Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

magnificent7 posted:

Fifteenthing Terror At The Mall. Jesus I'm going to go adopt a kitten now.

The official Kenyan response was total Yakety Sax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
That was a great documentary, there were 3 scenes that were unbelievable:

1. When the "elephant" guy got shot.
2. The children holding candy bars and crying next to the dead bodies
3. People taking out dead bodies of the mall via shopping carts. :psyduck:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What I don't quite understand is the change of heart the terrorists got after a while. Like they say in the doc, how do you go from murdering children to making "baby faces" at them? Or giving them candy? Was it some kind of guilt after the adrenaline started to wear off, or what?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Sorry if this is a re-post since this thread is so old, but... I thought this BBC documentary on US rock music was pretty well done, even if they missed a bunch of things.

Part1 - 1960s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkoXqXAGvkE

Part2 - 1970s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh7DVY48xxQ

Part3 - 1980s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoPzcybmGg

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Herv posted:

Sorry if this is a re-post since this thread is so old, but... I thought this BBC documentary on US rock music was pretty well done, even if they missed a bunch of things.

Loving these so far. They've got nothing on Spinal Tap, though.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Watching The Roosevelts. Ken Burns style is formulaic at this point. But drat if it doesn't work.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MRC48B posted:

Watching The Roosevelts. Ken Burns style is formulaic at this point. But drat if it doesn't work.

It is formulaic, but it works because what makes Ken Burns so good is the writing and the research that goes into each of his documentaries. He always finds little personal things about his subjects that really endear you to them, and anecdotes that reveal the mood of a famous person, or the average joe, or the nation. The way he tells a story through photos, letters, news articles, and first hand accounts is so simple and obvious, yet he's really the only one to do it (successfully and repeatedly).

After finishing the Roosevelts, I'm really tempted to make a Ken Burns megathread to discuss his general body of work. I don't know if it would get many people posting in it but I may try anyways. Gonna finish The Dust Bowl first.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

After finishing the Roosevelts, I'm really tempted to make a Ken Burns megathread to discuss his general body of work. I don't know if it would get many people posting in it but I may try anyways. Gonna finish The Dust Bowl first.

I would read this. I've only ever seen the Civil War but I found out most of his stuff is on Netflix so I'll try to catch up on it when I have free time.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've always loved Adam Curtis documentaries but haven't really dug back past stuff in recent years. However I just watched 'It Felt Like A Kiss' and holy poo poo this is fantastic!

Can watch it here on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/22589118

There's no naration, just a constant stream of music and images with some text overlayed to describe what's happening. It works really well in my opinion. The story is the rise of America during the cold war and shows stuff like how Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden grew up and came to power. The 60's and 70's were an insane time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It Felt Like A Kiss is my favorite of his post 2000 work.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Loving these so far. They've got nothing on Spinal Tap, though.
Three days after watching it, and it annoys me. The content was seriously cherry-picked to prove a point, but it contradicts itself all over the place.

-- Corporate Rock was the devil, but Tom Scholz invented Boston and a label built a band to support him and it was magic!
-- The early 80s were void of any good music except for Punk and Tom Petty. Shittiest argument in the world.
-- Mid-late 80s were nothing but hair metal bands, and Van Halen changed all that with Jump. Kill yourself.

It was fun, but about as informative as watching a VH1 30-minute summary of a decade of music.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any chance there's a decent documentary on Kim Jong-il, or any of the rulers of North Korea? Documentaries showing the life of an average schlub are getting more and more common, but I don't know much about the leaders aside from what Wiki says. I'll take anything, really. Something about a preference of art, a weird psychological profile from a German professor who read between the lines on propaganda videos, anything at all besides the typical North propaganda would be really interesting.

e:v Sweet, I'll check that out. Thanks.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 27, 2014

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Robo Reagan posted:

Any chance there's a decent documentary on Kim Jong-il, or any of the rulers of North Korea? Documentaries showing the life of an average schlub are getting more and more common, but I don't know much about the leaders aside from what Wiki says. I'll take anything, really. Something about a preference of art, a weird psychological profile from a German professor who read between the lines on propaganda videos, anything at all besides the typical North propaganda would be really interesting.

While not a documentary, I certainly feel like this is a good primer on North Korean state ideology. Departs quite radically from the standard idiot Western narratives. http://www.c-span.org/video/?292562-1/book-discussion-cleanest-race

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
Edit: Found the video I was looking for. Thanks!

Chiken n' Waffles fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 28, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Terror At The Mall is up on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL7epiOrBRk

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

mod sassinator posted:

I've always loved Adam Curtis documentaries but haven't really dug back past stuff in recent years. However I just watched 'It Felt Like A Kiss' and holy poo poo this is fantastic!

Riveting.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

That was pretty brutal, hard to imagine what those douche bags were thinking.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The fact the Kenyan Army pretty much said gently caress it and just shelled the goddamn mall to end the stand off after losing live five guys several days later, jesus.

The actions of the normal people, hostages, plain clothes cops and volunteers that worked with them saved this documentary for being depressing as hell.

Some really strong moments (why the elephant dude why!) in this one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I watched the Central Park Five on Netflix yesterday. How is it that none of the people involved in sending these kids to prison got sent to jaiL!?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

The fact the Kenyan Army pretty much said gently caress it and just shelled the goddamn mall to end the stand off after losing live five guys several days later, jesus.

The actions of the normal people, hostages, plain clothes cops and volunteers that worked with them saved this documentary for being depressing as hell.

Some really strong moments (why the elephant dude why!) in this one.

The elephant man part was pretty tough, I have to assume he was just scared to death and not thinking things through.

But I would agree that the cops / civilians rushing in was the high point of the movie.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Does anyone know of any good documentaries about Unit 731?
I've been watching a couple of NHK documentaries about the Fukushima aftermath 3 years later and kinda criss-crossed into ones about both North Korea, the Korean War, Japanese refugees in North Korea and between all the atrocities, I noticed I never really saw Unit 731 or its experiments covered on TV.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Any good docus about Alaska or the Canadian wilderness and stuff like that?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

ravenkult posted:

Enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d6GNZlwcj8

Alone in the Wilderness, basically one man's journey into Alaska in the 50's where he builds an entire log cabin by himself. With hand tools. And he films it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Proenneke is the loving man and that documentary is ridiculously fascinating. He makes it looks so easy.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Stare-Out posted:

Proenneke is the loving man and that documentary is ridiculously fascinating. He makes it looks so easy.

Yeah, he built it in his 50's and lived out in the cabin until his 80's--just amazing!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

ravenkult posted:

One day I stumbled upon Waterwalker. Is Bill Mason a well-known guy in Canada?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

ravenkult posted:

Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man isn't about that, but does discuss and show it extensively. Might be of interest (also it's excellent)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Allyn posted:

Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man isn't about that, but does discuss and show it extensively. Might be of interest (also it's excellent)

Similarly, Happy People, by the same.

Anyone know if Adam Curtis' Everything Is Going According to Plan is ever going to be released in any sort of non-live fashion? I would love to see it, but the chances of it ever being performed anywhere near Minneapolis are fairly low, I'd imagine.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

IPvSH6T posted:

Anyone know if Adam Curtis' Everything Is Going According to Plan is ever going to be released in any sort of non-live fashion? I would love to see it, but the chances of it ever being performed anywhere near Minneapolis are fairly low, I'd imagine.

Towards the start of the year the BBC announced that they were going to produce more original content for their iPlayer streaming service rather than just streaming shows first broadcast on their television channels. Among the new content they announced were three new Curtis documentaries one of which was supposed to be a filmed version of the stage show he made with Massive Attack. The announcement said the new documentaries would come out in June, though they've obviously failed to appear on the iPlayer and no word has come out from either Curtis or the BBC about what the current status of the announced films is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mod sassinator posted:

Enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d6GNZlwcj8

Alone in the Wilderness, basically one man's journey into Alaska in the 50's where he builds an entire log cabin by himself. With hand tools. And he films it.

There's a Vice documentary on the same subject, about a dude and his wife who live out in the Alaskan wilderness and have for the last 30 years. What struck me is how...down to earth the guy seems, like totally not the impression of a crazy isolationist mountain man you expect from people who break away from all civilization. His point of view was completely understandable, even convincing. I find some Vice stuff to be annoying because the reporter often gets in the way but this one was pretty good.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

exquisite tea posted:

There's a Vice documentary on the same subject, about a dude and his wife who live out in the Alaskan wilderness and have for the last 30 years. What struck me is how...down to earth the guy seems, like totally not the impression of a crazy isolationist mountain man you expect from people who break away from all civilization. His point of view was completely understandable, even convincing. I find some Vice stuff to be annoying because the reporter often gets in the way but this one was pretty good.

Yeah Louie Theroux did a good show on mountain people that live off the grid, and on the whole they were incredibly nice and welcoming people. Most of them did it because they didn't believe in the government, taxes, etc. but none were crazy rear end in a top hat Libertarians that you would expect. It was kind of heartwarming to see people that you expect to be nuts are actually just normal people that like living outside normal society.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Are there good documentaries about Pennhurst Asylum? Youtube has jack poo poo.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Happy People was really interesting because the subjects focused on pretty much are alone, and when you learn it's because the Soviet government (kinda fun to not know this going in) basically dropped them in the middle of Siberia long ago and never returned to check on them, and they refused to just die, it becomes insane. I can't imagine having a family, community, etc. but living alone for 10 months of the year.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

Happy People was really interesting because the subjects focused on pretty much are alone, and when you learn it's because the Soviet government (kinda fun to not know this going in) basically dropped them in the middle of Siberia long ago and never returned to check on them, and they refused to just die, it becomes insane. I can't imagine having a family, community, etc. but living alone for 10 months of the year.

Happy People is amazing. That story he tells about his dog made me tear up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah Happy People almost made me cry. In addition to the dog story, the whole moment of the dog running alongside the jetski the whole way home hit me hard.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah Happy People almost made me cry. In addition to the dog story, the whole moment of the dog running alongside the jetski the whole way home hit me hard.

Iirc that dog ran for 24 hours, those people could be the real survivors of an apocalypse.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Is Citizen Koch worth checking out?

Chouk
Jul 27, 2007
The war, the whole conflict may have been wrong but damn it don't hate your country for it.
On the theme of canadian wilderness and Happy People, I would recommend The Cree hunters of Mistassini. Not as good as Happy People, but still fascinating.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/cree_hunters

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Watching Dreams With Sharp Teeth which is a 2008 doc about Harlan Ellison and while its basically a 90 minute fluff piece I did learn so things about Harlan and I think one of the things on my bucket list is to go into the "The Lost Aztec Temple of Mars".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobish
May 31, 2011

This sounds terrible, but for some reason I like depressing as hell documentaries about homeless/orphan children. The best one I've seen in awhile is Children Underground. The synopsis is, "This documentary explores Romanian dictator Nicolei Ceaucescu's decision to outlaw contraceptives and encourage the populace to have more children." But it's way more than that. There's minimal narration but you come to know and care for the children it follows. And of course you get angry as hell at a broken system that you'll probably never do anything about.

Are there any other good documentaries about street kids? Roving bands of homeless kids is the loving craziest thing.