Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Another form of camping, typically found in large-scale deathmatch games with large open maps such as Halo, Battlefield and Call of Duty, is called sniping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:aaaaa:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameplay_of_Pok%C3%A9mon

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2CuhtuwV2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R__IgzGKGw

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

A Pokémon's Type (タイプ taipu?) is an elemental attribute determining the strengths and weaknesses of each Pokémon and their moves

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The main theme song to the movie is the "Digi Rap", a remixed and re-working of the theme song from the TV series'. The track is performed by M.C. Pea Pod & Paul Gordon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE2myLCpNnY
thanks MC Pea Pod

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
612 wharf avenue

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Additionally an important distinction on its naming is that Frostbite 2 is not called Frostbite 2.0.[8]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Soricidus posted:

Additionally an important distinction on its naming is that Frostbite 2 is not called Frostbite 2.0.[8]
the names are italicized on the original page which is even funnier

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
History [edit]

In the game, players are designated by two alphanumeric characters, where the first character represents the team and the second letter represents the individual designation of that player. There are four teams, Federation, Klingon, Romulan, and Orion, identified as F, K, R, and O, and 16 player slots, numbered 0-9 and then a-f (hexadecimal numbering). Thus, for example, a player on the Federation team in the 11th of the 16 player slots would be designated "Fb" (FED or Federation team, player B), or a player in the first slot who was playing on the Romulan team would be "R0" (ROM or Romulan team, player 0). There were four "reserved" slots that could only be used by local administrators, identified with g-j (these have since been reallocated for use by observers who wish to watch the game). While the game has four teams, normally only two are used at a time, with the unused teams' planets being used as part of the playing field.

During a full game on a Netrek server at CMU during the 1990-91 school year, a member of the Federation team, Stephen Russell (callsign Feakhelek), was heading into Romulan space to capture a planet. The server administrator, Terence Chang, came in on the first reserved slot on the otherwise-empty Orion team, thus being designated as "Og". Instead of engaging in a dogfight, Chang charged in suicidally, failing to kill the Federation ship but leaving it badly damaged. When Og re-spawned, and again charged the now-crippled ship, the Fed player shouted to other people in the workstation cluster, "Help, it's oh-gee!", followed by cries of "It's ogg! It's ogg! Help!". The second suicide attack worked, prompting the Fed player to broadcast "Arrrgh, I was Og'ed" on the in-game message system.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

...other tahn my posting

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

History [edit]

In the game, players are designated by two alphanumeric characters, where the first character represents the team and the second letter represents the individual designation of that player. There are four teams, Federation, Klingon, Romulan, and Orion, identified as F, K, R, and O, and 16 player slots, numbered 0-9 and then a-f (hexadecimal numbering). Thus, for example, a player on the Federation team in the 11th of the 16 player slots would be designated "Fb" (FED or Federation team, player B), or a player in the first slot who was playing on the Romulan team would be "R0" (ROM or Romulan team, player 0). There were four "reserved" slots that could only be used by local administrators, identified with g-j (these have since been reallocated for use by observers who wish to watch the game). While the game has four teams, normally only two are used at a time, with the unused teams' planets being used as part of the playing field.

During a full game on a Netrek server at CMU during the 1990-91 school year, a member of the Federation team, Stephen Russell (callsign Feakhelek), was heading into Romulan space to capture a planet. The server administrator, Terence Chang, came in on the first reserved slot on the otherwise-empty Orion team, thus being designated as "Og". Instead of engaging in a dogfight, Chang charged in suicidally, failing to kill the Federation ship but leaving it badly damaged. When Og re-spawned, and again charged the now-crippled ship, the Fed player shouted to other people in the workstation cluster, "Help, it's oh-gee!", followed by cries of "It's ogg! It's ogg! Help!". The second suicide attack worked, prompting the Fed player to broadcast "Arrrgh, I was Og'ed" on the in-game message system.

wtf

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flakeloaf posted:

And this is why tumblr is blackholed here.

Because you're a nerd?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This style of music is sometimes used to comedic effect in mass media such as film, where intense or dramatic scenes may be interrupted or interspersed with such anodyne music while characters use an elevator (e.g. The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, The Blues Brothers, Dawn of the Dead, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Spider-Man 2).

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Men-Children between Seven "Years and Seventeen shall have a Bow and 2 Shafts".

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

"Battle Frontier" redirects here. For other uses, see Battlefront (disambiguation).

Double Battles (ダブルバトル Daburu Batoru?), Triple Battles (トリプルバトル Toripuru Batoru?), Rotation Battles (ローテーションバトル Rōtēshon Batoru?), Sky Battles (スカイバトル Sukai Batoru?)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Smart Car posted:

Daburu Batoru
Toripuru Batoru
Rōtēshon Batoru
Sukai Batoru

these things all sound like super-racist impressions of how japanese people talk

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

these things all sound like super-racist impressions of how japanese people talk

Welcome to Japanese loadwords. They are always increds.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

sumutsingu arufuru

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

sumutsingu arufuru

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War_II
wikipedia wasted no time

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Smart Car posted:

"Battle Frontier" redirects here. For other uses, see Battlefront (disambiguation).

Double Battles (ダブルバトル Daburu Batoru?), Triple Battles (トリプルバトル Toripuru Batoru?), Rotation Battles (ローテーションバトル Rōtēshon Batoru?), Sky Battles (スカイバトル Sukai Batoru?)

Suspicious Dish posted:

Welcome to Japanese loadwords. They are always increds.

how did japan not have a word for "battle" before Western contact

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

hmmry you're packled not the peckler

oh well still posting

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Pakled posted:

they did but japan has a weird hard-on for foreign (especially english) words

just take it in

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

japan thinks english is really cool that they shove it in everything. gives it a certain je ne sais quoi, if you will. they of course have a word for "battle", but the english loanword is really cool so why would you use the old crufty word

and then at the end you end up with this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Suspicious Dish posted:

japan thinks english is really cool that they shove it in everything. gives it a certain je ne sais quoi, if you will. they of course have a word for "battle", but the english loanword is really cool so why would you use the old crufty word

and then at the end you end up with this

okay, that's pretty awesome

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

thats what ogg files are named after

yes really

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so where did "theora" come from

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lutha Mahtin posted:

thats what ogg files are named after

yes really

i had read it was from nanny ogg in the discworld books

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

haveblue posted:

my money's on max headroom

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_%28TV_series%29#Theora_Jones

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
exquisitor vorbis + ogging, not nanny ogg

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

amanda pays :swoon:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

amanda pays :swoon:

ah

does she? does she?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Your generation has Amanda Pays. My generation has Amanda Please. #only90skidswillgetthis

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

Necc0 posted:

'oh hey i haven't checked out the worthless wikipedia thread in a while'
*clicks last page*
*scrolls down furiously*
'haha cool. that was awesome to open at work. great. fantastic.'

you could try working instead

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
not wikipedia but holy poo poo

quote:

zerbert
The other definitions have the right meaning (a sloppy kiss where you blow, making a farting sound,) but this spelling and pronunciation have diverged from the original, and should be considered incorrect.

This word was first introduced on "The Cosby Show", (Season 2, Episode 11) and explicitly spelled out "ZRBTT". It was also clearly pronounced without the final "r" sound given here. It was spelled repeatedly by several characters. The subtitles as aired on the show spelled it "Zurbitt" when Bill Cosby was pronouncing it as if it were a real word. Part of the joke of this word is that it's a nonsense spelling without vowels.

In the episode, Vanessa was practicing for a spelling test, and Rudy kept interrupting, asking what a series of nonsense letters spelled. The following, including spelling, is taken from the subtitles as transmitted.
Rudy: Vanessa, what does "Q-N-G-H" spell?

Vanessa: Nothing. Give me another word.

Rudy: What does "Z-R-B-T-T" spell?

Vanessa: Nothing!

Rudy: How come when you spell it's a word and when I spell it it's nothing?

Vanessa: Dad, I'm studying very hard for the spelling test, and she keeps asking dumb questions.

Cliff: I don't think anybody asks dumb questions. What's your problem?

Rudy: What does "Z-R-B-T-T" spell?

Cliff: "Z-R-B-T-T" spell? Uh... That's zurbitt. Zurbitt... uh.. You know what I think a zurbitt is? I just remembered. A zurbitt is this:

(makes zrbtt on Rudy's cheek.)

(UrbanDictionary forces me to include the misspelling "zerbert" here.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

you could try working instead

why?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The final boss is the opponent that is usually at the end of the game. They are usually the main antagonists of the game. Final bosses usually have their own special music tracks that are more dramatic than the music for the other bosses, and some final battles have the main theme of the game. The final boss is often fought during the final level, and after its defeat often is the end of the game. The levels they inhabit are usually heavily guarded by smaller enemies, making the route to the final boss difficult. Minibosses may be encountered en route to the final boss. It may also be that the final boss appears after the completion of additional levels, or after finding a few items and the hero gains a stronger form and fights with the true final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

usually