Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Can anyone recommend any documentaries regarding historic/extraordinary volcano eruptions/similar disasters, i.e. anything covering Mount St. Helens and such?

I recall seeing an age-old excerpt from a documentary regarding some volcano on an island with an army or air force base that slowly evacuated, with a skeleton crew of scientists staying behind and recording the event, but don't remember the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's not quite what you're asking for, but Herzog did a good one called La Soufriere but that's about a volcano that didn't end up erupting.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Can anyone recommend any documentaries regarding historic/extraordinary volcano eruptions/similar disasters, i.e. anything covering Mount St. Helens and such?

I recall seeing an age-old excerpt from a documentary regarding some volcano on an island with an army or air force base that slowly evacuated, with a skeleton crew of scientists staying behind and recording the event, but don't remember the name.

There was a good PBS Nova episode on Mt. St. Helens around 5 years or so ago. It focused more on how the area around the volcano rebounded after the eruption but is still quite interesting: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/mt-st-helens.html Not sure it's still available to watch online free, sadly. :(

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Does anyone have any good recommends for movies featuring some good material on women in hip hop?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't know what documentary you saw, but the eruption you're referring to would almost certainly have been the Mount Pinatubo eruption in 1991.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

Does anyone have any good recommends for movies featuring some good material on women in hip hop?

No personal experience (just don't have time to watch all the Documentaries in my que) but there is
THE REVIVAL
B-Girl Be: A Celebration of Women in Hip Hop
MC Lyte: Lyte Years
Miss MC: Women in Rap
My Mic Sounds Nice: A Truth About Women in Hip Hop
Nobody Knows My Name
Say My Name
Sisters in the Name of Rap

Where to watch them might be more difficult.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bad Rap also features Awkwafina, although it's more about Asians in hip hop and she just happens to be a woman. Based on her material, that aspect is likely to come up though.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Raxivace posted:

It's not quite what you're asking for, but Herzog did a good one called La Soufriere but that's about a volcano that didn't end up erupting.

Herzog has a new documentary coming out sometime soon about active volcanoes this year actually. It's called Into The Inferno.

Imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846318/

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Herzog eats his shoe and Burden of Dreams are so good. You get a lot of great Herzog moments and see how insane that shoot was. Herzog eats is shoe is just another example of the lengths that he will go to when it comes to his word. If he says he is going to do it, if will happen.

Special Kei
May 13, 2009
Adam Curtis as a new documentary coming out in a few weeks. HyperNormalisation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/corporate2/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/adam-curtis-hypernormalisation

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Cool, I love me some Adam Curtis.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Will definitely watch that as soon as it's released, but LOL at how the description reads like it was output by an Adam Curtis script bot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cloudchamber posted:

Will definitely watch that as soon as it's released, but LOL at how the description reads like it was output by an Adam Curtis script bot.

CTRL+F = "those in power"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone else watched the Amanda Knox documentary on Netflix yet? It's very well done. Add Perugia, Italy to the list of places to never be arrested.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sportsgenius86 posted:

Anyone else watched the Amanda Knox documentary on Netflix yet? It's very well done. Add Perugia, Italy to the list of places to never be arrested.

Honestly after watching The Jinx and Making a Murdered I kind of felt that it was poo poo. It was beautifully shot, but I think the interviewee subjects were too few (and the journalist guy was just there to be "hey look we're essentially tabloids" for an hour and a half). And I didn't feel like it delved deep into the evidence and its details even close enough at all.

It just felt too loose and not nearly tightly enough structured to be compelling. Both my wife and I were really let down.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Honestly after watching The Jinx and Making a Murdered I kind of felt that it was poo poo. It was beautifully shot, but I think the interviewee subjects were too few (and the journalist guy was just there to be "hey look we're essentially tabloids" for an hour and a half). And I didn't feel like it delved deep into the evidence and its details even close enough at all.

It just felt too loose and not nearly tightly enough structured to be compelling. Both my wife and I were really let down.

I can see that. They definitely could have used additional subjects. I would've liked to hear from family members of Knox's. I just don't think there's a ton of depth to the case, to be honest. It seems pretty clear it was Guede and it seems pretty clear that the investigator wanted it to be Knox and Sollecito, even though it wasn't. Nobody really had a reason to have done anything they did, so it's really hard to expand upon.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sportsgenius86 posted:

I can see that. They definitely could have used additional subjects. I would've liked to hear from family members of Knox's. I just don't think there's a ton of depth to the case, to be honest. It seems pretty clear it was Guede and it seems pretty clear that the investigator wanted it to be Knox and Sollecito, even though it wasn't. Nobody really had a reason to have done anything they did, so it's really hard to expand upon.

I agree with the motivations, but I think they could have gone into a bit more detail on the evidence overall. I like technical stuff like that and it seems like it was just "and then they found a knife with everyone's DNA on it and sure that was the weapon - oops nevermind turns out they probably jumped the gun on that. Oh hey by the way Guede's DNA was everywhere."

Like... go in depth about that poo poo. Go more in depth to Guede as a person. And what of him was found in there (they marked like 8 spots around the room... what were those?). It just seemed really light on the details that *actually really mattered.*

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is that weird tickling doc gonna be available anywhere anytime soon? Seems interesting enough and there's a lot of buzz around it but it's not in theaters or on demand anywhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The theatrical run finished a while back, was limited as you can expect. Hopefully that means VOD and similar isn't too far off, as yeah - it was really good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Stare-Out posted:

Is that weird tickling doc gonna be available anywhere anytime soon? Seems interesting enough and there's a lot of buzz around it but it's not in theaters or on demand anywhere.

Yeah, I'm really annoyed I can't watch this yet.

I think I read it's gonna be out on iTunes November 11th.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I saw it a few months ago, and got to attend a Q&A with the directors. It's definitely worth your time if you get the chance.

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Tickled is on Itunes already: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/tickled/id1133845642
Totally worth the rental.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Duckwaffle posted:

Tickled is on Itunes already: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/tickled/id1133845642
Totally worth the rental.

"Pre-Order"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It'll be out in November 1st

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Oh that's weird, i was definetley able to rent it a few weeks back, but i'm in Canada so that might be part of it.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It's well worth the wait :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Taking its time eh. Well, gonna wait for it, excited though!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ava DuVernay's (Selma) 13th is coming out on Netflix on October 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66F3WU2CKk

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/10/ava-duvernay-13th-documentary-nyff

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Hypernormalization (Adam Curtis) was a really great film in terms of storytelling, but he misses the mark on a few things mostly relating to the internet. This is a tiny complaint, but he also spends a weird amount of time on clips of young women, as if to make them out to be vapid young people/millennials. It's also pretty unfocused.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bullfrog posted:

Hypernormalization (Adam Curtis) was a really great film in terms of storytelling, but he misses the mark on a few things mostly relating to the internet. This is a tiny complaint, but he also spends a weird amount of time on clips of young women, as if to make them out to be vapid young people/millennials. It's also pretty unfocused.

It's probably unfair to say he won't ever top The Century of Self, but this was a huge step down from Bitter Lake or even that VICE thing he did.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Is that footage he kept using of those three girls dancing significant for some reason, or was Curtis just being random?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

cloudchamber posted:

Is that footage he kept using of those three girls dancing significant for some reason, or was Curtis just being random?

I think the clue is that you see these three girls dancing and that is the reality you perceive, in the end there was a fourth girl there the whole time which you could not see.

Maybe I am stretching,

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 17, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Everyone needs to watch The 13th on Netflix. It's infuriating and incredible.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I think the clue is that you see these three girls dancing and that is the reality you perceive, in the end there was a fourth girl there the whole time which you could not see.

Maybe I am stretching,

I meant the significance of the footage as in whether it's famous in some way on the internet that would merit including it in a documentary, not its meaning in the context of the film. That's a neat theory though.

Thinking about it, I feel that I disliked this film more than any of his previous work because Curtis used the documentary to set up this frame of analysis in which he can never be wrong no matter what happens. Like with Brexit: if the plebiscite's outcome had been a victory for the Yes vote it would be proof that we live in a static world where nothing changes. The No campaign's unexpected victory though means we're all trapped in algorithmic feedback loops.

darkerthantheday
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, if you want to spray your shirt…with documents!
Could the video of the dancing (and maybe the "alphabet video art" clip and woman crying about Brexit) be seen as a contrast to the Arab Spring internet based movement? In the west, people are seen turning the technology to point at themselves, due to vanity/want of attention, or like early in the film, a result of disillusionment with failure of social progress. While in the Arab Spring revolutions, the power of "cyberspace" was used to spread their message to the rest of their country and the world at large to enact change (and compare that to how much impact the Occupy Wall Street movement had).

A theory anyways.

tldr: Westerners are self-absorbed. Those that used technology for change often have no gameplan if they succeed.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Hypernormalization definitely presented a far less a cohesive narrative than Bitter Lake. It seemed like a kind of rushed out the door attempt to touch on a bunch of current events at once with a Curtis film, which isn't really doable. Curtis' style only really works when covering multiple decades in detail, starting at the beginning. Hypernormalization seems like it tries to start from the present and work backward, and ends up never really leaving the present as a result. The past is there, but the story is stuck in the present poking back into the past, rather than starting in the past and building into the present.

I'd love to see a straight up adaptation of Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More into multimedia without any attempt to tie in current events, but can't really imagine that attracting any significant audience.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I know there are lots of people in here interested in the west Memphis 3. Damien Echols was just on the latest "hour of goon" podcast(Twiggy Ramirez from Marylin Manson).
He talks a bit about when he first got out and his art and life now.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bitter Lake had no narrative, it was mostly empty space and I thought more confusing than Hyper Normalization. Imo

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibP5IQxId34

"Chasing Bubbles" is a documentary about a young guy, a floor trader in Chicago, who chucks everything, his job, all his stuff, his life, to buy a sailboat, learn to sail, and then sail around the globe visiting different lands and their people, with a crew of various friends and complete strangers that he picked up along the way.

Even if you aren't into sailing at all, it's a good picture of a guy infected with wanderlust and the need to explore and adventure in the world and the effect that he had on the people around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Most of you have probably seen it by now, but PBS' "The Choice" for 2016, lengthy biography of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump (they do this for every U.S. Presidential election now) is up on YouTube and it's pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7uScWHcTzk