Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Roundboy posted:

Gun stores are not allowed to charge tax on anything they didn't directly sell to you. They didn't buy it, it didn't come from their inventory, so they have no reason to collect a tax. All they did was transfer it.

The one FFL I've asked about it (Colorado) is of the opinion that it's a murky area and he doesn't feel like dealing with it, so just keep quiet about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

infrared35 posted:

How big a sperglord am I if I angrily edited an imfdb entry today, at the cost of being late to dinner with my wife?

http://xkcd.com/386/

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Naramyth posted:

http://xkcd.com/386/

My wife doesn't understand how important it is. Someone's got to do this. Someone has to make sure movie firearms aren't being blatantly misidentified on an informational web site.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

thermobollocks posted:

The one FFL I've asked about it (Colorado) is of the opinion that it's a murky area and he doesn't feel like dealing with it, so just keep quiet about it.

And does he have bass with $$ all own filled with ash and a note telling which state it goes to?

I mean, all it takes is a quick phone call to the state and asking a direct question. Know anyone at the state tax board or IRS that can verify they are in fact sending this taxes out?

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Roundboy posted:

And does he have bass with $$ all own filled with ash and a note telling which state it goes to?

I have no loving clue what this sentence actually means.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Roundboy posted:

I mean, all it takes is a quick phone call to the state and asking a direct question. Know anyone at the state tax board or IRS that can verify they are in fact sending this taxes out?

I swear this is a bot. Are SA accounts being bothacked, and if so, to what purpose?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Probably an imperfect AI trying to acquire a robot/gun body.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Greetings, I am looking for a local FFL with easy access to high amperage conditioned power, please respond quickly.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I mentioned this in the pictures thread, then figured out I could come here and maybe get an answer:

When I fired my grandfather's Anschutz .22LR rifle the kick was WAY less (barely noticeable) than my airgun at the time (a cheap Chinese piece of poo poo) when the .22LR round is at least 10x the energy. I THINK the .22LR was one of these, with a moderator on it. The airgun was a .22 break-barrel SMK B2. Why would the kick be so much smaller on something which likely was in excess of 120ft/lbs energy than on something which was probably under 10ft/lbs? I know the real gun was heavier, but not by a great deal.

RareBrit
Jul 25, 2008

Easy one this.

A spring airgun has a bloody great piston hammering back and forth (yes, both ways) during the firing cycle. The transfer of energy from the piston-spring to the pellet is grossly inefficient. You simply need more energy to get that pellet to move.

Compare that to the sweet firing .22rf, where most of the energy from the burning powder is transferred to the bullet, the excess being lost as noise, heat and the very slight obturation of the bullet. Energy transfer is far more efficient, and as a result you don't need a lot of energy, which results overall in less recoil.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Because the felt recoil of the air rifle isn't proportional to the muzzle energy.
Felt recoil can be different according to varying factors- muzzle energy, weapon weight, barrel length, and most importantly the type of action that the weapon uses.
In your case, it's the air rifle's spring action violently slamming forward that you felt as recoil. A bolt-action .22 rifle has almost no recoil, both because of the cartridge's small energy and because there are almost no moving parts.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

I'm moving soon from VA to Connecticut. I have a couple milsurp bolt-action rifles, an SKS and two centerfire pistols (nothing with a >10 round clip, if that matters.) Any major funky CT laws I need to worry about? I know I need to submit a change of address on my C&R.

This also involves driving with said guns through New York City - any advice on how to do this most legally, other than put them unloaded in the trunk, under other stuff, and don't stop for nothin'? Do I need to specifically take the bolts out or anything like that?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

This also involves driving with said guns through New York City - any advice on how to do this most legally, other than put them unloaded in the trunk, under other stuff, and don't stop for nothin'? Do I need to specifically take the bolts out or anything like that?

I don't know about the CT stuff, but if you keep your guns unloaded and in a separate container than any ammunition, you will be fine driving through NY. Federal law protects you from NY laws if what you are transporting is legal in the state you begin in, the state you end in, and you don't take any extended stops. (extended meaning like 2+ days in one place)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Snowdens Secret posted:

Keep them unloaded in a locked case and you're totally fine.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Inspector_71 posted:

Keep them unloaded in a locked case and you're totally fine.
hahaha

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pitch posted:

hahaha

Eh?

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Pitch posted:

hahaha

Ya what the fuuuuuuuuck.

That is how that poo poo done yo.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Inspector_71 posted:

Eh?
There's no way to transport a firearm through NYC and be "totally fine". You will be arrested if it's discovered, then maybe your lawyer can pull out peaceable journey before the firearm is lost in evidence.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

stupid iphone spellcheck.

I meant to say if he has bags with $$ on them and a note to which state they should go to.

but its kind of pointless now (and then?)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pitch posted:

There's no way to transport a firearm through NYC and be "totally fine". You will be arrested if it's discovered, then maybe your lawyer can pull out peaceable journey before the firearm is lost in evidence.

Well I meant legally. And if you have a locked case the cops would have to have a warrant to get at the guns anyway.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Inspector_71 posted:

And if you have a locked case the cops would have to have a warrant to get at the guns anyway.
Oh my word do you seriously believe this?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pitch posted:

Oh my word do you seriously believe this?

I have no doubt that cops would gently caress your poo poo up if they wanted to but NYPD officers aren't some kind of comic book villain sitting at the NYC borders pulling over every out-of-state car. And even if they did pull you over they wouldn't immediately toss your car.

I don't know why you think he'd have any trouble with the guns in a locked case in his trunk unless he insisted on driving over 100MPH the whole way while weaving between lanes.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Inspector_71 posted:

I have no doubt that cops would gently caress your poo poo up if they wanted to but NYPD officers aren't some kind of comic book villain sitting at the NYC borders pulling over every out-of-state car. And even if they did pull you over they wouldn't immediately toss your car.

I don't know why you think he'd have any trouble with the guns in a locked case in his trunk unless he insisted on driving over 100MPH the whole way while weaving between lanes.

Is he a minority? Because then the chances of his car getting tossed during a normal traffic stop go up astronomically.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

They don't need bolt cutters or a warrant. Murky probably cause is all they need to search the entire vehicle and they may compel you to open any locked containers inside (or arrest you for obstruction, then cut it open at the station).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Pitch posted:

They don't need bolt cutters or a warrant. Murky probably cause is all they need to search the entire vehicle and they may compel you to open any locked containers inside (or arrest you for obstruction, then cut it open at the station).

That's the really lovely part...even if you assert your constitutional rights and refuse to let them search the car/open a locked container without a warrant, they'll just arrest you for obstruction and do it anyway.

Fake edit: For the record, that's not an NYPD thing so much as an "all but standard U.S. law enforcement" thing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pitch posted:

Ok well I guess that I have a trustworthy face because cops have never searched my car during a traffic stop, even when it reeked of beer once.

The only time I've ever had an officer of the law open up my car was by Canadians at the border actually. I'm 99% sure they thought I was smuggling guns or something because the guy at the window asked me if I had any at least 4 times.

EDIT: Also does anybody know where I can find figures on the amount of NYC gun ownership (not carry) permit applications there are vs how many are approved?

EDIT2: And how does gun certification/de-certification in CA work?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 11, 2010

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

For the approved-for-sale list of handguns, or just 'what does it take to get a gun in CA?'?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

omgLerkHat! posted:

For the approved-for-sale list of handguns, or just 'what does it take to get a gun in CA?'?

For the approved handgun list.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

For the approved handgun list.

This is the relevant legal poo poo (It's quite long). http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12125.php

The short version is thus:

Company X wants their guns on the list. Assuming the guns in question fulfill all requirements (ie loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect, etc), they submit 3 copies of the handgun in question to an independant, state-approved laboratory who will then shoot 600 rounds through each pistol and determine if it's reliable. Reliable meaning:

(1) Fires the first 20 rounds without a malfunction that is not due to ammunition that fails to detonate. (2) Fires the full 600 rounds with no more than six malfunctions that are not due to ammunition that fails to detonate and without any crack or breakage of an operating part of the handgun that increases the risk of injury to the user.

This whole testing proceedure is payed for by the manufacturer of the pistol of course. After that, the lab drop-tests the handgun by putting a primed but blank round in ti and dropping it from various heights at various angles to see if it goes off. If it does, you fail.

After that, you've passed (yay!). You can now pay the state an annual fee just to keep your newly registered gun model on the list. If you ever stop paying this fee, it'll get taken off the list. However, if it stays on the list, it's grandfathered in and even if new regulations require more features to certify as safe (like LCIs and mag safeties), you're still good. Unless it falls off the list, in which case it'll never get back on it because it no longer satisfies those requirements, even though it was previously on the list. :suicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I love state sponsored extortion.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

omgLerkHat! posted:

This is the relevant legal poo poo (It's quite long). http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12125.php

The short version is thus:

Company X wants their guns on the list. Assuming the guns in question fulfill all requirements (ie loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect, etc), they submit 3 copies of the handgun in question to an independant, state-approved laboratory who will then shoot 600 rounds through each pistol and determine if it's reliable. Reliable meaning:

(1) Fires the first 20 rounds without a malfunction that is not due to ammunition that fails to detonate. (2) Fires the full 600 rounds with no more than six malfunctions that are not due to ammunition that fails to detonate and without any crack or breakage of an operating part of the handgun that increases the risk of injury to the user.

This whole testing proceedure is payed for by the manufacturer of the pistol of course. After that, the lab drop-tests the handgun by putting a primed but blank round in ti and dropping it from various heights at various angles to see if it goes off. If it does, you fail.

After that, you've passed (yay!). You can now pay the state an annual fee just to keep your newly registered gun model on the list. If you ever stop paying this fee, it'll get taken off the list. However, if it stays on the list, it's grandfathered in and even if new regulations require more features to certify as safe (like LCIs and mag safeties), you're still good. Unless it falls off the list, in which case it'll never get back on it because it no longer satisfies those requirements, even though it was previously on the list. :suicide:

Now that is just asinine. How do the people in rural areas of CA allow poo poo like this?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Pitch posted:

Ok, Pitch, I have always appreciated the fact that you don't immediately agree with authority, but that's crazy. Obstruction has a high burden of proof, and it would be a hell of a lot easier to just lie and make a claim for probable cause. Charging someone for obstruction and saying in the report that it was because he would not open a locked case would get you a scolding at the very least when your case was thrown out.

It's easier and safer to just perjure the police report.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Now that is just asinine. How do the people in rural areas of CA allow poo poo like this?

More of the people in CA live in the cities I guess.

The best is that every single type of pistol needs to be on the list, so certain XDs are alright while others aren't when the only difference is caliber or something.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Fremry posted:

Obstruction has a high burden of proof, and it would be a hell of a lot easier to just lie and make a claim for probable cause.
Huh? I'm not sure what you're talking about. He already has probably cause in this scenario. Obstruction is for refusing him access to the vehicle and its contents when he is lawfully entitled to search it.

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

Pitch posted:

probably cause

:eng101: PROBABLE cause

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

More of the people in CA live in the cities I guess.

The best is that every single type of pistol needs to be on the list, so certain XDs are alright while others aren't when the only difference is caliber or something.

Not just that, but a while ago the sights, grips, and finish on a gun was taken into account when determining whether it was the same as another one of the same make/model. So each individual finish and set of grips that came standard on different models was required to be tested. You can even go to this site http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/removed.pdf and see all the old duplicate models of pistols falling off the list after the state either lost a lawsuit over this poo poo, or pulled its head out of its rear end and changed things so that finishes, sights, and grips no longer make a gun a different model. Para Ordnance alone let 27 pistols fall off the list in 2004 and 71 in 2005. :psyduck: I don't think I miscounted, but I doubt those are all unique models, a lot seem like the same model with different finishes if their model numbers/specs are any indication.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

foghorn posted:

:eng101: PROBABLE cause
jesus gently caress how did I typo that in two different posts oh god :saddowns:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

They're too busy taking away the rights of gays to notice.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Ok well I guess that I have a trustworthy face because cops have never searched my car during a traffic stop, even when it reeked of beer once.

The only time I've ever had an officer of the law open up my car was by Canadians at the border actually. I'm 99% sure they thought I was smuggling guns or something because the guy at the window asked me if I had any at least 4 times.

EDIT: Also does anybody know where I can find figures on the amount of NYC gun ownership (not carry) permit applications there are vs how many are approved?

I'm late to the party here, on one hand I trust that if you do the right thing, everything will be fine. On another note, it seems as if there are people who are pretty much trying to do the right thing then get screwed over. See "Gregg C. Revell v. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey"

tl;dr version of the case is "Dude flies through NJ, misses connecting flight, airline screws up and sends dude to destination on a bus. Dude finds his luggage (and checked gun) was not on the bus. Dude goes back to airport to get luggage and misses his bus. Dude gets a hotel room with his luggage comes back to airport to finish his trip and is arrested/convicted. Federal court rules that 926A did not apply.

Seems like your journey with 926A protection covers getting gas, taking a poo poo, having dinner, but not visiting Aunt Bernice.

Cheap Bourbon fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cheap Bourbon posted:

Seems like your journey with 926A protection covers getting gas, taking a poo poo, having dinner, but not visiting Aunt Bernice.

I would always assume that it only covered a same-day trip. Sucks about Revell though, did he actually serve time?