Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milton
Jan 3, 2005

...but then they switched from the 1911 to the beretta but I kept my 1911 because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the rounds for the 1911...

I need a good-value spotting scope. Although I'm mostly going to use it to spot .22 shots at 25m, it'd be nice if it was good for occasional longer range stuff. Recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Milton posted:

I need a good-value spotting scope. Although I'm mostly going to use it to spot .22 shots at 25m, it'd be nice if it was good for occasional longer range stuff. Recommendations?

I've got one of whatever chinese poo poo brand they sell at Dick's for $40. I think it's a 7-10x? Whatever, it's cheap and comes with a laughably crappy tripod, but it's functional.

.22 at 25m works just fine. .22 at 50m works too.

Out at 100m .22 is a tad small, but if you're using anything other than simple, mostly-white targets it is doable-ish. .30 shows up Ok, though.

Out past 100m and good loving luck. The scope magnifies enough to make out the target, but the lenses are poo poo so everything is bit blurry, which makes picking out small bullet holes problematic.

That's the absolute bottom of the spotting-scope pile, and I fully admit and acknowledge that it's a hunk of crap, but if you're poor, cheap, or both and are working inside 100m it's a half decent "good enough for now" solution.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've got one of whatever chinese poo poo brand they sell at Dick's for $40. I think it's a 7-10x? Whatever, it's cheap and comes with a laughably crappy tripod, but it's functional.

Whatever you do, make sure the scope is compatible with other tripods, and not some POS proprietary thing. I have one of these scopes (or at least, the same class), and the tripod broke within 3 months. As long as your scope can screw onto a standard camera tripod, you can use it with a better setup.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Whiteboy posted:

Tell me about AK's please as I know nothing. My friends are looking to purchase an AK and asked me which I'd recommend. Turns out, I don't really know anything about these rifles. If someone could give me a quick rundown on decent AK's under ~$800 it would be appreciated. Also which ones would you avoid? They live in Arizona if that matters.

Your state-level laws should have no ill effects on your ability to buy one. I know relatively little about AKs but here's a platform to build from.

Romanian AKs are the bottom of the barrel. WASR-10s (7.62x39) and -2s (5.45x39) are pretty crappy, thrown together and clumsily converted by the trained monkeys at Century. Lots of their front sights are canted, the magwells were widened with angle grinders (oh, make sure you get one that accepts doublestack mags or you're a gullible idiot), and they're just rough all around. They are significantly cheaper than any other option. I got mine for just over $300 before the barackalypse and I think they've come back down to around $350-400 again. If possible, test fire it to make sure it works before you buy. I didn't test fire it, but mine works like a champ. If you want cheap, slutty, blasty and NOW, that's what you want.

Next up come the other former Soviet states. Polish AKs are supposed to be pretty good, and a Tantal that shoots cheap surplus 5.45x39 is one of the cheapest ways to shoot centerfire ammo out there. I think those are like $450 but that's part of the homework you should do, or someone else can tell you more. The build quality is noticeably nicer, but I don't know if you'll get any extra accuracy out of it. It's Soviet surplus ammo out of an AK, for gently caress's sake.

Less common but about on par with the Polish are the Bulgarians and probably a bunch of other little crap countries that nobody thinks about unless they're buying AKs or sex slaves. The Chinese might be a step above that, and Russians commanding the highest prices because of good build quality and pseudo-jingoism.

A few American companies make really nice AKs, notably Lancaster and Arsenal. I have had a chance to fire a couple of those and they're really really nice, but if I'm spending $800-1000 on a rifle it's not going to be an AK, y'know?

Hope this helps. :)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

Whatever you do, make sure the scope is compatible with other tripods, and not some POS proprietary thing. I have one of these scopes (or at least, the same class), and the tripod broke within 3 months. As long as your scope can screw onto a standard camera tripod, you can use it with a better setup.

When the crappy little tripod inevitably breaks (although it shows no signs of doing so - fucker has looked ready to fall apart any time for 3 years now) I plan on either duct taping the scope to a brick or shooting it, whichever strikes me as a more worthwhile use of my time and money.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Cyrano4747 posted:

When the crappy little tripod inevitably breaks (although it shows no signs of doing so - fucker has looked ready to fall apart any time for 3 years now) I plan on either duct taping the scope to a brick or shooting it, whichever strikes me as a more worthwhile use of my time and money.

Alternatively, you could do this:

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

walrusman posted:

Hope this helps. :)

Pretty much copied this whole post and sent it to him signing it "random guy named walrusman on the internet".

Thanks!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alternatively, you could do this:

No bullshit, I've got about half of a K98k stock that I've been sitting on and trying to figure out SOMETHING to do with for a few years now.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Whiteboy posted:

Tell me about AK's please as I know nothing. My friends are looking to purchase an AK and asked me which I'd recommend. Turns out, I don't really know anything about these rifles. If someone could give me a quick rundown on decent AK's under ~$800 it would be appreciated. Also which ones would you avoid? They live in Arizona if that matters.

Well, what do they want to do with it?

Best in show if they're willing to play gunsmith a bit is get a Saiga in whatever caliber you're feeling, not 7.62 anything that's dumb. You'll have pretty close to as good as AKs get function-wise and enough money left over to do a respectable home conversion (or buy a bunch of nice parts and pound them in with a log splitter, if you're me); if you do a fixed stock probably still plenty of cash for ammo too.

Milsurp AKs are pretty much milsurp AKs. Like walrusman said stay the gently caress away from anything Century got their claws on, I haven't seen any single-stack WASRs in ages but still just steer clear, other than that if it's got brown furniture and isn't obviously totally hosed any difference between it and any other AK is gonna be mostly cosmetic. Buy an AMD-65 they look hard as hell. Buy some personalized Balkan war furniture and reenact Srebenica in your backyard. Whatever.

Hell, for $800 you can probably land a no-frills Galil without trying too hard. That's a lot of money by AK standards.

Probably a waste of money in this case but you can take pretty much anything to a camera shop that does servicing and they'll install a proper tripod mount on it for ~$30-40. Some busted Chinese glass would not be even close to the goofiest thing I had mounted back in my too-poor-for-a-real-studio days.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 20, 2011

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

George Zimmer posted:

I do not.

Good answer!

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

walrusman posted:

Your state-level laws should have no ill effects on your ability to buy one. I know relatively little about AKs but here's a platform to build from.

Romanian AKs are the bottom of the barrel. WASR-10s (7.62x39) and -2s (5.45x39) are pretty crappy, thrown together and clumsily converted by the trained monkeys at Century. Lots of their front sights are canted, the magwells were widened with angle grinders (oh, make sure you get one that accepts doublestack mags or you're a gullible idiot), and they're just rough all around. They are significantly cheaper than any other option. I got mine for just over $300 before the barackalypse and I think they've come back down to around $350-400 again. If possible, test fire it to make sure it works before you buy. I didn't test fire it, but mine works like a champ. If you want cheap, slutty, blasty and NOW, that's what you want.

This was my AK :smith:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I really don't think that WASR-10s are that awful, as long as you can inspect it in person to make sure that the front sight block is straight and verify that a mag will actually fit. They're a little rough, but they still shoot bullets just fine and the wood is easily cleaned up with some steel wool and boiled linseed oil.

If you're fine with a barebones AK, there's nothing wrong with getting a WASR-10 and putting the rest of the budget towards a huge rear end pile of ammo.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Mr_Person posted:

I really don't think that WASR-10s are that awful, as long as you can inspect it in person to make sure that the front sight block is straight and verify that a mag will actually fit. They're a little rough, but they still shoot bullets just fine and the wood is easily cleaned up with some steel wool and boiled linseed oil.

If you're fine with a barebones AK, there's nothing wrong with getting a WASR-10 and putting the rest of the budget towards a huge rear end pile of ammo.

My wasr was fine. Even with a slightly canted sight block I still could hit pie plates at ~100 yards with a little kentucky windage. I would probably spring for something ever-so-slightly nicer if I was to get one now but I liked mine at the time.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Mr_Person posted:

They're okay plinkers but these days they cost just as much as far better-constructed AKs. Their day kinda ended with the AWB.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I like turtles posted:

You weren't convicted of a felony, and it doesn't sound like you have any charges pending, so you should be fine.

I was arrested for a crime I was neither charged with nor convicted of, and can confirm never having heard another word about it when buying guns, getting the FBI background check for hazmat on my CDL, background check to work in public schools, etc/anything. So you should be good, s'long as there's no special flag for drug arrests. That's why those forms always ask about convictions specifically. Arrests, particularly if you were never charged with a crime (much less convicted), don't come back to haunt you later.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

They're okay plinkers but these days they cost just as much as far better-constructed AKs. Their day kinda ended with the AWB.

But the other AKs you're mentioning are also Century guns, so your point's kinda moot there. My wasr-2 is a better 5.45 ak than a lot of Tantals for sure. Not all of them, of course.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

So I drive 45 minutes to the outdoor range only to find out that it's not open on Mondays and Tuesdays :what:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

BrainGlitch posted:

But the other AKs you're mentioning are also Century guns, so your point's kinda moot there. My wasr-2 is a better 5.45 ak than a lot of Tantals for sure. Not all of them, of course.

Saigas are assembled by Century now?

You can get non-Century kit guns (or kits) for any AK variant if you look around, and that's pretty much the only way I personally would go with milsurp AKs... but I like makin' poo poo, sometimes more than actually shooting it. I agree, when you're getting into surplus the specific original AK it came from doesn't matter nearly so much as how it was put together stateside. I rate WASR-10s a little lower than everything else because A. they were made in a time when Century was consistently awful, instead of all over the place quality-wise and B. either they're single-stack or they got cut to double-stack by someone with inevitably Century-level dremel talents.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 20, 2011

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

No, I was more alluding to your mention of the Tantal and the AMD. Also, my magwell is pretty much perfect and has 0 mag wobble so...yeah. If anything our combined testimonies are evidence that they really are ALLLLL AROUND with their quality control.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Hey, quick question. What are the legal lengths on a sawed off shotgun? I know it's 26 inches overall. What's the barrel length?

And if I find an old shotgun a family member sawed off that isn't worth diddly that doesn't meet the barrel length do I have to CHOP AND SCREWED the drat thing?

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser

Captain Log posted:

Hey, quick question. What are the legal lengths on a sawed off shotgun? I know it's 26 inches overall. What's the barrel length?

And if I find an old shotgun a family member sawed off that isn't worth diddly that doesn't meet the barrel length do I have to CHOP AND SCREWED the drat thing?

18 inches for a smooth bore

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Buy a new barrel or destroy it are your only options I believe.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Airbone Operation posted:

18 inches for a smooth bore

Phew, it comes in at just 18. I measured wrong the first time and got 17. It's just a JApanese single barrel 20 gauge that is going to live in my mom's closet since she lives alone.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Captain Log posted:

Phew, it comes in at just 18. I measured wrong the first time and got 17. It's just a JApanese single barrel 20 gauge that is going to live in my mom's closet since she lives alone.

Best way is to drop a dowel down the barrel and mark it. Then measure to the mark.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I think I might know a better way :flaccid: of course this only applies to 10 gauge :whatup:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Next question!!! What's the best HD load for a 20 gauge being fired by a woman in her fifties that isn't in great shape?

Hugbot
Mar 10, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Next question!!! What's the best HD load for a 20 gauge being fired by a woman in her fifties that isn't in great shape?

Looks like #4 buck is pretty common, back when I had only a 20 gauge I put slugs in it.

I mean, I hope your mom won't get hurt by it or anything, but getting hurt by recoil should be a secondary concern to, you know, her life. What do you mean by not in great shape?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Captain Log posted:

Just get her an MP3 player loaded up with the sound of the slide being racked. It'll scare off any intruder! :v:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My homeboys and I have owned at least three WASR-10s between us. There's mine:

And Kommienzuspadt's:

Filthy whore.

And my buddy Mike also had one that I can't seem to find a picture of right now. They were all rough but 100% functional through thousands of rounds of whatever cheap crap we could find on the ground. There was a time when I wanted to sell it, but I wouldn't think of it now.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Bigass Moth posted:

So I drive 45 minutes to the outdoor range only to find out that it's not open on Mondays and Tuesdays :what:

Heh, I drove a half-hour to my range this weekend (on one of the worst state roads known to man, gently caress you OH-47) which was supposed to be open after noon. Some dude just randomly closed it to work on installing extra shooting lanes or something. For $25/year it's hard to really bitch and it's good that they're working to improve it, but post on your website that it's gonna be closed or build a email list so you can notify people for unscheduled closures. So much for shooting my new Buckmark. :argh:

I did find a range that's only 5-10 minutes away instead so I have to go check the place out this weekend. Hopefully they have open membership.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

I just noticed Craptacular just got the "50th and last" pony avatar, so I guess the scourge is over.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

I just noticed Craptacular just got the "50th and last" pony avatar, so I guess the scourge is over.

uh oh.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Hugbot posted:

Looks like #4 buck is pretty common, back when I had only a 20 gauge I put slugs in it.

I mean, I hope your mom won't get hurt by it or anything, but getting hurt by recoil should be a secondary concern to, you know, her life. What do you mean by not in great shape?

She is just your typical fifty-something sorta overweight Southern woman. I wouldn't want her too scared of the gun to use it. She grew up shooting in the south so 12 gauge intimidates her.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Captain Log posted:

She grew up shooting in the south so 12 gauge intimidates her.

This makes no sense.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

thermobollocks posted:

This makes no sense.

My southern relatives like to take inexperienced shooters and swap their birdshot for magnum loads for a laugh. She always hated 12 gauge shotguns because of this fuckery and lack of solid explanation of how to shoot shotguns when young.

The sixties and seventies in Lawrenceburg, TN a girl shooting was more of a, "huhuh, a girls gonna shoot like a girl" type thing for the guys.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Log posted:

She is just your typical fifty-something sorta overweight Southern woman. I wouldn't want her too scared of the gun to use it. She grew up shooting in the south so 12 gauge intimidates her.
Have her practice with birdshot so she's comfortable with it then secretly swap in low recoil #4 buck for at the bedside. With the adrenaline pumping she won't even notice when (if/hopefully never) the time comes!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

So, my roommate mentioned a few months ago that he wanted to buy a handgun. Price limit of about a grand. I spent the next month slowly working the right ideas, opinions, and things to look for in a first gun into his mind.

We went to J&E in Bellefonte, PA over the weekend. The shop had been closed for about twenty minutes, but the shop owner happily opened back up for us. We walked in and looked over the sparse selection (most of their inventory was at a local gun show) and I started BSing with the owner for a bit. Eventually, we decided to leave and promised to return when they had their guns back in shop. While leaving my roommate mentioned that he'd seen a gun that caught his eye, and he wanted to see if it was comfortable. When he said the name of what he'd seen (I had missed it), my heart filled with the pride of a parent watching their kid score his first touchdown.

The FNP-45. For $630, new, three mags.

After a minute or so of aiming and dry-firing he said, "Holy poo poo. I'll take it." The shop owner said he'd hook my roommate up with all sorts of free FN goodies because it was his first gun, and they immediately started the paperwork.

As it turns out, you can't buy a gun in PA with a Texas ID! :suicide:

I am a retard. Never even occurred to me that my roommate wasn't officially a PA resident. So the shop's holding on to the gun while he gets a PA ID.

In the mean time, did I steer my friend down the true path?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

.45 is a poor choice for first-gun calibers, but the FNP line is pretty slick. A 1911 was my second gun. I don't regret getting it, but I was much happier with it once I knew how to hit targets for less than $3/mag.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Maybe this world is another planet's hell...

I agree with Propagandalf. I personally started off with a 9mm and developed a flinch. I guess just make sure that he has proper form and technique when you guys hit the range. More responsibility on you to make sure he gets fundamentals down.

He will enjoy that FN 45 for years to come and won't regret it for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

LimburgLimbo posted:

Someone else got a custom title that claimed it was the last one as well (Beeb, maybe) and obviously it wasn't over.