Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
what about the beatles besides "revolution 9" and maybe "tomorrow never knows" or "a day in the life" can remotely be called that

they got comparatively artsy but they weren't the velvet underground or the mothers of invention, the most you can say is that their catchy pop stopped being just catchy (and i don't mean this as an insult, abbey road is a bona-fide Great Album and sgt. pepper's is a milestone for sound engineering if nothing else)

i don't at all agree with the contrarian piero scaruffi types about the beatles being a bunch of lucky hacks but you have to remember that most of what they brought to the mainstream was brought from other people

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i don't at all agree with the contrarian piero scaruffi types about the beatles being a bunch of lucky hacks but you have to remember that most of what they brought to the mainstream was brought from other people

literally everything that exists today is building on prior something, yes

"i don't believe in beatles, i just believe in me"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
james bond hates the beatles

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

mcnealys baby posted:

literally everything that exists today is building on prior something, yes

"i don't believe in beatles, i just believe in me"
creation and synthesis are discrete concepts hth

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Roughly 38.7% of the tracks on the album are less than one minute long, the longest song being 4 minutes and 16 seconds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

roughly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it also bugs the hell out of me when articles write things like "the event has taken place more than four times"

just say five holy poo poo

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

Sham bam bamina! posted:

have you seen a funny page in the past twenty years

like even in a waiting room or something

20 probably, 10 maybe, 5 probably not

at least not one with garfield

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what about the beatles besides "revolution 9" and maybe "tomorrow never knows" or "a day in the life" can remotely be called that

they got comparatively artsy but they weren't the velvet underground or the mothers of invention, the most you can say is that their catchy pop stopped being just catchy (and i don't mean this as an insult, abbey road is a bona-fide Great Album and sgt. pepper's is a milestone for sound engineering if nothing else)

im not saying they invented modern music, jeez. im saying they were the mainstream face of the movement, because they came to prominence as a lovely boy band for children. then they started making the same kind of music that the doors and the beach boys were and it spread really far because of that. they are not the best or the first but they are by far the most important. also if you dont think what they (60s bands) were doing was revolutionary in the context of a world where johnny b goode was considered radical, fearsome music then lollllllll

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

im not saying they invented modern music, jeez. im saying they were the mainstream face of the movement, because they came to prominence as a lovely boy band for children. then they started making the same kind of music that the doors and the beach boys were and it spread really far because of that. they are not the best or the first but they are by far the most important. also if you dont think what they (60s bands) were doing was revolutionary in the context of a world where johnny b goode was considered radical, fearsome music then lollllllll
oh never mind then, sorry for misunderstanding your point

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I don't think johnny b goode was revolutionary, but I read that people rioted because of link wray.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

have you seen a funny page in the past twenty years

like even in a waiting room or something

lol if u looked at the funny pages after calvin and hobbes stopped

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

prefect posted:

I don't think johnny b goode was revolutionary, but I read that people rioted because of link wray.

the song in and of itself? no. the important bit is that chuck berry (a black man) performed it on tv for white audiences and that was a real first at the time

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I went to wikipedia to look at sweet pics of grey aliens

"A CGI generated rendering of two Greys."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Aa_2greyaliens.jpg

this is what I got

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
In May 2013, Broken Road Productions optioned Grumpy Cat for a "Garfield-like feature film" adaptation.[9][19][50][51] Producer Todd Garner said "We think we can build a big family comedy around this character."[19]

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ugh just imagine what the loving voice will sound like

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Bomberman Jetters, often abbreviated as "BMJ" by fans, is a series of products based on the popular Bomberman video game series created by Hudson Soft.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Internet meme

After assuming the office of Prosecutor of Crimea on 11 March 2014, Poklonskaya held a press conference later that day.[9] Poklonskaya soon caught attention on the Internet because of her particular attractiveness.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

jesus loving christ

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
oh god it's so much worse

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
why are internet people such loving creeps

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

pretty sure some people evenin the pics thread here had a little boner session over the image

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

there's a fuckng subreddit and someone there was asking about body pillows

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah yeah i know trap sprung

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

pretty sure some people evenin the pics thread here had a little boner session over the image

yep goons

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

nothing like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petz

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
His name is derived from Isaac Asimov's Lucky Starr series and the "Lone Star State" of Texas, as well as being a parody on the last names of the two heroes of Star Wars, Solo (Lone) and Skywalker (Star). He hails from the Ford Galaxy, in reference to Harrison Ford (who played Han Solo), and also a play on the Ford Galaxie, a car made by the Ford Motor Company.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
The show follows crime-busting mouse reggae band Da Easy Crew, who split their time between making music and solving mysteries for Da President of Mouseland.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

prefect posted:

His name is derived from Isaac Asimov's Lucky Starr series and the "Lone Star State" of Texas, as well as being a parody on the last names of the two heroes of Star Wars, Solo (Lone) and Skywalker (Star). He hails from the Ford Galaxy, in reference to Harrison Ford (who played Han Solo), and also a play on the Ford Galaxie, a car made by the Ford Motor Company.

nerds overthink poo poo, news at eleven

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

Nelson MandEULA posted:

The show follows crime-busting mouse reggae band Da Easy Crew, who split their time between making music and solving mysteries for Da President of Mouseland.

cheese = weed

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i'm the notebook paper

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
we could just replace this thread with a link to wikipedia main page, they're p much doing our job for us

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Soricidus posted:

we could just replace this thread with a link to wikipedia main page, they're p much doing our job for us
the featured article today is worthless but the featured picture is doing a good job of making up for it :eyepop:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
Until 2010, Garuda sponsors the Indonesian Robotic Olympiad, a regional version of the World Robot Olympiad, where the winning teams receive free flights towards the location of the World Robot Olympiad. Garuda Indonesia still sponsors each Indonesian teams for the World Robot Olympiad

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Acne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Russia_national_football_team

Appearances
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 23, 2014