Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

LOO posted:

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) is banned at my work place. We use MPK (Methyl Propyl Ketone) It's not as good, but apparently less dangerous.

We use MEK to clean molds. Fun stuff when it melts your gloves. Smells nice too.

The stuff we use for the gel isn't as fun though, if you don't have your ears covered it will build up in your ear canal until you go deaf. And it's sprayed on the mold.

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

frozenphil posted:

Jesus! How fast were you going and how big was this "bump"? I mean, those parts on that kind of truck are usually beefy as hell.

100Km/h or less. After we got into Ft. Nelson we saw that the boat trailer tire was shredded a bit as it was a retread, tossed on the spare. We checked all the tire pressure while gassing up, that tire had dropped to 40psi, so we got it back inflated and found no issues with how the truck drove before we left town. Then a couple hours later the wheel drat near came off

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jusupov posted:

We use MEK to clean molds. Fun stuff when it melts your gloves. Smells nice too.

The stuff we use for the gel isn't as fun though, if you don't have your ears covered it will build up in your ear canal until you go deaf. And it's sprayed on the mold.

We use MEK as a printer solvent - fun fact, it's a constantly circulating ink stream, so the solvent evaporates continuously when the printers on, whether or not it's printing :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is mostly hypothetical, so it's more of a picture request.

Has anyone ever tried unmatched heads/rods/pistons on different banks? I was sitting around thinking about if you could swap one head of a boxer motor with a lower compression head, and turbo that side only. That seems like it would present the fewest balance issues.
Then I wondered if you could weight the crank to account for different pistons/conrods on one side. I'm not sure if that'd work at all for a V engine, but maybe?

e: this is presuming a decent amount of tuning work to get both banks to still fire correctly, etc.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 20, 2010

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Saab had a turbo v6, that had a turbocharger on one bank, feeding the whole engine. The bank without the turbo had a specially setup exahust restrictor to help things run smoother.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

MrChips posted:

Although this isn't duct tape as you know it - it's made of aluminum for one, and the adhesive is extremely strong (and waterproof). In the industry, it's known as speed tape (or 600 mph tape, as it's supposedly good up to that airspeed).

Speed tape is good poo poo. Sadly my stockpile from before Grumman laid everyone off is just about gone.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Skyssx posted:

That aluminum tape is also available about anywhere. Great for sealing the take down seams on UAVs to decrease drag.

Not all aluminium tapes are made equal. :colbert: MacTac won't seal poo poo on an airplane - does great on vapour seals for ductwork.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Browsing Youtube for rod knock videos I heard this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGCJoWrwV0

:froggonk:

That sounded almost like a jackhammer. That poor engine's not long for this world.

Krizematik
Oct 20, 2009

...Shiny!
I think this constitutes as a failure:

Yesterday (6/29/10) A crane working on building a bridge across the Chena River in Fairbanks Alaska fell into the river, no one was hurt. These are photos my girlfriend took:

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

For more information, check out:http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/8088573/article-Barnette-Street-bridge-crane-topples-across-Chena-River-?instance=home_lead_story

My favorite exert from the article: "“I was running on Cushman Street, and I heard a loud boom,” said a man watching from a hill above the construction site. He would only give his name as William. “I said, ‘What is that?’ I thought it was something like a terrorist attack."

Fairbanks never ceases to amaze me.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Hahaha, a loud boom. :haw:

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Krizematik posted:

My favorite exert from the article: "“I was running on Cushman Street, and I heard a loud boom,” said a man watching from a hill above the construction site. He would only give his name as William. “I said, ‘What is that?’ I thought it was something like a terrorist attack."

Fairbanks never ceases to amaze me.

Yep June 1942, Never Forget
:fsmug:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Horrible stereotype failure:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10475343.stm

BBC posted:

An Arcadia shopping centre spokeswoman said an elderly lady had been driving the car, but the Met is yet to confirm who was in the vehicle when it crashed.

quote:

Referring to the driver, the shopping centre spokeswoman said: "She was parking and thought she'd hit the brake but hit the accelerator.

"She thought the brakes had failed and hit the accelerator again and careered through the wall."

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

InitialDave posted:

Horrible stereotype failure:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10475343.stm

I'm missing the stereotype, but I'm also retarded... Also, there IS a parking lot up there right? This would be much funnier if not...

Edit: I assume it is the "elderly woman hitting the gas instead of the brake" stereotype... Or just old people cant drive in general...

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 1, 2010

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Fermunky posted:

I'm missing the stereotype, but I'm also retarded... Also, there IS a parking lot up there right? This would be much funnier if not...

Edit: I assume it is the "elderly woman hitting the gas instead of the brake" stereotype... Or just old people cant drive in general...

That would be correct, and if it were a Toyota, unintended acceleration stereotype comes into play.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

InitialDave posted:

careered through the wall

I guess in this economy you've gotta take work wherever you find it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

frozenphil posted:

I guess in this economy you've gotta take work wherever you find it.

Are you kidding? After she sues, she'll be able to retire. If you're gonna have a carpark on a building's roof, you probably should have a reenforced wall or something! :v: (I'm joking)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm pretty sure it was a joke about the use of the word "careered" instead of "careened."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Godholio posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a joke about the use of the word "careered" instead of "careened."
Etymologically speaking it's not technically wrong, but Phil's still right. Especially given that careening is also a term for when you're deliberately running a ship aground...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Godholio posted:

While not the word I would have picked, it's not incorrect.

quote:

intr.v. ca·reered, ca·reer·ing, ca·reers
To move or run at full speed; rush.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I never said it was incorrect, I just made a lovely economy joke. loving goons, always over thinking poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

frozenphil posted:

I never said it was incorrect, I just made a lovely economy joke. loving goons, always over thinking poo poo.

Jerking off to the nerdbook is always the best.

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

Fun fact: The vehicle this came out of came into the shop under its own power. Didn't sound that bad either, all things considered.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

akeidolon posted:

Fun fact: The vehicle this came out of came into the shop under its own power. Didn't sound that bad either, all things considered.

It must have been a non interference motor

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

You Am I posted:

It must have been a non interference motor

A broken cam is what originally retired my '67 Mustang to the garage many years ago. It still ran fine and made no strange noises, it was just really down on power. Sometimes you just get lucky with where the valves come to rest I guess.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

akeidolon posted:

How the hell do you break a cam shaft? Or would that be simply from a casting flaw?

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005

ExtremeODD posted:

How the hell do you break a cam shaft? Or would that be simply from a casting flaw?

Been wondering the same thing: it's not like a camshaft transmits power to a gear on the other end, putting it under intense torsional force.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Jeece posted:

Been wondering the same thing: it's not like a camshaft transmits power to a gear on the other end, putting it under intense torsional force.

Most common cause of failure in metal, bending. Not saying that is the answer to this scenario, just something to consider.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Jeece posted:

It has relatively large intermittent torsional loads due to opening and closing the valves though. I'd guess it was a flaw in the metal that caused that one to break, unless it's on an engine that is notorious for cam snap failures.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

LloydDobler posted:

It has relatively large intermittent torsional loads due to opening and closing the valves though. I'd guess it was a flaw in the metal that caused that one to break, unless it's on an engine that is notorious for cam snap failures.

Also, if you have a journal larger than the rest, then that can cause it flex a bit as it rotates since it doesn't have the proper support in that area.

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

frozenphil posted:

A broken cam is what originally retired my '67 Mustang to the garage many years ago. It still ran fine and made no strange noises, it was just really down on power. Sometimes you just get lucky with where the valves come to rest I guess.

Haha, that's about the right vintage, maybe even same kind of engine? The cam is out of the 360 from a '68 Ford F-100 Ranger. Speculation is that a backfire caused some things to be where they shouldn't resulting in the break, I don't know if that is possible or not. My little brother had been driving it a bit and didn't give it enough choke while it was cold, and the failure became evident shortly after his abuse.

At any rate, the truck's new owner is dumping a big block into it, and I'm going to make use of the 360 (with a new cam, of course) and C6 out of the truck in my Country Squire since I don't have the funds or inclination right now to rebuild the 390 and Cruise-o-matic that have been sitting in it for the 30ish years it sat.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

akeidolon posted:

Haha, that's about the right vintage, maybe even same kind of engine? The cam is out of the 360 from a '68 Ford F-100 Ranger. Speculation is that a backfire caused some things to be where they shouldn't resulting in the break, I don't know if that is possible or not. My little brother had been driving it a bit and didn't give it enough choke while it was cold, and the failure became evident shortly after his abuse.

At any rate, the truck's new owner is dumping a big block into it, and I'm going to make use of the 360 (with a new cam, of course) and C6 out of the truck in my Country Squire since I don't have the funds or inclination right now to rebuild the 390 and Cruise-o-matic that have been sitting in it for the 30ish years it sat.

Nah, the 360 is an FE engine that was introduced in '68. Mine has a little Windsor 289 K-code.

The 360 is just a de-stroked 390. You can swap 390 internals into it and have yourself a 390. If you want to get crazy, take the block to your machine shop and see if there is enough material to accommodate a .080" overbore. A few 360/390 blocks slipped out with enough core shift in the casting to allow this. If so, you can make your 360 a 427. :cool:

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Nah, the 360 is an FE engine that was introduced in '68. Mine has a little Windsor 289 K-code.

The 360 is just a de-stroked 390. You can swap 390 internals into it and have yourself a 390. If you want to get crazy, take the block to your machine shop and see if there is enough material to accommodate a .080" overbore. A few 360/390 blocks slipped out with enough core shift in the casting to allow this. If so, you can make your 360 a 427. :cool:

Hmm... Makes me curious how the guts of the 390 look. It was noisy as hell when we ran it, definitely has issues in the top end, not sure what the bottom looks like though. I need to learn more about FE engines apparently and see what kind of Frankenstein I can cobble together.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

DELETED posted:

Also, if you have a journal larger than the rest, then that can cause it flex a bit as it rotates since it doesn't have the proper support in that area.
Also not helping is camshafts are hard, brittle hard. I used to work in an auto parts store, standard practice was to have a look at a cam shaft when it was received or sold, I have seen a couple come from the warehouse broken in the box.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I saw photos of a crank that snapped in a similar manner and the conrod held it together. The car made the return trip of about 80 freeway miles without letting go completely and it was still held firmly together when they dropped the sump.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

ExtremeODD posted:

My Miata did that exact same thing. I changed the camshaft and kept driving it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Click here for the full 1200x632 image.

Click here for the full 1200x393 image.

Click here for the full 1200x610 image.

The awesome crack on my engine block....Big hole on the left is oil return, center hole is headbolt hole, left hole is coolant jacket....

ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 9, 2010

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Oil in the head bolt hole when you torqued down the bolt?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpotato posted:

Oil in the head bolt hole when you torqued down the bolt?

No, that is from the coolant and oil flowing into the bolt hole when the engine was running. That was before the crack fully developed and caused hell on earth. What pissed me off was the fact that when I was putting the headgasket on, it WASN'T there, and I had tapped all the bolt holes to clean them out, they were clean and dry

Oh well, got a new block. Going to take the old block to the machine shop and we are going to take a crack at welding it

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 9, 2010

Acknot
Mar 18, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Saab had a turbo v6, that had a turbocharger on one bank, feeding the whole engine. The bank without the turbo had a specially setup exahust restrictor to help things run smoother.

I remember this engine; I always thought is smelled like a cost saving exercise. Did it work as intended? Did'nt it have different compression ratios as well? These days when you have production high compression forced induction engines, does'nt it make the whole exercise a bit pointless?

I've always wondered about the boost vs compression discussions; surely it would be best to have both? (Kinda O/T I guess but I guess some of the content here was generated this way...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Hopefully I can get pics later, but my friends just had a good one. A few months back they lost control and slid the front passenger wheel into the curb. I was going to follow them to a shop tonight to get it fixed. As they were backing out of the driveway, there was a loud pop, the wheel lurched forward and broke the plastic cladding around the wheel well. Turns out the A arm was cracked and snapped when my friend turned the wheel at the end of the driveway. The arm snapped and started rotating away from the fram so it yanked the axle out and shot lovely yellow grease all over everything. The stance of the Element is hilarious when the front wheel is several inches forward.