Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

Armed Goons, a question for thee. The wife and I want to add a handgun to our small family, to be used both as something fun to shoot at a local range, and to also defend our home from external attack. The problem is, what line of pistols should I be looking at that a petite, 4'11", 95 lbs. Thai chick could reasonably handle?

This is my wife, I'm talking about, not me. Her wrists are so small that I can wrap my giant sausage-fingered hands completely them, so it need not be a hand-cannon capable of taking a wall out of my house. It needs to not have the kick of a mule, either. At the same time, I'd rather not get a .22 that a meth-fiend would shrug off as if bitten by a mosquito.

Point me in the right direction, please sirs. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Diseased Yak posted:

Armed Goons, a question for thee. The wife and I want to add a handgun to our small family, to be used both as something fun to shoot at a local range, and to also defend our home from external attack. The problem is, what line of pistols should I be looking at that a petite, 4'11", 95 lbs. Thai chick could reasonably handle?

This is my wife, I'm talking about, not me. Her wrists are so small that I can wrap my giant sausage-fingered hands completely them, so it need not be a hand-cannon capable of taking a wall out of my house. It needs to not have the kick of a mule, either. At the same time, I'd rather not get a .22 that a meth-fiend would shrug off as if bitten by a mosquito.

Point me in the right direction, please sirs. Thanks!

Have her shoot everything you can find. If you have a place that rents guns go there, rent as many things as you can. You very well may be surprised by what she can handle, and even what she prefers.

See if you can shoot an S&W L Frame or a Ruger GP100 with both .38 and .357. They are a good size, and the recoil with .357 isn't bad, but with .38 its almost nothing especially with rubber grips.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Diseased Yak posted:

Her wrists are so small that I can wrap my giant sausage-fingered hands completely them, so it need not be a hand-cannon capable of taking a wall out of my house.
Big, heavy guns seem like they should be more powerful but you should keep in mind that a bigger, heavier gun always recoils softer than a small gun in the same caliber. Too many tiny women get recommended tiny guns that are really unpleasant to shoot.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

Awesome, thanks! I wasn't aware of the bigger guns -> lower recoil thing (I realize that might not always be true). Good call on the renting range, too. I live in central Arkansas, so surely some hillbilly around here has such a range, perhaps even with live fire against captured and staked varmints.

I'll do some research, call around to a few places, then get a gun in her hands to fire, while I stand nearby, nodding sagely whilst stroking my chin, all the while thinking how sexy she looks firing a gun.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Glock 19. There are videos of an 11 year old girl wielding one effectively. Your wife can handle it.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Diseased Yak posted:

Awesome, thanks! I wasn't aware of the bigger guns -> lower recoil thing (I realize that might not always be true). Good call on the renting range, too. I live in central Arkansas, so surely some hillbilly around here has such a range, perhaps even with live fire against captured and staked varmints.

I'll do some research, call around to a few places, then get a gun in her hands to fire, while I stand nearby, nodding sagely whilst stroking my chin, all the while thinking how sexy she looks firing a gun.

Felt recoil can be affected by a lot of things.

First off you have bullet size and velocity. A big, slow firing bullet (like .45acp) can feel similar to a small fast firing bullet (like 9mm). The amount of energy that is moving that gun in your hands is pretty much the same.

Then you have the gun itself. Revolvers are pretty easy for understanding felt recoil. If the gun is bigger, and heavier, you feel less recoil as it has more mass to be moved by the bullet. Squishy rubber grips can also absorb some of that energy.

With a semi-automatic some of that energy is used to work the action, which can reduce the felt recoil, depending on the design.

Then, we have the fun bit about how the recoil "feels". This is kind of subjective, but basically the higher velocity rounds feel more "snappy". If you get a chance to shoot the same gun in .40 and .45 you will see what I mean. Both rounds perform similarly, but the .40 is smaller (so you can hold more rounds in a gun). To get that similarity in performance the .40 is shot at a higher velocity, so you feel the recoil more quickly. The .45acp is sometimes described as more "rolling" as you are shooting the big bullet a little more sedately.

I'm a big fan of recommending the GP100s or L-Frames for a home defense pistol because they have plenty of grip options (one of which should fit just about any hands). They are big enough to absorb .357 recoil nicely, or .38 if need be. They are also easy to practice with for extended periods of time (using something like a .38 wadcutter). And of course, as a gun that is sitting in a quick access safe or a drawer, size isn't a consideration (as it is with a carry gun).

They may only hold 6 bullets, but really, if you need more then 6 in a home defense situation and you can't reload with a speed loader, odds are no gun would have saved you.

Anyway, buy right and buy once. Make sure your wife is comfortable with the gun, and with shooting the gun before you buy it. A home defense gun is useless if the person who is supposed to use it to defend themselves is more afraid of the gun then they are of the intruder.

Sixgun Strumpet fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 8, 2010

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

He and his wife should go shooting with Mishaco, since they're in AR.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

The Automator posted:

Glock 19. There are videos of an 11 year old girl wielding one effectively. Your wife can handle it.

This.

Maybe Gen4 one, because of configurable grip option.

larrystorch
Aug 25, 2009

I like turtles posted:

He and his wife should go shooting with Mishaco, since they're in AR.

He's looking for a good handgun, not looking to be seduced by the glories of AK's and milsurp.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

AntiTank posted:

This.

Maybe Gen4 one, because of configurable grip option.

Wait that grip is configurable? I didn't like the Gen 4 it because the finger grooves bit into my fingers.

For the feeling of the least recoil, get a semi auto full metal full frame weapon. If you are only using it for home defense, their is no concern of it being concealable. Something like a 1911 or CZ 75B would be great. Two of my tiny friends love the my 1911 over the Glocks and Sigs they have tried. Then again, one of them loves shooting the shotgun now that she doesn't hurt her shoulder from it all the time. (5'3" 110lbs Asian descent girl). The other is a 5'0" 100lbs Ukranian.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

I'm a big fan of recommending the GP100s or L-Frames for a home defense pistol because they have plenty of grip options (one of which should fit just about any hands). They are big enough to absorb .357 recoil nicely, or .38 if need be. They are also easy to practice with for extended periods of time (using something like a .38 wadcutter). And of course, as a gun that is sitting in a quick access safe or a drawer, size isn't a consideration (as it is with a carry gun).

They may only hold 6 bullets, but really, if you need more then 6 in a home defense situation and you can't reload with a speed loader, odds are no gun would have saved you.

Anyway, buy right and buy once. Make sure your wife is comfortable with the gun, and with shooting the gun before you buy it. A home defense gun is useless if the person who is supposed to use it to defend themselves is more afraid of the gun then they are of the intruder.

I just wanted to add that Smith and Wesson have a very nice Model 627 in stainless that has 8 rounds instead of 6, it's built on an N-frame and weighs in at 42 ounces, which nicely tames .38 and .357 magnum.
ed: here's a description
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/ProductPR/Model%20627.pdf

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 8, 2010

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

HFX posted:

Wait that grip is configurable? I didn't like the Gen 4 it because the finger grooves bit into my fingers.

For the feeling of the least recoil, get a semi auto full metal full frame weapon. If you are only using it for home defense, their is no concern of it being concealable. Something like a 1911 or CZ 75B would be great. Two of my tiny friends love the my 1911 over the Glocks and Sigs they have tried. Then again, one of them loves shooting the shotgun now that she doesn't hurt her shoulder from it all the time. (5'3" 110lbs Asian descent girl). The other is a 5'0" 100lbs Ukranian.

Everyone loves a nice trigger, single stack 1911 I have found. The cz 75b I would not recommend to someone with really tiny hands unless you make sure you buy a safety equipped one as the trigger pull in decocked DA mode can be a bit long for them unless they practice with it a lot.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

everyone shut up

get a glock 19

king of the bongo posted:

Everyone loves a nice trigger, single stack 1911 I have found. The cz 75b I would not recommend to someone with really tiny hands unless you make sure you buy a safety equipped one as the trigger pull in decocked DA mode can be a bit long for them unless they practice with it a lot.

email me back homie

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I just wanted to add that Smith and Wesson have a very nice Model 627 in stainless that has 8 rounds instead of 6, it's built on an N-frame and weighs in at 42 ounces, which nicely tames .38 and .357 magnum.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/ProductPR/Model%20627.pdf

Oooh, that's pretty nifty.

While the GP100 trigger is pretty good, I must still admit that the S&W is still better. For a woman with (possible) weak grip strength this would be the superior choice.

At least until Ruger gets with the program and applies their LCR trigger voodoo to a new run of GP100s and SP101s.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

My fathers beliefs have been instilled in me since my mother got her CCW almost 15 years ago. He always told me "I don't want your mother to have to worry or deal with slides or magazines. I want her to just be able to pull and shoot." Not saying a small glock wouldn't do the same but I really do see his reasoning with a small petite woman. She can hardly operate a slide release without putting a lot of effort into it.

Which is why she has carried a Ruger SP101. I recommend a nice revolver. Also if she is going to carry in her purse I recommend you get a Ruger SP101 witout the hammer. Because after a year or so it ripped her purse apart so my dad ground and cut that bitch down. But Ruger sells them like that now.

Chicago Death Rate fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 9, 2010

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Holy hell stop recommending an N frame for someone with small hands.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

bunnielab posted:

Dude my mom and im guessing a lot of women cant even reach the slide release on a glock.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

jacert posted:

Dude my mom and im guessing a lot of women cant even reach the slide release on a glock.

In what self defense situation will you ever use the slide release? Even if you empty the mag and lock it back, when you slam the fresh magazine in it will most likely drop by itself if not just pull it back a bit.

e: check the failure drill at ten seconds in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2rKj4eZgo
Your dad had some really sexist views on a woman's ability to shoot and operate guns.

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 9, 2010

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

I am looking for an inexpensive .22-250 or similar caliber rifle, bolt action, synthetic stock. This is to be used for some long-distance snapping turtle destruction.

Those fuckers decimated the wood duck population this year

I am thinking Savage Edge .22-250. Goes for about $300 retail.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

bunnielab posted:

The grip isn't the big part of the gun. Throw a pair of Magnas on there (or even a T-grip adapter) and it's still not going to be as fat around the grip as even a Glock.

Now, if you have the iconic Coke bottle grips on there, well, that's another story.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

I am looking for an inexpensive .22-250 or similar caliber rifle, bolt action, synthetic stock. This is to be used for some long-distance snapping turtle destruction.

Those fuckers decimated the wood duck population this year

I am thinking Savage Edge .22-250. Goes for about $300 retail.

I don't know how resilient snapping turtles are, but a Savage 93R17 in .17HMR can be had for like $260 with a "decent" scope http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24146

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

charliebravo77 posted:

I don't know how resilient snapping turtles are, but a Savage 93R17 in .17HMR can be had for like $260 with a "decent" scope http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24146

According to wikipedia, and conjecture I've heard as a kid:

quote:

According to an episode of "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel, there are reports of living Alligator Snapping turtles with musket balls from the American Civil War lodged in them.

Were gonna need a bigger boat.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

jacert posted:

Were gonna need a bigger boat.

.338 Lapua

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

charliebravo77 posted:

~~~ ADIRONDACK LIFE ~~~~

They have thick, tough shells that get even thicker and tougher with age. Even their undersides are big and leathery. They are the modern cousins of dinosaurs, and they have even shrugged off a direct shot between the eyes with a .22LR.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Information on snapping turtles, including how to make soup from them. I've had it a long time ago, it was an interesting taste. My uncle told me that whenever his parents saw a snapper on their farm, it was caught, killed, cleaned and made into soup.
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/story?columnist=sutton_keith&page=g_col_Sutton_turtle-recipes

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I think the biggest question is why do you need to shoot a turtle. Can't you just run up to them with a large net? Are these the speedy gonzales of the turtle world?

(I'm kidding, I imagine they can dash into water and are probably mean as hell up close)

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

"I need a gun for turtles!" is the new "I convinced my wife we need a new <insert fun pistol here> for snake defense!"

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Why would you want to shoot turtles

Ruger GP100 used. $450. Yes or no.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

I think ducks are neat, aside from the whole rape thing, but don't shoot snapping turtles. They are far superior.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Watching the nice little chain of wood ducks following mom and dad wood duck get shorter as these ugly motherfuckers get full makes me <>

Yes, I know it's the natural order of things. But the natural order of things was upset many years ago when people started buying private homes in the park.

Dragging a pond acres in size with a net, okay. But then what happens when I catch it? Yell at it really hard and hope it has a heart attack? They will gently caress your world up.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

drat. Any idea what the MSRP on that is? And it's too bad it doesn't have just a hair longer barrel - if it was 4.5 inches I could take it to Canada and shoot IPSC with it. I could totally dominate revolver class.

Of course, I'd be the only one shooting a revolver.

Edit: Well, they do make a 5" Performance Center 627, but MSRP is like $1400.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 9, 2010

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Dragging a pond acres in size with a net, okay. But then what happens when I catch it? Yell at it really hard and hope it has a heart attack? They will gently caress your world up.

Shooting turtles is always the right answer. Our property in West Texas has a creek full of turtles. There are tons of them and now there are a ton of little ones. I usually dispatch them with my Henry .22 lever action or my marlin .17hmr. Although I imagine that wouldn't work with a snapping turtle.

Here is the hunting grounds.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Oddly enough I had a person bring me a snapper at work today. I released it into the wild.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Information on snapping turtles, including how to make soup from them. I've had it a long time ago, it was an interesting taste. My uncle told me that whenever his parents saw a snapper on their farm, it was caught, killed, cleaned and made into soup.
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/story?columnist=sutton_keith&page=g_col_Sutton_turtle-recipes

Oh so basically your Uncle's parents were horrifically redneck.

That said if you ain't shooting it to eat it, don't loving shoot it.

Sgt. Shaved Balls fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 9, 2010

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Aperture Priority posted:

Why would you want to shoot turtles

Ya you can't eat turtles. Look at him, he's not kosher.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

That said if you ain't shooting it to eat it, don't loving shoot it.

What about if you are shooting them to deal with an artificially large population?

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Atticus_1354 posted:

What about if you are shooting them to deal with an artificially large population?

Eat it anyway.

Especially if it's coyote.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Depends. I got a 6" blued with adjustable sights lightly used for $390.
Turtles need armor piercing rounds, obviously.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Nah, offer $380 or something.

Wait, Cali, right? Hm maybe.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Atticus_1354 posted:

Unless you're Ranger Rick you should stop looking for an excuse to shoot a living thing and use paper like normal people.

Also eat it anyway.

I swear that some of you guys are like ARFCOM when it comes to looking for something to shoot. It's almost like you hope some random animal will need shooting, like ARFCOM hopes black people will start doing human wave attacks in the middle of white suburbia.

"OH GOD THE AFRICAN SNOUTNOSED TURTLE IS OVERPOPULATED! I BETTER GO SHOOT THEM TO KEEP THEM FROM KILLING MY CATTLE!!"

"DON'T WORRY THESE WOMBATS ARE OVERPOPULATED!"

Sgt. Shaved Balls fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Unless you're Ranger Rick you should stop looking for an excuse to shoot a living thing and use paper like normal people.

Also eat it anyway.

Considering private property means that I am pretty much the ranger I will take that to mean you approve. Also, if I got my rocks off on killing animals I would probably shoot all the axis deer around here instead of the drat turtles. And it is my fish I am worried about.