Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

It's funny because I know exactly the punch you're talking about. It looks hilariously bad. It looks like Sid forgot what he was doing mid-punch.

I always assumed it was Sid's way of expressing that he was gonna hit Vader really hard, but your explanation is better because it's both funnier and more likely. How do we not have a Sid-based smiley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Matlock posted:

Does anyone have video of Bob Holly pinning Chris Benoit in 1995, in a WWF dark match? I think it was on a DVD.

As far as I know, this is the only picture or video of Benoit's WWF try outs.

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you wanna see a REALLY bad worked punch, watch or FF through HBK vs Mankind at Mind Games when Sid and Vader get involved, Sid throws an incredibly bad punch at Vader that has to be seen to be believed.

Can someone post a video of this, please? I'm looking all over Youtube, but I can't find it and it sounds absolutely hilarious.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

GB888 posted:

Can someone post a video of this, please? I'm looking all over Youtube, but I can't find it and it sounds absolutely hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-l6Wxo6As&t=1955s

32:30

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".
:lol: Sid is so incredible and terrible at the same time. Thanks for finding this.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Paul Bearer going :supaburn: not long after that is great, too.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Someone mentioned that the original plan for WM13, had HBK not lost his smile, was that Bret was to catch a SCM and work it until it broke. Bret would win by stoppage.

Basically the same psychology of Austin/Hart, but differently applied.

Is this really what the plan was?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Perdido posted:

Paul Bearer going :supaburn: not long after that is great, too.

I could watch Paul giving urn shots all day. He was brilliant for just coming out of nowhere, bonk, scuttle away.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perry Normal posted:

As far as I know, this is the only picture or video of Benoit's WWF try outs.

It blows my mind that the WWF never filmed his tryout match with Owen.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They were just starting early on erasing him from history.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Not to bring this topic up again but

Halloween Jack posted:

He did say this, but I think that's a reference to his supposed reputation as a huge slut during his indie days. So he had a bunch of one-night stands and didn't call any of the ladies again, what a cad! He's had relationships within the business, but I don't know if he ever cheated. I believe there was a small thing where he was doing a radio interview and let slip some critical comments that were probably about Beth Phoenix; Beth and unfollowed he and Lita on Twitter after he appeared on Lita's show, but that doesn't mean anything happened there.

Punk is believed to have cheated on Traci Brooks and Daffney at the same time. Not sure if Traci or Daffney ever confirmed the story. It's generally regarded as true though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Dude was 5'8. What's a 5'8 guy going to do in wrestling that's impressive? Kevin Nash however does a sloppy powerbomb. Gotta film that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

Dude was 5'8. What's a 5'8 guy going to do in wrestling that's impressive? Kevin Nash however does a sloppy powerbomb. Gotta film that.

From what I remember, WWF wanted to sign him and push him (midcard push) but Benoit wanted to still work in Japan. WCW claimed they'd let him still work in Japan but it only happened in his first year. I've also heard they didn't offer him a contract but it's kind of rare for a guy to get three tryout matches, a promo and a manager without them being interested in signing him.

Benoit in mid 90s WWF would have been interesting. They worked him as a member of the Million Dollar Corporation and called him the Pegasus Kid, which I doubt would have lasted. I honestly think he would have been given a push simply for the fact the company was bone dry in 1995 on skilled guys and there was only so much they could do with Bret/Owen/HBK/Bulldog.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 17, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VogeGandire posted:

It's funny because I know exactly the punch you're talking about. It looks hilariously bad. It looks like Sid forgot what he was doing mid-punch.
I can believe that Sid would be working a match and suddenly think "Did I leave the oven on?" It was probably running through his mind right before his shin exploded.

VogeGandire posted:

I wanted to be all :smuggo: but it turns out Andy Kaufman was 6'1".

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Looks like Scott Hall is getting a new hip and whatnot. 20 days left of the fundraiser thing and it is at $83k of the $80k goal.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Neodoomium posted:

About as true as any US History book you were given in elementary school.

LordPants posted:

One of them (The WCW one?) was really, really, bad. I'm not sure how bad that one is however. But it goes doubly so for WCW stuff, they just love burying them them and rewriting history.

Yeah, I watched the Monday Night War DVD and the part about Vince Russo just appearing out of nowhere (although he was former WWF writing staff) and ruining everything sounds real fuckin' off. I think I was supposed to be watching the Rise and Fall of WCW one.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

no that's actually accurate, Vince Russo was a major part of ruining everything for WCW

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box posted:

no that's actually accurate, Vince Russo was a major part of ruining everything for WCW

I meant the part where WWE totally glossed over his former involvement with them before coming to WCW. I dunno!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Vince Russo should be sent to North Korea wearing clothes and a hat with the US flag on it.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

Vince Russo should be sent to North Korea wearing clothes and a hat with the US flag on it.

Actually, can I ask that question here? I have a general idea that he was like, a bad writer and all, but why exactly is he so hated, on a more specific level than "bringing down WCW?"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

Actually, can I ask that question here? I have a general idea that he was like, a bad writer and all, but why exactly is he so hated, on a more specific level than "bringing down WCW?"

He just had lots of awful ideas and no-one to tell him they were awful. Plus he just threw money around at anything that took his fancy.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

he's also been quoted as saying lovely things like only white people can be top stars in North America.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Ah, weird. And why does everyone hate Rob Van Dam? Any specific incidents/reasons?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

there's no big industry-wide hatred of RVD, internet fans just don't like him because he's gotten really lazy and sloppy in the past ~6 years and is basically a shell of his former self, while also not putting people over at this point in his career like he should be.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Jefferoo posted:

Ah, weird. And why does everyone hate Rob Van Dam? Any specific incidents/reasons?

Just a guy that can't work as good as he used to but still tries to work the same style he did when he could work. The guy just needs to either adapt to a slower style or hang it up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jefferoo posted:

Just marvel at this book he wrote:

"One man's journey from self-glorification to sanctification" Yeah.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

And even then, the entire book, instead of being a confession was just "IT WAS ALL NOT MY FAULT. EVERYTHING I DONE WRONG WAS ACTUALLY SOMEONE ELSE".

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ghost written by Snitski.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Robert Downey Jr. would make a pretty great Vince Russo, it looks like.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I Before E posted:

Robert Downey Jr. would make a pretty great Vince Russo, it looks like.

Kevin Corrigan would be better and cheaper, plus he has experience working with WWE Studios!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jefferoo posted:

He booked terribly misogynist stuff, like belittling Madusa for wanting to be a wrestler. He insisted that Japanese and Mexican workers could never get over, and booked the ones on his roster accordingly (Juventud Guerrera using a tequila bottle as a foreign weapon! . He booked swerves for the sake of swerves constantly, eschewing things like "logical booking" and "making money." He wanted to give Tank Abbott the WCW Championship with no build because no one would see it coming. He decided that a great way to get back at Jim Ross was to have someone come out and mock his physical disabilities. He gave David Arquette the World Championship thanks to DDP's help, which was dumb, and then had Arquette cost himself the belt and turn on DDP a couple of weeks later, which was dumber. He booked himself as the World Champion. He booked gimmick matches for no purpose and with no build. He takes credit for things he did not do. He lost $60 million in a year. He somehow was then hired by TNA and filled its early years with really stupid stuff, starting with its awful name, continuing on to

The worst is, he refuses to take responsibility for his screw-ups. He has used religion as something to hide behind rather than face the facts that he did damage to people and was, basically, a gently caress up, and instead claims he's a victim. He played a major role in the wrestling industry entering its current state of a largely unmotivated, clear-cut #1 company that has no real challengers, and played that role by not being able to write a decent story line. He may have been, as Steve Austin apparently said, someone who could contribute good ideas if he was filtered, but once he was unfiltered, the only thing that was more evident than his inability to actually be a head booker was his gigantic ego.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Grendels Dad posted:

It looks like he forgot to wipe the shaving foam from around his right ear. (Probably light or something, but still!)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I just listened to an old interview about the Junkyard Invitational. Was that a Russo? At least three people were moderately injured in that match.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think Vince Russo must have been booking just for me in WCW's dying years. I loved Arquette as champ, all the hotshotting title changes, I couldn't get enough. In my mind it was exciting, like anything could happen in WCW!

Whereas WWF was the same old stuff, Austin and Rock on top, bla bla bla. I still watched WWF all the time and hated missing a show, mind you. WCW just felt more "crazy" and unpredictable, in WWF you could see where things were going because they booked in a way that made sense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rodney the Piper posted:

The worst is, he refuses to take responsibility for his screw-ups. He has used religion as something to hide behind rather than face the facts that he did damage to people and was, basically, a gently caress up, and instead claims he's a victim. He played a major role in the wrestling industry entering its current state of a largely unmotivated, clear-cut #1 company that has no real challengers, and played that role by not being able to write a decent story line. He may have been, as Steve Austin apparently said, someone who could contribute good ideas if he was filtered, but once he was unfiltered, the only thing that was more evident than his inability to actually be a head booker was his gigantic ego.

Russo had a lot of good ideas and probably more bad ideas, but as you said his fatal flaw was his ego. He's unable to evaluate his own ideas to filter the good from the bad and he's unable to evaluate his work to learn from his mistakes.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 18, 2013

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Russo works best when he's got a strong hand to rein him in. When he's got someone who can edit his ideas and say "No, no, that's stupid." When he's got full control of storylines, things get jumbled and messed up.

I will say that with him around, everyone had something to do or a reason to feud, even if that reason was stupid.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Writer Cath posted:

Russo works best when he's got a strong hand to rein him in. When he's got someone who can edit his ideas and say "No, no, that's stupid." When he's got full control of storylines, things get jumbled and messed up.

I will say that with him around, everyone had something to do or a reason to feud, even if that reason was stupid.

If I recall correctly, when WWE brought him back in he had this big grandiose idea for a WCW invasion 2.0 and when Steph called it stupid, he pouted and went back to TNA.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really did enjoy his second (I think) book: Rope Opera: How WCW Killed Vince Russo

It's like this constant stream of excuses, about how it's not his fault things went down bro, it's the fuckin POLITICS

I wouldn't pay money for it or anything, I just enjoy insights into Russo's crazy mind. My library had it so I gave it a read.

Hearing about how he got some severe concussions during his time as WCW Champ was pretty wild.

Edit: According to Russo, he was brought in by WWE but they wanted him to work under Stephanie. He could basically see how this arrangement would be terrible, so he passed.

I don't really fault him for that, considering how the WWE creative process has worked since Stephanie took over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

It's like this constant stream of excuses, about how it's not his fault things went down bro, it's the fuckin POLITICS

Death of WCW states he blamed Turner's Standards & Practices division for his problems.