Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Crazy Banter posted:

What's a good resource for a Remington 870? Mine has decide recently to no longer load a second shell after firing. It works fine if you cycle it manually, but is hit or miss after being fired. A little fiddling has led me to believe that it is related to the arm that hits the transfer bar that releases shells from the tube, but I am a gunsmith.

Wait, so, you mean it won't cycle correctly after firing, but will cycle correctly if you just pump it?

After firing, where does the problem occur? Can you bring the forearm back, successfully ejecting the fired hull? When you push the forearm forwards again, what does it do? Jam? Not get a round from the tube at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

What the heck what kind of ranges cost that much? I was just complaining about how mine cost $30/year with a first time $30 starting fee.

Now I feel bad. :(

There's a semi-local range here that used to be like $800 to join and $400 a year. They've recently dropped their fees I just learned, to $280 initiation and $280 a year. I'm seriously considering it too, since they've got a 600yd range and a bunch of other facilities.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

charliebravo77 posted:

There's a semi-local range here that used to be like $800 to join and $400 a year. They've recently dropped their fees I just learned, to $280 initiation and $280 a year. I'm seriously considering it too, since they've got a 600yd range and a bunch of other facilities.

What range? Details, STAT!

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

I've never seen a range around here, public or private, with a rifle range over 100 yards long. I really want to try shooting at longer distances but there's just nowhere to do it. :(

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

wilfoy posted:

I've never seen a range around here, public or private, with a rifle range over 100 yards long. I really want to try shooting at longer distances but there's just nowhere to do it. :(

Just find a straight stretch of highway.
Dont actually shoot along a stretch of highway

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My local club has a 200yd range but you're not allowed to hang targets out there, because it makes the ceasefires too long. They just have two big steel gongs that are damned hard to see because of brush growth most of the time.

hedgiejugglr
Feb 18, 2007

walrusman posted:

My local club has a 200yd range but you're not allowed to hang targets out there, because it makes the ceasefires too long. They just have two big steel gongs that are damned hard to see because of brush growth most of the time.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Your range is loving weird. They have some of the strangest and dumbest rules. I think everyone that goes there must just be incredibly with some of the stupid rules you've recounted to me.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Hope this is a good thread for this, pretty new to TFR except for some lurking.

I'm very seriously considering purchasing a Springfield Armory XD40 3" subcompact from him which is in new condition less than 500 rounds put through it, with all the original stuff plus a few extra mags (I believe 1 extra 9 round and 1 extra 12 round mag). $400 total.

I loved the feel and firing of the gun, but I am wondering if this is a bit overpriced? Or maybe it is a great deal. I think he is going to have it inspected by a gunsmith also, so that should help.

Any input on this?

Also he wants me to get rid of two factory sealed 12-round mags for the things on top of it should I just buy them to have? I'm not going to be using the gun at ranges or anything just for "in-case" home protection so I really shouldn't be firing the thing a whole lot. I want a different gun for that.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Lunchboxx posted:

What range? Details, STAT!

Aurora Sportsmans Club
http://www.aurorasc.org/

There's an informational meeting for prospective members on the 12th. I'll probably be going to it just to see the facilities and decide if it's worth $600 to start and ~$300/yr.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Bleh Maestro posted:

I'm very seriously considering purchasing a Springfield Armory XD40 3" subcompact from him which is in new condition less than 500 rounds put through it, with all the original stuff plus a few extra mags (I believe 1 extra 9 round and 1 extra 12 round mag). $400 total.
Also he wants me to get rid of two factory sealed 12-round mags for the things on top of it should I just buy them to have?

According to Buds, that's a good price considering you're getting everything original and a few extra magazines. If you like the feel of the gun, go for it. If you can talk him down to less than $24/each, I'd spring for them, just because more is better, and the guy won't have any use for them without the gun. :v:

Bleh Maestro posted:

I'm not going to be using the gun at ranges or anything just for "in-case" home protection so I really shouldn't be firing the thing a whole lot. I want a different gun for that.

Define "a whole lot." You should be proficient in anything you intend to protect yourself with, probably to the point where drawing and firing it is muscle memory. And, honestly, for a nightstand gun, a subcompact isn't ideal. Carrying, on the other hand, it's great. However, you're still getting a pretty good deal, so I wouldn't feel bad. It's adequate -- an XD will go boom every time and, given proper shot placement, adequately stop an attacker.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

thermobollocks posted:

According to Buds, that's a good price considering you're getting everything original and a few extra magazines. If you like the feel of the gun, go for it. If you can talk him down to less than $24/each, I'd spring for them, just because more is better, and the guy won't have any use for them without the gun. :v:

Define "a whole lot." You should be proficient in anything you intend to protect yourself with, probably to the point where drawing and firing it is muscle memory. And, honestly, for a nightstand gun, a subcompact isn't ideal. Carrying, on the other hand, it's great. However, you're still getting a pretty good deal, so I wouldn't feel bad. It's adequate -- an XD will go boom every time and, given proper shot placement, adequately stop an attacker.

Well, I definitely don't want to put any more wear on the gun than needed since it's for home protection, and, it's not a home it's a small one bedroom condo so I think the subcompact is good for the amount of room I'm dealing with, and my hands are pretty small, the gun feels perfect in my hands.

I'm already familiar with firearms and know how to shoot, you're right though that I will need to practice with this specific gun though. I absolutely love the luger style safety on these XD's! For home protection for me it is perfect because I would be too scared to remember the safety of a normal gun.

Also, I do live in AZ so I may carry it around also which is really no big deal here. Basically the only plus to my state. I suppose I will need a second gun eventually, one for home and one for carry.

I think I'm going to spring for it...I would maybe like a 4" barrel instead of the 3 inch but I trust the person I'm gettin it from which means I don't have to waste my time on shopping around and risking a used gun that wasn't properly taken care of.

Thanks for the advice.

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 1, 2011

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

charliebravo77 posted:

Aurora Sportsmans Club
http://www.aurorasc.org/

There's an informational meeting for prospective members on the 12th. I'll probably be going to it just to see the facilities and decide if it's worth $600 to start and ~$300/yr.

Wow, that actually looks both really nice and very reasonable as far as price and rules and etc. Compared to some of the other private clubs in the area, at least.

Let me know how that meeting goes, despite the drive I would be interested in something like this. It is much cheaper than some (Northbrook) and the size and condition of the facilities look to be much nicer than the rest.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Insane Totoro posted:

What the heck what kind of ranges cost that much? I was just complaining about how mine cost $30/year with a first time $30 starting fee.

Probably depends on how it's outfitted, too. My range was building some action shooting bays, and had 4 pretty nice ranges already plus an indoor air rifle facility, NRA training classes, keycard-activated gates for entry, etc.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

Don't feel bad. Most of the ones that charge that much are ones that give you ALOT of room.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...033817&t=h&z=15

There are two shotgun fields, one trap with two trap houses and a 5 stand setup, and one with two skeet setups. A 200/300 yard range, a rimfire 100yard. These have to be closed for safety for using the 600 yard range. A 100 yard General purpose range. A Black powder/silhouette range. A 50 yard pistol range. The action shooting pits. And the icing, a 24hour indoor Airgun/rimfire only range.

The quarry to the left (west) is also a part of the property that the club is going to make into an action shooting complex.

All this for $120/year.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Probably not going to do it this time around, but just wondering for the future.

If I have a stripped AR receiver, and I decide I want to make a SBR out of it, all I have to do is get the tax stamp before purchasing the upper, right?

And then once that serial is SBR, it will always be considered a SBR?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Fremry posted:

Probably not going to do it this time around, but just wondering for the future.

If I have a stripped AR receiver, and I decide I want to make a SBR out of it, all I have to do is get the tax stamp before purchasing the upper, right?

And then once that serial is SBR, it will always be considered a SBR?

Yep, you submit a form 1 and wait for the stamp to come back. You'll get it engraved first.

And yes, it'll always be an SBR, unless you decide to deregister it with the ATF, which generally worth it.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

Well, I definitely don't want to put any more wear on the gun than needed since it's for home protection, and, it's not a home it's a small one bedroom condo so I think the subcompact is good for the amount of room I'm dealing with, and my hands are pretty small, the gun feels perfect in my hands.

It will take several thousand rounds before you have to replace even the wimpiest part of any modern gun. You only really have to clean it every few hundred. You're not going to wear it out by using it regularly, and not practicing with it will be extremely detrimental to your performance should, god forbid, you ever have to use it to defend yourself.

Bleh Maestro posted:

I'm already familiar with firearms and know how to shoot, you're right though that I will need to practice with this specific gun though. I absolutely love the luger style safety on these XD's! For home protection for me it is perfect because I would be too scared to remember the safety of a normal gun.

:raise:

There are lots of options out there without manual safeties. Glocks leap to mind, but also most flavors of XD, SA/DA Sigs, HKs, FNs, etc. Just because this one gun is presented to you for a decent (not incredible) price, doesn't mean that you have to buy it now now now and this is the only cheap gun you'll ever find.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Also, I do live in AZ so I may carry it around also which is really no big deal here. Basically the only plus to my state. I suppose I will need a second gun eventually, one for home and one for carry.

Get a good holster. That is the best carry advice you can get. Spend at least $60.

Bleh Maestro posted:

I think I'm going to spring for it...I would maybe like a 4" barrel instead of the 3 inch but I trust the person I'm gettin it from which means I don't have to waste my time on shopping around and risking a used gun that wasn't properly taken care of.

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, but you should know: used guns are not hand grenades. I've bought several, my friends have bought dozens, my family has bought hundreds, and none of us have ever had a serious problem with a used handgun. They're rugged, reliable machines and they're very hard to damage. Buying a gun from a friend is a fine thing to do but you shouldn't consider it magically safer or more legit than buying someone else's used gun.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Bleh Maestro posted:

It's a gun, dude. Clean it regularly and don't abuse it, but you needn't be ginger with it. You're not going to break anything by regular use (with regular care) unless something's defective, which is better to find out sooner than later. Even recoil springs, which are basically the only consumable, are good for a few thousand rounds before replacing them. Also, I agree that used guns are still usually mechanically fine.

(fake-edit: Walrusman :argh:)

And the choice of a larger gun over a smaller one for nightstand use isn't really about "what if I need to engage ten Colombian drug gang enforcers, 8 rounds out of a 1911 isn't going to do it, I need an AR with a 100 round magazine." The idea is that concealablity is unnecessary in your own home, and a larger-framed gun, all other things being equal, will be more controllable and accurate. But, again, if you shoot the subcompact well, there's nothing wrong with it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

RE: ranges

I would be much, much more willing to pay for a membership if the ranges weren't dickheads about bringing guests. I want to take my friends to a rifle range but it's strictly members-only with the exception of their first visit. Charge me five or ten bucks or something, I don't care. Just let me bring my friends. :(

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I'm paying $85 a year for a 300 yard range just inside MA. Even though I'm an hour away it still beats the Connecticut range situation.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Fifty Three posted:

I would be much, much more willing to pay for a membership if the ranges weren't dickheads about bringing guests. I want to take my friends to a rifle range but it's strictly members-only with the exception of their first visit. Charge me five or ten bucks or something, I don't care. Just let me bring my friends. :(

That make sense if you are a bitter, friendless old man.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Comfy sponk posted:

Don't feel bad. Most of the ones that charge that much are ones that give you ALOT of room.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...033817&t=h&z=15

There are two shotgun fields, one trap with two trap houses and a 5 stand setup, and one with two skeet setups. A 200/300 yard range, a rimfire 100yard. These have to be closed for safety for using the 600 yard range. A 100 yard General purpose range. A Black powder/silhouette range. A 50 yard pistol range. The action shooting pits. And the icing, a 24hour indoor Airgun/rimfire only range.

The quarry to the left (west) is also a part of the property that the club is going to make into an action shooting complex.

All this for $120/year.

:flashfap: Make the indoor 24-hour one airgun/rimfire/handgun and I'll root the whole joint up and haul it over here to Spokane. Being bored and not able to get to sleep at 2 AM would be much more acceptable if I could (legally :jihad:) go out and play.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Bleh Maestro posted:

Thanks for the advice.

XD's are good, shoot it as much as you can and don't worry about it. After a few boxes you won't even notice when you hit a thousand, two thousand, until you look around and realize you're homeless from buying all that ammo. Or not, who knows, it might not be your thing, but a few boxes of ammo through any gun is mandatory.

Crazy Banter
Apr 1, 2001

I like turtles posted:

Wait, so, you mean it won't cycle correctly after firing, but will cycle correctly if you just pump it?

After firing, where does the problem occur? Can you bring the forearm back, successfully ejecting the fired hull? When you push the forearm forwards again, what does it do? Jam? Not get a round from the tube at all?

I can bring the forearm back and it will eject the hull just fine, and cycle it back closed again, just with nothing in the chamber. It doesn't release a new round from the magazine. No jams, and pulling the trigger to cycle again will load fine.

alain perdrix, sorry to be confusing

Crazy Banter fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 1, 2011

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Crazy Banter posted:

I can bring the forearm back and it will eject the hull just fine, and cycle it back closed again, just with nothing in the chamber. It doesn't release a new round from the magazine. No jams, and pulling the trigger will allow me to cycle again, which will load fine.

Weird, try the shotgun thread. Actual questions sometimes get lost here, heh

Crazy Banter
Apr 1, 2001

I like turtles posted:

Weird, try the shotgun thread. Actual questions sometimes get lost here, heh

Good thought, I will do that. Anyways, moving along folks, nothing to see here.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Shroomie posted:

Apparently they are the leftovers from a DHS contract batch.

I wouldn't know anything about that. :ninja:

We were on Federal 135-grain rounds but recently switched to the Winchester. The Federal had a larger hollow point cavity, but I think the Winchester shoots a lot more nicely - the recoil isn't as bad and the muzzle blast isn't as sharp.

Just note that these are "plain" Rangers, not Ranger-Ts.

I'm personally not a big fan of 135-grainers out of a .40; I'd rather have a heavier bullet, especially for work around vehicles. YMMV.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Crazy Banter posted:

I can bring the forearm back and it will eject the hull just fine, and cycle it back closed again, just with nothing in the chamber. It doesn't release a new round from the magazine. No jams, and pulling the trigger to cycle again will load fine.

I'm going to bet you need to replace either your carrier dog spring, your mag follower/spring, or both. Not expensive at all, and you should be good to go after that.

e: just re-read the details in the shotgun thread, it is a mystery

Alain Perdrix fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 2, 2011

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Anyone ever dealt with SGAmmo.com?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Crazy Banter posted:

Good thought, I will do that. Anyways, moving along folks, nothing to see here.

One time I reassembled my 870 without the mag spring in it. Check to make sure you didn't do that. :saddowns:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Second part of my question, what brands/types of .45acp hollow point ammo is decent these days?

Ammotogo, whom I love dealing with, doesnt have Win Rangers so I am either going to have to pick something else, order from the random place or just hope that they all fall to hardball, atleast for the next few weeks.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

bunnielab posted:

I did some googling a while back and they seem legit. I haven't had the cash to try them out yet, though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

Shroomie posted:

I did some googling a while back and they seem legit. I haven't had the cash to try them out yet, though.

Ok, but if they rip me off I am going to track you down and throw an empty gun at you.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Ok, but if they rip me off I am going to track you down and throw an empty gun at you.

Can I keep it?

Edit: Their GunBroker account has a shitton of feedback

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 2, 2011

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

bunnielab posted:

They apparently made a hefty unsolicited donation to gun-deals.com, so I would feel ok buying there.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

You guys and your research.

Also, reading bitchy feedback posts on gunbroker is kinda funny. It is like this guy :bahgawd: brought to life.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005

Pillbug

I got a variety pack of ammo from them a couple weeks ago, no problems here!

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Fifty Three posted:

The range I go to is the same way, only one guest allowed per trip and they can only be a guest once. Only thing is, for one no one ever checks membership cards (I've only ever gotten a "You a member here?", never had to actually show it.) Two, if you find a time where no one else is there, it really doesn't matter.

For $25/year though, I'm not going to complain too much.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Man I would do terrible degrading things for a decent private range that charged a mere three figures annually.

gently caress NoVA :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg

I ordered $600 worth of handgun ammo from SGAmmo with no issues.