folders, it would lead to a blank screen and the loading bar up top would fill up and then just sit there.
I opened control panel to go look at the event viewer, and it turned out that was blank too. I could access any control panel command by searching for it in the start button, but the panel itself was blank.

This hasn't happened to me since I flattened and installed the RTM, but before that it happened occasionally. It might still happen to me eventually, who knows. Anyway, I think in my case it was related to Explorer thumbnails, and maybe specifically Haali's media splitter (x64). It seemed to happen a lot whenever I would browse folders with certain video files. Whenever it happened, I was able to kill rundll32.exe (or was it dllhost?) and everything began working again instantly.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

revolther posted:

I dunno, ever since version 7 Acrobat loads have gotten faster and faster on both the reader and pro versions. Acrobat has always been fast for me, even before I had the SSD. The things that are slow to load are understandably things like Photoshop or Illustrator, I haven't had slow Acrobats loads since version 6.

On a side note the following Firefox theme fits in pretty well with Windows 7's Aero theme:

http://arvidaxelsson.se/kempelton/

Also Windows Key ++ is my new favorite shortcut, I've been waiting for that feature ever since I saw it on OS X, though I wish I could zoom in/out with the mouse wheel like on a mac, this will be great during presentations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!

Lipstick Apathy

scarymonkey posted:

Also Windows Key ++ is my new favorite shortcut, I've been waiting for that feature ever since I saw it on OS X, though I wish I could zoom in/out with the mouse wheel like on a mac, this will be great during presentations.

I tried this for the first time when I read this and freaked myself out because it happened a few seconds after the keypress.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So whats does Windows-key ++ actually do?

(I'm on Vista)

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Vinlaen posted:

So whats does Windows-key ++ actually do?

(I'm on Vista)

Opens the Magnifier

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

On XP I used to like to create an unattend.txt file and move Documents and Settings to the D: drive, since I'm the sort of person who likes to format and reinstall occasionally, rather than bugger about, but mainly because my D: drive is my data drive and I don't want C: getting clogged up with crap.

On Vista there was an XML file you could write that was fully documented by MS, burn to the CD and, well, it doesn't work, you still end up with C:\Users

How would I go about this on Win7? I'd need to do it for both Users and ProgramData

ProgramData is the particularly annoying one here, as it means I lose all my savegames when I reinstall if I forget about it, and the folder structure is so complicated these days I can never find them again anyway.

Lum fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 28, 2009

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

The rules of the game are impenetrable and the result is always contested.

Stuntman Mike posted:

You really think that'll happen, man? Adobe is just about the worst developer ever as far as poo poo and bloat is concerned. Ever open Adobe Bridge? I said god drat.

made by goon SmileyPonderosa, mirrored on my own webspace

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

So, if my VLA already has my windows 7 key, and I have the leaked RTM, will they invalidate my VLA for installing and upgrading prior to release?

Notorious H.P.B.
Jun 19, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I'm going to a school that offers free Windows Business to its students, but I can't remember how to get to the Microsoft site that lets you tell them your school and all. What am I looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are you talking about Dreamspark?

Anyways, I have another question...

Can you access Windows 7 remotely over the web?

I'm very familiar with Remote Desktop but it's blocked at my work so I've been doing some research and it seems like two things exist:

Remote Desktop Web Connection
and
Terminal Services Web (/tsweb directory)

Are either of these available in Windows 7? Do they use regular HTTP(S)?