Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

the poi posted:

Can anyone recommend some optically good safety glasses? I love shooting with sunglasses, because they're inevitably comfortable, scratch and distortion free. Then the sun goes done and I dig out clear-lens safety glasses and can't see poo poo. I don't mind spending money, I just want lenses that are crystal clear!
I tried on a pair of these Edge Delano's at the local EMS supply store the other day. They seemed fairly comfortable and well made. And for the price I'll probably end up picking up a few pair here soon.

Compliant with ANSI Z87.1+ 2003 standards and meets U.S. Military Eyewear Ballistic Impact Resistance Requirements - MIL-PRF-31013 clause 3.5.1.1, MIL-V-43511 clause 3.5.10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I like turtles posted:

Yes on Monson

MAS is Century, and therefore out of the equation :(

Maybe I'll take some stuff down there to see if they'll give me a fair shake on trade value on a couple things I don't care about.

I want to trade the PPS-43 towards it, but I figure best I could do is that plus $500-$600 plus tax.
I'd consider adding in my Springfield Loaded 1911, figure I could do that plus the PPS and maybe another $100-$200 or so.
But then I wouldn't have a 1911. I don't have any particular attachment to this gun, and I rarely shoot it, but I feel like I *should* have a 1911. If I could find an old one, I'd swap the Springfield out in a second, but... ehhh... I like revolvers because they're a lot of fun to shoot, I hear nothing but great things about the Dan Wessons, and this seems to be a pretty good price, but... ehhhhh.

Choices are hard :saddowns:

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I like turtles posted:

I want to trade the PPS-43 towards it, but I figure best I could do is that plus $500-$600 plus tax.
I'd consider adding in my Springfield Loaded 1911, figure I could do that plus the PPS and maybe another $100-$200 or so.
But then I wouldn't have a 1911. I don't have any particular attachment to this gun, and I rarely shoot it, but I feel like I *should* have a 1911. If I could find an old one, I'd swap the Springfield out in a second, but... ehhh... I like revolvers because they're a lot of fun to shoot, I hear nothing but great things about the Dan Wessons, and this seems to be a pretty good price, but... ehhhhh.

Choices are hard :saddowns:

I wouldn't worry too much. 1911s are god damned everywhere so letting a deal pass right now probably isn't going to mean you never come across one again.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Oh, no, sorry, I would be trading the PPS and the 1911 for the Dan Wesson package I was talking about on the last page.
My childish whining is stemming from feeling unsure about trading away a gun I dislike and a gun I sorta like for a good deal on very good revolver setup.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

PPS + 1911 < $850? Sounds like you're getting ripped on the trade values on those.

This is why I don't get rid of guns...

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Another reason I'm hesitant. *shrug*
I'll see if it's still around when I've built my savings up to the level I'd be comfortable with starting to spend again, and get rid of the PPS then too.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 17, 2011

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I like turtles posted:

Throw ya gats up in the classifieds thread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

walrusman posted:

PPS + 1911 < $850? Sounds like you're getting ripped on the trade values on those.

This is why I don't get rid of guns...

Yeah, seconding this, you're getting ripped off, bad (which is to be expected on any trade-in in a gun shop really)

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

I like turtles posted:

I'll see if it's still around when I've built my savings up to the level I'd be comfortable with starting to spend again, and get rid of the PPS then too.

If you have to take a loss and sell something else or trade it for less then it is worth, you aren't getting a deal, its not worth it. If you don't have the cash on hand just wait.

Personally I just have an envelop that I sock cash into it, if it has enough for whatever gun I want, I buy it. If not, that just means I have to wait. It works well for me.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Mr_Biggs posted:

Does the extended barrel on the USP Match actually work as a compensator or is it just added weight to accomplish the same thing?

The second one. It's a counterbalance to the recoil to allow for quicker follow up shots.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I have an Army friend that I used to be best friends with that I haven't seen since graduating college in 2006. He wants to get together when he gets off his tour and out of Afghanistan. I know he leads a squad and got a Bronze Star. Can someone give me a better idea than wikipedia what you have to do to get one of those?

I can't wait to meet his childrens! :3:

I need to get thisman a gift.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Captain Log posted:

I have an Army friend that I used to be best friends with that I haven't seen since graduating college in 2006. He wants to get together when he gets off his tour and out of Afghanistan. I know he leads a squad and got a Bronze Star. Can someone give me a better idea than wikipedia what you have to do to get one of those?

I can't wait to meet his childrens! :3:

I need to get thisman a gift.

Usually it's just the Army wanting to help a brother out by giving him a free accessory to match his balls.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Gtab posted:

Usually it's just the Army wanting to help a brother out by giving him a free accessory to match his balls.

The thing that sticks with me about this guy is that when war broke out in Iraq in 2003 he was hardcore about going into the military as it was a family tradition. But he was at a tiny liberal arts college of 1000 kids that all shat on the idea. (Myself included I didn't want my buddy getting shot.) Then fast forward to 2006 when public opinion has swung the other way and he still enlists after graduating and is now on his third tour.

Dude has a big pair of balls for sure.

Gift idea - Ballsack display case?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

You are some impressive kind of confused if you think public opinion swung to pro-war in 2006

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Gtab posted:

You are some impressive kind of confused if you think public opinion swung to pro-war in 2006

I'm saying it swung anti war. Sorry if my grasp of English fails me again.

2003 - Yeah WOOO were gonna put a boot up Saddam's rear end sure I'll join up in three and a half years.

2006 - Man this war thing isn't working out...friend still signs up and stays true to word.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 17, 2011

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I'm saying it swung anti war. Sorry if my grasp of English fails me again.

Ah, you said the arts college shat on it and then said opinion swung the other way, so I got confused :keke:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Just to prove to myself that I'm not an idiot, it is 100% without-a-doubt illegal for me to send a handgun via USPS if I'm not an FFL-01 dealer, right? (C&R won't cut it, right?)

This guy I sold a gun to is swearing up and down that it's totally fine to just slip it in a $5 flat-rate box and not mess with an FFL to save myself some money (I'd save $10-15 dollars, probably; my FFL is cheap). I'm sure I wouldn't get caught, but it doesn't seem worth it. He just wrote me another email saying he emailed a bunch of his buddies and they think I'm "nuts" for going through an FFL, even after I had emailed him 3 or 4 links to the ATF, USPS, UPS and FedEx regulations.

I'm not really doubting myself but he's so insistent he does it all the time, and now that I think about it, I've gotten a few C&R guns shipped to my house from other FFL-03 holders.

VVV
Yeah, it's my first online handgun sale and I'm pretty sure I'm going to try going the FTF route from now on.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 18, 2011

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

Just to prove to myself that I'm not an idiot, it is 100% without-a-doubt illegal for me to send a handgun via USPS if I'm not an FFL-01 dealer, right? (C&R won't cut it, right?)

This guy I sold a gun to is swearing up and down that it's totally fine to just slip it in a $5 flat-rate box and not mess with an FFL to save myself some money (I'd save $10-15 dollars, probably; my FFL is cheap). I'm sure I wouldn't get caught, but it doesn't seem worth it. He just wrote me another email saying he emailed a bunch of his buddies and they think I'm "nuts" for going through an FFL, even after I had emailed him 3 or 4 links to the ATF, USPS, UPS and FedEx regulations.

It has to go to an FFL. Sorry your buyer is a moron :( If you have a copy of the receiving FFL and they're cool with accepting shipments from private citizens, you can overnight it from a UPS or FedEx hub. Only FFLs can send handguns via USPS.

It's cheaper and easier to just do it through your own FFL, most likely.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 18, 2011

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

LifeSizePotato posted:

I'm not really doubting myself but he's so insistent he does it all the time, and now that I think about it, I've gotten a few C&R guns shipped to my house from other FFL-03 holders.

VVV
Yeah, it's my first online handgun sale and I'm pretty sure I'm going to try going the FTF route from now on.

You only have to ship to an FFL. Not from an FFL.

Handguns cannot be shipped via USPS, though. You need to use UPS or FedEx. And if you do it, call ahead. Sometimes the people working there don't know the policy about guns and don't want to take them.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Shroomie posted:

Handguns cannot be shipped via USPS, though. You need to use UPS or FedEx. And if you do it, call ahead. Sometimes the people working there don't know the policy about guns and don't want to take them.

Or just don't tell Fedex/UPS it's a gun. There's no law saying you have to do so as long as the gun's being shipped to an FFL.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Yeah, I knew that. His bone of contention is specifically that I can ship it with the US Postal Service using their cheap flat-rate boxes. I'd rather do USPS + FFL fee because FedEx/UPS require you to do it overnight air, which ends up being like $60.

Edit: Regarding Craptacular's comment, that was another thing I was considering. Crap (can I call you that?) mentioned earlier in the thread that sending it via US mail is a felony, but I figure with UPS/FedEx, if I break their rule it's nothing more than violating a corporate policy, and there shouldn't be any REAL penalty (unless they lose it and I probably couldn't get my insurance back?). Main reason I didn't pursue that much further though really is that it looked like it would be about $20 or so to ship it with them, and that's about what I'll be out by doing it the right way.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 18, 2011

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Also, Fedex/UPS insurance is worthless. If you have something really valuable you need to ship, send it USPS registered mail and/or insure it separately.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

I am going to buy a Primary Arms M3 clone tonight unless someone can point me to a better optic at that price point.

It is going on a .22 so I am not so hungup on it being super tough.

Blemish
Jun 27, 2005

RABID MEAT PIES

As stated in my previous post I'm looking for .32-20 Winchester ammo, and it's just not there :(. Cheapest seems to be about $1/round, and even then it's a hassle with shipping, FFL and all that jazz. I sincerely appreciate all the help and advice, guys :)

I'm sure I'm in way over my head and should just buy a box of 20rds, shoot all but six and keep it as a nightstand gun, but I would like to make my own for myself and a couple of guys at the range. Is it feasible to buy very basic reloading tools so I can painstakingly make each round? Or (as I suspect) is that a desperate, last-chance dumbass idea?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

It's not an ideal nightstand gun, but better than nothing I suppose.

Here's the reloading megathread, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2868499, though I don't see a good how to, etc, in the first few pages.
In any case, it isn't horribly difficult, and straight sided black powder cartridges like what you'd be loading for are probably the easiest.

If I remember correctly, you can get a basic reloading setup for about $100, though others will have to tell you what to look for.

Does anyone feel like putting together a basic reloading for dummies guide? I'll link to it from the newbie thread, at least.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

I like turtles posted:

It's not an ideal nightstand gun, but better than nothing I suppose.

Here's the reloading megathread, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2868499, though I don't see a good how to, etc, in the first few pages.
In any case, it isn't horribly difficult, and straight sided black powder cartridges like what you'd be loading for are probably the easiest.

If I remember correctly, you can get a basic reloading setup for about $100, though others will have to tell you what to look for.

Does anyone feel like putting together a basic reloading for dummies guide? I'll link to it from the newbie thread, at least.

A decent reloading manual will serve, though it is a fair chunk of reading that will take a couple nights to soak in. That's pretty much the least negotiable part of a basic setup. I'll be glad to drop a "how to put together straight-walled cases without breaking anything" guide in that thread.

Edit: Oh hey, there's basically the equipment loadout on Page 54 of that very page.

I wrote a goddamned wall of text that everyone having an actual conversation in that thread will hate. If you can't read it all the way through...well, you're not going to like the manuals much better!

thermobollocks fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 18, 2011

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

bunnielab posted:

I am going to buy a Primary Arms M3 clone tonight unless someone can point me to a better optic at that price point.

It is going on a .22 so I am not so hungup on it being super tough.

I wouldn't worry about it holding up, the Primary Arms sights have held up like a champ for me with a few hundred rounds of 12 gauge full power slugs under it.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Would the M3 clone or the micro be better for a Marlin 336? I'm leaning towards the latter

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Is there an easy way to get a 2nd day air quote from USPS so I can figure out what shipping cost from a dealer will be? They seem to only show "Express" or "Priority" options online, which doesn't really help.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

ELEVEN months until I can get into a mandatory pistol safety class. Any suggestions on what to do until then to make the rest of the process of getting my permit go smoothly? I'm in saratoga county NY if it matters.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Can you go to another county to take the class?

Get a pellet gun?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

I like turtles posted:

Is there an easy way to get a 2nd day air quote from USPS so I can figure out what shipping cost from a dealer will be? They seem to only show "Express" or "Priority" options online, which doesn't really help.

Express is a 1-2 day service, so I think that is their version of 2nd day air. If you know or can estimate the dimensions and weight of what the package might be, then you can use the shipping calculator to figure out the price.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

walrusman posted:

Can you go to another county to take the class?

Get a pellet gun?

All the neighboring counties use the same place. Its their way of throttling applicants I bet.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ozmiander posted:

ELEVEN months until I can get into a mandatory pistol safety class. Any suggestions on what to do until then to make the rest of the process of getting my permit go smoothly? I'm in saratoga county NY if it matters.

Is there only one course, given only in one place? Or can you take an NRA course in its place?

Jack O Neill
Jul 24, 2005

One man's floor is another man's ceiling

Hey can anyone recommend a decent IWB holster for a CZ-75?

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

For lack of a better place to do this:

Musclecoder/Dallas Shooting Supplies:

Bought some 10-round Glock mags because I moved to terrible California. Placed order on the 9th and 9 days later it's still "awaiting fulfillment". When can I expect my stuff? I kind of expected when you can order poo poo, it's actually in stock. Thanks.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

Jack O Neill posted:

Hey can anyone recommend a decent IWB holster for a CZ-75?

Crossbreed SuperTuck. That is all.

Jack O Neill
Jul 24, 2005

One man's floor is another man's ceiling

Exit Strategy posted:

Crossbreed SuperTuck. That is all.

Looks good, thanks!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Why do holsters always often have such retarded names?

walrusman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

walrusman posted:

Why do holsters always have such retarded names?

They don't always. But try to picture in your mind a Bianchi 100 or a Safariland 6281.