Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I like turtles posted:

The Canadians mentioned this in their thread, where I started bemoaning the fact that I couldn't find one in the states. That said, has anyone heard of one in the states?

I emailed the manufacturer a couple months ago (with the intent of making it into a Judge-ish SBS). They replied and said they had no US distributor, so that's where I left it. According to the ATF regs I read, it's pretty easy for even an 01 FFL to import sporting shotguns (compared to say, importing a handgun), but I haven't pursued this any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Help us Goon FFL01s, you're our only hope. I'd go up to probably... $700-$800 for one of them? Would prefer cheaper, of course, but that would be my outside limit based on my spur of the moment judgment right now. If they were substantially cheaper, say around $400, a full sized and an SBS would probably be in the cards.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 1, 2010

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Even assuming that the price listed in moon money on that site is wildly inaccurate and overpriced by 200%, you'd still be at around $2k USD for the gun delivered to you. Not worth it IMO.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Canadian gun prices are so wacky I wouldn't suggest even considering guessing the US cost of such a thing based on them.

"Think the judge is awesome? Well meet the Jury... of 12... Gauge".

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 1, 2010

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Old shooting buddy who is getting, well, old as well as rather sick is thinking about selling his bullet casting business. fully automated commercial casting gear, just keep the lead filled and fluxed and it churns out bullets. Dies in most popular bullet diameters, weights, and nose shapes.

$15,000 for the whole thing, plus client list. I'm an idiot and am thinking about it somewhat seriously.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

NosmoKing posted:

Old shooting buddy who is getting, well, old as well as rather sick is thinking about selling his bullet casting business. fully automated commercial casting gear, just keep the lead filled and fluxed and it churns out bullets. Dies in most popular bullet diameters, weights, and nose shapes.

$15,000 for the whole thing, plus client list. I'm an idiot and am thinking about it somewhat seriously.

You could do worse with 15K. If you're serious I'd demand his numbers -sales, costs, etc. See how many months or years to recoup your investment, how much time is needed and ask yourself if you really want to run a business. Also I wonder if processing lead requires special permits or anything like that. Of course find out what such a rig would cost new so you can see what you're really paying for in addition to the customer list. Buying something that can generate revenue is not a bad idea but do your research.

E: And even though it's fully automated at the end of the day you're, with no insult intended to anyone in similar industry, doing manual labor processing lead. It could be pretty bleak work for some.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 1, 2010

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

FYI since bullets are ammo components you'll need an 06 FFL to manufacture bullets for sale.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Also don't forget that even "fully automated" machinery probably needs a lot of cleaning and maintenance work, plus all the paper work, hazardous material permits, etc.

I'd think twice about opening a business on a whim- there's too many small business owners who never really do anything other than covering their costs while working for (sometimes less than) minimum wage.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

On the plus side, you can probably get Mike Rowe to work there for a day. Dirty jobs bonus.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

I assume it is Magma gear that only makes bevel base bullets? The market is flooded with those lovely things.

Now if it will cast flat based or gas check bullets, then buy that poo poo right now.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

DrakeriderCa posted:

So what the gently caress happened to Aperature Priority (was that his name?) - the guy that runs 1791 apparel - I want some more T-shirts, dammit.

Don't you go confusing me with 28_Days, I'm nowhere near as awesome as he is. His site has been down but it says it will be back today?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Aside from purchases from a licensed dealer and interstate purchases, when else does a transfer need to occur?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Don't more places than usual in the US ban shotguns with cylinders? Or am I just talking out of my rear end regarding the Street Sweeper and similar that are non-importable/DDs because of lack of "sporting purpose?"

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

Aside from purchases from a licensed dealer and interstate purchases, when else does a transfer need to occur?

When state or local law bans private sales.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

I seem to recall it being mentioned on here it being needed in cases of inheriting a pistol. Or would that just be if you inherited it from someone across state lines?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Actually, if you're receiving a firearm from someone's estate by bequest, then federal law doesn't even require that you use an FFL at all, interstate or not.

18 USC 922(a)(3) posted:

(a) It shall be unlawful -
(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Why is the government profile AR barrel so weird? Is there a reason to chose it over lightweight profile, besides the m203 option?

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

AntiTank posted:

Why is the government profile AR barrel so weird? Is there a reason to chose it over lightweight profile, besides the m203 option?

M203 mounting is the only reason. I like them because they look cooler and more legit. Plus I technically could put a flare launcher on there.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

AntiTank posted:

There's no M203 notch on a government profile barrel.

Edit: It's weird because it tapers underneath the handguard where no one can see it on a finished rifle. It saves weight. Most lightweight profiles are only a few ounces lighter.

Pitch fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 2, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Didn't know whether I should post in here, in the small questions thread in A/T, or make a new thread in A/T. Here won.

On my new (third hand) air rifle, the cocking lever (I think it's aluminium?) has what looks like a bit of dirt or patina on it. Here are some linked images of it.

http://imgur.com/RaXYp.jpg
http://imgur.com/b8YMP.jpg
http://imgur.com/Kzi1b.jpg
http://imgur.com/kpQxH.jpg

It's probably most visible in the second and last images, the last one is deliberately underexposed to make it more visible. Does anyone know how I can get rid of the marking?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 2, 2010

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

I heard that there is a thread in here that deals with people who claim to have been special forces and the easy ways to debunk them. Any ideas on a link?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

demonachizer posted:

I heard that there is a thread in here that deals with people who claim to have been special forces and the easy ways to debunk them. Any ideas on a link?

You want the SOCNET forums (they have a whole forum in there with a zillion people who can check this stuff) or POW Network.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Gtab posted:

You want the SOCNET forums (they have a whole forum in there with a zillion people who can check this stuff) or POW Network.

Oh I don't want to call someone out. I just had heard that there was a thread around where people were discussing it and wanted to brush up my act as a former army seal ranger before going down to the bar to get free drinks.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

demonachizer posted:

Oh I don't want to call someone out. I just had heard that there was a thread around where people were discussing it and wanted to brush up my act as a former army seal ranger before going down to the bar to get free drinks.

This is a great plan

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Be sure to wear Doc Martens with your ill-fitting BLOOD STRIPES

this is what I do to pick up BUD/S washouts at the I-5 rest stop outside Coronado

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

Gtab posted:

Do they cover Delta poo poo? I've got a guy I need to gently caress with so bad. If I'm wrong he'll kill me sure, but his history is so hosed I'm sure he's wrong.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Eat This Glob posted:

Do they cover Delta poo poo? I've got a guy I need to gently caress with so bad. If I'm wrong he'll kill me sure, but his history is so hosed I'm sure he's wrong.

If someone is claiming he was in the poo poo with Delta, it's pretty much guaranteed he's talking out of his rear end. You'll notice that pretty much the only publicly acknowledged members of Delta are either a) high ranking (Charlie Beckwith, Peter Schoomaker, etc.); b) dead (Randy Shugart and Gary Gordon), or c) the few retired members who are breaking the code of silence (Eric Haney, Larry Vickers, a few of the guys Mark Bowden interviewed for Black Hawk Down.) All those guys did so for good reasons...someone just randomly bragging about it almost guarantees that someone is full of poo poo.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

When I was working in a gas station, I met a guy with a Delta tattoo on his arm one day. He was a short ginger dude with black eyes. Like, no color in his eyes, they were black and white. I asked him if his tattoo was what I thought it was. He just sort of smiled and I said, 'bad rear end' and we talked about guns for 10 minutes.

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

How many licks does it take to get to them bottom of a ? Do you get it is it is like .223 ammunatiition is the .608 ammo like the headspace differences. Who cares about remington 5.56 when the cowboy comes. The dude is FLYING at the 9.87 nine point eight meteres per codeon gravity fall. Who cares? 223 or 556 is for gays to bi kcker over.

Answer the question please

Lono was taken
Aug 26, 2006

This is Detective Faggot Mulder, they want to shut down the Ass Files.

FalconGuy016 posted:

How many licks does it take to get to them bottom of a ? Do you get it is it is like .223 ammunatiition is the .608 ammo like the headspace differences. Who cares about remington 5.56 when the cowboy comes. The dude is FLYING at the 9.87 nine point eight meteres per codeon gravity fall. Who cares? 223 or 556 is for gays to bi kcker over.

Cool gimmick

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Lono was taken posted:

Cool gimmick

Gimmick? ?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

FalconGuy016 posted:

what

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

FalconGuy016 posted:

Thirty seven. Next question?

Robot Battalion
May 26, 2001

I have a question that has been bugging me for awhile now. If Luger P08s are so drat popular, how come nobody makes them any more? Who holds the rights to make them? Same goes with Mauser pistols. Is it due to the Nazi connection? I mean, Walther still make pistols and just as many Walther pistols were made and issued during the war. What gives?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Mxlplx posted:

I have a question that has been bugging me for awhile now. If Luger P08s are so drat popular, how come nobody makes them any more? Who holds the rights to make them? Same goes with Mauser pistols. Is it due to the Nazi connection? I mean, Walther still make pistols and just as many Walther pistols were made and issued during the war. What gives?

They're not THAT popular. And they're not an easy pistol to manufacture. I doubt they could be made nowadays for less than $800 or so, and you can buy a surplus shooter-grade Luger for a lot less than that.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mxlplx posted:

Cyrano has summed it up as: they're an antiquated, extremely complex design that is difficult to make run properly, and they end up as expensive, or more, as war era ones. A number of folks have attempted making new productions ones, all have stopped fairly soon thereafter.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I like turtles posted:

Cyrano has summed it up as: they're an antiquated, extremely complex design that is difficult to make run properly, and they end up as expensive, or more, as war era ones. A number of folks have attempted making new productions ones, all have stopped fairly soon thereafter.

And it is a tooling issue. Getting the proper tooling setup is $ohgodywhy and the market is tiny. Basically just not worth it.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Yeah, Lugers are neat and are iconic of the World War eras, but they are overly complicated. Just trying to make the tooling and then the time to make them would be prohibitively expensive. At the very least, a new production one would be way more expensive than a shooter grade original. I mean, the reason they stopped making them was that the machine tools wore out and it made more sense to build an easier and cheaper pistol. That's also why other old pistol designs are still around, because they are easy enough to make and can be profitable for the manufacturer.

STAT1C_X
May 9, 2004

by angerbot

I am uncertain if I should post this here or in the AR-15 thread, but I'll try here first: where did my pivot pin detent go?

Edit: Found it. You guys really are awesome.

STAT1C_X fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

STAT1C_X posted:

I am uncertain if I should post this here or in the AR-15 thread, but I'll try here first: where did my pivot pin detent go?

Edit: Found it. You guys really are awesome.

You owe me a beer. That is my going rate for finding things.