Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thepossiblelight posted:

Your wish, sahib.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415036
:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

WimpBastard posted:

Thanks. That XL7 looks like a good deal. I think I'd rather spend the money saved on the scope rather than a brand name.

Also thanks gimpsuit, might end up with a different calibre.

I wouldn't buy a Marlin. They're a budget-rear end gun and when you get more money you'll want to upgrade whatever you buy, get a nicer stock etc because all the entry-level rifles come with awful plastic stocks.

Noone makes aftermarket for a Marlin because they're a fairly new budget rifle

Better off buying a Howa or a Remington or a Savage

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

What's the general consensus on Kahr pistols. I saw a used MK9 at the local gunshop for under 500 bucks (I think it was like $449) that an old man had traded in for an LCP because it was "too heavy" for him, and it had a very nice trigger pull and it really tempting me as a "if I ever get a CCW permit, this would work well" sort of pistol.

Are they generally reliable? This thing seems small enough to be fairly concealable...though it only had the extended mag in it (I'd have to get a flush fit mag...but that shouldn't be too hard).

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Vorlonesque posted:

What's the general consensus on Kahr pistols. I saw a used MK9 at the local gunshop for under 500 bucks (I think it was like $449) that an old man had traded in for an LCP because it was "too heavy" for him, and it had a very nice trigger pull and it really tempting me as a "if I ever get a CCW permit, this would work well" sort of pistol.

Are they generally reliable? This thing seems small enough to be fairly concealable...though it only had the extended mag in it (I'd have to get a flush fit mag...but that shouldn't be too hard).

They're supposed to be pretty nice, IIRC.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Quick! I need scotch recommendations! $40-60 a bottle is where I want to spend. Earthiness is a plus.

Thepossiblelight
Jul 2, 2007
shut up.

auchentosan

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Vorlonesque posted:

I was impressed enough with the Kahr when I shot it some 8 years ago, but at that time I really didn't know a whole lot about guns. Kuffs posted a pretty detailed box thread a while back and was somewhat unhappy with the rough amount of tooling inside of the gun for the price he paid, if I remember right.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

hangedman posted:

I was impressed enough with the Kahr when I shot it some 8 years ago, but at that time I really didn't know a whole lot about guns. Kuffs posted a pretty detailed box thread a while back and was somewhat unhappy with the rough amount of tooling inside of the gun for the price he paid, if I remember right.

I'm thinking that at the price for this one (~450)...it wouldn't be too bad (the guy at the gunshop told me he could give it to me for $430 when I last talked to him...I'd almost forgotten that). I'm very tempted...thats probably cheaper than what I'd spend on the new Sig 290 or whatever...and the thing felt very nice in my hand for something that small...and the trigger pull was very nice.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

hangedman posted:

It wasn't just the tooling, the whole design is bad.

Starting with that trigger pull you love so much: it's too long. If you put the pad or first knuckle of your finger on the trigger you'll have difficulty keeping it consistent. If you use more trigger finger you'll end up catching yourself in the web of your support hand.

The slide release is substantially larger than it needs to be and isn't dehorned. It catches on everything.

The feed mechanism is a hilarious combination of aggressive angles and large, highly-polished ramps.

I bought one of the poly variants and it was a goddamn travesty that it cost $100 more than a Glock.

Sig Sauer's poly pistols typically run in the high $400's, often with night sights. If the 290 is anything like the 250's, I think you'd be much happier.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

kuffs posted:

Sig Sauer's poly pistols typically run in the high $400's, often with night sights. If the 290 is anything like the 250's, I think you'd be much happier.

I think the P290 is debuting at around $700. If the P250 and 556 are any indicator, the price will probably go down over time once the hype wears off.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Does anyone know which height rings I need to mount an Aimpoint M3 clone to a sig 556/522 rifle? I don't have the rifle and optic with me or else I would measure. I think the low ones are the ones I want but will the low ring will give me enough clearance or do I need to get the medium ones?

Burris 30mm -Medium
Ring Height: 1/2" (measured from base of ring to bottom of scope tube)
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=276452

Burris 30mm -Low
Ring Height: 1/4" (measured from base of ring to bottom of scope tube)
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=265260

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

So anyone know how exactly my PSL pull this poo poo off?

Its the second time its done this and I have to field strip it to unjam it. Note the round thats halfway chambered with the rim of the fired casing stuck behind the jammed round.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Its the second time its done this and I have to field strip it to unjam it. Note the round thats halfway chambered with the rim of the fired casing stuck behind the jammed round.

Whats your bolt face/extractor look like? Also does it happen with multiple kinds of ammo? What ammo are you using? What is the meaning of life?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Maybe your ejector is sad.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

thermobollocks posted:

Maybe your ejector is sad.

I like that nomenclature. Next time i brake something i'm just going to say "X is sad, we have to buy a new one.".

Shedman
Apr 3, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Quick! I need scotch recommendations! $40-60 a bottle is where I want to spend. Earthiness is a plus.

Laphroig. It's the earthiest.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Any TFR goons living/lived in the Puget Sound region of Washington? I saw a job opening at Valve Software that looked good, and I was wondering if any of you fine Internet strangers like/hate the place.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Any TFR goons living/lived in the Puget Sound region of Washington? I saw a job opening at Valve Software that looked good, and I was wondering if any of you fine Internet strangers like/hate the place.

No. It's awful here. There's snow, and you can't shoot in that.

It can get misty a lot, and that's horrible weather for shooting:

There's trees and mountains and poo poo everywhere, making it all uniformly green and uninteresting, and totally unshootable.

Once, we saw the sun. It was terrifying and so we shot it with shotguns:

And there's just nowhere to shoot:

Really, it's a horrible, horrible place and we're all assholes.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes: it's the best place, with the best people.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

kuffs posted:

It wasn't just the tooling, the whole design is bad.

Starting with that trigger pull you love so much: it's too long. If you put the pad or first knuckle of your finger on the trigger you'll have difficulty keeping it consistent. If you use more trigger finger you'll end up catching yourself in the web of your support hand.

The slide release is substantially larger than it needs to be and isn't dehorned. It catches on everything.

The feed mechanism is a hilarious combination of aggressive angles and large, highly-polished ramps.

I bought one of the poly variants and it was a goddamn travesty that it cost $100 more than a Glock.

Did the Kahr seem to feed reliably?

The Sig 290's trigger weight is listed as being 9 lbs, which is pretty high (assuming Sig's numbers are correct and it isn't better than that)...that was kind of what turned me onto the pull in the Kahr when I felt it...it was a little long, but light. And the thing was nice and small (being a skinny gently caress, I couldn't manage to conceal a Glock anything in an IWB holster...they're too fat/bulky...hell it'd be pushing it to conceal my vz.82 that way)...and the Sig 290 looks to be nice and small too.

I just figured that if this was a reliable pistol I'd go that route. Being all stainless it has just enough weight that recoil shouldn't be an issue either even with something that small...but reliability and concealability are my two concerns and so I want to make sure it will feed and extract reliably.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They also dig giant dongs out of the mud and eat them:

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Vorlonesque posted:

The Sig 290's trigger weight is listed as being 9 lbs, which is pretty high (assuming Sig's numbers are correct and it isn't better than that)...that was kind of what turned me onto the pull in the Kahr when I felt it...it was a little long, but light. And the thing was nice and small (being a skinny gently caress, I couldn't manage to conceal a Glock anything in an IWB holster...they're too fat/bulky...hell it'd be pushing it to conceal my vz.82 that way)...and the Sig 290 looks to be nice and small too.

I just figured that if this was a reliable pistol I'd go that route. Being all stainless it has just enough weight that recoil shouldn't be an issue either even with something that small...but reliability and concealability are my two concerns and so I want to make sure it will feed and extract reliably.

I have a Kahr CW45. I paid about $400 for it and my only regret is that I bought it before I understood the true glory of revolvers. The gun has always functioned flawlessly for me. Well, except for that time I borked one of the springs putting it together wrong but they warn you about that in the manual now.

The loooooooong trigger pull is a bit strange, but if you can get past that mine is actually rather fun to shoot.

spankmeister posted:

Mmmmm gooey duck. The clam of legend.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Vorlonesque posted:

I am super loving skinny. I conceal a G19 IWB no problem.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Try shooting it with the dust cover off. Or just hand-cycling rounds through with the dust cover off and on repeatedly. My blinged out AK had issues similar to this, and it turned out that it was because the ejected rounds were bouncing off of the inside of the dust cover and back into the action. I think it might have been because the ejector blade was at a bad angle or something. Who knows. Fixed it with some dremel butchery on the dust cover.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

I spent a significant chunk of my early childhood in Anacortes (~3 to 8 years old). The place is loving gorgeous and I have rather vivid memories of neat stuff.

Neat stuff like watching bald eagles fish in the lake next to our house while standing in our back yard.

When we left my parents managed to pull a financial miracle out of their asses and were able to hang onto the house. They've been sitting on it for over 20 years, keeping it up as a rental property at break-even rates to keep property taxes at bay and ignoring offers from Seattle-area software developer assholes for multiple times what they paid it, just so they can go back there and retire back to that lake.

Just this past year they kicked the renters out and started making renovations to turn it from a rental property into someplace they want to live.

The fact that my father, a man so cheap he has welded hex nuts onto firearms rather than spend all of $20 on a replacement hammer, sat on a loving house on a lake an hour and a half from Seattle through the entirety of the dot com boom just so he could sit on a porch in his retirement and watch eagles fish.

If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about the area than you just don't deserve the Puget Sound.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

I hope you end up there so you have a nice job in American and finally get to own guns I can crash there.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

spankmeister posted:

Or,
You can eat a bag of Dick's. :rimshot:

(I think this came up at the shoot yesterday as being too obvious, maybe?)

Dicks makes pretty good burgers, pretty cheap. Think Inn n' out. Bring cash only. If you come up, warn some goons, and you'll get to see Dick's and a whole lot more!

That sounded wrong. Or did it?

Dr. Strangler
Jul 21, 2009

I 'snapped' and killed a bird and its baby purely because their chirping annoyed me. I got a buzz out of killing them both with one shot.

In other words, I have the mind of a serial killer.

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

That sounded wrong. Or did it?

So, so right.

I still haven't eaten at Dick's despite living within walking distance.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Good news: PNW is the best part of North America.
Bad news: There is none.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Gtab posted:

Good news: PNW is the best part of North America.
Bad news: There is none.

Bad news: I am leaving it :(

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

If you're going to take a software job on the west cost, you could do a lot worse than Seattle. Unless you really hate yourself, I guess.

Of course, with that said, everyone in silicon valley is hiring like crazy.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Vorlonesque posted:

I too am skinny. I carried a G19 without issue before the Kahr. I only changed because I wanted a standard grip angle and I only wnt Kahr because of the thinness. Truth be told, my Glock was easier to conceal, but the Kahr was slightly more comfortable on trips. (I had a TP9, so it was a half inch longer than the Glock) Get a good holster and belt and you can conceal nearly anything. Don't be afraid to adjust the cant and move the holster around your waistline to find a good spot.

As far as reliability goes; mine would eject the magazine when I limp-wristed. I also had difficulty getting it to feed from a closed slide on a full magazine, the stupid feed ramp interferes with the awful magazine. I don't remember if I ever practiced +1 at the range, so I can't be sure that was a real problem.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Ninja Rope posted:

If you're going to take a software job on the west cost, you could do a lot worse than Seattle. Unless you really hate yourself, I guess.

Of course, with that said, everyone in silicon valley is hiring like crazy.

I've lived in OR, WA, and CA, and I've spent significant time around both Seattle and the general "Silicon Valley" area.

I would no bullshit take a job in WA over a job in CA that paid twice as much for the exact same work, as long s the WA job was anything like a living wage (say. . . . $18k/yr minimum).

That's not even getting into gun poo poo either, just the respective states in general.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've lived in OR, WA, and CA, and I've spent significant time around both Seattle and the general "Silicon Valley" area.

I would no bullshit take a job in WA over a job in CA that paid twice as much for the exact same work, as long s the WA job was anything like a living wage (say. . . . $18k/yr minimum).

That's not even getting into gun poo poo either, just the respective states in general.

18k is a living wage in WA? That seems.... a bit low. If you ignore the gun culture CA at least has a little something we call the "sun".

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The sun gives you cancer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So does the rest of California.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So does the rest of California.

California is actually atop the world's largest cancer mine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

18k is a living wage in WA? That seems.... a bit low. If you ignore the gun culture CA at least has a little something we call the "sun".

Well, a living wage for a single male with no dependents and no medical expenses. I was just looking for a good "put a roof over your head and food in your belly" figure.

Basically, what I was getting at is that I'd rather live off a barely-student-income-level budget in WA than live like someone with a real (albeit not the greatest compensated) job in CA.

Also, from personal experience, $18k would go a gently caress load further in just about all parts of WA than it would in anyplace in CA that you would actually want to live in (should one be forced into moving to CA at all).

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus

Yams Fan

LingcodKilla posted:

If you ignore the gun culture CA at least has a little something we call the "sun".

So that's two strikes against it then.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Giant Isopod posted:

So that's two strikes against it then.

Can't have any fun with cars, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Shedman posted:

Laphroig. It's the earthiest.

That's an understatement. Laphroaig is like is like drinking the remains of peat that was lit on fire. It's the closest thing you will ever drink to tasting just like a campfire in your mouth.