Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Detective Thompson posted:

Anybody able to help a dude out with values? I have been out of the shooting game for a long time now and I figure I might as well sell off at least some of my collection since it's just gathering dust otherwise. Some of it is pretty common, other stuff not so much which makes it a little harder to figure out online. I thought some combined TFR knowledge might be able to give me a hand. I have:

Hopkins & Allen Mfg Co .32 short nickle-plated top break pocket revolver with rubber grips, nickle is all there, not quite as shiny as it used to be.
Trocaola Aranzabal Y Cia .32 S&W long revolver, Spanish S&W Hand Ejector/M&P clone.
Iver Johnson Uberti-built Cattleman SAA .44 Magnum 7.5in barrel.
Walther P1 9mm w/holster and spare magazine, slide dated 7/59.
Marlin Model 336 .30-30 with a recoil pad, manufactured I think in 1964. Missing rear sight and has been drilled for a scope.
Remington Model 81 .300 Savage with Redfield peep sight and a recoil pad, manufactured Oct. 1947.
Yugo M24/47 8mm Mauser with sling and bayo. The barrel is kinda worn out and it needs either a firing pin or a spring to be able to shoot again.

the rem is about 700-800ish on the low end i believe.

i actually may be interested in your spanish .32....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

uwaeve posted:

I have a brand new G19.4 and RMR (Type 2 adjustable) that I’m going to send to ATEi to smoosh together. How many rounds would you guys put through the gun and the RMR (on a Baylor mount) before voiding the warranty on the gun and having it custom cut for that particular RMR? I feel like I’m a magnet for stuff going wrong so I’d like to shake stuff out a bit before I get it back and the RMR dies or the gun won’t cycle cause of an actual warranty worthy issue (as opposed to what I’m having done to it).

Also if I’m gonna put a KKM barrel in it down the road, there’s no issue breaking it in with the stock barrel and dropping the KKM in later, right? Or is there something to be said for wearing the slide in with the barrel that will eventually live in it? Not after the ultimate accuracy, more interested in reliability.

I mean I'd chop the slide and give no shits about the warranty on a Glock. It's not like you have a Sig that needs RMAed back every 800 rounds. I'm not even sure Glock would void a warranty with an RMR cut. And even *then* a new slide isnt all that much.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

DakianDelomast posted:

I mean I'd chop the slide and give no shits about the warranty on a Glock. It's not like you have a Sig that needs RMAed back every 800 rounds. I'm not even sure Glock would void a warranty with an RMR cut. And even *then* a new slide isnt all that much.
Yeah the piece of mind of putting some rounds through it would be nice, but I doubt it would be necessary on a new Glock.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I know that barrel length is a factor in how much powder is burnt and thus influences bullet velocity, and I know that there are specialty defensive loads for tiny semi-autos and snubbies, but are there general guidelines for "barrels under (length) warrant a different defensive load in (caliber)"?

I've now got a Glock 17, 19, and 26. I'm wondering if the barrel on the 26 is long enough that it's moot, and if not, whether the 26 warrants different carry ammo.
In particular, I've got a case of 147gr Federal HSTs (P9HST2) and I'm wondering if that'd be suitable for all 3 or if I should look for something special for the 26?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

You're in luck, somebody went nuts on that very question:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

poeticoddity posted:

I know that barrel length is a factor in how much powder is burnt and thus influences bullet velocity, and I know that there are specialty defensive loads for tiny semi-autos and snubbies, but are there general guidelines for "barrels under (length) warrant a different defensive load in (caliber)"?

I've now got a Glock 17, 19, and 26. I'm wondering if the barrel on the 26 is long enough that it's moot, and if not, whether the 26 warrants different carry ammo.
In particular, I've got a case of 147gr Federal HSTs (P9HST2) and I'm wondering if that'd be suitable for all 3 or if I should look for something special for the 26?

Here is "the list" https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo

If you cross reference that with the list Javid provided you'd want something that loses the least velocity out of a shorter barrel. 147 grn hollow points should be your best bet. But anything on that list will perform adequately in a G26.

You're not wrong in your concern but it really only become an issue on .38 special snub noses with a cylinder gap eating at the velocity and a tiny less than 2" barrel to boot.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

While most options on The List do fine out of a 26, a quick trip to Lucky Gunner's massive clear gel test is advisable to confirm. That said, it's the 43 that really starts to see fauilures to expand on many of the list loads.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll plan on just running the 147 gn HSTs in everything.
It looks like going from a G17 barrel to a G26 barrel drops the kinetic energy for that round by about 11% (as a back-of-the-envelope calculation), in case anyone's interested.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

poeticoddity posted:

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll plan on just running the 147 gn HSTs in everything.
It looks like going from a G17 barrel to a G26 barrel drops the kinetic energy for that round by about 11% (as a back-of-the-envelope calculation), in case anyone's interested.

That's all I do

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Shooting the Bull shot standard pressure and +P 147 HST into actual gel from a teeny gun and both performed like champs.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Butch Cassidy posted:

Shooting the Bull shot standard pressure and +P 147 HST into actual gel from a teeny gun and both performed like champs.

147 HST routinely beats everything, regardless of barrel length. There's no reason to buy anything else.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

C&R question because it's finally time to renew. #4, do I have to photocopy this renewal sheet and ship it off to our police chief and poo poo before sending this thing back to the ATF or can I just do it whenever? Also, do I photocopy both sides or just the "are you felon?!" side?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

I always send that poo poo off at the same time as I do everything else and if Iím unsure error on the side of giving them extra crap

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

I remember there being some outcry over the stance that the Second Amendment Foundation took post sandy hook. And I remember goons (including me) turning in their memberships. Sadly I canít find any reference of what they did today. Has the internet been sanitized?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

_firehawk posted:

I remember there being some outcry over the stance that the Second Amendment Foundation took post sandy hook. And I remember goons (including me) turning in their memberships. Sadly I can’t find any reference of what they did today. Has the internet been sanitized?

Support for Mancin-Toomey, IIRC. Maybe not sanitized, SA search is broken as gently caress.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

That was it. A google search seems to result in not much. And I know it was in the news. I remember disagreeing so much that I sent my membership stuff back and requested a refund for my life membership.

I mean itís not like the NRA has hosed over their constituents or anything. But hey SAF was quick to come to the table to negotiate. Funny how those negotiations always seem to mean a further erosion of 2A rights.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Background checks killed my family!

OTOH 2AF was about the only gun organization that gave even a little bit of a poo poo when that cop murdered Philando Castile so they're about a million times better in my book.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

So I need a new front sight for my .22 rifle. Stock sight is way too low so it shoots super high. The sight isn't adjustable but it's removable, it slides into a little dovetail grove thing on the end of the barrel.

Is this a standard kind of mounting slot, and if so are there adjustable sights I could get for it? And if not is there adjustable front sights I can get that clamp onto the barrel or something?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

If you tell us what kind of gun is attached to that muzzle we might be able to help

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

It's a Voere. Model unknown. Austrian, possibly from the late 60s.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Well, numrich has one model listed under "voere" and the front sight is out of stock.

If your only concern is that it shoot straight, what I would personally do is remove the original sight (and keep it just in case) and gob some steelstik putty on there in the general shape of a front sight post. Make it higher than you think it needs to be, once it dries you can easily sand and file it down to where you want it. I did this on a sportered arisaka with the same problem; this worked great and is strong as gently caress, but if/when you decide you want to restore it to factory condition it's not terribly difficult to break the steelstik off and wire wheel it off the barrel entirely. It should only be touching it under where the sight would cover anyway, if there's any marks left over.

I highly doubt anybody is making aftermarket sights for that thing at this point. I've never seen a front sight with a bore-aligned dovetail like that. You could probably have a gunsmith mount a front sight to it with a tapped hole, if you're willing to make permanent modifications to it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Bit of a long shot but would one of the clip-on shotgun sights possible work here? I imagine not because diameter or whatever but still.

This kinda poo poo.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Bit of a long shot but would one of the clip-on shotgun sights possible work here? I imagine not because diameter or whatever but still.

This kinda poo poo.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for, I'm sure there's no aftermarket sights specific to my gun.

That sort of clip on sight would be good, but it would need to be a lot taller than that specific one, and preferably adjustable.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Kramjacks posted:

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for, I'm sure there's no aftermarket sights specific to my gun.

That sort of clip on sight would be good, but it would need to be a lot taller than that specific one, and preferably adjustable.

Unfortunately, that's not a common brand and if Numrich doesn't have it, you probably won't find it.

If you have a little bit of a budget, take it to a local gunsmith. It seems like you have an excellent idea of what you need, just gotta find someone to do it.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I think I'm just going to fabricate something for myself from scrap material at work using the cnc router. I can make a set with progressively taller posts and switch them out till it's zeroed.

Hm. The more I think about it the more I want to do this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Kramjacks posted:

I think I'm just going to fabricate something for myself from scrap material at work using the cnc router. I can make a set with progressively taller posts and switch them out till it's zeroed.

Jesus, if you have a CNC counter you got it done already!

Let us know how it works. A lot of folks do their own builds here and it's always pretty cool. Check out the 1911 thread to see a human alligator stipple a pistol frame.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Kramjacks posted:

Make it tall and bring a good set of files to the range.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Atticus_1354 posted:

This, it's easier to alter the front sight as needed. Just make it a blade sight instead of that weirdo bead thing that's on it now.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Alternative option to tons of filing at the range:
Make a mark from the top of the sight to wherever you're going to hold, fire, and increase the length of the mark until your hold is correct, then trim in a mill from the bottom of the mark.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If you really have access to a cnc mill

A) gently caress you
B) yes fab your own
C) design and build an adjustable one for maximum points

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Does anyone have any writeups handy regarding having a light or not on a home defense gun? (Handgun, rifle, shotgun, idc) I know the current trend is that every home defense gun has to have a light, but what are people saying about the advantages of having a light versus the light standing out as a target for an armed intruder to shoot at?

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

A family friend caught a load of 00 in the chest and neck back in the '90s because the meth head who broke into his house that night reflexively fired at the flashlight, so make sure you're ready to be faster on the trigger than whoever you're lighting up.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Friar Zucchini posted:

Does anyone have any writeups handy regarding having a light or not on a home defense gun? (Handgun, rifle, shotgun, idc) I know the current trend is that every home defense gun has to have a light, but what are people saying about the advantages of having a light versus the light standing out as a target for an armed intruder to shoot at?

The only person I've seen lately saying that a light does more harm than good is Gabe Suarez, but he seems to have gone off the rails a bit considering he's advocating that people shoot at things in their home without identifying them first.

Over the years, the FBI technique for flashlight use has fallen out of favor because it's hard to coordinate the movement of the flashlight and the gun, you're stuck shooting one-handed, and it hasn't shown statistically to be of any benefit if the bad guy "shoots at the light".

As far as weapon-mounted versus hand-held, the hand-held does allow you to search and identify threats without covering them with your muzzle... but a bright WML will give you the same thing via indirect lighting. That said, a hand-held light is probably more versatile in general.

A WML will allow you to search and identify with one hand on the gun and the other hand occupied with a phone or other duties (operating doors or windows, grabbing a first aid kit, marshaling family members, etc.).

When it comes time to actually shoot, the WML wins because you can have a normal, two-handed grip on the firearm.

Personally, I have a WML on my bedside gun as well as a handheld. Not every bump in the night makes me think "oh, poo poo, someone's breaking in."

Proper Kerni ng posted:

A family friend caught a load of 00 in the chest and neck back in the '90s because the meth head who broke into his house that night reflexively fired at the flashlight, so make sure you're ready to be faster on the trigger than whoever you're lighting up.

This is why cover is your friend.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I like a handheld/weapon-mounted combo for bedside handguns. If I had to pick one, it'd be a handheld any day of the week.

As for the F.B.I. technique (light held in support hand held up and to the side of the body as fits the situation), I've found 3+ cell Mag-Lites and similar to be most easily indexed with the gun and hold steady in the position. At least for me.

And gently caress grip switches. Less for concern about negligent discharge and more because deactivation requires deliberately loosening your grip.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Humans have asinine night vision for a monkey mammal. I don't think you NEED a light. I've always figured it depends on if you would want to be silent but unseen or very well seen in an awful encounter.

I'm only getting a light because of my legs. I'm not sneaking up on poo poo with dropfoot.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

I say take a light because the chances of you accidentally popping somebody who lives with you (a looooot of kids sneaking in from parties getting popped) versus an actual burglar are going to be geared towards the former.

Unless you live alone in the middle of nowhere in which case, yes, anybody coming in deserves a bullet.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

...Unless you live alone in the middle of nowhere in which case, yes, anybody coming in deserves a bullet.

That's less true than many people believe.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

I thought that was going to be an Onion-esque article about not shooting the spirits haunting your house based on the image.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If a masked person breaks into my house, they will get shot.

If an unmasked person is in my house, they are going to quickly get a gun/sword/parrot pointed at them and asked what the gently caress they are doing. But I have lived in apartments my whole life, it can happen, maintenance guys and bug control people have poo poo to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I thought that was going to be an Onion-esque article about not shooting the spirits haunting your house based on the image.

And it pretty much was!