Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I like turtles posted:

the Remington 870, specifically the Wingmaster and Police variants. You can often find these used at a local pawn shop for $150-$200.

Now, now, don't get the guy's hopes up. If you can negotiate a non-beat-to-poo poo Wingmaster or Police 870 down to $200 plus tax, that's a hell of a deal, and not one that you find often in pawn shops, at least around here.

As for the original question, the biggest differences are probably a tang-mounted safety on Mossberg versus a trigger group-mounted safety on the 870. The Mossberg safety is ambidextrous, but the 870's safety is in a more useful position.

Load it with buckshot, and don't short stroke it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GroovinPickle posted:

The Mossberg safety is ambidextrous, but the 870's safety is in a more useful position.

The Remington is too, you are just using different fingers if you shoot it lefty.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

My 500 was my first ever gun purchase. In my haste to acquire something TACTICAL while also being able to defend my home from TANGOS, I got the one with pistol grip and collapsible stock. I recently switched to a standard synthetic stock and I like that a lot better, not to mention the safety is in a much more natural position. Get a hold of a 500-590 and an 870 and see which one feels more natural to you, can't lose with either.

Also, I keep it loaded with Hornady TAP low-recoil #00 buck

Hope this helps.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

What is the proper pronunciation of Mosin Nagant? (IPA first, then hackneyed attempt at a more readable phonetic spelling after)
I can get the proper pronunciation of Mosin by looking at the Cyrillic, Мосин:

/mosin/, mohi-seen

How about the Nagant? I know he's Belgian, but I don't know what the gently caress that does for the pronunciation of his name. I figure it could be:

/nɑgɑnt/, nah-gahnt
/nɑgɑn/, nah-gahn
/nɑdʒɑnt/, nah-jahnt
/nɑdʒɑn/, nah-jahn

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

I like turtles posted:

What is the proper pronunciation of Mosin Nagant? (IPA first, then hackneyed attempt at a more readable phonetic spelling after)
I can get the proper pronunciation of Mosin by looking at the Cyrillic, Мосин:

/mosin/, mohi-seen

How about the Nagant? I know he's Belgian, but I don't know what the gently caress that does for the pronunciation of his name. I figure it could be:

/nɑgɑnt/, nah-gahnt
/nɑgɑn/, nah-gahn
/nɑdʒɑnt/, nah-jahnt
/nɑdʒɑn/, nah-jahn

My understanding was that it was /mosin/ /nɑgɑn/. Mssr. Nagant had a French name among Belgians, like Dieudonné Saive.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Correct~

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

SadWhaleFamily posted:

My understanding was that it was /mosin/ /nɑgɑn/. Mssr. Nagant had a French name among Belgians, like Dieudonné Saive.

That's how I've always said it, with the French pronunciation of Nagant. No "Nuh-gant" from me, like the rednecks on Youtube.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Illegal Clown posted:

That's how I've always said it, with the French pronunciation of Nagant. No "Nuh-gant" from me, like the rednecks on Youtube.

Well let's be fair, they can't pronounce anything right.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

MOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIINN

That's how I pronounce it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GroovinPickle posted:

As for the original question, the biggest differences are probably a tang-mounted safety on Mossberg versus a trigger group-mounted safety on the 870. The Mossberg safety is ambidextrous, but the 870's safety is in a more useful position.

The other big difference is where the slide release is.

I couldn't decide so I picked up both at a pawnshop.

Also got a nice 500 with wood furniture a short while ago.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

I'm biased towards the 500 since I don't mind if things can wiggle on my guns (provided they don't interfere with operation), despite growing up in a house with three 870's. I think the 870's in general have a better fit and finish but for a workhorse shotgun you can get in the $100-sub $200 price range it's hard to beat. Plus I hate crossbolt safeties, I'm always afraid I might accidentally put it one way or the other.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

The slide release is in the correct place on Mossbergs. The 870 slide release is utterly stupid.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Where is it on the Mossbergs?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

Where it belongs: Behind the trigger guard.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Inspector_71 posted:

Where is it on the Remington?

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Aperture Priority posted:

Where is it on the Remington?

Beside the trigger guard.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Never had a beef with the 870 pump release, considering it's ambi and takes less than a second to depress.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Two quick questions:

I want a Surefire V70 holster to attach to a MOLLE rig, like so:

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

The problem is that the rear loop is solid plastic.

How the gently caress did they manage to get it to go through the PALS webbing?

Will 7.62 Magpuls fit x39 AK mags? Someone on another forum said the 5.56 version does. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing before I drop the money.

iioshius
Apr 22, 2005

Where do you guys go to look for used/cheap guns? I know about AIM surplus, Top Gun Supply, Summit, and Gunbroker, but are there other places to look?

Where do you go to sell your guns? Is a pawn shop a good/reliable place to buy or sell a gun?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

iioshius posted:

Where do you go to sell your guns? Is a pawn shop a good/reliable place to buy or sell a gun?
You can sometimes get a good deal buying one there, usually if it's so unusual that they don't really know what it's worth or so dirt-common that they just want it out the door.

You should never sell a gun to them. You'd be lucky to get half of what it's worth.

iioshius
Apr 22, 2005

Pitch posted:

You should never sell a gun to them. You'd be lucky to get half of what it's worth.

Thanks! Are there any good places to sell them, other than FTF transactions? Most of the gun shops around here either a) don't buy used guns or b) are also pawn shops.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

http://armslist.com http://gunsamerica.com

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

The Automator posted:

Two quick questions:

I want a Surefire V70 holster to attach to a MOLLE rig, like so:

The problem is that the rear loop is solid plastic.

How the gently caress did they manage to get it to go through the PALS webbing?

Will 7.62 Magpuls fit x39 AK mags? Someone on another forum said the 5.56 version does. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing before I drop the money.

You cut it like a repair fastex (on an angle) or you ziptie it.

And no. They fit M14 and FAL mags. They sure dont fit VZ mags which are pretty close to identical to AK mags in terms of dimensions.

5.56 SHOULD stretch No promises. Worst case, you make ghetto pulls with zipties, paracord, and 100MPH tape

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

iioshius posted:

Thanks! Are there any good places to sell them, other than FTF transactions? Most of the gun shops around here either a) don't buy used guns or b) are also pawn shops.

https://www.gunbroker.com

I find Gunbroker tends to generate the best prices.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Gtab posted:

You cut it like a repair fastex (on an angle) or you ziptie it.

And no. They fit M14 and FAL mags. They sure dont fit VZ mags which are pretty close to identical to AK mags in terms of dimensions.

5.56 SHOULD stretch No promises. Worst case, you make ghetto pulls with zipties, paracord, and 100MPH tape

Zipties are the only way I can see it working. I just can't wrap my tiny little brain around how I could cut it to loop through webbing.

Someone talked about boiling the Magpuls for like a minute before stretching them over the AK mags. I'll truck over to the next gun show and see if anyone is selling them individually before I invest in like 8 of them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

The Automator posted:

Someone talked about boiling the Magpuls for like a minute before stretching them over the AK mags. I'll truck over to the next gun show and see if anyone is selling them individually before I invest in like 8 of them.

I find this more funny then I should.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

The Automator posted:

Zipties are the only way I can see it working. I just can't wrap my tiny little brain around how I could cut it to loop through webbing.

Like so. I'd personally prefer zipties but some people who buy gear to basically cosplay in are averse to them so I figured I'd mention the repair cut method.

This cutting method is also how you get fastex replacements etc on stuff without unstitching.

blackknight5k
Oct 22, 2008

I just got a G19 and while practicing reloads I noticed that my short fat thumb has a hell of a time hitting the mag release...is the mag release extension worth the money? and is it allowed in competitions?

On that note are there any must have modifications for the g19 you can recommend?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Gtab posted:

Like so. I'd personally prefer zipties but some people who buy gear to basically cosplay in are averse to them so I figured I'd mention the repair cut method.

This cutting method is also how you get fastex replacements etc on stuff without unstitching.

Okay, I can see how that might work. Cut it like that, bend the plastic over the webbing, then wrap the cut in tape or something so it won't be loose.

I have no beef with zip ties, in fact, I use them in favor of Malice clips or anything like that because I'm cheap as gently caress and they hold things on pretty securely. I tighten them down and use toenail clippers to trim the excess down to the locking tab.

blackknight5k posted:

I just got a G19 and while practicing reloads I noticed that my short fat thumb has a hell of a time hitting the mag release...is the mag release extension worth the money? and is it allowed in competitions?

On that note are there any must have modifications for the g19 you can recommend?

Shifting your hand to hit the magazine release is perfectly okay. I'd recommend training yourself to do that before going out and buying a new magazine release. If you were to get a new mag release, I'd say get the Vickers one.

The only thing a factory Glock needs is new sights.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

iioshius posted:

I've sold a total of one gun in my life, so YMMV but here goes. I found the big "gun emporiums" offer the least, then pawn shops, and the smaller gun stores offered me the most. (Got 300 for my 18 month-old Taurus 24/7 after having been offered ~200 at 3 pawn shops and ~125 at a big gun store)

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

The Automator posted:

Okay, I can see how that might work. Cut it like that, bend the plastic over the webbing, then wrap the cut in tape or something so it won't be loose.

Yeah just like a big grimlock.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Automator posted:

Will 7.62 Magpuls fit x39 AK mags? Someone on another forum said the 5.56 version does.
5.56 magpuls will fit 7.62 and 5.45 AK mags, both steel and poly. No boiling or preheating necessary, though a light olive oil & garlic sauté can really spice them up.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Uncle Caveman posted:

5.56 magpuls will fit 7.62 and 5.45 AK mags, both steel and poly. No boiling or preheating necessary, though a light olive oil & garlic sauté can really spice them up.

rub me with pepper and sear my outsides; savor my juicy insides

dork
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

What is a good single point sling and quick release thingy that I should buy to put on my AR that I will primarily use to wear around the house to freak out my roommates girlfriend?

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

dork posted:

What is a good single point sling and quick release thingy that I should buy to put on my AR that I will primarily use to wear around the house to freak out my roommates girlfriend?

Blueforce is good generally. Magpul has some neato looking ones.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

dork posted:

Given your primary purpose, I'd suggest a 12-gauge shotgun shell bandolier. It's not like she'll know what's wrong with that, and it'd look considerably more

dork
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

chairface posted:

Given your primary purpose, I'd suggest a 12-gauge shotgun shell bandolier. It's not like she'll know what's wrong with that, and it'd look considerably more

Already have one for my 1887, but that looks too speedy gonzalazes meets ren faire, which is why I wanted the more modern looking boomstick.

blueforce I will check out, thanks.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

dork posted:

I have a belt of linked surplus 7.62 NATO ammo for similar purposes. I don't know if it can get more than that.

Ophannin
Mar 11, 2010

Has anyone had any experience with the CZ 75B Single Action (specifically compared to the typical DA/SA)? The most I can find on them is that holsters might be a little harder to find due to the slight difference in frame, but otherwise they, and any real analysis of their performance, seems pretty scarce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Magpul CTR: All polymer construction, yes?

As in, won't show up on an X-ray, yes?