Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The_Doctor posted:

So I finished watching Avatar:TLA tonight. Man, what a ride. I’m glad I finally watched it all from beginning to end. Now what do I do...? Korra, I guess?

Don't watch Korra, the people who say its gets better for season 3/4 are the people who decided to keep on watching the series despite how terrible season 1 and 2 were. Its like people who say current Simpsons isn't so bad anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still love that one of the Scooby movies was just a musical for no reason.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I watched Korra at 1.5-2x speed. It has a lot of interesting ideas that take too long to not ever totally come together.

Toph's daughter rules.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

So I finished watching Avatar:TLA tonight. Man, what a ride. I’m glad I finally watched it all from beginning to end. Now what do I do...? Korra, I guess?

I'd recommend Johnny Test. It starts off a bit rough but really picks up after a while and becomes genuinely great. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something to binge for a few hours.

Oh! But don't skip any of the early episodes as there are several important developments later on that won't make sense without context. Just start on episode one and keep on watching until it starts getting good. You'll know when you get there!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Korra season 1 except the last two episodes is good. Season 2 is bad but has a great two parter in the middle that you shouldn't miss. Seasons 3 and 4 are uniformly good, though they don't live up to ATLA. Ignore that guy up there who said otherwise.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.
Johnny Test is less a TV show and more some kind of Pavlovian conditioning mechanism designed to get you to cringe every time you hear a whip crack.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argue posted:

Korra season 1 except the last two episodes is good. Season 2 is bad but has a great two parter in the middle that you shouldn't miss. Seasons 3 and 4 are uniformly good, though they don't live up to ATLA. Ignore that guy up there who said otherwise.

This is correct, though I like all of season 1 riiiiiiiight up until, like, the half of the last episode. Season 3 I think is the best one, though four is good as well.

It never hits the highs ATLA did, but maaaaan season 3 is drat close.

Season 2.... ugh. The villian is dumb, the plot is dumb, the characters all act like idiots, the animation in the first half of the season is mediocre-to-bad, and worst of all you can't just skip it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Every season starts strong and makes you feel like it's going to be good, but gets side-tracked on worthless subplots that don't go anywhere or really bland drama that's mostly a setup for wacky gimmick fights. The worldbuilding all ends up shallow or contradictory, and nothing seems like it follows any meaningful rules. Korra never seems like she learns or improves, and it starts to get uncomfortable just how much the show beats her up.

There are some fun bits and pieces, but they're lost in a sea of poor planning and badly orchestrated plot. Somehow the writers both had too much and too little runtime for the story that they wanted to tell. The show largely mistakes blandness for maturity in both writing and art style. I also have a suspicion that a lot of the difference comes from how there's a big difference in the crew from one show to the next that you can see on IMDB, but I don't really know enough about the industry to say much about that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've been putting on Scooby movies in the background, and they're great for something you don't really need to pay attention, because you look for a little bit, and something insane is happening like Velma trying to kill everybody by driving off a cliff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29zn5-yuOFg

Frankencreepy's ridiculously deep pulls kinda make me want to watch some of the original series.

The books basically handle most of the themes that Korra tried to do, but better. Industrialization in a fantasy world, decolonization politics, reunion of the water tribes, most of it's right there.

Yeah the original Scooby-Doo series is pretty fun

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

asecondduck posted:

This is correct, though I like all of season 1 riiiiiiiight up until, like, the half of the last episode. Season 3 I think is the best one, though four is good as well.

It never hits the highs ATLA did, but maaaaan season 3 is drat close.

Season 2.... ugh. The villian is dumb, the plot is dumb, the characters all act like idiots, the animation in the first half of the season is mediocre-to-bad, and worst of all you can't just skip it.

Honestly the only good parts of Season 2 are Varrick, Eska, Tenzin's family, and the Avatar Wan story arc, otherwise you're pretty safe to skip it and not miss all that much. Also, I realize that they originally didn't plan on Korra lasting more than a season and had to scramble to come up with something but for some reason the title character suddenly takes a massive step backwards in character development at the start of the season and basically has to learn the same lesson twice, it's weird.

But otherwise Season 1 is decent for the most part and the last two are genuinely good pretty much the whole way through. It's not as good as ATLA but I liked the show well enough overall (it also has one of my favorite clip show episodes in any series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 10, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also season 2 has Bolin going from, "slightly goofy boy next door type" to "horny idiot clown", a characterisation from which he never really recovers. Also, it completely sells Korra down the river as a character and has all her character moments focus on how reasonable, smart Mako is always right and Korra is ruining both their relationship and her own life with her stupid wilful woman-ness.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

I'd recommend Johnny Test. It starts off a bit rough but really picks up after a while and becomes genuinely great. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something to binge for a few hours.

Oh! But don't skip any of the early episodes as there are several important developments later on that won't make sense without context. Just start on episode one and keep on watching until it starts getting good. You'll know when you get there!

You're a sadist.

Here's a deep cut if you're looking for a fun fantasy series:

"Dofus: the treasures of kerub" it's a prequel to "Wakfu", but more slice of lifey and with better animation. I strongly recomend watching it (and Wakfu) in the original french with subtitles.

Edit:

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've been putting on Scooby movies in the background, and they're great for something you don't really need to pay attention, because you look for a little bit, and something insane is happening like Velma trying to kill everybody by driving off a cliff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29zn5-yuOFg

Okay, this clip convinced me I need to watch the rest of this movie ASAP. Thank you.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 10, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You're a sadist.

"Dofus: the treasures of kerub" it's a prequel to "Wakfu", but more slice of lifey and with better animation. I strongly recomend watching it (and Wakfu) in the original french with subtitles.

Edit:

Okay, this clip convinced me I need to watch the rest of this movie ASAP. Thank you.

All the voices sound ...off?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

readingatwork posted:

I have found it. The internet's most evil post.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Beachcomber posted:

In the scooby doo clip? Probably because the voice actors have been auto-tuned, I doubt any of them are regular singers.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

I have found it. The internet's most evil post.

You're a sadist.

quote:

Edit:

Dofus is (for real) really good and I highly recommend it. The movie that serves as a sequel is also genuinely amazing and I enjoyed it more than most big budget theatrical CGI movies made in the past few years. You definitely need to get the french version though since the English dub is a bit... terrible. Which is too bad because I think the Wakfu franchise as a whole would do really well in the states with better localization.

Side rant: gently caress you Vrv get the french sub of Dofus up on your site!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

Dofus is (for real) really good and I highly recommend it. The movie that serves as a sequel is also genuinely amazing and I enjoyed it more than most big budget theatrical CGI movies made in the past few years. You definitely need to get the french version though since the English dub is a bit... terrible. Which is too bad because I think the Wakfu franchise as a whole would do really well in the states with better localization.

Side rant: gently caress you Vrv get the french sub of Dofus up on your site!

The Dofus movie is, no joke, one of my favorite films of all time. I really hope a sequel comes out at some point (I mean it's called "book one" which in implies there must be more books at some point, right?)

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

readingatwork posted:

Ah, so this is the animation equivalent of telling people to read Avengers #200

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scrap Dragon posted:

Ah, so this is the animation equivalent of telling people to read Avengers #200

Huh have no idea what this mean better googl:yikes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/rachmeetsworld/status/1072285313513357312

First screens from Netflix's Carmen Sandiego.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Kinda reminds me of the Progressive Auto Insurance Company cartoon commercials. Are there any details to the plot?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In this one, Carmen is a heroic figure who steals from VILE to give back to the rightful owners, but finds herself running afoul of ACME as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

In the scooby doo clip? Probably because the voice actors have been auto-tuned, I doubt any of them are regular singers.

Could also just be them getting singers to step in for the VAs. I'm 99% sure I've never heard Frank Welker sing. Bark, growl, slobber, gibber and whimper, yes; sing, no.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Doesn't look bad, but does it:

1. Teach kids history/geography
2. Feature people being called "gumshoe"

This is important.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Beachcomber posted:

It sounds like the video is slightly sped up or pitched up or something

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

It sounds like the video is slightly sped up or pitched up or something

That's not uncommon in Youtube clips to fool the algorithms that spot copyrighted material.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waffleman_ posted:

In this one, Carmen is a heroic figure who steals from VILE to give back to the rightful owners, but finds herself running afoul of ACME as well.

Aw what? That's kind of lame.

I gotta be honest, I prefer the over the top "I put my face on the moon just because I loving could" super villain Carmen San Diego who does whatever she wants instead of this Robin Hood nonsense.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I gotta be honest, I prefer the over the top "I put my face on the moon just because I loving could" super villain Carmen San Diego who does whatever she wants instead of this Robin Hood nonsense.

It would be worth it if she still has the attitude and it lets the show spend more time with her than with a couple of generic teenagers.

Either way, the show should still secretly be about teaching kids geography.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

These pictures don't make me horny at all HOW DARE NETFLIX RUIN MY CHILDHOOD!!1!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

This is because the only ones who are actually singing are Daphne and Shaggy. Grey Griffin and Matthew Lillard can sing so they're using them as Daphne and Shaggy's singing voices respectively. Velma and Fred (Mindy Cohn and Frank Welker) aren't singing so they're using sound-alikes (Bets Malone and Jim Wise).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ConanThe3rd posted:

If this is the Watership Down thing I mind Netflix talking 'bout a while back, I'd temper your expectations.

regardless of what Netflix has said, there's casting for El-Ahrairah and for the Black Rabbit of Inle, and that story's probably the absolute most horrifying and hosed up thing in the entire book, especially in context.

(for the unaware, throughout the book you get little stories about the rabbits' folk hero/trickster god, El-Ahrairah. eventually, poo poo gets dark in the "real" world, and as a psych-up, one of the rabbits insistently asks to hear the story I'm talking about before they go on a dangerous and potentially suicidal task. the other rabbits are super loving hesitant, but Dandelion eventually gives in.

as it turns out, the story is about when another animal ruler, King Darzin, decided to try and commit genocide against the rabbits, and El-Ahrairah couldn't do a drat thing about it on his own. so he goes down to the underworld to talk to, basically, the Rabbit Grim Reaper [the aforementioned Black Rabbit] and try to offer up his own life in exchange for the other rabbits'. Black Rabbit says hell no. El-Ahrairah tries to trick the Black Rabbit into helping, as is El-Ahrairah's usual way, but ends up just annoying the poo poo out of the Black Rabbit and getting horribly mutilated. eventually, with his whiskers, ear and tail torn off of his body and still trying to convince the Black Rabbit, the Black Rabbit just eventually goes "alright, dude, jesus gently caress, the soldiers are gone, now go away.")

if the series is adapting that story, it's a pretty loving safe bet that this is a warts-and-all adaptation of the book, and that the showrunners' statements about it being lighter than the movie are more in regards to the movie being a relentless parade of misery that excises all the happy stuff from the book.

e: like, the 1972 movie genuinely is a lot more violent and depressing than the book; the events are broadly the same, but there's more to space them out in the book, and the dark elements are handled somewhat differently.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Doesn't look bad, but does it:

1. Teach kids history/geography
2. Feature people being called "gumshoe"

This is important.

I request, nay demand, it features the younger sister of Bone Queef (Bone like what's in the dumpster behind Buffalo Wild Wings and Queef like a Pussy Fart).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is this another dreamworks joint?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is Carmen meant to look like a teenager? Could be an origin story thing going on. (I think some games have backstory where she's a former ACME agent?)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I was the biggest loving map nerd as a kid so I loved everything Carmen Sandiego and so I'm excited to see what they do with it now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
She's got some big ol eyebrows on her. Kinda funny when she isn't wearing the hat to play off it.

Glad that they didn't mess with the costume. You can't really improve on that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
As long as they get Rockapella for the theme tune, it’ll all be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1EIUP8tvbE

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

readingatwork posted:

These pictures don't make me horny at all HOW DARE NETFLIX RUIN MY CHILDHOOD!!1!

Don't worry. Even if you did not, someone got horny from this.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Carmen Sandiego is a land of contrasts.

Voting right now for the thread title: Carmen Sandiego: #ladycrimes

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Carmen Sandiego is a land of contrasts.

Off-topic, but was this cliche recently (re)popularized by something, or did we all out-of-the-blue decide to mock it again?