Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Thanks for the help, folks. I ended up going with the 455, and it is like a fuddy-looking laser. I have never been more delighted to shoot a grandpa gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Thanks for the help, folks. I ended up going with the 455, and it is like a fuddy-looking laser. I have never been more delighted to shoot a grandpa gun.

Good choice. I love mine!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Good choice.

I was on the verge of getting a CZ 455 Varmint, but then I saw the Steyr Scout Rimfire announced and now I'm indecisive again.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone ever attend the Rangemaster Tactical Conference? If so, what was the total budget for the trip inclusive of registration, airfare, rental car, lodging, gas, and buying smart folks a drink after hours to hear them talk more?

I'm tryimg to see if I can possibly swing it for 2019.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

Anyone ever attend the Rangemaster Tactical Conference? If so, what was the total budget for the trip inclusive of registration, airfare, rental car, lodging, gas, and buying smart folks a drink after hours to hear them talk more?

I'm tryimg to see if I can possibly swing it for 2019.

If you see Claude Werner, let me know what he smells like.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm honestly trying to make it work just for a chance to briefly sit in with dudes like him that I could never afford to train with individually. And because I enjoy conference lectures

Also quietly hoping Dave Spaulding makes an appearance. Since he's retiring soon.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm honestly trying to make it work just for a chance to briefly sit in with dudes like him that I could never afford to train with individually. And because I enjoy conference lectures

Also quietly hoping Dave Spaulding makes an appearance. Since he's retiring soon.

I think he's doing a class here in the Upper Peninsula this year; drive on through Canada and you can borrow gear on this end. You can run my 96D if you want.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I should be telling myself that I have local classes pending, am broke, and a busy cycling/hiking/camping/3 gun/IDPA schedule all summer.

Instead, I'm thinking about the nearest car rental place and how it might just be a long day drive. Plus ton of money I don't have.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

Where do you live? Most of those guys do Paul E Palooza in NE Ohio which is a more fun conference.

I've been to rangemaster and it's dope. I didn't spend any money except for travel, hotel, food, and whatever you plan on shooting.

Claude werner smelled like dirty rear end the last time I saw him. It was 105 degrees in a gravel quarry with no shade.

Dave Spaulding is a legend but I've never been particularly impressed with his instruction. He's been at all the Greg Ellifritz classes I've taken since they're bros. I've watched him do really stupid things with unloaded guns including tapping the muzzle against his thigh in boredom, doing the same against the palm of his hand, using unloaded guns with empty mags in to demo combatives, and spinning the gun around on his finger. As I said, everything has been done with an unloaded gun, but things like this are what blue guns are for. poo poo like that just rubs me the wrong way, as he's violating half the cardinal rules for no good reason.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

NH

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

2018 hasn't been announced yet, but if it is happening this year, I'd go to this instead:

http://paulepalooza.com/

It was way more fun. I've been every year.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

The Automator posted:

Where do you live? Most of those guys do Paul E Palooza in NE Ohio which is a more fun conference.
Man, this is pretty close to me, but seems a bit...operatory. Is the reality fairly chill?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Man, this is pretty close to me, but seems a bit...operatory. Is the reality fairly chill?

None of the guys teaching there are of the Haley-ilk. They're all realistic, squared away dudes who are far more interested in reality than seeing how fast you can mag dump ARs in targets 5 feet away.

They're also all cool as gently caress and laid back.

It's a tribute to the spirit of Paul Gomez, who was a tactical hippy. Watch some of his Youtube videos. He was a weirdo who would show up to classes in a drug rug and kilt while blasting angry lesbian folk songs.

A video I took at the first event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8VqoPMrB9Q

That should give you a taste of the vibe there.

Edit: Haha, you can see Werner wandering around in the back

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Ok, yeah, that does not look like an airsoft with real bullets event. May have to check that out.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Need link to angry lesbian folk.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I'd probably start with Maxine Feldman

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

grassy gnoll posted:

Nice I just bought one as well can't wait to try it out.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I looked and didn't see a thread for it. Do we have a thread or just any general info on 9mm carbines?

I'm most interested in a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 but I really don't know what else is out there aside from a hipoint, which I guess isn't terrible, or a keltec or Beretta storm which don’t interest me. I really like the look of the CZ, but it's pricy.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The pcc thread would be your best bet.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

OWLS! posted:

The pcc thread would be your best bet.

Missed that one. Thanks.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-t3T0_bFkE

This video is making me wonder... off the shelf carry guns these days make gunsmith services to cut down a full size gun obsolete, but what are similar kinds of total reworkings like this that you'd see today? Competition guns not included, of course people are gonna throw their wallet at a gunsmith so they can win harder so I'd expect crazy poo poo in that department. Like there's that Glock that folds in half... what else?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 18, 2018

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

There really isn't, the need just isn't there anymore, unfortunately. Gunsmiths nowadays mostly make guns to customer requests, not make a novel design and market it to sell multiples. Truth be told, gunsmiths basically don't market anymore, most don't need to because they're swamped in years worth of backlogs without even having to advertise, word of mouth just travels.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Friar Zucchini posted:

what are similar kinds of total reworkings like this that you'd see today?

About the only thing that comes to mind is the industry built around upgrading carry Glocks (companies like IGFS and ATEI for example). It's not a competition demographic, but people are spending upwards of a thousand bucks to have more aggressive slide serrations, recontoured frames, undercut trigger guards, magazine baseplate cutouts, and so forth - all practical modifications to some degree.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Pursesnatcher posted:

Oooh, thanks! Udvar-Hazy is on the itinerary already, but the NRA Museum was news to me. Hope I'll be able to squeeze it in!

Wasn't able to squeeze it in, but holy balls Udvar-Hazy was amazing. Spent a whole day of wide-eyed amazement and that place, and could easily have spent another two. Even the simulators were fun. Enola was a bit eerie though, tbcfh.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pursesnatcher posted:

Wasn't able to squeeze it in, but holy balls Udvar-Hazy was amazing. Spent a whole day of wide-eyed amazement and that place, and could easily have spent another two. Even the simulators were fun. Enola was a bit eerie though, tbcfh.

Yeah, that place is amazing, and then you see the enola gay just out there with the other planes and...

Eerie is a word for it I guess.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

"Oh hey, they have a B-29 here!... <reads plaque> Oh, it's that B-29."

The thing that struck me the most was how small it was.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Yeah, the Superfortress is one of those "she's actual size, but she seems much bigger to me" planes; you just expect a giant aluminum hell-phallus to LOOM more, especially when it's capable of carrying so much baggage.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

Having grown up in Fairfax, I've been to both the NRA museum and Udvar-Hazy more times than I can count. (The NRA museum is less than a mile from my parents' house).

I still enjoy going to both of them when people come in from out of town.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Mortabis posted:

Having grown up in Fairfax, I've been to both the NRA museum and Udvar-Hazy more times than I can count. (The NRA museum is less than a mile from my parents' house).

I still enjoy going to both of them when people come in from out of town.

That first room that has the eclectic collection of drop dead gorgeous/amazing guns and has giant carved elephant tucks is the happiest place on earth, not Disney.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Yeah, the Superfortress is one of those "she's actual size, but she seems much bigger to me" planes; you just expect a giant aluminum hell-phallus to LOOM more, especially when it's capable of carrying so much baggage.

This is solved by going to Dayton and standing under the B-36. It makes the BUFF seem small.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

stealie72 posted:

This is solved by going to Dayton and standing under the B-36. It makes the BUFF seem small.
Yeah but I hate the B-36 for killing the YB-49 (with bonus industrial sabotage!) before somebody could get around to showing Jack Northrop a picture of one of Horten's triangle tails, so...

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe

Grimey Drawer

The B-17 is also not that big compared to modern aircraft, especially ones with internal jet engines. A B-17 is about 74 feet long, and an F-15 is a little over 63. The P-51 is 32 feet long for comparison.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the NRA museum should really have some kind of joint rental program with the NRA range, right now it's pretty much someone's fancy walk-in gun safe where you're not allowed to touch anything

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 19, 2018

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the NRA museum should really have some kind of joint rental program with the NRA range, right now it's pretty much someone's fancy walk-in gun safe where you're not allowed to touch anything

Get a job there. I saw a video they did for their YouTube or some other video site where people that worked their picked their favorite gun and shot it a little.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Whoever recommended the Vibra-Tite threadlocker (Dr. Grape Ape I think?) - thank you. Seems to be Superior to loctite in almost every way. I've only used it on one optic rail and one holster so far but I'm really happy with it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Get a job there. I saw a video they did for their YouTube or some other video site where people that worked their picked their favorite gun and shot it a little.

look if you can convince the NRA to start making gyrojet rounds I might consider getting a membership, let alone working for those dudes

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

look if you can convince the NRA to start making gyrojet rounds I might consider getting a membership, let alone working for those dudes

loving making gyrojet rounds, just make gyrojets again. SBRs without needing a stamp because they're smoothbore? What's not to love.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Party Plane Jones posted:

loving making gyrojet rounds, just make gyrojets again. SBRs without needing a stamp because they're smoothbore? What's not to love.

That may be an actual good use case for that straight rifling rule. Just make it very shallow so it had little affect on the round.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Aren't those guys with the doofy Not-An-SBR trying to make their own dart-based rounds for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Aren't those guys with the doofy Not-An-SBR trying to make their own dart-based rounds for it?

Yeah. They look like nerf footballs, effectively some weird sabot round. They have to machine them individually. They're going to cost a loving fortune.