Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Not a suspicious question at all, you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Isn't there a spring or two in there?

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Magpul CTR: All polymer construction, yes?

As in, won't show up on an X-ray, yes?

Mostly polymer, but there are small metal parts like the locking pin or the little sleeve for the QD sling socket.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

gimpsuitjones posted:

That's not how x-rays work.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

Forget it, just get yourself a Glock 7.

hagrd
Aug 25, 2003

they're pretty expensive though..

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

hagrd posted:

they're pretty expensive though..

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Pitch posted:

That's not how x-rays work.

It appears to be, as I went through an airport security check this afternoon with a Hogue AR pistol grip in my backpack and could not see it when I was looking at the X-ray screen as my backpack went through

Really don't give a poo poo what the CTR costs

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

There couldn't possibly exist more than one kind of plastic.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Yes okay we get it, you're smarter than all of us

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pitch posted:

There couldn't possibly exist more than one kind of plastic.

Also, they can and will change detection ranges on a lot of X-RAY machines.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Ophannin posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the CZ 75B Single Action (specifically compared to the typical DA/SA)? The most I can find on them is that holsters might be a little harder to find due to the slight difference in frame, but otherwise they, and any real analysis of their performance, seems pretty scarce.

On a bone-stock 75B SA, you may find the trigger a little creepy compared to a 1911. The ambi safety tends to dig into my index finger when I take a high grip on the pistol, too. They come from the factory with an adjustable overtravel stop in the trigger; if you're planning to carry the gun you might want to remove it, or at least loc-tite the gently caress out of it.

Like all CZs, their accuracy and reliability are outstanding, and outside of the trigger pack they are identical to a 75B in terms of breakdown and operation.
They fit in Safariland duty holsters for standard 75Bs, and in Concealco IWB holsters.

They're not terribly hard to find, and in a pinch you can throw a SA trigger pack into a standard frame. If you're in the market for a trigger job, Angus at CZCustom is apparently the man, if I remember correctly.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

CZ Custom usually has SAs available and you can pile on any extra work you want done before it ever ships!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh, pretty, pretty, Blue Bongo!
Bongo-Bongo Blue!! Yah!

Any interest in an AZ goon shoot (pew pew) in the fall? I'm in the Valley of the Fun, but I'm down to go to Tuscon or meet halfway or whatever.

I'm also asking because I'm gettin' that pink gopher on it's world tour.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The Sphinxster posted:

Any interest in an AZ goon shoot (pew pew) in the fall? I'm in the Valley of the Fun, but I'm down to go to Tuscon or meet halfway or whatever.

I'm also asking because I'm gettin' that pink gopher on it's world tour.

I'd be up for something. I don't know much about areas to shoot between Tucson and Phoenix, though.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh, pretty, pretty, Blue Bongo!
Bongo-Bongo Blue!! Yah!

I was hoping you'd pipe up! I like Sept/Oct, but I'm a big Eskimo and overheat easily.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

mlmp08 posted:

Also, they can and will change detection ranges on a lot of X-RAY machines.

Some will automatically adjust exposure and contrast for the density of items scanned.

ohhhlethal
Dec 4, 2006

doubleGLOCK

Why does the Px4 never get any love? I think that gun is cool as hell

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

ohhhlethal posted:

Why does the Px4 never get any love? I think that gun is cool as hell

Because limp wristed pussies can't get it to cycle right.

Hydrogen_3
Jun 6, 2007

Getting my first gun soon, so I will have to buy ammo for it (9mm). Can anyone give me the quick rundown on the different ammo brands/manufacturers? Info on both target and defense ammo would be great.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

argh dp

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Catdonkey posted:

Getting my first gun soon, so I will have to buy ammo for it (9mm). Can anyone give me the quick rundown on the different ammo brands/manufacturers? Info on both target and defense ammo would be great.

Why 9mm, out of curiosity? Why not a .22?

Hydrogen_3
Jun 6, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Why 9mm, out of curiosity? Why not a .22?

I am going to use it for concealed carry, and won't be able to go shooting that frequently for about a year, by which time I will hopefully have tons of cash and will by one of every gun ever (including a .22).

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Catdonkey posted:

For practice/range ammo it's hard to beat the 100 round value packs of Winchester "white box" that you get at Walmart. Figure about $0.25/round after tax.

For defensive ammo, I and a lot of other people like Speer Gold Dot ammo. I like the 124gr +P stuff, in particular. It comes 50 rounds/box, so I'd buy at least two boxes so you can run a few mags' worth through to test.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

gimpsuitjones posted:

you dont know how x-rays work do you

edit: oh hey another page

welp it needed repeating

Hydrogen_3
Jun 6, 2007

GroovinPickle posted:

For practice/range ammo it's hard to beat the 100 round value packs of Winchester "white box" that you get at Walmart. Figure about $0.25/round after tax.

For defensive ammo, I and a lot of other people like Speer Gold Dot ammo. I like the 124gr +P stuff, in particular. It comes 50 rounds/box, so I'd buy at least two boxes so you can run a few mags' worth through to test.

Any brands to avoid?

Bob Morane
Nov 12, 2008

I like turtles posted:

I'd be up for something. I don't know much about areas to shoot between Tucson and Phoenix, though.
I'd be down also. I know a couple places that would accommodate a goon shoot- one 30 minutes outside Maricopa, and another maybe 20 minutes east of Goodyear.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Catdonkey posted:

Any brands to avoid?

Always avoid Magtech ammo if you can in my opinion. It's not very good!!!!!!!!!

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Catdonkey posted:

Any brands to avoid?

All of those gimmicky frangible bullet rounds.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Catdonkey posted:

Any brands to avoid?

Magtech, Remington UMC, and any reloaded ammo that you didn't make

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Catdonkey posted:

This varies widely. What kind of gun are you buying? handgun? carbine? some handguns are very finicky about the brands of ammo they feed - others, not so much. my glock 19 will eat pretty much any 9mm that i can throw at it. I have no problems shooting wolf, magtech, remington UMC, or any other kind of ammo out of it. really the only thing that I recommend avoiding are somebody else's reloads as you have less of a guarantee that it won't explode on you. that said, even factory loads are not perfect, even the really "nice" brands. my tanfoglio is slightly pickier but still pretty awesome. each pistol will behavior differently with different brands/lots of ammunition.

as for defensive ammo, you can expect to find a trillion and one different opinions on the matter. currently I carry cor-bon DPX 124gr +P jacketed hollow points, but I also have a box of federal hydra-shoks kicking around as well. you can argue ad infinitum what brand hollow point is the "best" for defensive purposes, but generally speaking, people recommend Speer Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester Rangers, among others. nobody can guarantee you that the brand you buy will be the best, but i can guarantee you that shooting somebody 8 times will probably get them to change their mind about trying to hurt you. YMMV.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 24, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I just got some Leight electronic earpro, and I've spent pretty much all day sitting on my couch watching TV while wearing them.

Is that wrong?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

No. Not at all.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

I just got some Leight electronic earpro, and I've spent pretty much all day sitting on my couch watching TV while wearing them.

Is that wrong?

every so often, clap really hard near the mic

Mirconium
Aug 1, 2009

Yeah, I've got a loving question.

Why does tacking "International" onto a competition name automatically make it a billion times harder?

Are Americans basically the pussies of the shooting world or something?

I'm hoping we aren't just pussies with guns in our hands.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Messing around with my Yugo M48 I'm finding that the bolt is hard to raise after firing, even dry firing. Is the spring just that heavy? I've cleaned and lubed, but nothing seems to lower the amount of force necessary to lift it. Suggestions?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Aperture Priority posted:

Messing around with my Yugo M48 I'm finding that the bolt is hard to raise after firing, even dry firing. Is the spring just that heavy? I've cleaned and lubed, but nothing seems to lower the amount of force necessary to lift it. Suggestions?

Have you ever used a cock-on-open bolt action rifle before? What are you comparing it to?

When you say it is "hard" to open, can you still do it one handed, or does it feel mechanically "stuck" and require either excessive force or a mallet etc?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Mirconium posted:

Yeah, I've got a loving question.

Why does tacking "International" onto a competition name automatically make it a billion times harder?

Are Americans basically the pussies of the shooting world or something?

I'm hoping we aren't just pussies with guns in our hands.

what the sweet gently caress are you babbling about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrogen_3
Jun 6, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

This varies widely. What kind of gun are you buying? handgun? carbine? some handguns are very finicky about the brands of ammo they feed - others, not so much. my glock 19 will eat pretty much any 9mm that i can throw at it. I have no problems shooting wolf, magtech, remington UMC, or any other kind of ammo out of it. really the only thing that I recommend avoiding are somebody else's reloads as you have less of a guarantee that it won't explode on you. that said, even factory loads are not perfect, even the really "nice" brands. my tanfoglio is slightly pickier but still pretty awesome. each pistol will behavior differently with different brands/lots of ammunition.

as for defensive ammo, you can expect to find a trillion and one different opinions on the matter. currently I carry cor-bon DPX 124gr +P jacketed hollow points, but I also have a box of federal hydra-shoks kicking around as well. you can argue ad infinitum what brand hollow point is the "best" for defensive purposes, but generally speaking, people recommend Speer Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester Rangers, among others. nobody can guarantee you that the brand you buy will be the best, but i can guarantee you that shooting somebody 8 times will probably get them to change their mind about trying to hurt you. YMMV.

Thanks this is pretty much what I was looking for.

I'm getting a p239 by the way (From Fogtripper)