Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hagrd
Aug 25, 2003

Haha, that really is the oddest thing. Not doubting you, it's just so diametrically opposed to my own experience.

For instance, the precision shooters over here really like Magtech 95gr and the 115gr is well regarded by most all-round shooters. Naturally people with the means to do so, roll their own, but with Magtech compoments...

Hence the question if you guys somehow get bizarro Magtech shipments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

hagrd posted:

Haha, that really is the oddest thing. Not doubting you, it's just so diametrically opposed to my own experience.

For instance, the precision shooters over here really like Magtech 95gr and the 115gr is well regarded by most all-round shooters. Naturally people with the means to do so, roll their own, but with Magtech compoments...

Hence the question if you guys somehow get bizarro Magtech shipments?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly- Magtech is really popular and widespread target ammo in Austria. It's the only stuff i shoot when i rent a Glock at the range, and i've never had a single problem with it.

Could be because of Glock Perfection though

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Is anyone else getting really pissed off at the weather? Like its been hot every loving day for loving weeks all day, until maybe midnight or so when it gets down to WOW 80 degrees or so. Its a 105 degrees right now. I don't have loving A/C in my car. I technically live in the "south" but never, ever has it ever been like this. If it's gonna be this hot once or twice a week, or god forbid an entire week, it is at LEAST always cool at night.

Also my car is overheating because my intake manifold is likely leaking water in the oil and vice versa. The high heat makes my heater core ridiculously hot so in addition to 100 degree weather and direct sunlight through my moon roof that cannot be closed, I have 200 degree heat trickling in my vents constantly.

So my real question is, what is the best way to mount a shotgun in my car for when I finally can't take it anymore? It needs to be in a quick access location so I don't have time for doubts.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Get one of those PD Cruiser shotgun mounts? Dunno how your state views non-concealed firearms in a car.

Better solution is to get some drat AC. Yes i moved from the South to the mountains and there's almost no humidity here and i'm a mile above sea level and STILL there are hot days. AC repair is invariably expensive, but it's one of those things that you have to have in the South. If your car just doesn't have AC, sell or retrofit. Seriously gently caress no AC.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FalconGuy016 posted:

Is anyone else getting really pissed off at the weather? Like its been hot every loving day for loving weeks all day, until maybe midnight or so when it gets down to WOW 80 degrees or so. Its a 105 degrees right now. I don't have loving A/C in my car. I technically live in the "south" but never, ever has it ever been like this. If it's gonna be this hot once or twice a week, or god forbid an entire week, it is at LEAST always cool at night.

Also my car is overheating because my intake manifold is likely leaking water in the oil and vice versa. The high heat makes my heater core ridiculously hot so in addition to 100 degree weather and direct sunlight through my moon roof that cannot be closed, I have 200 degree heat trickling in my vents constantly.

So my real question is, what is the best way to mount a shotgun in my car for when I finally can't take it anymore? It needs to be in a quick access location so I don't have time for doubts.

I'm assuming that you want to put the car out of its misery; in that case something like a .44 magnum with a heavy bullet, strategically placed under the seat, would probably do the job if it penetrated the firewall and the block or some other vital part of the engine. Ear and eye protection would be suggested, as is footwear for running the gently caress away after you do the job.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

FalconGuy016 posted:

You just move here? This is summer in the Deep South. I remember it being this way always except maybe for last year. Secondly, fix your drat car before you buy another gun.

Finally lose some weight or go outside more. I can't understand why so many people are having issues with the heat other then they sit inside the A/C too much. Eventually, you will adapt or die.

HFX fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 24, 2010

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

The car is barely worth buying spark plugs and oil for. The compressor is leaking like crazy, and since it's against the law (and my wallet) to dump freon in it every day I've been forced to suffer. In an oven.

I didn't consider the weapon being for the car and not myself. This is why I like TFR. Killing myself wouldn't have been productive, now I have something that I can look forward to.

What would I do

HFX posted:

You just move here? This is summer in the Deep South. I remember it being this way always except maybe for last year. Secondly, fix your drat car before you buy another gun.

Finally lose some weight or go outside more. I can't understand why so many people are having issues with the heat other then they sit inside the A/C too much. Eventually, you will adapt or die.

I live in VA, not the deep south. I've lived here half my life, and texas the other half, and texas heat was way better than this.

Dude 210 degree heat is 210 degree heat coming out of your vents. There is no used to that. Its called suicide. I'll get a thermometer and picture.

FalconGuy016 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 24, 2010

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

FalconGuy016 posted:

The car is barely worth buying spark plugs and oil for. The compressor is leaking like crazy, and since it's against the law (and my wallet) to dump freon in it every day I've been forced to suffer. In an oven.

I didn't consider the weapon being for the car and not myself. This is why I like TFR. Killing myself wouldn't have been productive, now I have something that I can look forward to.

What would I do

No, man, do this: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2084765/car_hunt/

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

I like turtles posted:

Arizona TFR folks: someone feeling proactive enough to put together a meet thread? I'd do it, but I'm feeling particularly lazy today.

An AZ TFR meetup could be dangerous. I'll see if I can make it.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

FalconGuy016 posted:

I live in VA, not the deep south. I've lived here half my life, and texas the other half, and texas heat was way better than this.

Dude 210 degree heat is 210 degree heat coming out of your vents. There is no used to that. Its called suicide. I'll get a thermometer and picture.

Bah Virginians. Anyway, it feels about the same no matter where I go with the exception of the Gulf Coast being miserable (I'm from New Orleans) do to the very high humidity. I now live in Atlanta and usually I feel it is slightly better; I'm not coming inside looking like I took a shower. Texas was probably an improvement if you weren't in the Houston area. The desert, plains, and highlands do have the awesome effect of being very cool at night.

Your other problem is having to use your heater to help your car stay cooler. I don't know what to tell you there other then open the windows and take your clothes off while driving. Make sure to wave gun out the window.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I like turtles posted:

No, man, do this: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2084765/car_hunt/

I would have so much fun doing this.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh, pretty, pretty, Blue Bongo!
Bongo-Bongo Blue!! Yah!

I like turtles posted:

Arizona TFR folks: someone feeling proactive enough to put together a meet thread? I'd do it, but I'm feeling particularly lazy today.

Not proactive enough to put together a good thread, but it's there.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

Cyrano4747 posted:

words about baseball
Can I clone you so that I have my own personal auto-correct?

e/

Alain Perdrix posted:

I am increasingly confused by you, with your tales of Tim Horton's and hockey. Are you an Australian who made his way to Canada briefly, but was then subsequently banished to the land of vegemite, or are you a Canadian who moved to Australia?
The latter. Born in Edmonton, moved to the UK when I was 4, moved here when I was about to turn 8. I've been back since a few times, though, and I miss it like hell.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 24, 2010

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

FalconGuy016 posted:

I don't have loving A/C in my car.

You could stick one of these in your car door.

illionaire
Apr 18, 2005

It's all about the
Yenjamins,
baby

I spent a while googling but I'm still not sure about the legality of my new AK-47 as far as California state law is concerned. I picked up a Sentry Arms WASR-10, semi. Anyone know if my new toy is legal to bring into Cali?

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

You need to take of the Pistol grip and if it has a flash suppressor on it take that off to or buy a bullet button kit http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/assault-planet-s-ak-bullet-button-190.html and use only 10 round mags.

Edit: Or you can replace the pistol grip with this beauty http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/monsterman-grip-black-203.html

Edit 2: vvv I keep on forgetting about that flow chart

Bogon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 24, 2010

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Bogon covered the basics, but check out this handy-dandy flow chart from calguns.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Aperture Priority posted:

Bogon covered the basics, but check out this handy-dandy flow chart from calguns.

Egads. Did they resurrect HP Lovecraft to write those gun laws?

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Egads. Did they resurrect HP Lovecraft to write those gun laws?

Well, Diane Feinstein is something of an eldritch horror :iamafag:

Aperture Priority fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 25, 2010

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

HFX posted:

Your other problem is having to use your heater to help your car stay cooler. I don't know what to tell you there other then open the windows and take your clothes off while driving. Make sure to wave gun out the window.

I hear you, unfortunately I drive a GM. From that very special time where the A/C and heater flappers rarely work, and when they do they don't seal. Since the core is constantly being heated in every car, this is very bad for my overheating car that can't keep hot air out of the cabin to start with. I was thinking of cutting the inlet and outlet hose off the heater core and making them connect to each other with a little U hose.

Woops since this is a gun question thread, I'm going to be shooting the hoses off. Which caliber should I use to avoid punching through the firewall and making a holes in my motor? .500 S&W ?

Bogon that loving rules and I'd rock that every day if it worked.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

rossmum posted:

I'm sorry, but ice hockey is the only true (non-shooting) sport

Ahem.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Capn Beeb posted:

rossmum posted:

Ahem.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Nice try, but last I checked you shoot pool.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Magtech is like shooting blackpowder its so dirty.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

George Carlin posted:

Billiards is not a sport because there’s no chance for serious injuries. Unless you welch on a bet in a tough neighborhood. Then, if you see a guy with a pool cue sticking out of his rear end, you’d know that might be a sports-related injury.

FalconGuy016 posted:

I hear you, unfortunately I drive a GM. From that very special time where the A/C and heater flappers rarely work, and when they do they don't seal. Since the core is constantly being heated in every car, this is very bad for my overheating car that can't keep hot air out of the cabin to start with. I was thinking of cutting the inlet and outlet hose off the heater core and making them connect to each other with a little U hose.

I had to bypass the heater core in my '91 Caprice when I blew the core out. Unfortunately, it was winter time, but I suffered through. Doesn't sound like that'll be a problem for you though.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

ffffffff

Double post.

Trade my 700 VLS and my beater AR (combined approximate asking price: $1200) for a S&W M&P15 VTAC with a Bushnell Trophy MP dot sight?

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Is that the 700 that doesn't shoot for poo poo? Might as well. Give him the lovely stock though, not the new good one.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

Definitely make the trade. That fake ACOG bushnell sight looks pretty lame, though. I wouldn't bother with it, save pennies for a real optic or at least something from PWS.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

LavistaSays posted:

Definitely make the trade. That fake ACOG bushnell sight looks pretty lame, though. I wouldn't bother with it, save pennies for a real optic or at least something from PWS.

It's actually pretty nice for a $150 dot sight. I ran the older version (without backup irons) on my competition AR last year.

And then I got an Aimpoint.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

infrared35 posted:

ffffffff

Double post.

Trade my 700 VLS and my beater AR (combined approximate asking price: $1200) for a S&W M&P15 VTAC with a Bushnell Trophy MP dot sight?

Do it. The M&P VTAC is so ridiculously good looking. If I had the money for one I would buy it in a second.

On a related note does anyone have any experience with the bushnell trs-25 red dot? The price doesn't look to bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-1xRed-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 25, 2010

blackknight5k
Oct 22, 2008

What's a good pistol case? I have 4 pistols now and will probably be 5 by the end of the year so I'd like it to handle at least that many. I was looking at pelican but I have no idea how that works. I'd like to be able to take it on a flight if needed.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

blackknight5k posted:

What's a good pistol case? I have 4 pistols now and will probably be 5 by the end of the year so I'd like it to handle at least that many. I was looking at pelican but I have no idea how that works. I'd like to be able to take it on a flight if needed.

Pelican.

They aren't cheap, but they are fantastic.

The foam insert you get has all these little perforations in it. So you can just sort of punch them out and fit a lot of guns very snugly in there with plenty of padding between them. Most gun cases have people laying them out flat, I have been packing mine in vertically. It works rather well.

I just went on a trip with mine and I had 6 revolvers and a Coonan in there.

Just think this, with guns:

Make sure to get one that is deep enough to fit your guns vertically and you can fit a lot of them in there. If you have a Fry's nearby I think they still stock them, that is where I got mine. I suggest taking a look at one.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

I second Pelican They are tough and they are TSA approved. If you do a google search you can find some pretty good deals.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

FalconGuy016 posted:

Woops since this is a gun question thread, I'm going to be shooting the hoses off. Which caliber should I use to avoid punching through the firewall and making a holes in my motor? .500 S&W ?

Bogon that loving rules and I'd rock that every day if it worked.

This is why older GM cars which used a cable was great. On the other hand, lord help you if you broke the plastic puller. On the other hand, rigging one up was no big deal.

If you car is overheating do to a head leak, taking the heater core out of the loop will make things worse sadly.

I had to do it myself and spent a cold cold winter. Now I need to fix my A/C again. Putting die in this time. Pretty sure its the either the old hoses (25 years), or the crappy retrofit caps I had to put on the system when I moved it to 134a.

Finally, best way to kill any car is to poor a little diesel in your gas. Start her up and watch the engine make some awful sounds as it explodes.

Oh right, you were wanting a gun. Well when the ATF decides I can own 105 recoilless rifles I'll let you know how one works out.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

I have somewhat of a gun detailing question. I borrowed a nickel Hi Standard Double Nine .22LR in pretty good shape. I shot it, cleaned it, maybe over-oiled it with the intention of de-oiling it later, wrapped it in a rag and put it away for a few weeks. The rag may have have some Hoppes in it in addition to some oil. When I got it back out, a few square inches of the cylinder and barrel were no longer mirror-perfect and have a slight haze to them, which I can't seem to get out. Did I ruin the nickel? Is there some way to clean it up? My brother suggested toothpaste rear end he uses on his golf clubs, but I don't want to make it worse. Is there some kind of polish that might make my gently caress-up better?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

So darts are still kosher then? For lack of access to guns/shooting here in Afghanistan (by sick irony), I've been getting pretty good at darts. Just got a boxful of various components in the APO mail, spent 2hrs watching Evilution and trying every possible permutation of barrels, shafts, and flights until I got a set just how I want them.

Aperture Priority posted:

Well, Diane Feinstein is something of an eldritch horror :iamafag:

You are such total nerds. I have "Miskatonic University" cufflinks

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I have somewhat of a gun detailing question. I borrowed a nickel Hi Standard Double Nine .22LR in pretty good shape. I shot it, cleaned it, maybe over-oiled it with the intention of de-oiling it later, wrapped it in a rag and put it away for a few weeks. The rag may have have some Hoppes in it in addition to some oil. When I got it back out, a few square inches of the cylinder and barrel were no longer mirror-perfect and have a slight haze to them, which I can't seem to get out. Did I ruin the nickel? Is there some way to clean it up? My brother suggested toothpaste rear end he uses on his golf clubs, but I don't want to make it worse. Is there some kind of polish that might make my gently caress-up better?

Hoppes is no good for nickel and if there was some on the rag, it may well have marred the finish. I really wouldn't try toothpaste if I were you. Maybe try some sort of metal wax, like one of the Mothers line that is suitable for nickel. I would suggest wrapping it in a clean cotton cloth from now on if you have to wrap it in something.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

hoppes is bad for nickel but a tiny amount probably didnt do any damage. nickel tends to haze up with age, for whatever reason. you'll live.

WimpBastard
Feb 11, 2006

"sorry about my dick"

Most any kind of metal polish will do the job. My favorite is brasso.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

WimpBastard posted:

Most any kind of metal polish will do the job. My favorite is brasso.

I'd avoid the brasso. Anything with ammonia is terribly bad for nickel-plated guns (hence the Hoppes being bad as well).

Flitz or Simichrome are safe for the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

HFX posted:

Oh right, you were wanting a gun. Well when the ATF decides I can own 105 recoilless rifles I'll let you know how one works out.

All you need is the destructive-device tax stamp. Ski resorts apparently use 105 RRs as avalanche guns, according to the Wall Street journal article (front page, even) I read a number of years ago.

Nice to know where I can get one if I... have need of it.