Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

On the scale of a luxury car it's a few bucks you can pass straight on to the consumer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

shovelbum posted:

On the scale of a luxury car it's a few bucks you can pass straight on to the consumer

it doesn't really work like that

if every division does this with their components you certainly cannot pass it straight on to the customer

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

When you’re already making the entire body out of aluminum, the additional cost of stainless for a stamping like that is a pittance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JnnyThndrs posted:

When you’re already making the entire body out of aluminum, the additional cost of stainless for a stamping like that is a pittance.

that's precisely why there is an unwillingness to do so!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
Anecdote: I've owned four cars with a moon roof by four different manufacturers (Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Chevy) and never had an issue.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Bought the passenger van. Minivan just wasn’t gonna cut it for our camping needs. Loving it so far.

Nov 6, 2002

Holey Moley

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Anecdote: I've owned four cars with a moon roof by four different manufacturers (Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Chevy) and never had an issue.

if we are anecdoting I have also owned an ancient Nissan moonroof, a new BMW moonroof, an old BMW moonroof, and a Ford moonroof, and none of them have leaked either despite being Japanese Chrysler, Ze Germans, and Ford.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Leaky VW roofs were a thing for decades, maybe even today.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

nm posted:

There was a recall for them in TYOOL 2018

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

Other car makers have leaks and blocked drain channels but so many VAG models also locate the ECU, fusebox or some other such part right at the lowest point of water accumulation that it seems like more than a coincidence.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Not sure wtf a moon roof is but I've had 4 cars with sun roofs and 3 of em have leaked.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Sunroof is a painted sliding panel and a moonroof is a glass sliding panel. I hate them all because I’m tall and they gently caress up my headroom.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ok then I had moonroofs then.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I never knew that and it should be the other way around if anything since a glass panel will let some light through at all times.

Nov 6, 2002

I don't think that's right.

A sunroof is any kind of glass window on the top - usually they can be opened up a couple inches on one end. A moonroof is a subcategory of sunroofs, one that specifically slides open.

At least that has always been mine understanding. Of course, googling reveals multiple interpretations!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my probably flawed understanding was that the sunroof was invented first and was naturally just a panel you could lift out or slide, allowing sun to come through the roof. then once you could get a glazed one (lets in light but not air) it got called a moonroof because the other poo poo already was named a sunroof

edit: ASC was named such before they even hosed around with glass panels

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my probably flawed understanding was that the sunroof was invented first and was naturally just a panel you could lift out or slide, allowing sun to come through the roof. then once you could get a glazed one (lets in light but not air) it got called a moonroof because the other poo poo already was named a sunroof

edit: ASC was named such before they even hosed around with glass panels

This here. To me, a sunroof was those pieces of leaky poo poo in the 80's that were basically a hole cut into the roof and a shoddily installed piece of glass that "popped up."

A moonroof is one that slides into the bodywork and is nearly completely open when retracted. They usually have the ability to pop up in the back, as well.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
If you can see glass on the top from outside the car, its a moonroof. Almost all manufactures only make moonroofs these days.

Also to add confusion, several manufacturers call their moonroofs sunroofs. Even though they are all glass.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 8, 2019

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

A sunroof is a retractable roof panel often made of the same material as the body of the car) that lets light or air into an automobile. The first cars to offer this feature were made by the Nash Motor Company in 1937. A "moonroof" is just a sultry term for a glass sunroof that lets light in while closed. According to Kelly Blue Book, the term "'moonroof' was invented by Ford marketing manager John Atkinson in 1973.

From Mental Floss magazine. I had no idea they went back that far.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Proposed Budget: $40K.
New or Used: New or pre-owned certified.
Body Style: 4-Door, station wagon, midsize or mini-SUV.
How will you be using the car? Daily driver, although we don't travel very far often.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I'm not too sure about a luxury vehicle, but I do want a car with some bells and whistles.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, reasonable amount of power, gizmos and decent reliability.
If you do not live in the U.S. I live in the US.

I've been doing a little research into a new car and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I currently drive a 2 door VW GTI and since my family is getting bigger, the GTI isn't going to work for us anymore. My wife and I really like the GTI because of how the car drives, it's quick, it has some oomph and was fairly reliable (something major pops-up every 3 years or so). I also liked that the car was fairly compact, 165.8″. It was also stupidly roomy in the trunk, since it was a hatchback, I've been looking at station wagons too. I wished when I purchased the GTI, I had more money for some tech and some other features.

I'm primarily interested in safety. I like features like lane assist, blind spot monitoring, back-up camera, per-collision breaking. Being semi compact is important as well, I live in the city and parking is terrible. I also want some "quality of life" features, power seats, moon roof, keyless start, things like that.

I've looked at the following, and interested in them in the following order...

Subaru Forester
Subaru Crosstrek
VW Alltrack
Audi Q3
VW Tiguan

Any suggestions for someone that stupidly overwhelmed?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You could get a Kia Stinger premium around that price if you don't spring for the bigger engine. Don't test drive the one with the bigger engine though because then you won't be able to go back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

You could get a Kia Stinger premium around that price if you don't spring for the bigger engine. Don't test drive the one with the bigger engine though because then you won't be able to go back.

big car though, 190"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I traded my GTI for a 2016 3-Series BMW wagon at around $30k. It's not as tossable and I miss the manual, but decently quick. It's really, really nice inside. Lots of space, but, strangely, not a lot of storage cubbies.

Edit: my mom and my cousin both had big engine problems with their Foresters. Anecdotal, I know.

My folks went with a Honda CR-V EX with the technology package that comes with remote start moon roof, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, low speed automatic braking, Android Auto/Car Play, etc. Really nice features for what they paid (slightly under $30k).

Guess the Rav4 just got a redesign that adds a lot of that stuff standard.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 8, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

big car though, 190"

I mean, 4 actually usable seats and a hatch kind of tie your hands on that. At least it's got all the safety stuff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

I mean, 4 actually usable seats and a hatch kind of tie your hands on that. At least it's got all the safety stuff.

yeah they're going to have to decide between compact and can fit the whole family easily

Civic hatchback is fairly roomy and has a lot of available tech and safety features. Supposedly they fixed the oil/gas issue.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

4 adults fit into civic/corolla/mazda3 just fine. No need to go landbarge size unless you a fat gently caress

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

4 adults fit into civic/corolla/mazda3 just fine. No need to go landbarge size unless you a fat gently caress

How are those any different from the GTI he has now?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

If you drive a GTI now, you’re never going to be able to deal with the Crosstrek’s gutlessness, trust me.

Nov 6, 2002

My wife's friend just had her old car - a Pontiac Vibe - totaled by her mother while they were on vacation. They were given a Nissan Rogue as a rental by their insurance company, and decided, without trying ANY other cars, that they liked it so much they went out and bought a 2019 Rogue. The only other car they were willing to consider, but never actually looked at was a GMC Terrain.

So, if you wondered how there were so many Rogues on the road, this is apparently how it happens.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

obi_ant posted:

I'm primarily interested in safety. I like features like lane assist, blind spot monitoring, back-up camera, per-collision breaking. Being semi compact is important as well, I live in the city and parking is terrible. I also want some "quality of life" features, power seats, moon roof, keyless start, things like that.

Maybe try test driving the Hyundai Kona? I think it's similar in size to your current vehicle. The base model alone comes with lane keep, forward collision-avoidance assist, and driver attention warning. The Limited one will get you your luxuries like power tilt-and-slide sunroof, remote keyless entry and push button start along with a few more safety pick ups.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My wife's friend just had her old car - a Pontiac Vibe - totaled by her mother while they were on vacation. They were given a Nissan Rogue as a rental by their insurance company, and decided, without trying ANY other cars, that they liked it so much they went out and bought a 2019 Rogue. The only other car they were willing to consider, but never actually looked at was a GMC Terrain.

So, if you wondered how there were so many Rogues on the road, this is apparently how it happens.

The literal only situation in which a Rogue is an upgrade from the previous car. Before the Vibe, did she drive a unicycle?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Its actually pretty amazing how much of a success story the Rogue has been for Nissan. Its not a great car in terms of durability, performance, efficence,reliablity, anything really. But it has become a huge money maker because they make them with lovely engines with a cheap CVT and cheap interior and its in the most desired class of autos (compact SUVs) and Nissan is one of the cheapest and they will finance high-risk credit buyers.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KillHour posted:

The literal only situation in which a Rogue is an upgrade from the previous car. Before the Vibe, did she drive a unicycle?

The Vibe is just as boringly fine as any other Corolla. They're all pretty old now, but they were never bad cars.

The Rogue is still an upgrade, of course. New cars are almost all really nice. It's just not worth new-car money when there are so many better options out there.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

This and that they're cheaper than the Honda/Toyota equivalents.

obi_ant posted:

Proposed Budget: $40K.
New or Used: New or pre-owned certified.
Body Style: 4-Door, station wagon, midsize or mini-SUV.
How will you be using the car? Daily driver, although we don't travel very far often.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I'm not too sure about a luxury vehicle, but I do want a car with some bells and whistles.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, reasonable amount of power, gizmos and decent reliability.
If you do not live in the U.S. I live in the US.

I've been doing a little research into a new car and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I currently drive a 2 door VW GTI and since my family is getting bigger, the GTI isn't going to work for us anymore. My wife and I really like the GTI because of how the car drives, it's quick, it has some oomph and was fairly reliable (something major pops-up every 3 years or so). I also liked that the car was fairly compact, 165.8″. It was also stupidly roomy in the trunk, since it was a hatchback, I've been looking at station wagons too. I wished when I purchased the GTI, I had more money for some tech and some other features.

I've looked at the following, and interested in them in the following order...

Subaru Forester
Subaru Crosstrek
VW Alltrack
Audi Q3
VW Tiguan

Subaru Outback? It's not that much bigger than the Forester.

Uthor posted:

Edit: my mom and my cousin both had big engine problems with their Foresters. Anecdotal, I know.

If it was oil consumption, there was a class action lawsuit over it. My Outback was affected.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mariooncrack posted:

If it was oil consumption, there was a class action lawsuit over it. My Outback was affected.

Mom, not sure. It was burning oil like nothing else. I know they had the engine out once or twice. It was showing symptoms of the issue even after all that (really rough idle, running loud) when they traded it in.

Cousin, she said it was head gaskets. But, not sure if that was a symptom of something else.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

If you drive a GTI now, you’re never going to be able to deal with the Crosstrek’s gutlessness, trust me.

My friend is trying to convince me that it's not that bad. He going to let me borrow it for a week. I fear this from the Crosstrek and the Q3.

mariooncrack posted:

Subaru Outback? It's not that much bigger than the Forester.

The Forester is sorta long too, at 182.1", the Outback is longer at 189.6". I know I'm not going to find anything closer to the 165.8″ my GTI offers, but the difference is pretty significant.

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

Maybe try test driving the Hyundai Kona? I think it's similar in size to your current vehicle. The base model alone comes with lane keep, forward collision-avoidance assist, and driver attention warning. The Limited one will get you your luxuries like power tilt-and-slide sunroof, remote keyless entry and push button start along with a few more safety pick ups.

Thanks. I'll take a look, although as of right now, that interior doesn't look pretty.

Uthor posted:

I traded my GTI for a 2016 3-Series BMW wagon at around $30k. It's not as tossable and I miss the manual, but decently quick. It's really, really nice inside. Lots of space, but, strangely, not a lot of storage cubbies.

My folks went with a Honda CR-V EX with the technology package that comes with remote start moon roof, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, low speed automatic braking, Android Auto/Car Play, etc. Really nice features for what they paid (slightly under $30k).

Guess the Rav4 just got a redesign that adds a lot of that stuff standard.

I remember you from the comic threads and your icon. We were GTI bros...

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Looking to get a new car. I have a Mazda 3 that's a bit beat up and was kind of a "fresh out of college" nice, cheap, daily driver purchase. Now I'm married, have a house and my wife and I are doing a lot of renovation and just all around needing something larger than a car or CR-V for transporting stuff. We also like to go camping and live pretty close to several lakes and (very large) rivers so a boat in the future isn't out of the question.

From what I can tell, this might be a good time to buy a truck. Despite interest rates ticking upwards it seems like there's quite a lot 0% and <1% incentives going on for various year old models (Silverado 1500, Sierra, etc.)

It's really hard to take a step back and determine what the best deal is because I don't really understand a ton of these terms (cash back allowance, I'm looking at you). I have effectively no brand loyalty (I mean, I do like my Mazda but realistically I wouldn't be able to tow much unless I got the 2019 CX-5 with the turbo option), I just want something with a crew cab that isn't $45-60k

Any suggestions?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

Looking to get a new car. I have a Mazda 3 that's a bit beat up and was kind of a "fresh out of college" nice, cheap, daily driver purchase. Now I'm married, have a house and my wife and I are doing a lot of renovation and just all around needing something larger than a car or CR-V for transporting stuff. We also like to go camping and live pretty close to several lakes and (very large) rivers so a boat in the future isn't out of the question.

From what I can tell, this might be a good time to buy a truck. Despite interest rates ticking upwards it seems like there's quite a lot 0% and <1% incentives going on for various year old models (Silverado 1500, Sierra, etc.)

It's really hard to take a step back and determine what the best deal is because I don't really understand a ton of these terms (cash back allowance, I'm looking at you). I have effectively no brand loyalty (I mean, I do like my Mazda but realistically I wouldn't be able to tow much unless I got the 2019 CX-5 with the turbo option), I just want something with a crew cab that isn't $45-60k

Any suggestions?
What's your use case for getting a truck besides towing a boat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

My friend is trying to convince me that it's not that bad. He going to let me borrow it for a week. I fear this from the Crosstrek and the Q3.

I had one for three years and while it was a fine vehicle if you care about power at all it really is that bad. Your friend is probably just used to it. Nice of him to let you borrow it though!