Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

Craptacular posted:

Yeah, that's a felony.

pffft. only if you get caught

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I just sold a handgun for the first time and have a related question now that I read what Capn Beeb said - does my FFL not have any reason to charge me his (admittedly low) transfer fee to do the shipping?

In fact, I might as well ask how this process will go down. What all does the FFL actually do when you're shipping a gun through USPS with him? Does he have to mark it in his log and everything? Or is it just so technically the person mailing it is a dealer? Do I bring the FFL the gun boxed up and basically ready to go, or should it be out so he can record the serial? I'm also curious about the payment side of things - does the FFL say "Yeah, give me $20 and I'll ship it," covering his transfer fee + USPS flat rate box? My FFL is new to the game too so I'm not sure he'll be well versed in what to do either.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Any time an FFL takes possession of a gun, he has to put it in his bound book. Whether his fee covers shipping materials and the shipping cost would have to be something you work out with the FFL.

I just refuse to transfer guns to FFLs that don't accept transfers from private citizens.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Craptacular posted:

Tell the guy you're trading with to find another FFL that will accept transfered guns from private citizens.

Oh his FFL is cool, it's just mine that has a stuck up their rear end. They dinged me a $50 transfer fee when I shipped my Remington 700 through them a few months back; without telling me until I went to pick up the 930 SPX. Double transfer bonus OH BOY! But they're the only one in the area so lol monopoly bitch deal with it :smuggo: Good to know I _can_ send it UPS though, thanks :)

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

CorporatePunk posted:

This could definitely be part of the problem. I know I should pull the rifle in tight, but I normally shoot with the stock seated kind of in the gap between between my shoulder and my pec. I've had some instructions in scouting as a kid, but we never shot anything with enough recoil to hurt you no matter how you held the rifle. I haven't had any instruction as an adult, so it is totally possible I'm just doing it wrong.

Totally gonna check out something like this. Right now I have a gun I don't enjoy shooting, if $15 makes it fun, that would be awesome.

Definitely try working on your technique, although 15 bucks ain't much so you might as well try that too. Also, are you standing or shooting from a bench? Shooting from a bench tends to increase the amount of recoil you feel compared to standing, but an AK shouldn't beat you up that bad if you're gripping it properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5iCubSn4D4

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

CorporatePunk posted:

How much do recoil-reducing stocks actually work? I have a WASR-10 AK clone and it is not very comfortable for me to shoot. I generally shoot about 30 or 40 rounds and my shoulder gets pretty sore, and I sometimes get welts or small cuts from the buttsock. I think this is partially due to the crappy wood stock on the WASR. My question is, if I were to get another rifle in 7.62x39, like a VZ58, and replaced the stock with a "recoil-reducing" stock of some kind, should I expect it to be more comfortable to shoot, or is that stuff just hocus-pocus? Does anyone else hate shooting 7.62x39? Does it just suck for me because my existing rifle has a lovely stock with no recoil-reduction at all?

Disclaimer I have never tried on on a true AK.

I have an Enidine recoil buffer tube on my Somewhat TacticLOL yet fully functional Saiga-12 and I can say that thing is absolutely effective. It's ridiculously effective. I can shoot a hundred 1600fps 1 oz slugs or full power buckshot out of it in a day with no bruising or discomfort at all. It's really neat.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

So I'm having an absolute bitch of a time finding a mag loader that will work for my .45acp Glock. The guy I spoke to at Glock all but laughed at me when I inquired about the possibility of ordering one from them. Nearly everything else is retardedly expensive for the job it performs(I'm looking at you UpLULA). Eventually I came upon this:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=82041

Does this thing work decently/is it worth the money?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

BarkingSquirrel posted:

So I'm having an absolute bitch of a time finding a mag loader that will work for my .45acp Glock. The guy I spoke to at Glock all but laughed at me when I inquired about the possibility of ordering one from them. Nearly everything else is retardedly expensive for the job it performs(I'm looking at you UpLULA). Eventually I came upon this:

I have one of that style for my P226s, works pretty well. Where the base of the magazine goes there are some slots to help brace different magazine lengths. Given that, it doesn't work with the 18 and 20 round ones for the 9mm. Otherwise the design works well, though I'm not familiar enough with Glock mags to know how it'd translate from one to the other.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Just get the UPLULA, dude. They're worth every penny.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

BarkingSquirrel posted:

I love the poo poo out of my HKS magloader for my Beretta.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Mag loaders.

Just by the uplula dude, seriously.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Just man up and use your thumbs you big pussy.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Thank guys, well the two of you who can read atleast.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

I can read. I'm just telling you that the uplula isn't overpriced because it's a mag loader that will work with almost every centerfire pistol you will ever own.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

And yet it has nothing to do with what I asked. I got my answers though, to I'm good.

CorporatePunk
Sep 24, 2003
kick out the jams!

DELETED posted:

Definitely try working on your technique, although 15 bucks ain't much so you might as well try that too. Also, are you standing or shooting from a bench? Shooting from a bench tends to increase the amount of recoil you feel compared to standing, but an AK shouldn't beat you up that bad if you're gripping it properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5iCubSn4D4

I'm standing, it sounds like I just need to find a video or something online that can tell me exactly how to hold it.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

This clip focuses on how to use your support hand, but there's some good close-ups of where you should be shouldering the rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZi_kDkOjIQ

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I like my Uplula so much that I thought I lost it, went to the range, and immediately shelled out the cash to buy another one. I didn't even check to see if I had it at home, and I didn't want to think about going back to loading my mags without it. You will NOT regret the purchase the first time that you use it to load a double-stack mag to full capacity and save your thumbs from scraping against little metal bits.

Someone will inevitably play lumberjack here and tell us all that we're pansies for not manning up and loading the mags with our loving hands, but you know what? It saves a remarkable amount of time and energy.

edit: just saw it was Craptacular.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Mag loaders have their place for some mags, but really, Glock magazines aren't particularly difficult to load at all.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

CorporatePunk posted:

I'm standing, it sounds like I just need to find a video or something online that can tell me exactly how to hold it.

This video has been linked a few times, and while it doesn't go into a lot of detail about how to shoulder the rifle it might help a bit.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar

wilfoy posted:

This clip focuses on how to use your support hand, but there's some good close-ups of where you should be shouldering the rifle.

What I took away from this is that I have the same muffs and I feel very tactical right now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

wilfoy posted:

Oh man, Costa's rifle in that is ridiculous.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

What's so ridiculous about it? The only thing that I see that's even a little bit unusual is the laser.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

wilfoy posted:

I don't know if Youtube shows the same suggested videos for everyone, but after clicking the quoted link, the third one down for me is titled "Girl gets hit by recoil". It shows how NOT to shoulder a rifle, unless of course you enjoy having the buttplate slip off your shoulder and the scope hit you in the face.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh man, Costa's rifle in that is ridiculous.

I hope you mean ridiculously awesome.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Craptacular posted:

What's so ridiculous about it? The only thing that I see that's even a little bit unusual is the laser.

It just looks so silly with everything so frontloaded.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Inspector_71 posted:

It just looks so silly with everything so frontloaded.

You look silly with everything frontloaded. :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

infrared35 posted:

You look silly with everything frontloaded. :colbert:

Oh God it's true :negative:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

How do you misspell "Springfield Armory"?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Groda posted:

Moryspring Fieldarm.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Groda posted:

I'm sorry, but did you mean Springfield Aromry? You seem to have typoed.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Groda posted:

IMBEL.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Groda posted:

My father-in-law who didn't know better when he bought his XD spells it, "Made in Croatia?!"

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Propagandalf posted:

Moryspring Fieldarm.

I was eating a chocolate bar when I read this, and promptly spit chocolate everywhere. Congratulations sir, you have bested me.

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!

Went shooting today for the first time in 2 years (yay) and used up most of my supply of 9mm (some old reloads and this weird "EnviroClean" frangible ammo.) I am considering a new home-defense load and new home defense firearm. My long-time choice has been a CZ-75 in 9mm, while my wife prefers her Star Firestar+, also in 9mm. But I'm starting to warm up to my Rock Island Armory 1911 clone as an alternative for the "grab in the dark as a way to welcome late-night uninvited visitors to my home" role. Other than the tendency of the hammer to bite my shooting hand, it's a ridiculously reliable firearm and I kind of like the quantity of lead a .45 throws. I bought a couple more magazines for the .45, and want to get something other than FMJ to use as a home-defense load.

So, the question is this: Any recommendations for home-defense rounds in 9mm and/or .45? The basic specs are minimum overpenetration (more stop-in-perp, less shooting holes through the neighbor's house), and reliability in an autoloader. Doesn't have to be cheap.

Edited for correct manufacturer

Jetrock fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 17, 2011

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Jetrock posted:

So, the question is this: Any recommendations for home-defense rounds in 9mm and/or .45? The basic specs are minimum overpenetration (more stop-in-perp, less shooting holes through the neighbor's house), and reliability in an autoloader. Doesn't have to be cheap.

Speer Gold Dots are my go-to carry/HD ammunition.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Gray Stormy posted:

Speer Gold Dots are my go-to carry/HD ammunition.

Likewise. I tried Remington HD, Gold Dots, Hydrashoks, and Hornady TAP in one session. The Gold Dots had the best balance of controllable recoil, penetration gel results, low flash, and cost.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I'm told The Coldest War is a good book and I'd like a good read on the flight to LA this week. Problem is, I'm seeing two books with the same title. One by David Halberstam (The Coldest War: America and the Korean War), one by James Brady (The Coldest War: A Memoir of Korea). Which one am I looking for?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

DJExile posted:

I'm told The Coldest War is a good book and I'd like a good read on the flight to LA this week. Problem is, I'm seeing two books with the same title. One by David Halberstam (The Coldest War: America and the Korean War), one by James Brady (The Coldest War: A Memoir of Korea). Which one am I looking for?

im the guy recommending the Halberstam one in every TFR book thread.

the memoir might be a really good read too; havent read it. the halberstam book is a look at the conflict from varying levels of magnification all the way down the chain of command and has an absolutely enormous amount of data in it about all sorts of aspects of the war. it's really, really good. it's not as... personal? as memoirs generally are, since it's more of a retrospective on the entirety of the war, but it's an amazing read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Gtab posted:

im the guy recommending the Halberstam one in every TFR book thread.

the memoir might be a really good read too; havent read it. the halberstam book is a look at the conflict from varying levels of magnification all the way down the chain of command and has an absolutely enormous amount of data in it about all sorts of aspects of the war. it's really, really good. it's not as... personal? as memoirs generally are, since it's more of a retrospective on the entirety of the war, but it's an amazing read.

Awesome. Maybe I'll grab both then. Thanks :cheers: