Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Acebuckeye13 posted:

KOTOR and KOTOR II were rad as gently caress :colbert:

As was Tales of The Jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like, it really can't be understated how much of the EU was rehashes of the OT over and over again, with the same characters or barely distinct knockoffs of them.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

asecondduck posted:

Korra Season 1 is drat good tv up until Amon gets defeated. I went back and rewatched it about six months ago.

Season 2 is bad. The overarching plot isn't particularly interesting, the characters lose all sense of direction, and yeah, the animation sucks in the first half. It did give us Varrick though.

Season 3 is fantastic, straight up. Better than ATLA season one and roughly on par with ATLA season 3, in my opinion (it ain't got poo poo on ATLA season 2, though). The villians are compelling (Henry Rollins was an... odd choice, but I personally think it works), the animation is great, Jinora gets her arrow. Good stuff. If you hate what season 2 did to the characters, though, you aren't gonna find solace here, because everything that happened in S2 remains cannon. Oh well.

Season 4 is also very good, but not as good as season 3. Broken Korra isn't very fun, and Bolin and Varrick mostly exist for comedy (hey, remember when Bolin was, like, a real character in Season 1? I do), and the main plot devolving into CRAZY WOMAN MECHA SMASH was... disappointing, but it sticks the landing. Oh and the final scene kinda broke the internet. Well, Tumblr at least.

This is a very accurate description of the show, for anyone who's interested in watching it or part of it. Season 2 is painfully bad and a huge disappointment after Season 1, and Bolin's character pretty much never recovers even as the show gets better in 3 and 4.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

If Korra is set in that universe's 1920's or thereabout, I can't help but think that the next Avatar would be born in the 80's/90's and be roughly our age.

Remember that Avatars can live super long times. Aang only got to his 60s because he was in the ice for 100 years and that sapped him of some of his Avatar mojo due to being kept on life support. Kiyoshi lived to the ripe old age of 230 as a comparison, but it's not clear if this is the norm or an exception as the only other lifespans we have for other Avatars involves them dying from outside circumstances.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Maybe I have the wrong impression of the EU, but my impression was that it wasn't as diverse as you suggest an Extended Universe could be. Like the joke is that every single character on screen in the original trilogy eventually got a story, from the guy with the werewolf mask at the cantina to the guy on cloud city with an ice cream maker. Case in point, Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina where they did a short story anthology for seemingly everyone at the cantina that day with Han, Luke, Chewie, and Obi Wan. But that maybe comprised 20% of the EU at most, and the rest was rehashes with the on screen characters pre-/during/post- the Original Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy.

First they did a bunch of further adventures of the onscreen main characters, which is typical for most franchises that do that sort of thing. One of the early novels was even originally intended to be the second movie before they realized that they could afford to do a bigger budget extravaganza. When the franchise came back in the 90s, creators started doing larger-scale stories that were kind of epic space operas reminiscent of the movies.

Then weirder stuff started peaking in, with the Tales of the Jedi comic in '93 set 4,000 years in the past. Star Wars videogames started doing plots that were outside the movies with original characters, like Kyle Katarn in Dark Forces in '95, and the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series in '93, which probably inspired the Rogue Squadron novel/comic/videogame series. In '95 is when the Tales of books started popping up, and they started the Young Jedi Knights series starring the children of the main characters of the movies, which dovetailed into the Jr. Jedi Knights series for younger readers.

Fast forward for a bit, and you have a whole mess of material that is only loosely related to the movies. You have concurrently running comic series 4,000 years before the movies and 139 years afterwards. The EU became this big huge thing loosely linked together by referencing other EU works and full of stories of varying tones and quality, until Disney came along and axed the whole thing to start over back with ongoing adventures of onscreen movie characters.

And looking up information about the former EU is complicated because so many of the reference sites do this weird stalinist revisionism thing where the older material is pushed off to the side and covered up, as if a corporate statement on canonicity actively removes the old material from existence.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mighty Dicktron posted:

With that said, I heard repeatedly that seasons 3 and 4 were both good, 3 in particular, and I have been tempted but I just don't want to rewatch season 1 and see season 2, and I'm not going to see the rest without their context.

I watched season 3 without watching season 2 or rewatching season 1 and I absolutely do not regret it. No context was required.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Basically, the only episodes that are must watch from Season 2 are the Origins 2 parter and that's mostly just general avatar lore.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Beachcomber posted:

I watched season 3 without watching season 2 or rewatching season 1 and I absolutely do not regret it. No context was required.

Same here. I didn't even know when Korra aired until halfway into season 3.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1136007487348498432?s=21

Nicholas Elodeon in: We Are loving Desperate

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I thought he was 10. In his mind.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Ohhhh, who's run out of ideas for new TV shows?
DESPERATE EXECS!
Creative bankruptcy just hit new lows!
DESPERATE EXECS!
If new good cartoon shows you want to see...
DESPERATE EXECS!
Then change the channel to CN or Disney!
DESPERATE EXECS!

edit:

They must be feeling some terrible stress...
DESPERATE EXECS!
To rip off Young Sheldon from CBS!
DESPERATE EXECS!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 4, 2019

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jesus Christ Nick.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe they can play all the episodes they have, but in reverse.

Edit: not reverse order, reversed audio and picture like you're looking for Satan.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 5, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

Edit: not reverse order, reversed audio and picture like you're looking for Satan.

Finally we find that the Krabby Patty formula is the souls of the damned.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

TwoPair posted:

Finally we find that the Krabby Patty formula is the souls of the damned.
Krabs spelled backwards is spark. Sparks emit a bright flash of light. Stars emit light. Lucifer was called the Morningstar before he fell from heaven.

OPEN YOUR EYES.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SardonicTyrant posted:

Krabs spelled backwards is spark.

I can't believe they got Foglios to take over spongebob

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I absent-mindedly did some math on Spongebob, and here it is.

Spongebob has been on air for a solid 20 years, And more than half of the episodes came out after I stopped watching. Next year Spongebob will be old enough to drink.

If you add up the runtime for all the episodes and movies, it goes for 4 solid days, 4 hours of which is just the theme song. If you add all the time estimates for the games on howlongtobeat.com, that rounds out into a full week.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
spongebob's gone on long enough it can be split into 3 eras (pre movie, post-movie, and post-2nd movie) rather than 2, each with their own different head staff

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I guess it'll be 4 with post-Hillenburg.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe they could do something like Kablam or Cartoon cartoons showcasing new stuff, some experimental, but the whole thing is framed as SpongeBob hosting or watching TV.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The cartoon is about him at a summer camp, it's tentatively called 'kamp koral', and it's going to be CG-animated

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I never really liked Spongebob. I've seen some episodes and didn't like how much he and Patrick ruin Squidward's day, or even his driving teacher's life. Like there's being dense that someone just wants peace and quiet, then there's being an rear end in a top hat who ignores every sign that your neighbor doesn't want you around just so you can have your fun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The big tipping point where I gave up on Spongebob was when a friend pointed out that Squidward tried to commit suicide multiple times.

At some point they forget to maintain justification for any of the punishment Squidward gets, and that one april fool's episode when he goes "too far" starts to feel like a rare case of fully justified revenge that the show has a double standard about compared to what Spongebob normally does to him.

The 7th Guest posted:

The cartoon is about him at a summer camp, it's tentatively called 'kamp koral', and it's going to be CG-animated

I stared at this sentence for a while, and it took me a bit to realize that this wasn't talking about Korra from earlier.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe they could do something like Kablam or Cartoon cartoons showcasing new stuff, some experimental, but the whole thing is framed as SpongeBob hosting or watching TV.

Ah gee, I dunno if "new stuff" is gonna sell mac and cheese, aw gee....

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

Am I the only one that thinks TV grade CG always looks like rear end? Seriously, every time I hear that a cool sounding project is going to be CG I die a little inside. Even Canadian flash animation is better.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
/\/\/\/\/\Speaking of TV-grade CGI that looks like rear end...

So do you remember that stupid phone app called Talking Tom? Where you said something and a CGI cat repeated back what you said in an annoying squeaky voice?

Yeah, they made an animated show out of it.

Now that you're done screaming--it's... well, it's not good, but it does feature voicework by Tom Kenny, Maria Bamford, Dave Willis (???), and Colin Hanks voices the titular Tom. So that's a thing.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 5, 2019

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The big tipping point where I gave up on Spongebob was when a friend pointed out that Squidward tried to commit suicide multiple times.

At some point they forget to maintain justification for any of the punishment Squidward gets, and that one april fool's episode when he goes "too far" starts to feel like a rare case of fully justified revenge that the show has a double standard about compared to what Spongebob normally does to him.
That last bit is a problem a lot of cartoons have, the 'hero' who gets to be an rear end in a top hat for no good reason, or at least beyond all reasonable degrees of retaliation. Bugs Bunny is the quintessential example of this, often ruining people's lives entirely for the most minor of slights. Tweety Pie as well, who's especially bad... to the point of Sylvester giving up on trying to eat him, and Tweety just going and deliberately making Sylvester's life hell until he breaks and chases Tweety again. In an episode structured like Tweety is trying to tempt an addict off the wagon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's an entire Tom and Jerry where all Tom is doing is trying to sleep and has not and does not antagonize Jerry in any way.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yapping Eevee posted:

That last bit is a problem a lot of cartoons have, the 'hero' who gets to be an rear end in a top hat for no good reason, or at least beyond all reasonable degrees of retaliation. Bugs Bunny is the quintessential example of this, often ruining people's lives entirely for the most minor of slights. Tweety Pie as well, who's especially bad... to the point of Sylvester giving up on trying to eat him, and Tweety just going and deliberately making Sylvester's life hell until he breaks and chases Tweety again. In an episode structured like Tweety is trying to tempt an addict off the wagon.

Bugs isn't usually that bad, they normally stuck to their rule that Bugs would only mess with someone if they messed with him first, the ones that break that rule are usually the ones that end with Bugs losing

Also on the topic of Spongebob they announced a remake of Battle For Bikini Bottom today

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

There's an entire Tom and Jerry where all Tom is doing is trying to sleep and has not and does not antagonize Jerry in any way.

At one point, I started to think "so is this the one where Tom finally eats Jerry? It's the circle of life, after all" during every episode

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Remember that time Jerry condemned Tom to eternal damnation?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
They should make a version of Tom and Jerry where Tom is unambiguously the good guy acting purely in self defense. Jerry was always a little poo poo so you may as well make him the villain.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

readingatwork posted:

They should make a version of Tom and Jerry where Tom is unambiguously the good guy acting purely in self defense. Jerry was always a little poo poo so you may as well make him the villain.

Isn't that Itchy and Scratchy?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yapping Eevee posted:

There's two variations of this in cartoons that I can remember. Either the protagonist is a jackass that the universe bends over backwards to present as in the right (Ben 10, Teen Titans), or it's the protagonist's best friend who's an unlikeable douchebag (Foster's Home, Gym Partner's A Monkey).

Caidin posted:

I remember that. IIRC, it had Tom begging and crying for Jerry to sign a document that says he forgives Tom for everything, despite Jerry giving as much, if not more, than Tom ever did in their fights. It turned out to be a dream, but it was still hosed up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

amigolupus posted:

the protagonist is a jackass that the universe bends over backwards to present as in the right (Ben 10, Teen Titans)

I know who you mean with Ben 10 (at least in the later seasons and rewrites)...but Teen Titans? You mean TTG and Robin?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Ben 10 squandered his omnitrix. He should have gone full animorphs and started getting DNA from all over the place, give him way more freedom for espionage. If you get a device that lets you turn into any alien that touches it, wouldn't you try to start collecting them like pokemon cards rather than just sticking with the 10 basics?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I know who you mean with Ben 10 (at least in the later seasons and rewrites)...but Teen Titans? You mean TTG and Robin?

TTG outright says Robin is a lunatic though and loves to poo poo on him.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Caidin posted:

Actually, the plot of the episode was that Tom was destined to go to hell because of all his years of badly treating Jerry unless he could get Jerry to forgive him. Jerry initially refuses to sign the document of forgiveness not cause he was trying to be a dick, but because he thought Tom was messing with him. Eventually after much begging, Jerry relents and is about to sign it until time runs out.

Don't get me wrong, Jerry's definitely been a dick in many episodes, but that wasn't one of them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Ben 10 squandered his omnitrix. He should have gone full animorphs and started getting DNA from all over the place, give him way more freedom for espionage. If you get a device that lets you turn into any alien that touches it, wouldn't you try to start collecting them like pokemon cards rather than just sticking with the 10 basics?

The Omnitrix only accepts DNA from sapient species, and he did gain new aliens fairly often, by the end of Omniverse he had more than 60 of them by my recollection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mr Interweb posted:

Actually, the plot of the episode was that Tom was destined to go to hell because of all his years of badly treating Jerry unless he could get Jerry to forgive him. Jerry initially refuses to sign the document of forgiveness not cause he was trying to be a dick, but because he thought Tom was messing with him. Eventually after much begging, Jerry relents and is about to sign it until time runs out.

Don't get me wrong, Jerry's definitely been a dick in many episodes, but that wasn't one of them.
I love whenever this becomes relevant:
https://youtu.be/fxSujfA-FLE