Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Get out with the 10/22 poo poo. CZ 455 or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

His Purple Majesty posted:

I'd like to have something I can learn to shoot with, something to defend my apartment and possibly use for hunting?

If you want one rifle that will do all three get an AR. Maybe consider getting a 10/22 or some other .22 rifle as well if you want to buy two guns. Starting with a decent AR and shooting 5.56 is how basically everybody in the military learns how to shoot and it works out pretty well. Don’t worry about the recoil or 5.56 giving you bad habits or whatever, that’s a concern with handguns and full-size rifle calibers but 5.56 is not at all a difficult round to learn on.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What is a good starter rifle for a clueless rear end in a top hat, and should it be a bolt action or semi auto?
CZ 455. The 10/22 has a huge aftermarket, but a CZ 455 is basically perfect out of the box. Just add a sling and you're ready to go learn some rifle marksmanship.

e:fb

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

AR recoil (in 5.56) is nothing at all to worry about.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Huh, am I the only one who got tagged with a new avatar?

Kinda weird, since I don't post outside of TFR.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

I have a 10/22 and a CZ455. For someone brand new who doesn't know what they want or like to shoot I think the 10/22 is a little more flexible. It's definitely not as nice as the 455, but its a cheaper place to start and you can either build it up into what you want or learn on it and buy a 455 later.

If someone new even remotely thought they'd prefer a bolt action I'd say CZ455, 100% Either choice is good imo.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

5.56 AR with a drop in .22lr kit for plonkin'

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Come to the Detroit thread. We've been wondering about it for a few pages.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

You can also get a $100 single shot 22 at a pawnshop and learn to shoot like your grandpa did. They're way more fun than they should be.

Nobody has come out and said it yet, but nobody who likes shooting ends up with one gun to do everything.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

Nobody has come out and said it yet, but nobody who likes shooting ends up with one gun to do everything.

I'd add "Would you ever settle on just one car for all your motoring needs? A Volvo station wagon might be practical, but would anyone who actually enjoys driving get one of those for both touring, off-roading, speed thrills and as a daily driver? Nope. It's the same thing with guns".

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah. The 357mag case is 3mm longer than the 38special. You get a ring of crud and soot right where the case ends, and if you shoot a lot of 38, then shoot 357 the tip of the case will expand into that ring of crud and get stuck.

I see it all the time in revolver competitions when people who shoot 99% 38 special load up 357 then have to spend several minutes banging on the ejector rod to unstick the cases. Just clean the chamber(s) occasionally and it's not a problem.

e: Beeb's problem doesn't seem related to this though, seems more like there's some play in the bolt or chamber that causes the case to crack near the head.

Javid posted:

Now THAT sounds like a bad chamber. :|

Found a piece of the Federal brass I put through the gun. Macro mode on my phone is kinda iffy but you can see a pretty obvious bulge right where the S&B brass broke off:

I'm gonna see how the cowboy Magtech ammo I've got coming gets on with the gun. If it happens again I guess I'm calling Uberti

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infrared35 posted:

Nope, there's been a bit of an avatar war it seems.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

What is a good starter rifle for a clueless rear end in a top hat, and should it be a bolt action or semi auto?

I HIGHLY recommend a ruger american ranch in 5.56 with a 4x blister pack scope. You can find them for $399 or so, put on a $40 scope, and spend the rest of your money on ammo. It's an insanely handy and good rifle.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Is there a G19 rifle conversion kit that is worth anything other than running around yelling "pew pew!" ?

Once I get my AR, I'll have one of every gun I need to 3 gun. Then it's time to ACCESSORISE!

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Mechtech CCU, but just get a 9mm AR15 that uses Glock mags.

e: yay me!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Craptacular posted:

Mechtech CCU, but just get a 9mm AR15 that uses Glock mags.

e: yay me!

https://www.armsunlimited.com/CAA-RONI-G2-9-Glock-Pistol-to-Carbine-Stock-p/roni-g2-9.htm

But but but, Battleship Troopers Babylon 5 maaaaan!

Oh poo poo your AV!

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You've got to SBR your Glock to use a Roni, unless you find a 16" Glock barrel. But if you're going to SBR it then use a stock that doesn't look like a tumor. https://www.botach.com/fab-defense-glock-pistol-collapsible-stocks/

FWIW this is supposedly the best Glock SBR stock, but it's not in production right now so the FAB Defense one is an OK substitute.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Craptacular posted:

You've got to SBR your Glock to use a Roni, unless you find a 16" Glock barrel. But if you're going to SBR it then use a stock that doesn't look like a tumor. https://www.botach.com/fab-defense-glock-pistol-collapsible-stocks/

FWIW this is supposedly the best Glock SBR stock, but it's not in production right now so the FAB Defense one is an OK substitute.

Unless you want to throw a SIG Brace on a ROni chassis so it's still a "pistol."

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Get out with the 10/22 poo poo. CZ 455 or bust.

can't wait to shoot mine for the first time tomorrow

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Found a piece of the Federal brass I put through the gun. Macro mode on my phone is kinda iffy but you can see a pretty obvious bulge right where the S&B brass broke off:

I'm gonna see how the cowboy Magtech ammo I've got coming gets on with the gun. If it happens again I guess I'm calling Uberti
That's definitely a bad chamber. Nothing you can do about it either, just call uberti and get a replacement.

If you shine a light through the barrel and look into the chamber you can probably see an indent in the chamber wall.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 27, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

stealie72 posted:

You can also get a $100 single shot 22 at a pawnshop and learn to shoot like your grandpa did. They're way more fun than they should be.

At this point I'm pretty confident that I could do everything I want to do with guns with just two of mine, and I kinda wish I'd just gotten those to begin with, but I'm still not getting rid of the rest that I already owned cause gently caress you that's why

Pursesnatcher posted:

I'd add "Would you ever settle on just one car for all your motoring needs? A Volvo station wagon might be practical, but would anyone who actually enjoys driving get one of those for both touring, off-roading, speed thrills and as a daily driver? Nope. It's the same thing with guns".

lol

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

At this point I'm pretty confident that I could do everything I want to do with guns with just two of mine, and I kinda wish I'd just gotten those to begin with, but I'm still not getting rid of the rest that I already owned cause gently caress you that's why

I'm down to two complete guns and an AR upper for personal use, and that covers all the shooting I care to do. At some point I should pick up another shotgun, but no rush on that because I don't like to shoot shotguns.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I haven't done much with guns since I got out of the Navy outside of video games.

Among people who are into guns, how interchangeable are the terms .22 and .223?
Like if someone was talking about a rifle that fires 5.56x45mm rounds, would you refer to it as a .22 rifle? Or would you normally reserve the .22 designation to refer to the tiny little .22 lr rounds only?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I haven't done much with guns since I got out of the Navy outside of video games.

Like if someone was talking about a rifle that fires 5.56x45mm rounds, would you refer to it as a .22 rifle? Or would you normally reserve the .22 designation to refer to the tiny little .22 lr rounds only?

Generally when I hear ".22" my mind goes to .22lr.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Yeah, .22 means .22lr 99% of the time.

The only time I've ever heard .223 referred to as .22 is when people are disparaging it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Okay, that jives with my general perception, but like I said, I don't really keep up with things and I'm not so arrogant to assume that the minimal weapons training I got in the Navy makes me an expert.

Thanks!

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

👍

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Yeah, if someone's calling a 5.56 a .22 they're either being sassy or they're talking about the basic diameter. I still need to get a .22LR conversion bolt for my AR sometime.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Okay, that jives with my general perception, but like I said, I don't really keep up with things and I'm not so arrogant to assume that the minimal weapons training I got in the Navy makes me an expert.

Thanks!

You gonna fit in, stay a while

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so
i dont have to keep
telling you retards
what happened

Lipstick Apathy

I believe it may have ostensibly exempted .223 from some state weapons ban by the original language being “.22 caliber exempt” until someone wised up and changed it to “.22LR” or “rimfire” or both. Can’t find the reference, maybe it’s a old wives tale.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Basically the only time you'll see it used by anyone/anything in the industry to include all 22 caliber stuff is if it's a product like a bore snake or brush or something for 22 caliber barrels. In those cases though it'll say "22 caliber" not just 22.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

One more question. I remember that there was a lot of hype a few years back over the Mateba Autorevolver. Was that thing actually cool, or was it more like the Bitcoin of guns?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One more question. I remember that there was a lot of hype a few years back over the Mateba Autorevolver. Was that thing actually cool, or was it more like the Bitcoin of guns?

It was actually cool.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LifeSizePotato

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Mechanically interesting, charming in media appearances (Ghost In The Shell comes to mind), but quite expensive for the additional features.
To my understanding, some of the recoil energy from each round was captured in pulling the hammer back for shots after the first. I'd consider this quite desirable if I were living somewhere where semi-autos were verboten.
They're rather rare, but the Chiappa Rhino uses a similar mechanism and is still in production if you're interested.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Mateba did a number of odd revolver designs, but people tend to just think of the semi-auto one.

The Rhino is a lovely lookalike that has none of the cool factor.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

poeticoddity posted:

Mechanically interesting, charming in media appearances (Ghost In The Shell comes to mind), but quite expensive for the additional features.
To my understanding, some of the recoil energy from each round was captured in pulling the hammer back for shots after the first. I'd consider this quite desirable if I were living somewhere where semi-autos were verboten.
They're rather rare, but the Chiappa Rhino uses a similar mechanism and is still in production if you're interested.
The entire cylinder and barrel assembly of the Mateba Unica slides backward on recoil, cocking the hammer and advancing the cylinder to the next round, making it DA/SA. The Rhino looks similar at a glance because it has a flat-sided cylinder and fires from the 6 o'clock position, but it's mechanically a normal revolver.

Edit: the Mateba is really just a neat gimmick though. It doesn't do anything better than other guns (I mean, maybe it's the best DA/SA in .454 Cassull, but that's a weird niche), it just looks weird and is mechanically interesting and it was in an anime. (but even then, some of the media appearances it was notable for were actually the less well-known 2006M, which is a normal revolver)

Pitch fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 29, 2018

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Pitch posted:

The entire cylinder and barrel assembly of the Mateba Unica slides backward on recoil, cocking the hammer and advancing the cylinder to the next round, making it DA/SA. The Rhino looks similar at a glance because it has a flat-sided cylinder and fires from the 6 o'clock position, but it's mechanically a normal revolver.

Edit: the Mateba is really just a neat gimmick though. It doesn't do anything better than other guns (I mean, maybe it's the best DA/SA in .454 Cassull, but that's a weird niche), it just looks weird and is mechanically interesting and it was in an anime. (but even then, some of the media appearances it was notable for were actually the less well-known 2006M, which is a normal revolver)

Good to know. I thought the Rhino was self-cocking after the first shot, but if that's not the case, it's not really a reasonable comparison to the Mateba.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Sperglord Actual posted:

Mateba did a number of odd revolver designs, but people tend to just think of the semi-auto one.

The Rhino is a lovely lookalike that has none of the cool factor.

H8rs gonna h8

:iamafag:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

"The Bitcoin of guns" is a pretty good label given the whole one guy owns 90% of them and is making a killing doling them out to suckers for 6k a pop thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Collateral Damage posted:

That's definitely a bad chamber. Nothing you can do about it either, just call uberti and get a replacement.

If you shine a light through the barrel and look into the chamber you can probably see an indent in the chamber wall.

gently caress I wonder if Uberti could rebarrel it, cause Carbohydrates put a whole mess of go fast parts in it. Looking in the chamber I don't see anything out of the ordinary, though I can only really see the area where a cartridge would be loaded into the barrel as the '73s have a long rear end chamber and disassembling to get the bolt out is a really drat tedious process.

Think I might go make an account on a cowboy shooting forum and let those folks weigh in too.