Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's nothing wrong with applying straight BLO when refinishing a stock. You just can't slather on a thick coat of it and leave it to cure without wiping off the excess.

Also, the area where your stock cures should be dry. Ambient moisture will increase the curing time drastically. If you have central air crank the AC and leave the stock upright over a vent. Otherwise, hang it someplace warm and dry and leave it alone for a week.

Buff it with steel wool and acetone then apply a very thin coat of straight BLO and leave it alone for a week at a minimum.

I did all of this. You'd be surprised at the Philadelphia weather. I think the least amount of time that I let this dry was 24 hours, and it was dried in an air conditioned apartment. I just need to understand this climate better, because I have AC 24 hours, AND a silicon rechargeable dehumidifier in my gun safe, and I still worry about rust. It's like a constant fight. I'd love if someone could give me a better idea. (and I can't do a dehumidifier, because it will overflow in 6 hours, and I work 10 hour days).

It sucks being a gun owner during a Philadelphia summer because you have to take care of them 24 hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Fremry posted:

I did all of this. You'd be surprised at the Philadelphia weather. I think the least amount of time that I let this dry was 24 hours, and it was dried in an air conditioned apartment. I just need to understand this climate better, because I have AC 24 hours, AND a silicon rechargeable dehumidifier in my gun safe, and I still worry about rust. It's like a constant fight. I'd love if someone could give me a better idea. (and I can't do a dehumidifier, because it will overflow in 6 hours, and I work 10 hour days).

It sucks being a gun owner during a Philadelphia summer because you have to take care of them 24 hours a day.
For the rust -

Buy some plastic storage bags and anti-rust vapor treatment tabs for the guns. Check the OP of the milsurp thread for a couple different solutions.

Brownells also has some good takes on that theme if you don't want to buy from CtD.

As for the stock, try letting it sit for a week. Sometimes if you're in a lovely environment like that it just takes that long.

I'd suggest doing your next stock project in the fall or winter rather than the middle of a muggy as poo poo summer.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Cyrano4747 posted:

For the rust -

Buy some plastic storage bags and anti-rust vapor treatment tabs for the guns. Check the OP of the milsurp thread for a couple different solutions.

Brownells also has some good takes on that theme if you don't want to buy from CtD.

As for the stock, try letting it sit for a week. Sometimes if you're in a lovely environment like that it just takes that long.

I'd suggest doing your next stock project in the fall or winter rather than the middle of a muggy as poo poo summer.

Get an appropriately sized length of pipe and two end caps, at least one of which should be removable. Near each end of the pipe, tee in a pair of needle valves and hose connections. Attach one valve to a hose from the regulator on a tank of dry argon. Attach the other valve to a mineral oil bubbler. Place your things to be kept rust-free in the pipe. Close and seal pipe. Open the argon cylinder and adjust the regulator to a couple psi, then open both needle valves and let the argon purge the air out of the pipe for a few minutes. Close both valves, then close the cylinder. Disconnect the hoses. Your things should stay rust-free for quite some time, depending on how well-sealed the threads on the pipe are. Be careful about wood stocks, as the low humidity may cause cracking.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you have central air crank the AC and leave the stock upright over a vent.

But the air coming out is at 100% relative humidity.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Fremry, we have spoken about this. At length.

I suggest : http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-EDV-E-500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1278507468&sr=8-8

its sitting in my gun safe now, and works very well. Sure, you plug it in later to purge the water back into the air, but you sealed the door of your gunsafe with weatherstripping, right?

Unless you go in daily to fondle weapons, it works well. after all the ammo my tantal went through at the 3 gun, i just now got around to cleaning it. No rust even with the oppressive humidity and rain alternating we get. The closet my safe is in shares an outside wall, and its not privy to conditioned air.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Check the OP of the milsurp thread for a couple different solutions.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I actually put the BLO on in March, and it's still a sticky mess.

I definitely have one of those. No new rust has shown up, but I leave the AC on 24 hours a day. I've just seen what the Philadelphia humidity can do in a couple days, and it concerns me.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Sorry, this isn't a question about a physical gun I own, it's a question about ballistics, and about a fictional show. I just figured one of you guys would know the answer.

So I'm watching "The Wire" and the characters are talking about a guy who tried to kill himself by shooting himself in the heart with a .44 caliber handgun. This prompts eye-rolls from the police, and it's revealed that he ended up with a nonfatal "contact wound" and a nickname for being stupid.

So, my question is: why doesn't shooting yourself at point-blank with a .44 completely destroy whatever part of yourself you aim it at?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

So, my question is: why doesn't shooting yourself at point-blank with a .44 completely destroy whatever part of yourself you aim it at?
It would. Maybe he missed the heart? A "contact wound" in forensics just means a normal gunshot wound that, because of powder burns on the skin and other evidence, was clearly done at extremely close range.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Yep. Maybe there was some other context in the show, but I'll let someone who's actually seen it address that angle.

Contact wounds from .44s are really ugly. I mean seriously ugly.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Sorry, this isn't a question about a physical gun I own, it's a question about ballistics, and about a fictional show. I just figured one of you guys would know the answer.

So I'm watching "The Wire" and the characters are talking about a guy who tried to kill himself by shooting himself in the heart with a .44 caliber handgun. This prompts eye-rolls from the police, and it's revealed that he ended up with a nonfatal "contact wound" and a nickname for being stupid.

While The Wire is one of the most realistic and greatest cop shows to ever air, they seem to have made a bit of an error in this case. While I don't remember this particular episode, it is possible that the gun wasn't pointed directly towards his chest, or the bullet glanced off of bone. However, a .44 magnum pointed directly center mass would cause a serious amount of damage.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

I think I want to clean the hell out of my WASR. Problem is that the inside of the receiver has a lot of very fine metal shavings from where the magwell was milled out.

How do I go about getting these metal shavings out? Last time I tried it, I ended up with tiny metal shards in my fingers.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Fremry posted:

I think I want to clean the hell out of my WASR. Problem is that the inside of the receiver has a lot of very fine metal shavings from where the magwell was milled out.

How do I go about getting these metal shavings out? Last time I tried it, I ended up with tiny metal shards in my fingers.

If hosing it down with some sort of liquid/aerosol and rags aren't working, maybe try a strong magnet.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. At least I'm not missing something obvious. Thanks for giving it a shot(!), anyway.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Fremry posted:

Hose it with WD40 or CLP (something aerosol that will not damage it and will come off when it's time to oil it), then hit the remainder with Qtips. I use so many Qtips when I clean my guns, it's not even funny.

Fremry posted:

I actually put the BLO on in March, and it's still a sticky mess.

Jesus. Wow. It really does get humid there.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Qtips are the best for cleaning guns. You gotta buy the cheap ones, so they dont shed cotton all the gently caress over your guns. The good ones are too fluffy.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I'm thinking of getting this for my basement. Any know how well they work?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=744831

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

TheReverend posted:

I'm thinking of getting this for my basement. Any know how well they work?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=744831

It works, mostly. With high velocity .22lr there is some lead spatter that leaves the trap. Also, I did not like the noise of the bullet striking the trap so instead I use a paper supermarket bag packed tight with newspaper, with the metal trap placed behind it as a backup.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

What episode was that and who tried to grease themselves? I love, love, love The Wire and I don't remember that at all.

But as has been said, a .44 will kill you. A cop buddy's first fatality call he ever responded to was a guy who offed himself with a TFR approved Glock 17. He shot himself in the heart and died in the chair he shot himself in.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Eat This Glob posted:

What episode was that and who tried to grease themselves? I love, love, love The Wire and I don't remember that at all.

But as has been said, a .44 will kill you. A cop buddy's first fatality call he ever responded to was a guy who offed himself with a TFR approved Glock 17. He shot himself in the heart and died in the chair he shot himself in.

Basically any centerfire round powerful enough to penetrate your skin and pectoral/costal muscles will kill you if hit square in the chest. There is just way too much valuable poo poo in that neighborhood for it to pass through-and-through cleanly.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Basically any centerfire round powerful enough to penetrate your skin and pectoral/costal muscles will kill you if hit square in the chest. There is just way too much valuable poo poo in that neighborhood for it to pass through-and-through cleanly.

I'd hope so. I carry a 9mm. I obviously don't know what the U.S. Army and Federal Government doesn't WANT me to know :ohdear:.

It was just an excuse to share an anecdote.

Disco Fitz
Feb 16, 2006

Isn't life already in 3-D?

Just got my PAL (:canada:) a few months ago so I'm still a bit new to firearms, but I was just given this rifle for work up north and I'm wondering if anybody knows what it is or anything about it. I've never used a rifle with this kind of bolt on it before. It's got 30-30 Winchester on the barrel, and made in Switzerland. I'm curious to know more about it and what the deal is with this action. Here are some pics:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

That is a K11 rebarreled to 30-30? 7.5 Swiss is supposed to be VERY close to .308, so are you sure its a different barrel? i can't tell from pics

EDIT - the barrel does look really different. does it have 30 WCF stamped on the barrel?

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Roundboy posted:

That is a K11 rebarreled to 30-30? 7.5 Swiss is supposed to be VERY close to .308, so are you sure its a different barrel? i can't tell from pics

EDIT - the barrel does look really different. does it have 30 WCF stamped on the barrel?

This isn't that uncommon. The president of my Swiss Rifle Club has a bunch of K11s in .30-30. Maybe it's more popular up here in Canada.

Disco Fitz
Feb 16, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Yep it does, here's a better image of the data stamp

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Disco Fitz posted:

Yep it does, here's a better image of the data stamp

Did it not come with a magazine?

But as other folks said, yes it's a Swiss K11. The Swiss have been using super-fun straight-pull bolt-action rifles since like 1889 or something. You can find some more info about your rifle here: http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/index.html and in the Milsurp Megathread.

People in the milsurp thread will probably cry over the sporterization of the rifle (like me, I am a milsurp fag), but they'll be able to tell you more about it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

The research I read tends to read the rifles are pretty rare (30-30 k11), but i wonder if 'rare' in this case means only because not many people did that.

its a great rifle, but I have only shot it using GP11 (7.5 Swiss)

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Has anyone played with a Mateba carbine? They seem to be more available than the pistol version.

Disco Fitz
Feb 16, 2006

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Did it not come with a magazine?

But as other folks said, yes it's a Swiss K11. The Swiss have been using super-fun straight-pull bolt-action rifles since like 1889 or something. You can find some more info about your rifle here: http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/index.html and in the Milsurp Megathread.

People in the milsurp thread will probably cry over the sporterization of the rifle (like me, I am a milsurp fag), but they'll be able to tell you more about it.

Hah, unfortunately no the magazine is missing. This is up in Nunavik (Arctic Quebec) so I guess they do not have a lot of equipment available.

Thanks a lot for the info guys, seems like a pretty neat rifle.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

Anyone check out that Larry Vickers show Tactical Arms on The sportsman channel? They just did a very intuitive and detailed assessment between submachine guns of WWII. For all I know it's been on the air for years but I just saw it and it's p good.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

jacert posted:

Anyone check out that Larry Vickers show Tactical Arms on The sportsman channel? They just did a very intuitive and detailed assessment between submachine guns of WWII. For all I know it's been on the air for years but I just saw it and it's p good.

He had another show, Tactical Impact. I've seen clips here and there and it looks pretty good. Unfortunately, I don't get that channel on my basic cable :(

Pretty much anything Vickers does can be trusted, as he doesn't really put his name on things unless they're quality.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

jacert posted:

Quality varies. Some shows are informative, some are kinda boring, occasionally they'll overhype one thing or another. Never gets outright bad, though - it's just that some episodes are more worthy of fast-forwarding through than others.

Bunch of clips from his shows on his YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/VickersTacticalInc

Seeing as most firearm-related shows tend towards either the awful or consistently boring, this puts them up near the top of the list. At least with Tactical Arms (and Tactical Impact) you never have to worry about Massad Ayoob telling you how you're in serious danger of severe groin injuries if you walk down the street too close to the curb.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

I only saw the one episode (WWII SMG'S) and it was obviously more oriented towards people more interested in the mechanics of the weapons than just the history of the weapons (like History Chan might do). Although they covered the history just as eloquently.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Sheeeeeeiiittttt
like been said before, its all about shot placement and not caliber..

(Plus I like telling my supervisors and managers, Sheeeeeeeiiiitttt when presented with a difficult situation)

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Go/no go, Mateba Grifone carbine in .357, $1200?

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I just bought an GSG-92 airgun (foregin gun laws!) and I was wondering: does dry-firing it too much (without the CO2) and cocking it all the time without anything actually loading/firing will damage it?

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Eat This Glob posted:

it's an anecdote McNulty tells Kima about Omar's brother, "No Heart" Anthony Little.

don't remember the episode or season off the top of my head, however.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

I like turtles posted:

Go/no go, Mateba Grifone carbine in .357, $1200?

Not bad deal I guess. A mateba of any sort is p. cool imo.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Splash Damage posted:

I just bought an GSG-92 airgun (foregin gun laws!) and I was wondering: does dry-firing it too much (without the CO2) and cocking it all the time without anything actually loading/firing will damage it?

I have a couple of co2 airsoft guns, not that specific model but I never had any problems dry firing them with or without co2.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

That's reassuring. I'm gonna have to start teaching myself how to bullet time dive now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

janklow posted:

it's an anecdote McNulty tells Kima about Omar's brother, "No Heart" Anthony Little.

don't remember the episode or season off the top of my head, however.

I don't remember that at all. Good excuse to plant my rear end on the couch all weekend and watch a couple seasons with my tacti-cat who is named Omar Little.