Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seriously, NC sucks for a lot of carry law. It's also illegal to carry a CHL anyplace that is "in a state of civil disorder." No, there is no hard and fast definition of "civil disorder."

For instance we couldn't carry and broke the law going to the range when Purdue declared a state of emergency over a drought a couple years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ophannin posted:

:hellyeah:

The wife about the fire a Thompson for the first time at The Firing Lane last December. Athens is a great place. I recommend checking out Trappeze for post-range fun for anyone not familiar with the area.

Holy poo poo look at the ceiling.

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

$5 FA isn't conducive to long ceiling life :v:

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Cyrano4747 posted:

:words:

Then, if caught, I would show up to court and pay the fine. I appreciate your concern but it's a risk I'm willing to take. I'm kind of a nutjob about that sort of thing, because all a NO-GUNS sign on the door does is tell everyone outside the store you don't have one when you come back out.

Ophannin
Mar 11, 2010

Naramyth posted:

Holy poo poo look at the ceiling.

When the guy handed us the Thompson he gave us a warning: "If you shoot the line for the targets, you pay for it". I have to assume this happens often. :ohdear: That said, I've never felt unsafe there. It's not a bad range all in all, although there are cheaper options around.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Drav posted:

Then, if caught, I would show up to court and pay the fine. I appreciate your concern but it's a risk I'm willing to take. I'm kind of a nutjob about that sort of thing, because all a NO-GUNS sign on the door does is tell everyone outside the store you don't have one when you come back out.

Agreed

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Mostly i think my biggest objection is that i don't want to have to take my gun off and put it somewhere just to spend 5 minutes depositing a check, or whatever the case may b.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Drav posted:

I admit, I don't have to face many no gun zones where I live, but when I do find one I just choose to take my business elsewhere. I agree with you on what the signs really mean. It means no one there has a weapon so it is easier to rob. I say that because in my town, people who try to rob liquor stores tend to get killed by the owner. I know of a furniture store in a bad part of town that has a no gun sign out front. It says something like, "For your safety, no weapons of any kind are permitted." Every time I see this I read it as, "Please rob us, we have money and no one will stop you." This is especially since last week a store in the same plaza was robbed and someone was shot outside an apartment complex.

adskip
Jan 27, 2009

I want to buy this safe:
http://beta.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_29437_-1?Ntt=safes&Ntk=All

Does anyone know anything about Cannon Safes? How hard is it to get a gun safe up stairs? I have a pickup an appliance dolly and plenty of help. Is bolting it down essential, I mean the thing weighs 430 lbs? It has a digital lock so what happens when the battery dies? Anybody with advice on dealing with this would be appreciated.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Get a dial lock, not a digital lock. Digital locks fail much more often.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Craptacular posted:

It's on the internet. Irrefutable PROOF!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3395686

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

adskip posted:

I want to buy this safe:
http://beta.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_29437_-1?Ntt=safes&Ntk=All

Does anyone know anything about Cannon Safes? How hard is it to get a gun safe up stairs? I have a pickup an appliance dolly and plenty of help. Is bolting it down essential, I mean the thing weighs 430 lbs? It has a digital lock so what happens when the battery dies? Anybody with advice on dealing with this would be appreciated.

I don't have any experience with that brand, but 1) to practice, have two of your friends go completely limp and then try and lift them up a flight of stairs at the same time; and 2) yes, it's virtually essential that you bolt it to a couple wall studs and probably the floor too. Most gun safes have nice strong doors and kinda wimpy sheet metal sides, leaving some vulnerability to getting the poo poo smashed out of them with axes and stuff. The best way to combat that is to make it so they can't easily chop at it with an axe, e.g. by putting it in a corner, closet or other out-of-the-way location and then bolting it there so you can't get to the sides without tearing your house down.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Propagandalf posted:

It's on the internet. Irrefutable PROOF!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3395686

Also when the terrorists detonate a nuclear weapon over the continental US and cause an EMP and all electronics stop working you won't be locked out of your safe, defenseless from the rampaging hordes.

adskip
Jan 27, 2009

Craptacular posted:

Also when the terrorists detonate a nuclear weapon over the continental US and cause an EMP and all electronics stop working you won't be locked out of your safe, defenseless from the rampaging hordes.

But my EOTech won't work either so who cares.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

adskip posted:

Thanks for the advice guys.

lol, I like this guy. Bail on your wedding and come to the shoot.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

adskip posted:

That's what a BUIS is for.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

adskip posted:

I want to buy this safe:

When the digital lock battery dies, it usually keeps the lock in the "open" position until you replace the battery. At least on mine it does. Not great from a security standpoint, but great for the sake of convenience.

Also, my current safe was 400 pounds empty, and a friend and I were able to muscle it up a flight of stairs by using a good dolly (one with the roller-track things that make it easier to move up or down stairs).

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

In before fat ogre.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.

Illegal Clown posted:

I admit, I don't have to face many no gun zones where I live, but when I do find one I just choose to take my business elsewhere. I agree with you on what the signs really mean. It means no one there has a weapon so it is easier to rob. I say that because in my town, people who try to rob liquor stores tend to get killed by the owner. I know of a furniture store in a bad part of town that has a no gun sign out front. It says something like, "For your safety, no weapons of any kind are permitted." Every time I see this I read it as, "Please rob us, we have money and no one will stop you." This is especially since last week a store in the same plaza was robbed and someone was shot outside an apartment complex.

Don't those signs just mean the customers don't have guns? I would assume that the owner could be packing but he just doesn't want "good Samaritans" firing off 8 wild shots into various store fixtures/innocent bystanders/owner's family.

I am a defensive driver. I fully expect that everyone on the road with me has no driving skills whatsoever and it helps me avoid accidents(knock on wood). I think I would trust the general public with guns to the same degree. I am not a very good shot nor do I have a CCW yet(seems daunting in MD) but the only shot I would trust to save my life would come from me.

Or maybe they are Quakers or Buddhists.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

I'm taking a trip to Korea at the end of the month, and a friend suggested I check out a shooting range in Seoul. I checked out a Japanese website for the place and saw that they actually have a .22LR pistol for rent: the Hämmerli SP20.

I couldn't find much information on it, but from what I can tell, it's apparently a pretty quality target gun. Does anyone else know anything more about this gun? I'm just idly curious about it because the Internet doesn't seem to have much info about it.

Sadly, it's not looking too likely that I'll be able to fit a range trip into the itinerary :smith:

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I'm taking a trip to Korea at the end of the month, and a friend suggested I check out a shooting range in Seoul. I checked out a Japanese website for the place and saw that they actually have a .22LR pistol for rent: the Hämmerli SP20.

I couldn't find much information on it, but from what I can tell, it's apparently a pretty quality target gun. Does anyone else know anything more about this gun? I'm just idly curious about it because the Internet doesn't seem to have much info about it.

Sadly, it's not looking too likely that I'll be able to fit a range trip into the itinerary :smith:

You make the time fit.

Also the first place I saw it for sale put it at $1300, plus it seems like you can adjust felt recoil :psyduck: as well as all manner of trigger attributes, from pull weight to take-up to over-travel and pre-travel and travel weight :psyduck: so yeah.

Info source here: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/sphsp20.htm

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

infrared35 posted:

Also, my current safe was 400 pounds empty, and a friend and I were able to muscle it up a flight of stairs by using a good dolly (one with the roller-track things that make it easier to move up or down stairs).

Know what I learned about moving safes? Take the door off, if it can be removed. On a lot of safes, if you open the door all the way, you can just lift it off the hinge pins. Then you move the body of the safe, which is much lighter without the door, and move the door on its own. It's much easier that way.

Just have someone help you get the door back on. It took me over an hour and a bent hinge pin before I gave up when I tried it on my own, and about 30 seconds with a friend to be successful. Holding that much weight and trying to get two points to line up is just a huge pain in the rear end, and drat near impossible. And if you leave the door on one hinge pin, and take a rest, you WILL bend that hinge pin.

Fortunately, a proper diameter and length carriage bolt with the head and threads cut off makes a drat fine replacement pin.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

adskip posted:

I want to buy this safe:

I have a Cannon safe. The lock blinks a warning light when the battery is low, and it warns you for a long time. In my case it warned me for about 6 months before I replaced the battery. Yes, you should bolt it down if that's an option.

Craptacular posted:

Whelp, didn't know this when I bought my safe.

Craptacular posted:

This is why I keep my safe wrapped loosely in tinfoil all the way around. Faraday Cage!

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 6, 2011

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Wa11y posted:

Know what I learned about moving safes? Take the door off, if it can be removed. On a lot of safes, if you open the door all the way, you can just lift it off the hinge pins. Then you move the body of the safe, which is much lighter without the door, and move the door on its own. It's much easier that way.

Plus, you can climb underneath it and walk around with it like a turtle.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

thermobollocks posted:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

thermobollocks posted:

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

I have some unknown gunsmith installed novak sites on my GI 1911. I want to replace the front site with one that has a dot. At what point do I measure the front site for height?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

thermobollocks posted:

Hope you've been eating your Wheaties.

Dr. Strangler
Jul 21, 2009

I 'snapped' and killed a bird and its baby purely because their chirping annoyed me. I got a buzz out of killing them both with one shot.

In other words, I have the mind of a serial killer.

I'm imagining you goofing around with the safe on your back, acting like a turtle, when a giant seagull smashes into your house, snatches you up and dashes you to pieces on a rock.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

If one wanted to fill/paint over the rollmark/etc on his AR lower, how much would be kosher? Obviously not the serial, but what about company names, caliber and model name?

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Ozmiander posted:

If one wanted to fill/paint over the rollmark/etc on his AR lower, how much would be kosher? Obviously not the serial, but what about company names, caliber and model name?

If not NFA, serial is mandatory and manufacturer + city/state is recommended, according to Orion Arms, who offer this as a service.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

I wouldn't take this as legal advice, but at a federal level I believe the serial number is the only one that must remain. Manufacturer's name, address, etc are all required for manufacture but the crime of possessing a defaced firearm only concerns the serial number.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

Exactly what i was hoping to hear. The lower i just picked up has a nice plain manu/serial, but gaudy rear end cal/safe/fire etching. poo poo's getting sand blasted and filled with JB Weld.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Ozmiander posted:

Exactly what i was hoping to hear. The lower i just picked up has a nice plain manu/serial, but gaudy rear end cal/safe/fire etching. poo poo's getting sand blasted and filled with JB Weld.

That sounds way more conspicuous than just filling the lettering with wax or something and hitting it with a sharpie.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

SadWhaleFamily posted:

You make the time fit.

Also the first place I saw it for sale put it at $1300, plus it seems like you can adjust felt recoil :psyduck: as well as all manner of trigger attributes, from pull weight to take-up to over-travel and pre-travel and travel weight :psyduck: so yeah.

Info source here: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/sphsp20.htm

Holy crap that gun is :psyduck:

Looking into that range more (Myeong-dong Live Firing Range for the curious), it looks like it costs about $40 to rent a handgun and shoot ten bullets. Ten. Bullets. Plus, the gun is secured in front of you on a rope:

I also read that the range officer has to count down from 3 before you can break a shot. I dunno if it'll be worth it...

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 13, 2011

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

It's primarily meant for Japanese people who just want to say that they've shot a gun. It's not for actually shooting in any real sense. You're probably going to go back to the US at some point, so just make time then and shoot a bunch. You'll use less money and have more fun.

Edit: Wait does that woman in the picture have a flak jacket on :psyduck:

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Illegal Clown posted:

It's a Value City Furniture isn't it? The one by me has two giant NO GUNS signs up on their front doors.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's primarily meant for Japanese people who just want to say that they've shot a gun. It's not for actually shooting in any real sense. You're probably going to go back to the US at some point, so just make time then and shoot a bunch. You'll use less money and have more fun.

Edit: Wait does that woman in the picture have a flak jacket on :psyduck:

I love that, flak jacket but no eye protection.

adskip
Jan 27, 2009

My brother's father-in-law gave my brother his old Browning Citori. The barrel has some rust on it and the stock has some pretty deep scratches.
barrel:
http://i.imgur.com/lJiNw.jpg
stock:
http://i.imgur.com/paa3r.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6e5rB.jpg
The rust on the barrel looks pretty bad. He's thinking about getting it blued and buying a new stock. Is that a good idea? I don't think there's anything special about the shotgun and it isn't real real old. I guess what I'm asking is there a better option than bluing and replacing the wood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Is that even rust? Looks like the bluing has just been worn away over time. The wood looks worn at the same spot, too, like someone took sandpaper to that area. Is the stock cracked anywhere? There's really no need to replace the wood unless it's too damaged to stand up to shooting. It's not pretty, but that's not going to effect how it works, unless your brother is just concerned with how it looks.