Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

DakianDelomast posted:

Ok but how moral are you? You could "send the gun off to have a background check" stash it under your bed, and have one of us write up an official looking email saying the gun is clear.

I'm 8 hours away and and only slightly less moral than the pope. I called to feel out her position and she just wants to do due diligence. If she gets any sort of reassurance then she's fine with it. She just has no idea who to ask.

E: She would probably have let me just take it if I was there, but she wants to register it, so she wants to know what's going to happen if she tries to file papers on a gun marked the way it is.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

DakianDelomast posted:

Ok but how moral are you? You could "send the gun off to have a background check" stash it under your bed, and have one of us write up an official looking email saying the gun is clear.

Seriously. Even if you have a very strict anti-gun family, there is nothing at all illegal about that gun as described. They will say all sorts of things about registering it and...

Wait a sec. I can't think of anywhere this would apply to a 1911, but do you live in a restrictive state?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Seriously. Even if you have a very strict anti-gun family, there is nothing at all illegal about that gun as described. They will say all sorts of things about registering it and...

Wait a sec. I can't think of anywhere this would apply to a 1911, but do you live in a restrictive state?

I'm in Iowa and she's in Virginia. I just checked and VA has no registration. Lemme give her another call.

E: She still wants to ask. I think I'm just going to let her do her thing.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 4, 2018

MrBusiness
Jan 19, 2016

-Zydeco- posted:

E: She would probably have let me just take it if I was there, but she wants to register it, so she wants to know what's going to happen if she tries to file papers on a gun marked the way it is.

Register it with who? If she wants to make sure somebody in the government knows she has it for whatever reason, she could just write a letter to the local PD that says something to the effect of "In case you wanted to know, I have a 1911 handgun with serial number X".

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

-Zydeco- posted:

I'm in Iowa and she's in Virginia. I just checked and VA has no registration. Lemme give her another call.

Yeah, you're absolutely fine. The government property stamp is like a tag on a mattress. It only matters if you are trying to sell it illegally.

Let us know if you need a hand with shipping info.

If your mom comes at you with anything weird, post it here and we will help you through it. We aren't a very judgemental firearms forum as long as you don't buy a loving Taurus auto.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

For real no one will bat an eye at the US Property mark. Companies sell factory-new guns marked that way just for nostalgia.

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

-Zydeco- posted:

I'm 8 hours away and and only slightly less moral than the pope. I called to feel out her position and she just wants to do due diligence. If she gets any sort of reassurance then she's fine with it. She just has no idea who to ask.

Again, I am not a lawyer here but my knowledge is that so long as it's a part of your grandfather's estate it's not an issue until someone goes to claim it. At such time they will fill out a 4473 form, go through a background check, that serial will be filed in the paperwork for the FFL dealer, and the owner will take possession. The gun will never be registered and in fact can be mailed to a C&R FFL holder since it's over 50 years old.

The official reason is that the US Government Property mark is for tax code reasons for equipment loaned to GI's for service. Your grandfather likely got a sample gun from army surplus and kept it for testing. When the testing was done asked what do they do with it, and the director shrugged and said "I wouldn't know if it didn't show up tomorrow." Stuff like that is more common than not and there's not some digital database of serialized 1911s to reference this against.

You'll rarely see an FFL get fussy about not having bring back papers with the gun but no one actually cares. There's no prosecution for possession of an item this old.

See also the glass insulators you see at antique shops all over the country.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

DakianDelomast posted:

Again, I am not a lawyer here but my knowledge is that so long as it's a part of your grandfather's estate it's not an issue until someone goes to claim it. At such time they will fill out a 4473 form, go through a background check, that serial will be filed in the paperwork for the FFL dealer, and the owner will take possession. The gun will never be registered and in fact can be mailed to a C&R FFL holder since it's over 50 years old.

The official reason is that the US Government Property mark is for tax code reasons for equipment loaned to GI's for service. Your grandfather likely got a sample gun from army surplus and kept it for testing. When the testing was done asked what do they do with it, and the director shrugged and said "I wouldn't know if it didn't show up tomorrow." Stuff like that is more common than not and there's not some digital database of serialized 1911s to reference this against.

You'll rarely see an FFL get fussy about not having bring back papers with the gun but no one actually cares. There's no prosecution for possession of an item this old.

See also the glass insulators you see at antique shops all over the country.

Apparently the gov Mark is different than the normal somehow. I'll pass on the info. Thanks.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

-Zydeco- posted:

Apparently the gov Mark is different than the normal somehow. I'll pass on the info. Thanks.

Do it, ask for a picture.

I recently experienced, with my own mother, having a firearm taken while I was in hospital and hearing tons of arguments about needed it registered with the FBI and poo poo. I had to threaten a lawyer and the cops to get it back. That is clearly not your situation, but if your mother is similarly resolute she will come up with some weird arguments.

Without getting sappy, a vet's sidearm is a huge deal to them. If you and your grandfather got along, it's worth fighting a little to keep something he treasured.

Good luck man!

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Do it, ask for a picture.

I recently experienced, with my own mother, having a firearm taken while I was in hospital and hearing tons of arguments about needed it registered with the FBI and poo poo. I had to threaten a lawyer and the cops to get it back. That is clearly not your situation, but if your mother is similarly resolute she will come up with some weird arguments.

Without getting sappy, a vet's sidearm is a huge deal to them. If you and your grandfather got along, it's worth fighting a little to keep something he treasured.

Good luck man!

My grandfather was a chemical engineer and spent the war in a lab in Maryland doing science experiments for the Navy. The closest thing he had to a treasured side arm was his slide rule which I definitely made sure I kept.

Mom won't do anything rash unless someone with actual authority tells he she has to do it. Her main worry is that the gov would sieze the gun back if it was registered and that there might be a legal penalty for possessing the gun if it were illegal.

She has no issue with guns but won't have me taking any under the table firearms for fear of me being caught with it later and being in legal trouble.

After talking to her I'm not worried about her preemptively surrendering the gun just in case. I'll post a picture of the mark when she sends it to me and post the final results. Thanks for the help.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Awesome! Glad it sounds like you can reason with her.

It's common myth that guns have to be registered. Nope. You just have to be able to pass a NICS background check! There is no firearm registry.

Edit : And genuinely curious about the rollmark (Gov stamp) on a chemical engineer's gun!

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

-Zydeco- posted:

My grandfather was a chemical engineer and spent the war in a lab in Maryland doing science experiments for the Navy. The closest thing he had to a treasured side arm was his slide rule which I definitely made sure I kept.

Mom won't do anything rash unless someone with actual authority tells he she has to do it. Her main worry is that the gov would sieze the gun back if it was registered and that there might be a legal penalty for possessing the gun if it were illegal.

She has no issue with guns but won't have me taking any under the table firearms for fear of me being caught with it later and being in legal trouble.

After talking to her I'm not worried about her preemptively surrendering the gun just in case. I'll post a picture of the mark when she sends it to me and post the final results. Thanks for the help.

Interested in the markings as well. That said, there are two proper ways for you to take possession. Assuming you are not still considered a resident of VA:

1. You talk to a gun shop local to you about doing a transfer. Ask them specifically if they'll accept shipments from individuals. If yes, have your mom package the gun well and ship it via UPS/FedEx to that gun store. You'll then go in, fill out the 4473, and have a background check performed. If you get a proceed, you pay the gun shop and walk out with it.

2. Replace the part with your mom shipping the gun with: Have your mom take the gun to a local gun shop, and ask them to ship it to the gun shop near you. She'll need contact info for that shop to provide to the shipper.

If you are still a resident of VA, then this becomes more of a state law thing. Which I'm totally ignorant of VA's laws. Worst case you both walk into a gun shop, with the 1911. Ask them if they'll do a background check for a person to person transfer.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Every 1911 and 1917 the government owned were marked that way, don't worry about it. The government has/is currently getting rid of all those guns. They don't want it back, no one is going to come for you or the gun. Keep it, it's awesome.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

-Zydeco- posted:

Unfortunately the lab did a large amount of works with plastics for the Navy and the coatings experiments were apparently a minor side project. Everyone that worked there is also dead at this point (grandfather got to 98 and he was about the same age as the rest of the team), so other than his word there is no provenance. I wouldn't sell it any way. I much prefer to have some one off weapon my grandfather experimented on at the behest of the US Government than some cash.

The coating is also just Teflon I believe which was space age in the 50s when it got put on, but I imagine is pretty humdrum nowadays.
Looking forward to pics. Even without documented provenance it's a collectible gun with family history to boot.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

-Zydeco- posted:

They will not, the DOD does not even have the formal means to do anything with the gun (besides throw it out) if she were to try to give it back to them. WW2 paperwork wasn't the tightest to begin with and milsurp went all the hell over the place by the trainload after the war, the government really didn't care much then and it absolutely doesn't care now. Let her know about gunbroker:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771407519
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769454292
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771606793
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/772201664
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/772400585

It's like noticing the dollar bill in your wallet is an old print and worrying that it might have once been stolen in a bank robbery by the Dillinger gang, and a kajillion owners into the game of hot potato you're the one the FBI's going to finally come after to get it back.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 4, 2018

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

I'm way the hell over in Norway, and even here there's a bunch of old "US GOVERNMENT PROPERTY" 1911's floating about. GI's were apparently handing them out like candy during the war.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

-Zydeco- posted:

There is no one in authority she can ask specifically if the gun was sold from the government or if it walked away at some point. There is no record of any of this. There is no magical database to check.

This is literally the equivalent of "so hey I found an old army jacket in my grandpa's trunk from WW2, is there anyone at the DOD I can call and find out if he bought it in 1945 or just came home with it?"

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I knew I posted pictures back when we were first documenting everything in the estate.

Here's the mark. Looks standard to me.

And an imgr gallery of the rest of the pictures. It's a sort of navy blue in person that doesn't show well in the pictures.

E: She is satisfied. She's asking the attorney if she should transfer the pistol to herself and then me or to me directly.

EE: By the way, if anyone is interested in these kinds of experiments look into the Naval ordinance Laboratory in White Oak. Lots of the work was very technical and bland, but they did get up to some some more interesting activities such as developing what was essentially an artillery suppressor so they could test fuses indoors. (appendix C). Some of the alumni from the site wrote an incredibly dense book about their activities that I need to read at some point.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 5, 2018

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH

-Zydeco- posted:

I knew I posted pictures back when we were first documenting everything in the estate.

And an imgr gallery of the rest of the pictures.

That looks awesome and I love anything with the Rand Corp involved. I would keep it for sure. Hell Iíd probably pay a pretty penny for it.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

loud-bob posted:

That looks awesome and I love anything with the Rand Corp involved. I would keep it for sure. Hell Iíd probably pay a pretty penny for it.
Unrelated. Remington Rand made typewriters.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

Pitch posted:

IIRC they were also the major producer of 1911s during the war.

edit: serial # range puts it at 1944 for manufacture apparently.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 5, 2018

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Pitch posted:

I'm not sure why I didn't put that together before. I have a Remington Rand typewriter.

E: oh and thanks again for the assistance y'all.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 5, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

-Zydeco- posted:

I'm not sure why I didn't put that together before. I have a Remington Rand typewriter.

E: oh and thanks again for the assistance y'all.

That is an insanely desirable gun. IF you sell it, link the sale here.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Captain Log posted:

That is an insanely desirable gun. IF you sell it, link the sale here.

I'm going to have to get pretty bad off before I think about selling it, but what makes it more desirable? Condition is good I assume, but I figured the coating and no provenance would hurt it's value.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

-Zydeco- posted:

I'm going to have to get pretty bad off before I think about selling it, but what makes it more desirable? Condition is good I assume, but I figured the coating and no provenance would hurt it's value.

It has provenance because you know the story. Sometimes that's enough to bump a price up. Glad to hear you are keeping it!

1911's aren't my thing, but if you pop that into the 1911 thread you'll have a real expert tell you about it. A 1944 manufactured WWII gun that had experiments performed on it would be someone's absolute jam.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Keep the 1911, just for giggles. If you have kids one day give it to them and tell the story. If you dont have kids give it to a neice or nephew and tell the story. Be the rad uncle.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Captain Log posted:

It has provenance because you know the story. Sometimes that's enough to bump a price up. Glad to hear you are keeping it!

1911's aren't my thing, but if you pop that into the 1911 thread you'll have a real expert tell you about it. A 1944 manufactured WWII gun that had experiments performed on it would be someone's absolute jam.
That's not provenance though. Provenance would be paperwork or ARPA documents showing that serial number in some weird coatings project. We're free to say it's neat here with no strings attached but to an actual buyer that's a refinished gun with a crazy story about how the Navy refinished it on purpose to make it low-drag (). Gunbroker is full of 1911s with stories attached to them, and only chumps pay extra for it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Anybody able to help a dude out with values? I have been out of the shooting game for a long time now and I figure I might as well sell off at least some of my collection since it's just gathering dust otherwise. Some of it is pretty common, other stuff not so much which makes it a little harder to figure out online. I thought some combined TFR knowledge might be able to give me a hand. I have:

Hopkins & Allen Mfg Co .32 short nickle-plated top break pocket revolver with rubber grips, nickle is all there, not quite as shiny as it used to be.
Trocaola Aranzabal Y Cia .32 S&W long revolver, Spanish S&W Hand Ejector/M&P clone.
Iver Johnson Uberti-built Cattleman SAA .44 Magnum 7.5in barrel.
Walther P1 9mm w/holster and spare magazine, slide dated 7/59.
Marlin Model 336 .30-30 with a recoil pad, manufactured I think in 1964. Missing rear sight and has been drilled for a scope.
Remington Model 81 .300 Savage with Redfield peep sight and a recoil pad, manufactured Oct. 1947.
Yugo M24/47 8mm Mauser with sling and bayo. The barrel is kinda worn out and it needs either a firing pin or a spring to be able to shoot again.

All are in what I'd say is good shape. Not perfect, some wear here and there, but still in good working order (aside from the problems with the M24/47). No real dogs in the bunch, at least condition-wise. I saw a P1 with a bid for $500 on Gunbroker, but that one had four extra mags and a second pair of grips.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Pitch posted:

...only chumps pay extra for it.

Precisely. I'm not advocating ripping anyone off, but having a cool story to go with the gun will help a touch with value.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

-Zydeco- posted:

And an imgr gallery of the rest of the pictures. It's a sort of navy blue in person that doesn't show well in the pictures.

Somewhere in the universe, beetle just got an unexplainable semi.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Anyone know of a railed attachment that either incorporates iron sights or allows you to raise them and push them forward on the gun. For the use case of running irons on like an AR pistol or a PDW?

I could just roll with a red dot with a riser but I really like having irons and the positioning/shouldering the brace doesn't really work ergonomically for irons directly on the upper/hand guard rail.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Super 3 posted:

Anyone know of a railed attachment that either incorporates iron sights or allows you to raise them and push them forward on the gun. For the use case of running irons on like an AR pistol or a PDW?

I could just roll with a red dot with a riser but I really like having irons and the positioning/shouldering the brace doesn't really work ergonomically for irons directly on the upper/hand guard rail.

Not sure what you're asking. Are you looking for a way to raise the sights up above the rail on an AR?

I'm not quite sure why you coudln't just throw a set of MBUIS on an AR pistol / shorty SBR and call it good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

random googled image to illustrate my point, but really it was jsut the first one that you can see the fold down sights easily. Pretty much every result for a GIS of "AR15 PDW" has some flavor of folding sight on it with a red dot.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Yeah, if the bog standard folding backup sights aren't high enough for how you shoot, just put 'em on a small riser until they are. You can get an assortment of various heights on eBay for five or six bucks each, and if you then want to replace the Chinesium risers with actual good ones you'll know exactly the height to look for.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Super 3 posted:

sounds like you want something like this?

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/_p/BUR410340.htm

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so
i dont have to keep
telling you retards
what happened

Lipstick Apathy

I have a brand new G19.4 and RMR (Type 2 adjustable) that Iím going to send to ATEi to smoosh together. How many rounds would you guys put through the gun and the RMR (on a Baylor mount) before voiding the warranty on the gun and having it custom cut for that particular RMR? I feel like Iím a magnet for stuff going wrong so Iíd like to shake stuff out a bit before I get it back and the RMR dies or the gun wonít cycle cause of an actual warranty worthy issue (as opposed to what Iím having done to it).

Also if Iím gonna put a KKM barrel in it down the road, thereís no issue breaking it in with the stock barrel and dropping the KKM in later, right? Or is there something to be said for wearing the slide in with the barrel that will eventually live in it? Not after the ultimate accuracy, more interested in reliability.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Does anyone know where I can find the hole to ole measurements for Limbsaver Grind to fit recoil pads?
Even on the website, it just gives the length/width and the minimum size they can be ground to.
I opened up the Template PDF, switched to actual size and tried measuring, but I don't quite trust the screen size as being actual size.
I ain't got a printer.

For whatever its worth, I'm looking for one thats 3 1/8" inches hole to hole.
I've installed then before, and know that in the instructions they say to drill out the old screw holes, glue dowels in, cut flush then drill new screw holes, but I'd like to avoid that poo poo if I can.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

wesleywillis posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the hole to ole measurements for Limbsaver Grind to fit recoil pads?
Even on the website, it just gives the length/width and the minimum size they can be ground to.
I opened up the Template PDF, switched to actual size and tried measuring, but I don't quite trust the screen size as being actual size.
I ain't got a printer.

For whatever its worth, I'm looking for one thats 3 1/8" inches hole to hole.
I've installed then before, and know that in the instructions they say to drill out the old screw holes, glue dowels in, cut flush then drill new screw holes, but I'd like to avoid that poo poo if I can.

When I did a grind to fit Limbsaver I had to drill a new hole to get the center locations correct for what itís worth. I feel like itís sort of a given with something custom like that. I actually drilled the limbsaver rather than the stock on mine. Itís not bad if you drill from the hard side of the pad.

Without printing templates it would be pretty tough to size their pads. I would die without a wireless printer these days.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

uwaeve posted:

I have a brand new G19.4 and RMR (Type 2 adjustable) that Iím going to send to ATEi to smoosh together. How many rounds would you guys put through the gun and the RMR (on a Baylor mount) before voiding the warranty on the gun and having it custom cut for that particular RMR? I feel like Iím a magnet for stuff going wrong so Iíd like to shake stuff out a bit before I get it back and the RMR dies or the gun wonít cycle cause of an actual warranty worthy issue (as opposed to what Iím having done to it).

Also if Iím gonna put a KKM barrel in it down the road, thereís no issue breaking it in with the stock barrel and dropping the KKM in later, right? Or is there something to be said for wearing the slide in with the barrel that will eventually live in it? Not after the ultimate accuracy, more interested in reliability.
You could put a couple hundred through it to make sure it works okay with your preferred ammo.

On the KKM barrel, it shouldn't be a problem to switch after shooting stock for a while (which is what I did) but just a FYI my KKM was really tight at first and took a little while to break in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Flatland Crusoe posted:

When I did a grind to fit Limbsaver I had to drill a new hole to get the center locations correct for what itís worth. I feel like itís sort of a given with something custom like that. I actually drilled the limbsaver rather than the stock on mine. Itís not bad if you drill from the hard side of the pad.

Without printing templates it would be pretty tough to size their pads. I would die without a wireless printer these days.

Word, maybe I can do that. I'm not really concerned with a flawless look on this thing. I remember in the instructions, it mentioned that freezing the pad over night would help with the grinding part. Probably with the drilling part too.