Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

TFR Photonerds: A friend is selling her Nikon D200 for $630. Good deal/Bad deal? This would be my first non-training-wheels camera. It will be used to take photos of guns and maybe butts.

vvv AF-SDX Nikkor 18-55mm

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Uncle Caveman posted:

TFR Photonerds: A friend is selling her Nikon D200 for $630. Good deal/Bad deal? This would be my first non-training-wheels camera. It will be used to take photos of guns and maybe butts.

Does it come with lenses?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Mxlplx posted:

I am kinda suprised to have never heard of these.
You're surprised you've never heard of a .380 manufactured by six guys in Florida?

Robot Battalion
May 26, 2001

Pitch posted:

You're surprised you've never heard of a .380 manufactured by six guys in Florida?

I am pretty sure this is how Kel-Tec started.

I think lurking / semi-posting in TFR for a few years has spoiled me on gun info. I am always suprised when I see a gun that hasn't been talked about a million times here (except that one .50AE gun).

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Mxlplx posted:

I am pretty sure this is how Kel-Tec started.
Yeah but the guy who founded Kel-Tec was known for having designed and manufactured many well-known firearms prior to that.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Uncle Caveman posted:

Sounds like a fair deal if the camera is in good shape and comes with all original accessories. keh.com has the body only in excellent condition for $599.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Average/decent deal and the kit lens can be considered free. Start watching lens prices now, and when you get the D200, play with the kit lens. You'll figure out quickly what focal ranges you want to be in and then you can buy a better lens in that focal range using the knowledge you've gained by watching lens prices in the meantime.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

I blue myself...

I lent my father in law a Ruger Standard (Mk I) .22. He somehow hosed up the bluing in the two weeks he had it. There's a spot where something ate through. The spot is just above the safety and is about .25" high by .75" long. The thing doesn't have a ton of sentimentality for me nor did it cost me much money, but it is a bicentennial edition stamped "Made in the 200th year of American liberty." He offered to have it re-blued.

So the question gents is, do I take him up on the offer or I just leave it? It's the second "newest" gun I have. I'm a history guy and a milsurper at heart and I know where I am when it comes to "history." I just don't know where this damned gun stands as far as that is concerned. I'm leaning towards just leaving it.

He has sweaty thumbs and didnt wipe down your gun. :P

I dunno, its not particularly collectible, doesnt hold sentimental value to you, I'd keep it as is. Getting it re-blued would probably be a significant portion of the amount you paid . If you do decide to get it re-blued, Ruger has (had?) very reasonable prices for this service. $80 for a factory re-blue job which doesn't seem terribly unreasonable.

fake edit: Hahah, they charge $35 to reassemble your "Box of Ruger" when you can't get it back together

WimpBastard
Feb 11, 2006

"sorry about my dick"

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm having some trouble improving my offhand shooting, and I've identified a couple of things I'm doing wrong and can fix, but one thing I don't understand is with your support arm you're supposed to somehow rest it on your bone to take the strain off your muscle, but I have no idea what is supposed to rest on what. I can't find a stable position for it.

If you want to shoot in that position you pretty much have to lean way back, thrust your hips toward the target and rest your elbow on your hip.

Depending on how long your arms are, this can be pretty awkward. I think using a sling for stability is better.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

Cheap Bourbon posted:

fake edit: Hahah, they charge $35 to reassemble your "Box of Ruger" when you can't get it back together

Hahaha. Damned bargain if you ask me.

Thanks to you and bunnielab. I'll just let it be.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Mxlplx posted:

What is TFR's opinion of the Diamondback .380?

I was a a local shop trying out Ruger LCPs and I was shown this pistol in addition to the LCP. It's basically a tiny Glock in 380 and shares the same dimensions. I am kinda suprised to have never heard of these.

I've seen these a few times but I haven't gotten the chance to shoot one. They seem like good little .380s though.

edit: i r gud wit numberz.

Comfy sponk fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 14, 2010

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Comfy sponk posted:

They seem like good little .308s though.

A pocket .308 would be godly.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Propagandalf posted:

A pocket .308 would be godly.

What's the ancient Norse god of breaking your wrist?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Presumably the same one as fireballs.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

I'm going to my first gun show this weekend. Never owned a gun. Shot one once. It was an old WW2 .30-something-or-other and it bruised the hell out of my collarbone. I am almost positive I am not going to buy something this weekend because I'd like to buy used and I don't know good from poo poo.

I'd like some pointers though. Is it OK to touch stuff? Things to avoid doing so that I don't end up looking like a fucktard. That kind of stuff.

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

The Dregs posted:

I'm going to my first gun show this weekend. Never owned a gun. Shot one once. It was an old WW2 .30-something-or-other and it bruised the hell out of my collarbone. I am almost positive I am not going to buy something this weekend because I'd like to buy used and I don't know good from poo poo.

I'd like some pointers though. Is it OK to touch stuff? Things to avoid doing so that I don't end up looking like a fucktard. That kind of stuff.

Don't buy at a gunshow. Might get funny looks if you touch something without asking. People dislike having guns (even unloaded ones) pointed at them. If gunshows in your area are anything like the ones here, you'd probably be better off saving the gun show admission money and using it as gas money to bribe a friend/relative into taking you shooting.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

^^^^^
Yeah, definitely have someone take you shooting before you go out and buy something. Even better, try to shoot something similar to what you'd like to (eventually) buy.
The gun shows in Colorado are actually all right for buying, in that you'll get NIB merch for the same price as in stores because it's basically a big gun store. There's a gun show background check law that really kills private sales.

The Dregs posted:

It's a very good idea, even with new, plain-jane production stuff, to ask the person running the booth, "do you mind if I handle X?" or "can I have a closer look at Y?" Along the same lines, always ask if the owner minds if you dry-fire it, especially with older stuff, and try not to dink around with levers, buttons, and stuff that you cannot identify. A goon had a story a while ago where he accidentally hit the takedown lever on an Uzi or something.

Another fantastically good idea (mandatory, even) is to always clear the firearm before handling it. That is, visually inspect the firing chamber to see that there's nothing in it, even if the person giving it to you does it right in front of you. It shows that you're careful.

A lot of people don't do this at gun shows, but minding your muzzle direction is still important. In a crowd, it can be tough, but just hang in there.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

I mostly want to look, really. But thanks for the info. if they are that bad, I guess I don't need to sweat it. Plus my son's all excited. Maybe I'll buy him a genuine replica ninja star or something.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

thermobollocks posted:

Another fantastically good idea (mandatory, even) is to always clear the firearm before handling it. That is, visually inspect the firing chamber to see that there's nothing in it, even if the person giving it to you does it right in front of you. It shows that you're careful.

A lot of people don't do this at gun shows, but minding your muzzle direction is still important. In a crowd, it can be tough, but just hang in there.

Several gun show vendors that I've seen put zip ties on the guns so the action can't even be opened.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Mxlplx posted:

What is TFR's opinion of the Diamondback .380?

I was a a local shop trying out Ruger LCPs and I was shown this pistol in addition to the LCP. It's basically a tiny Glock in 380 and shares the same dimensions. I am kinda suprised to have never heard of these.

This gun looks like it has downs. I've never heard of DB before.

edit:

I guess it looks better when not at an angle

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

wilfoy posted:

Several gun show vendors that I've seen put zip ties on the guns so the action can't even be opened.

Ours cable lock them down.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

wilfoy posted:

At many shows around here, that's required by the people putting on the show.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

I've seen different things. Some zip tie the action shut. Some run a zip tie through the barrel. Others zip-tie the trigger to the rear.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

I actually hate the ZipTie thing especially when buying used. I want to cycle the actions of the guns I'm looking at to see if they are operating smoothly.

For the guy asking before about first handgun:
If you only have the money for one gun ($500), then go with a nice 9mm. 9mm is cheap enough to practice with and serve as a carry piece.

If you have enough for two guns, go with a .22LR and anything else you want. Use your 22 for practice, and the larger gun for your carry piece.

Since you mentioned 9mm, you could always look at something like a 22LR which usually runs around $300ish and something like a CZ vz 82 which are going for $200ish right now. I'm seriously considering one since it is both a C&R gun, and would give me some options other then my 1911. It isn't as powerful as a 9mm Luger cartridge, but it should be at least as good as a 380.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

HFX posted:

I actually hate the ZipTie thing especially when buying used. I want to cycle the actions of the guns I'm looking at to see if they are operating smoothly.

Most people, in my experience, will remove these zipties if they think you are going to buy the gun.

Also, there is nothing wrong with buying a gun at a show, you just have to know what you are looking at and what going rates are. That said, it isn't a good idea if you are new to the game.

Robot Battalion
May 26, 2001

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

This gun looks like it has downs. I've never heard of DB before.

edit:

I guess it looks better when not at an angle

It actually felt nice. However, I am a bit leery about its "ZERO-ENERGY" striker (patent pending). Also, the LCP is $100 cheaper through Davidson's to my local store so that's that.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

Not at a gun show, but a gun shop. I ran into a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 carbine, and wanted to show my girlfriend how stupid and awesome that stupid gun is and how it folds up and whatnot. Someone there put the anti-theft thing through the trigger guard, the trigger guard that you pull forward away from the gun to fold it in half. I hope no one has stolen the stupid thing.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

WimpBastard posted:

If you want to shoot in that position you pretty much have to lean way back, thrust your hips toward the target and rest your elbow on your hip.

Depending on how long your arms are, this can be pretty awkward. I think using a sling for stability is better.

Wait seriously? I guess that explains a lot about why I havent been able to get the position right, I thought I was meant to rest my elbow on my ribs somehow. Not sure how I'm meant to get my cheek on the gun with my elbow resting on my hip though, I have enough trouble getting my cheek on the gun when my arm isnt down that low.

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks

Someone want to explain to me why Sigs are good firearms? I'm sure they're decent, but the ones I've seen (haven't fondled one yet) look heavy and seem to have a low ammo capacity.

Is there any reason for buying one over a Glock, beyond aesthetics/personal choice/brand loyalty/novelty?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Phrost posted:

Someone want to explain to me why Sigs are good firearms? I'm sure they're decent, but the ones I've seen (haven't fondled one yet) look heavy and seem to have a low ammo capacity.

Is there any reason for buying one over a Glock, beyond aesthetics/personal choice/brand loyalty/novelty?

I find Glocks uncomfortable to use, I don't care for the grip angle, and the Gen4 stippling means I have to use gloves since it tears up my delicate flower hands.

Unless you're in a heavily regulated place, Sigs have fantastic magazine capacity, and the weight translates into more pleasant shooting.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

It comes down to personal choice. Buy what you like. Try shooting a Sig and see if you like it. If you do, great. If not, oh well. Sig makes quality guns that a lot of people really like, but if you don't enjoy shooting them, or you like a Glock better, so be it.

Robot Battalion
May 26, 2001

Sigs vs. Glocks to me is a battle of preferences. Both companies went completely difference ways to build a reliable world class auto-loader.

My Sig preference is because I feel the triggers are way better for the way I shoot than Glocks. The higher bore axis is balanced by the guns greater mass. I feel (regardless of similar reliability) more comfortable with a hammer driven pistol over a striker.

If you prefer Glock, stick with it and don't worry. You are just as right in loving those pig bricks than I am in worshiping my superior Swiss god hand.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Anyone who tells you that Glock ergonomics are as good as or better than those of a Sig is either a liar, a lunatic or was exposed to hearty doses of thalidomide in utero. Glock ergos are okay, and can be adapted to. Sig ergos are just far, far better.

edit replace "ergos" with "triggers" and you have another valid critique.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

walrusman posted:

Anyone who tells you that Glock ergonomics are as good as or better than those of a Sig is either a liar, a lunatic or was exposed to hearty doses of thalidomide in utero. Glock ergos are okay, and can be adapted to. Sig ergos are just far, far better.

Neither was designed by JMB. Therefore, they are inferior items (even if I like both).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

I just got a box of .357 SIG FMJ el-cheapo ammo for plinking/practice duty. I've noticed that there is a difference in the bullet setback across the box, although nothing more than a mm or two. I suspect it'll affect the accuracy of the rounds, but that isn't something I'm terribly worried about.

Will this affect anything else (IE, is it dangerous) or is it "welcome to cheap ammo"?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

walrusman posted:

I came to this realization the other day. My 19 just doesn't fit me like it should. Gonna go gunshopping when I have some more free funds.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

walrusman posted:

Again, personal preference. Maybe its just that I am used to the Glock angle, but it would take me some time to adapt to a Sig... That is, if I could stand their triggers. I abhor DA/SA, and dislike DAK greatly.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Black Stormy posted:

I abhor DA/SA,

This is probably the major thing holding me back. I'm still working on the fundamentals, and the fact that the DA/SA is inconsistent in pull totally screws me up.

When my general accuracy and handling skills get better, I'll go in that direction, but not right now. I need a consistent trigger pull.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

For bullseye shooting, it's annoying because the difference between DA and SA is so noticeable. For things like IDPA, IPSC, and self-defense, you're not going to notice the first heavy trigger pull. The gun comes out and you're shooting, just like with any other pistol.

I honestly don't remember noticing the first DA pull in any of the countless IPSC and IDPA matches I've shot, except for one particular stage where your first shot had to be a very precise one at a long distance, but that was more akin to bullseye shooting.

Same thing with the DAK. Maybe it's because when I first got into combat shooting it was on revolvers, but a long reset for every shot doesn't bother me. I just don't notice it. Especially given how much lighter the DAK trigger is than the typical double action wheelgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

DA/SA is awful and the enemy of proper pistol design and proper marksmanship. Consistency will always reign king.

If SIGs werent so goddamn sexy I would hate them on basic principle. As it is I consider them a really good looking crazy chick who I want to play around with and look at but I hate myself for it.