Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Local Scheels Sporting Goods has a brand new Winchester Sx2 12g 3" and 3 1/2" Mag 28" Barreled Synthetic Stock for $475. I can not really find much info about the Sx2 other than it is kinda like a FN SLP. I am assuming this is a pretty good deal that I should snag considering I have been looking for a semi auto shotgun for 3 gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Alain Perdrix posted:

I seem to recall you having mentioned that you shoot all of your firearms without earpro at least once. Did you do that with the GG? I imagine that must have hurt a ton.

I did. I was outside on top of a hill with nothing to reflect the sound and it wasn't really that loud. I didn't have any hot and heavy ammo so the round was going slow (like ~1200fps) and there was more of a deep "boom" rather then a sharp crack. The volume of sound is really heavily influenced by what is around to reflect it though and there is no way I would shoot it under a roof without earpro.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

A bit of a history question: When was the 30 mm round first widely used by world militaries? I'm looking at some stuff that looks to be made of 30 mm shell casings and I was trying to date it (the bottoms don't appear to have any significant markings.)

Wikipedia (and the site it references) seem to vaguely point to WWII Germany making some use of the round but it seems that it has been used much more frequently since that time. All in all, I'm trying to figure out whether 30 mm round would've been used during WWI, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer, and so I figured TFR goons might know.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

A bit of a history question: When was the 30 mm round first widely used by world militaries? I'm looking at some stuff that looks to be made of 30 mm shell casings and I was trying to date it (the bottoms don't appear to have any significant markings.)

Wikipedia (and the site it references) seem to vaguely point to WWII Germany making some use of the round but it seems that it has been used much more frequently since that time. All in all, I'm trying to figure out whether 30 mm round would've been used during WWI, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer, and so I figured TFR goons might know.

Pictures would probably be helpful. There are/were a number of 30mm cartridges that have seen service throughout history.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

omgLerkHat! posted:

Pictures would probably be helpful. There are/were a number of 30mm cartridges that have seen service throughout history.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130410647168&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Looks similar to the shells used in this weapon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADEN_cannon

A picture of a cutaway of one of the shells (30x113b):

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

Looks similar to the shells used in this weapon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADEN_cannon

A picture of a cutaway of one of the shells (30x113b):

So it seems we're looking at post-WWII at the earliest? Cool picture, by the way. I know the shell shape is somewhat unique (most WWI shells I've seen are the same diameter down to the base) so I was hoping that might point in a definite direction.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not being a firearm owner, I don't know this:

How sensitive are primers? Are they only sensitive to sharp shocks like hammers striking them? Or would a gradual application of the same amount of force cause them to fire? What does one need to be worried about when handling ammunition (specifically concerning the primers)?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Anjow posted:

How sensitive are primers? Are they only sensitive to sharp shocks like hammers striking them? Or would a gradual application of the same amount of force cause them to fire? What does one need to be worried about when handling ammunition (specifically concerning the primers)?
They're entirely shock-sensitive. There's really no concern at all about handling them, only a completely ridiculous freak accident would lead to one accidentally being set off.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Anjow posted:

Not being a firearm owner, I don't know this:

View TFR's own gimpsuitjones reloading .223 with a hammer and cease worrying about handling primers.

Your fleshy fingers have no chance of setting one off.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Anjow posted:

What does one need to be worried about when handling ammunition (specifically concerning the primers)?

Don't use a round as a hammer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AntiTank posted:

I have this nail! And this other nail to nail it in with!

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

AntiTank posted:

Wasn't there some dude in Iraq who turned his hand(s) into Spaghetti-O's doing exactly this with a .50bmg round?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The main reason I was wondering was regarding cartridge belts, and if one would need to be careful when wearing them. Thanks for the information.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Anjow posted:

The main reason I was wondering was regarding cartridge belts, and if one would need to be careful when wearing them. Thanks for the information.

Are you talking about actual, linked machine gun ammo, or clothing belts with cartridges in them? Anything clothing is going to be deactivated -- probably not even real primers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

I have this nail! And this other nail to nail it in with!

I can only imagine what would happen if Fry were given two bullets.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

thermobollocks posted:

Are you talking about actual, linked machine gun ammo, or clothing belts with cartridges in them? Anything clothing is going to be deactivated -- probably not even real primers.

I'm talking about clothing, but I'm talking about the real thing that might be worn by hunters or clay shooters:

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/568/104641/beretta-b1one-cartridge-belt-ber-ca1601190706/

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Anjow posted:

I'm talking about clothing, but I'm talking about the real thing that might be worn by hunters or clay shooters:

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/568/104641/beretta-b1one-cartridge-belt-ber-ca1601190706/

Ahh. Yeah, you'll be fine, as long as you don't dive into a cloud full of firing pins. I'd be more worried about getting my ammunition dirty.
For a minute, I thought you were talking about these.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Ron Mexico posted:

View TFR's own gimpsuitjones reloading .223 with a hammer and cease worrying about handling primers.

Your fleshy fingers have no chance of setting one off.

This made me think back to my 11 year old self, gingerly sliding rounds of CCI .22LR into my 10/22's magazine, being so VERY careful not to be too rough, lest they go off.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

German ME-109 E and G fighters had a 30MM Cannon directly in the center of the nose, firing through the center of the propeller spinner. Me262 jet fighters were fitted with 4 30MM Cannons in the nose. In the ME109 it was primarily an anti-bomber weapon, with the velocity being too low to effectively use in a dogfight. The same held true with the Me262, but Hitler himself demanded that the 262 be armed with the heavy 30MM as opposed to the more utilitarian 20MM MG151.

I don't think there was any use in WWI.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Whenever I hear about Hitler's involvement in weapons production, I'm reminded of a seven year old boy.

AND THEN IT SHOULD HAVE HUGE GUNS THAT SHOOT FIRE AND CANDY AND BULLETS AND OTHER GUNS
Fuhrer, I don't believe that such a weapon exists, or is practical on an aircraft
CAN U AT LEAST MAKE IT DO SOME OF IT?
Well, we can put 20mm cannons in the nose and...
NO, MAKE IT BIGGER
Um, ok, I guess we can do 30mm cannons
THAT'S RIGHT WE CAN

UberMoose
Oct 17, 2007
Eventually, there WILL be buckshot.

I get the impression that as far as AR manufacturers go, Olympic isn't very well regarded on TFR. Any specific reason?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

I like turtles posted:

Whenever I hear about Hitler's involvement in weapons production, I'm reminded of a seven year old boy.

AND THEN IT SHOULD HAVE HUGE GUNS THAT SHOOT FIRE AND CANDY AND BULLETS AND OTHER GUNS
Fuhrer, I don't believe that such a weapon exists, or is practical on an aircraft
NO, MAKE IT BIGGER
THAT'S RIGHT WE CAN

Axe Reich?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

UberMoose posted:

I get the impression that as far as AR manufacturers go, Olympic isn't very well regarded on TFR. Any specific reason?

Poor quality parts, lack of attention to detail, poor quality control

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

UberMoose posted:

They're garbage. I owned one and it was a horrible experience. That thing could barely manage 100 rounds without jamming, even if it was sparkling clean at the start.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Just got an email from my boss that his buddy is selling a S&W 38. "Centennial" edition that is hammerless. No more info. $300.

While I asked for more info is that a buy?

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Captain Log posted:

Just got an email from my boss that his buddy is selling a S&W 38. "Centennial" edition that is hammerless. No more info. $300.

Yeah, easily. Even on the low end you can flip it for a $100 profit if you end up hating it.

Edit: assuming that this is one of the original vintage centennials and not one of the scandium frame things. If it has the lock hole on it, it's a fair price, but not a screaming deal.

hangedman fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 21, 2010

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

MrKatharsis posted:

They're garbage. I owned one and it was a horrible experience. That thing could barely manage 100 rounds without jamming, even if it was sparkling clean at the start.

Well, it IS an AR...

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

MrKatharsis posted:

I fired this AR15.

he is not kidding~

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

ffffff

More info.

As said before, if it's an original Centennial and it's in decent shape, that's a pretty good price.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I like turtles posted:

NO, MAKE IT BIGGER
THAT'S RIGHT WE CAN

I actually believe that is not so far from the truth. You have to remember that he got amphetamine injections from his personal physician practically every day after 1942.

Now i don't know how many speed freaks you personally know, but let me tell you, it substitutes verbal quantity for quality.

Maybe he was just constantly hosed up and babbling while everyone took notes all the time?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

UberMoose posted:

I've got an Olympic. It's a loving pretty princess. You have to clean it at least every range trip or it won't feed right. When it works, it's a fun gun and pretty accurate, but my god is it super prissy about being clean. It's also the only gun I have ever seen that tried to feed 3 bullets into the chamber at once.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

eine dose socken posted:

I actually believe that is not so far from the truth. You have to remember that he got amphetamine injections from his personal physician practically every day after 1942.

Now i don't know how many speed freaks you personally know, but let me tell you, it substitutes verbal quantity for quality.

Maybe he was just constantly hosed up and babbling while everyone took notes all the time?

I thought that was most amphetamine users. I know they were next to useless every time I've worked with them.

koebs
Sep 21, 2009

by Ozma

I was perusing a local pawn shop for snes games and came across a charles daly high power for 300. I don't know much about firearms but it seemed to have good finish still and I checked out the bore and there was no pitting or damage whatsoever. Is that a good deal, what should I know about it?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

http://www.hulu.com/road-no1

Pretty loving hardcore Band of Brothers style Korea show, from the perspective of Koreans, and actually in Korean.

High points so far: M1 Garand with bayonet used as hurled spear.

Holy poo poo they just hacked at a kid's hand with a big knife.

Too many blanks, but whatever, still pretty cool.

Eh, alright, so far there's a lot of back story on the main character. Not sure if it'll change or not.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 21, 2010

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

I like turtles posted:

Pretty loving hardcore Band of Brothers style Korea show, from the perspective of Koreans, and actually in Korean.

Eh, alright, so far there's a lot of back story on the main character. Not sure if it'll change or not.

Oh goddamn it I can't watch Hulu even when it's a Korean show!?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

infrared35 posted:

ffffff

More info.

As said before, if it's an original Centennial and it's in decent shape, that's a pretty good price.

It is a 640 PLEASE ADVISE thankyou

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Oh goddamn it I can't watch Hulu even when it's a Korean show!?

Can't you just SSH tunnel or whatever that workaround for IP-based regional blocks is?

poo poo, I know people that managed to get unfiltered internet while working/living in China. If people are routinely getting through the Great Firewall I imagine Hulu shouldn't be too hard.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Uncle Caveman posted:

Wasn't there some dude in Iraq who turned his hand(s) into Spaghetti-O's doing exactly this with a .50bmg round?

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/50BMGRoundDetonatedInHandjpg.jpg

Possibly depending on where you work, it's pretty graphic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

I like turtles posted:

Why is this in my loving thread?!