Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Atticus_1354 posted:

Considering private property means that I am pretty much the ranger I will take that to mean you approve. Also, if I got my rocks off on killing animals I would probably shoot all the axis deer around here instead of the drat turtles. And it is my fish I am worried about.

Axis or excess...

Because if it's the former....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Yeah gently caress those nazi deer man

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

walrusman posted:

Yeah gently caress those nazi deer man

The White Tails have begun cleansing the undesirables(Mule Deer).

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Axis or excess...

Because if it's the former....

Axis. They are darker than whitetails and keep their spots for life. They are considered invasive and can be hunted year round. Most property owners that hunt dislike them because they compete with the whitetails for habitat. I personally like them and leave them alone.

Thepossiblelight
Jul 2, 2007
shut up.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm feeling decidedly uncomfortable about the direction this thread is going

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Listen to your avatar.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Axis deer you say?

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

jacert posted:

Dude my mom and im guessing a lot of women cant even reach the slide release on a glock.

It's called "slide stop".

You release the slide by pulling it back and letting it go.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

infrared35 posted:

drat. Any idea what the MSRP on that is? And it's too bad it doesn't have just a hair longer barrel - if it was 4.5 inches I could take it to Canada and shoot IPSC with it. I could totally dominate revolver class.

Of course, I'd be the only one shooting a revolver.

Edit: Well, they do make a 5" Performance Center 627, but MSRP is like $1400.

I got my 627 in April during a sale at an LGS, I seem to recall that it was in the $800's region. Later I saw one at Bud's and it was slightly cheaper, (the price has come down, they're $805 at Buds this am) so I kinda lost out a little. It was less painful than one would think since there were none in stock, so I put down 50% and paid the rest a couple of paydays later.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/31/products_id/52370

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 9, 2010

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

I used to "hunt" snapping turtles. There were some rednecks that paid handsomely for the stupid things, and luckily I didn't get my johnson bitten off in the process. An 11 year old with no dick but a $20 bounty on snapping turle would be a sad sight.

Long story short, if it's hot they're in the water and the water is pretty murky. So you'll have to do what I did: walk around with a stick, probing the bottom of the pond until you feel a turtle shell. Then you have to pull the fucker out of the muck. To do this, you need to blindly reach down and grab the stupid thing. Hopefully you don't grab where the snapping part is. I never did, luckily. Then you have to get it shore. Then you get it to bite at something and club it in the loving head. Then you get $10 a turtle if it's a decent size from your friendly neighborhood redneck for this delicacy.

Unless you set up a sweet FLIR scope on your rifle and go out at night or in the wee hours of the morning, I don't really see snapping turtles sunning themselves this time of year.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

Unless you set up a sweet FLIR scope on your rifle and go out at night or in the wee hours of the morning, I don't really see snapping turtles sunning themselves this time of year.

Aren't turtles cold blooded, meaning that they would be the same temperature as the water they are in, making a FLIR scope useless?

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Fremry posted:

Aren't turtles cold blooded, meaning that they would be the same temperature as the water they are in, making a FLIR scope useless?

Maybe they don't show up on infrared at all?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well they're covered in mud and we all know that defeats all IR technology.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

IT'S COMIN' RIGHT FOR US!

Actual question:
Has anyone here flown commercially with a firearm? In checked baggage, obviously. How has it worked out for you?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

thermobollocks posted:

IT'S COMIN' RIGHT FOR US!

Actual question:
Has anyone here flown commercially with a firearm? In checked baggage, obviously. How has it worked out for you?

It was very easy. Used a plastic case with padlocks. I walked up to the TSA counter, told them I'd like to check a firearm. They had me unlock the case, show them it was unloaded. They tagged it, took it, and I got it back when I got to my destination.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

From what I hear, some companies are bad, specifically southwest.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The Automator posted:

It was very easy. Used a plastic case with padlocks. I walked up to the TSA counter, told them I'd like to check a firearm. They had me unlock the case, show them it was unloaded. They tagged it, took it, and I got it back when I got to my destination.

This. It's not bad at most places. They've done it hundreds of times before. Obviously it must be unloaded and in a hard case, and any ammo has to be in factory (or similar) packaging. If it's a handgun, you can have the handgun's hard case inside a larger case or bag.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Also it could just walk off with little chance of being recovered.

See: Philly airport and LAX

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

If you know someone at your destination, you can ship the gun to yourself at their place. Just make sure they don't open it.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Does anyone have a link to a good guide for photographing their guns? I have seen some amazing photography in here and I would like to be able to take some decent pictures as well. I know a lot of people use those homemade photo booth things (I think they are made of posterboard or something?) but I would love to see the specifics and any other tips to make the photos come out better.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

thermobollocks posted:

Fremry posted:

From what I hear, some companies are bad, specifically southwest.

I flew with Southwest the last time I flew with a pistol. It was easy as hell. I put the locked pistol case inside my larger luggage suitcase.

no one ever knew it was there

(Meaning, I told the airline rep I was flying with a gun. I unlocked the case, proved the pistol clear, filled out a tiny form, put the gun and form back in the case, locked it up, put the case in the luggage, handed the luggage over, and went on my merry way)

Roundboy posted:

See: Philly airport and LAX

I guess I got pretty lucky flying back to PHL

oh poo poo more words:

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good guide for photographing their guns? I have seen some amazing photography in here and I would like to be able to take some decent pictures as well. I know a lot of people use those homemade photo booth things (I think they are made of posterboard or something?) but I would love to see the specifics and any other tips to make the photos come out better.

I want to help!

Here's a link on how to make your own light tent, and another link to make your own lightbox. I have no other tips other than don't use the built-in flash on your point-n-shoot.

SadWhaleFamily fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 9, 2010

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

What should I look for in choosing an FFL delivery location? Prices, local taxes, etc.? So far I've been quoted anywhere from $20 and state sales tax to $100 and no sales tax, which doesn't even seem legal. I'm in WA state.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

thermobollocks posted:

Actual question:
This link has tons of info http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/ They also rate all the major airlines as to ease of flying with firearms.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

So, flying with guns, it would be super easy to hide a bunch of smack inside the gun case, right? Like the TSA tagging should prevent any further inspection, right?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bunnielab posted:

So, flying with guns, it would be super easy to hide a bunch of smack inside the gun case, right? Like the TSA tagging should prevent any further inspection, right?

The only people who are supposed to know there is a gun on the flight is you and the TSA/airline person you show it to on check-in. Nothing on the case is supposed to say "GUN IN HERE" or anything like that. In fact, doing that would be against the law last time I checked.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

incredibull posted:

What should I look for in choosing an FFL delivery location? Prices, local taxes, etc.? So far I've been quoted anywhere from $20 and state sales tax to $100 and no sales tax, which doesn't even seem legal. I'm in WA state.

I personally looked for prices and distance - I'm in Spokane, and I could have gotten like $15 FFL fee... by driving to Wenatchee.

Another consideration is hours of operation - I'm an 8-5 full-time schlub, so I had to find one that I could get to after work and all.

As for sales tax, last I heard was that you (as the buyer) were supposed to fill out the form and send in the tax payment yourself; the only places I see charging sales tax, last time I looked at the Gunbroker list, were gun shops/storefront operations.

There's a list of FFLs at Gunbroker (which I can access at the moment or I'd add the URL), just search by zipcode & distance, then choose what feels like the best deal to you. You might also check around, to see if it turns out that "Honest Achmed's Low Low FFL Service" is a guy that receives the gun, then sells it some Canadian gangbanger or something.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

When handgun ammunition states that it is 115 grains, is that the bullet weight or the powder amount?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Boner Wad posted:

When handgun ammunition states that it is 115 grains, is that the bullet weight or the powder amount?

Bullet weight. It would be nice to have the stats on the powder too though...

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SadWhaleFamily posted:

lighting tips, and don't use the built-in flash on your point-n-shoot.
This, along with
  • Use a tripod (since turning off the flash on a p&s usually disables auto-focus)
  • Use a tripod
  • A tripod, use it
  • Use the self-timer (to keep your hand from jiggling the camera)
  • Set the white balance settings on your camera to match the lighting you're using (daylight/cloudy, tungsten/fluorescent, etc)

can get you some pretty decent photos, even with a not-fancy camera.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Will my Colt SP1 handle Wolf .223 ok? I want this thing to be one of my main rifles when I'm in the US and I need to know if it can shoot the cheapest ammo.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

How big a sperglord am I if I angrily edited an imfdb entry today, at the cost of being late to dinner with my wife?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

infrared35 posted:

How big a sperglord am I if I angrily edited an imfdb entry today, at the cost of being late to dinner with my wife?

You're a pretty standard goon.

Sorry.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

What was the entry?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Detective Thompson posted:

What was the entry?

I'm not saying. I don't want you fuckers changing it back. Because it was WRONG.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Come on, don't make me look through all the recently changed entries.

Give me a hint.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 10, 2010

Hydrogen_3
Jun 6, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

I personally looked for prices and distance - I'm in Spokane, and I could have gotten like $15 FFL fee... by driving to Wenatchee.

Another consideration is hours of operation - I'm an 8-5 full-time schlub, so I had to find one that I could get to after work and all.

As for sales tax, last I heard was that you (as the buyer) were supposed to fill out the form and send in the tax payment yourself; the only places I see charging sales tax, last time I looked at the Gunbroker list, were gun shops/storefront operations.

There's a list of FFLs at Gunbroker (which I can access at the moment or I'd add the URL), just search by zipcode & distance, then choose what feels like the best deal to you. You might also check around, to see if it turns out that "Honest Achmed's Low Low FFL Service" is a guy that receives the gun, then sells it some Canadian gangbanger or something.

I just got a gun through West Coast Armory in Issaquah, the fee was ~$30 and they charged me the sales tax on the spot. Also, they let me walk away with it that day with my CPL.

I chose the place because the price was reasonable, it wasn't just some schmuck off the street, and it was about 10 min from my house.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

The Architect posted:

Will my Colt SP1 handle Wolf .223 ok? I want this thing to be one of my main rifles when I'm in the US and I need to know if it can shoot the cheapest ammo.

As long as it's 55 grain, it should work fine. The SP1 I have is a 1:12 twist barrel and won't shoot heavier bullets for poo poo. I'm assuming yours will be the same.

I fed mine some lovely Russian lacquered ammo (SAPSAN if I recall) and got a case stuck in the chamber, but it came out, and the rifle is just fine. If you're shooting new Wolf with the polymer coating, you should be just fine. Just clean the chamber out when you're done (steel cases are known not to expand as much as brass, so they don't fully seal up the chamber, so you'll probably get more carbon fouling in the chamber).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Catdonkey posted:

I just got a gun through West Coast Armory in Issaquah, the fee was ~$30 and they charged me the sales tax on the spot. Also, they let me walk away with it that day with my CPL.

I chose the place because the price was reasonable, it wasn't just some schmuck off the street, and it was about 10 min from my house.

Gun stores are not allowed to charge tax on anything they didn't directly sell to you. They didn't buy it, it didn't come from their inventory, so they have no reason to collect a tax. All they did was transfer it.

Unless he is collecting sales tax on the transfer itself. Or just 'collecting' the sales tax for the state it came from, which he will forward to them later (sure)

but I admit that some states have a very weird tax code.